Start by marking “Stupid Christmas” as Want to Read:
Stupid Christmas

Stupid Christmas

2.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  318 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
A new collection of outrageous, laugh-out-loud anecdotes about the weird and wacky things that happen during the Christmas holidays, by the author of New York Times best-sellers Stupid American History and Americaâs Dumbest Criminals.

From absurd 911 calls to presidential philosophizing and foolish felons, Leland Gregory generates the best laughs by exposing the worst of hu
Published October 5th 2010 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published September 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Stupid Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stupid Christmas

Dale
May 21, 2013 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much of a book, but it is what it is advertised to be

Leland Gregory is a co-author of America's Dumbest Criminals: Wild and Weird Stories of Fumbling Felons, Clumsy Crooks, and Ridiculous Robbers , a book filled with a series of short, mostly humorous "filler on a newspaper page" type stories.

He follows this format with Stupid Christmas , a book full of short (1-2 pages) stories about Christmas. Some are amusing stories about Christmas history, some are about Christmas criminals, some are
Donna
Dec 11, 2011 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
Overall it was a cute read. It got some chuckles out of me. No plot to speak of, of course, but I wouldn't necessarily call someone that just rehashes dumb stories pulled from other sources an author. I'm not trying to say that to be mean or anything. I'm just saying Gregory, in my eyes, is more of an editor than an actual author. Sure he retold these stories to the reader but I didn't feel the voice was all that amazing or anything. Cute, but that's about it.

STUPID CHRISTMAS works well as a sto
An Abundance of Books
Jan 02, 2011 An Abundance of Books rated it it was ok
Stupid Christmas is a collection of Christmas themed news articles and police reports from around the world. While vaguely amusing (with the occasional heart-warming incident thrown in) I've basically learned that Christmas causes families to become violent; it's not rare for large groups of Santas to form drunken mobs; robbing a house via the chimney never ends well; the mall Santa does not want to be a form of discipline; the occasional Santa's grotto might be made out of used nuclear waste co ...more
Jaime O'Connell
Dec 10, 2014 Jaime O'Connell rated it it was amazing
Packed with short-and-quick humorous tails of Christmas-related incidents and trivia, this book is best shared aloud (at least in selected pieces) with a crowd. Bring it to the Holiday gathering after dinner and entertain relatives with your favorite excerpts.
And this whole book manages to pack itself with entertaining anecdotes without once mentioning the Fox News - Comedy Central arguments on the 'War Against Christmas'!
Yes, this book is definitely worth purchasing!
D.S. Williams
Jan 09, 2014 D.S. Williams rated it really liked it
I'm not certain why so many people have given bad reviews to this book - its well-written, entertaining and in some places quite funny in a 'Darwin Awards - High Level of Stupidity' manner.
Leland Gregory has collected numerous little snippets of amusement regarding the Christmas season, which allowed me to wile away a couple of hours enjoying reading about the crazy and idiotic things which can happen around December. Reminded me a lot of the Uncle John Bathroom Readers, which I also enjoy and r
Sarah Crawford
Feb 11, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was ok
This is a book that humorous most of the time about different things that have happened concerning Christmas and Santa Claus. These events are recorded from mainly the U.S. and European countries. A lot of them deal with people getting in legal trouble for being drunk or stealing.

I say most of them are funny but there are some that I think shouldn't have been included that are about a person being killed in some manner.
Doris
Jan 11, 2012 Doris rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great collection of zany tidbits of the kind of weird news that used to be shared at the end of the nightly television news. Stories such as the one where a young student had her classmates in tears over the 'truth about Santa' or people who steal goods before Christmas then try to return then afterwards or who steal items thinking they will make great gifts... sometimes with the help of the intended recipient.

You have to shake your head as you wonder "WHAT were they THINKI
Holly
Dec 13, 2010 Holly rated it liked it
From all the low ratings, you'd think people didn't know what they were getting into with this book! It's really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's supposed to be a collection of zany Christmas stories, as in stories that made it on the news. Some are downright stupid in nature and some are a little shocking. And some make you go, "What in the world were they thinking?" Example: Burglars that try to come down the chimney. Idiots.

It's not supposed to be a deep story; it's just entert
Julie
Dec 18, 2010 Julie rated it liked it
This book was not what I thought it would be when I downloaded it to my Kindle. However, I was looking for a Christmas themed book (trying to STILL get into the spirit this year!) so I chose this one to read. It's a collection of short stories and news clippings of events that have occurred involving a Christmas themes. Only a couple of the stories were humorous in my opinion but I did learn where some of the typical traditions originated. Fans of the popular Bathroom Reader series would enjoy t ...more
Robin
Entertaining and amusing but it's mostly just a bunch of quick, random facts and news stories that jump around a lot, like a collection of blog entries. Some of the stories could have done with a little bit more elaboration and a few of the entries didn't even seem to have a strong connection with Christmas. One entry in particular seemed like a strange and random anti-Sarah Palin plug since it had nothing to do with Christmas.

But if you like odd facts, stupid criminals and Darwin Awards, you'l
Margarette
Stupid book.
Elsi
This was a fair book. I'm glad it was free, since if I had paid for it I probably would have rated it much worse.

