Start by marking “The Gate (Black Ops, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Gate (Black Ops, #2)

The Gate (Black Ops #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  16 reviews
What if the Japanese had developed an atomic bomb at the end of World War II? And one was still around? It was born five decades ago in war. It has been launched from the heart of foreign power. And it has been primed by betrayal and fanaticism. While America sleeps, while homegrown terrorists are unwittingly manipulated by an unknown master, a hyper-weapon approaches San ...more
Published October 8th 2010 by Who Dares Wins Publishing (first published September 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gate

Mallory Heart Reviews
Review of Black Ops: The Gate by Bob Mayer
5 stars

An exciting and thrill-packed adventure, Black Ops: The Gate convinced me that my avoidance of tech-thrillers is senseless and that I’m missing out. This was a non-stop read, immediately hooking and then maintaining my attention. Exploration of history interwoven with dangerous and thrilling present events (the present here being 1997), politics and bureaucracy, covert security, and an anti-hero protagonist named “just Lake,” together with just a
Doc
Not bad, though it didn't keep my attention to the extent that the 1st book in the series, The Line, did.
The Gate didn't seem to come into focus quite so well, though the climactic ending is reasonably exciting.
Overall, the writing is serviceable, with little bumps in the road where gets a subjunctive wrong or commits another small grammatical peccadillo.
This second volume also has a heavier smattering of f-bombing--which for me is not a point in its favor.
Aymee
Military thrillers like this usually aren’t my preferred genre, but the premise of this one intrigued me so I thought I’d give it a shot. I’m glad I did as it was an intense, action filled romp through San Francisco. I really enjoyed all the historical background the author gave as it really added to the understanding of the how and why of what was going on. It did get to be too much at times, even for a history nut like myself.

That said, the premise was plausible, even if the action was a bit
Cheryl M-M
Interesting concept, not so keen on the execution though.
Mayer tends to give a lot of factual information in his books. Sometimes to the detrement of the story. The dialogue seems awkward and lacking in emotion. Yes I know it is a thriller and isn't supposed to be emotive, but the it lacks the finesse of conversational flow.
Anyway back to the quite fascinating concept of nuclear bombs and the initial research and use of them. The story depicts a change of events that if true would certainly shap
Gary Paul
Nov 01, 2014 Gary Paul rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wsteger@dbsweb.com
Interesting review of the development of nuclear weapons!
John
awesome book, it is a good what could have been, well written I will definitely try more
Benton Mcpeak
I've felt this way before but this is really one of the best Bob Mayer books I've read. Lake was the typical man's man character but he wasn't infallible. I very much enjoyed the ending. Maybe I was a little bit slow but it was close to end before I figured out Harmon's link to the story. I'll keep reading Mayer's books but wonder what I will do when I finish all of them. Hope he keeps writing.
Timothy Haas
I was given a copy of this book to review. I found the book over all a well written thriller, I found the plot twists good. All of the different groups in 1940 are returned in present day. I never expected the many plot twists and felt for lake, the main player. If you enjoy spy/military books, then this is for you.
Bill Paton
The book is a decent conspiracy story. I do not regret reading it and was in to the story. There were a few editorial issues such as missing and misspelled words here and there. It was entertaining overall but I was a little disappointed with the ending.
Robert
This is one of the best Black Ops novels I have read; good story, good characters. This is what I expect from a writer such as Bob Mayer. A rather abrupt end, but it closed all the holes. Well done.
It had a few moments, but it was light on plot believability and heavy and military details (loving descriptions of hardware).

I did enjoy the intersection of numerous secret organizations.
Wanda
I love the Black Ops series. this one had me on the edge of my seat for a while.

Starts the "What if" thinking going, which you don't want to do just before bedtime.
Kay
Black Ops search for Japanese WWII bomb.
Jim
my opinion.....very good reading
BC or Brenda
Reading on my Kindle.
Barry
An exciting novel. Great read
James Laurence
James Laurence marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Deb Van iderstine
Deb Van iderstine marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Donn Lorber
Donn Lorber marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Roger
Roger marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
J.E. Taylor
J.E. Taylor marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Chuck Bogardus
Chuck Bogardus is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Tombstone
  • Invasion: Alaska (Invasion America, #1)
  • Gabriel's Revenge
  • Freedom Bridge: A Cold War Thriller
  • The Great Impersonation
  • Herald Square
  • Arctic Kill (Executioner)
  • An Enemy of the State (The LaNague Federation, #1)
  • The Enemy of an Enemy (Lost Tales of Power: Volume One)
  • Sons of Zadok (A Charlotte Ansari Thriller, #2)
  • Iron Gray Sea (Destroyermen, #7)
  • Back to War (Corps Justice, #1)
  • Fallen Palm
  • In Her Name: The Last War (In Her Name: The Last War, #1-3)
  • The Impossible Cube (Clockwork Empire, #2)
  • The Avenger (Bigler County, #2)
  • A for Argonaut
  • The Psalter
19006
Bob Mayer is a West Point graduate, former Green Beret and a New York Times Bestselling Author. He has sold over five million books. He is also the Co-Creator of Cool Gus Publishing.

Bob reads whatever his wife tells him to read-- she's a voracious reader and has wide-ranging tastes as my reviews show. He reads a lot of nonfiction, mostly for research. Lately he's been reading a lot about Kennedy
More about Bob Mayer...

Black Ops (4 books)
  • The Line (Black Ops, #1)
  • The Omega Missile (Black Ops, #3)
  • Omega Sanction (Black Ops, #4)
Lost Girls (The Cellar, #2) Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1) Bodyguard of Lies (The Cellar, #1) Area 51 (Area 51, #1) Eyes of the Hammer (The Green Berets, #1)