I read every article, but as I did, I kept thinking "This is the kind of stuff that gets sent in 'chain e-mails'." You know, those viral stories that circle and circle and circle the Internet but never seem to be able to flow down the drain.

There were some articles that I thought were even worth sharing, but most of them were simply amusing.
Kate
Dec 10, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I should have realized from the title that this wasn't going to be an uplifting holiday read, and it does deliver a lot of stories that show the worst of humanity during the Christmas season. Overall it's amusing, and I got it free last year for my Kindle so that goes a long for that second star. It would probably make a good bathroom book... not that I'm admitting to reading in the bathroom because I don't... at least not with my Kindle or Nook.
Stephanie
As many other reviewers stated, this isn't so much a book as a collection of amusing/interesting/strange articles that have some (tenuous) tie back to Christmas. A lot of robbers dressed as Santa, people getting stuck in chimneys, and people getting into fights over gifts. There are a few amusing stories among the repetitive crap and it's a very quick read but overall, probably not worth your time.
Sue
Jan 04, 2011 Sue rated it it was ok
OK-so there are only so many things that can be said about Christmas-or so I thought! Gregory has created a very funny, sad, weird list of Christmas oddities which did keep my interest for the most part, but i got a bit bogged down at the end-i just didn't really care anymore!
Robin
Dec 13, 2010 Robin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Corny articles taken from various newspapers about Christmas. Really no redeeming value whatsoever and if it wasn't a free Kindle book I wouldn't have bothered with it. Only the fact that it was a quick short read made it tolerable at all.
Terry
Jun 20, 2011 Terry rated it liked it
It was okay. I just read it over the weekend even though it's not Christmas. Quite a collection of newspaper articles about Stupid Christmas happenings. Burglars stuck in chimneys and that sort of thing. Easy quick read.
Jesse
Nov 27, 2010 Jesse rated it liked it
Definitely not your typical holiday book. It has stories that range from funny to odd to mildly disturbing but you're never bored. It's fun and random and can may just make you feel better about your holiday stress.
Joyce
Dec 27, 2010 Joyce rated it liked it
I found this book to be interesting. And like other readers, I was often asking myself "What were they thinking?" Humorous things that have been done or happened around Christmas through the years.
Rachel
Meh, maybe 1.5. It was another free Kindle download, and Christmas-y, so I gave it a shot. This collection of news stories just isn't that funny...or shocking..or stupid...or anything, really. Just, meh.
GoldenjoyBazyll
Dec 07, 2010 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it did not like it
This book is a compilation of news articles from around the world about stupid incidents an occurances that happen in relation to Christmas holiday- DON'T WASTE UR TIME! It is worse than stupid.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Dec 01, 2013 Rebecca (everyday reader) rated it really liked it
A rather interesting and sometimes funny grouping of Christmas stories about real people, some of them rather stupid, from all over the world. Amusing and enlightening read!!
Melissa
Dec 15, 2010 Melissa rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
This one is pretty lame. Just articles and silly news stories about Christmas. Looks like he's just trying to capitalize on his "Stupid" series. Glad I didn't pay for it.
Cannibalcrowley
Jan 30, 2011 Cannibalcrowley rated it did not like it
I knew what I was getting into when I started this book, but it turned out to be worse than I thought. It seemed like little to no effort was put into this book at all.
Michelle
Nov 30, 2011 Michelle rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a kindle freebie. All it is is a collection of idiotic news stories that happened around Christmas. It is like the Darwin awards of the holidays.
Amber Moore
This book is cute for what it is but it was kinda long for a compulation book. Try it if you are in the mood for quirky/
Tony
Dec 11, 2010 Tony rated it really liked it
I actually enjoyed this one more than the first book I read by Leland, more of the stories in it were new to me.
Christine
Dec 05, 2013 Christine rated it liked it
Silly little tidbits that are all Christmas related. Easy reading to keep on an end table for guests.
Lindsey
Dec 18, 2010 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Funny read, especially to a criminal defense lawyer since many of the stories involve legal stories.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Full of interesting bits of Christmas happenings. Not bad but not really that good either.
  • 25 Days, 26 Ways to Make This Your Best Christmas Ever
  • A Stingray Bit My Nipple!: True Stories from Real Travelers
  • The Judge Who Stole Christmas
  • Unwrapping Christmas
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Revelation of the Magi: The Lost Tale of the Wise Men's Journey to Bethlehem
  • The Case for Christmas: A Journalist Investigates the Identity of the Child in the Manger
  • Picking Dandelions: A Search for Eden Among Life's Weeds
  • Tremolo: Cry of the Loon
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • One Hit Wonder
  • The Dude Abides: The Gospel According to the Coen Brothers
  • Cybill Disobedience: How I Survived Beauty Pageants, Elvis, Sex, Bruce Willis, Lies, Marriage, Motherhood, Hollywood, and the Irrepressible Urge to Say What I Think
  • Huckleberry Finished (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery, #2)
  • Heidegger's Glasses
  • The Twelve Sacred Traditions of Magnificent Mothers-In-Law
  • Twas the Night
  • Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #1)