Start by marking “The Gate (Black Ops, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Gate (Black Ops, #2)

The Gate (Black Ops #2)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  185 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
What if the Japanese had developed an atomic bomb at the end of World War II? And one was still around? It was born five decades ago in war. It has been launched from the heart of foreign power. And it has been primed by betrayal and fanaticism. While America sleeps, while homegrown terrorists are unwittingly manipulated by an unknown master, a hyper-weapon approaches San ...more
Published October 8th 2010 by Who Dares Wins Publishing (first published September 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gate

Mallory Heart Reviews
Review of Black Ops: The Gate by Bob Mayer
5 stars

An exciting and thrill-packed adventure, Black Ops: The Gate convinced me that my avoidance of tech-thrillers is senseless and that I’m missing out. This was a non-stop read, immediately hooking and then maintaining my attention. Exploration of history interwoven with dangerous and thrilling present events (the present here being 1997), politics and bureaucracy, covert security, and an anti-hero protagonist named “just Lake,” together with just a
Doc
Dec 20, 2014 Doc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ae, ebook, kindle, series
Not bad, though it didn't keep my attention to the extent that the 1st book in the series, The Line, did.
The Gate didn't seem to come into focus quite so well, though the climactic ending is reasonably exciting.
Overall, the writing is serviceable, with little bumps in the road where gets a subjunctive wrong or commits another small grammatical peccadillo.
This second volume also has a heavier smattering of f-bombing--which for me is not a point in its favor.
Aymee
Military thrillers like this usually aren’t my preferred genre, but the premise of this one intrigued me so I thought I’d give it a shot. I’m glad I did as it was an intense, action filled romp through San Francisco. I really enjoyed all the historical background the author gave as it really added to the understanding of the how and why of what was going on. It did get to be too much at times, even for a history nut like myself.

That said, the premise was plausible, even if the action was a bit
Rob Perschau
Kind of hard to follow, what with all the Korean and Japanese names and organizations, but ultimately interesting enough to stick with to the end.
Cheryl M-M
Interesting concept, not so keen on the execution though.
Mayer tends to give a lot of factual information in his books. Sometimes to the detrement of the story. The dialogue seems awkward and lacking in emotion. Yes I know it is a thriller and isn't supposed to be emotive, but the it lacks the finesse of conversational flow.
Anyway back to the quite fascinating concept of nuclear bombs and the initial research and use of them. The story depicts a change of events that if true would certainly shap
Gary Paul
Nov 01, 2014 Gary Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wsteger@dbsweb.com
Interesting review of the development of nuclear weapons!
John
Jul 05, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
awesome book, it is a good what could have been, well written I will definitely try more
Benton Mcpeak
Oct 18, 2014 Benton Mcpeak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bob-mayer
I've felt this way before but this is really one of the best Bob Mayer books I've read. Lake was the typical man's man character but he wasn't infallible. I very much enjoyed the ending. Maybe I was a little bit slow but it was close to end before I figured out Harmon's link to the story. I'll keep reading Mayer's books but wonder what I will do when I finish all of them. Hope he keeps writing.
Timothy Haas
Feb 10, 2013 Timothy Haas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book to review. I found the book over all a well written thriller, I found the plot twists good. All of the different groups in 1940 are returned in present day. I never expected the many plot twists and felt for lake, the main player. If you enjoy spy/military books, then this is for you.
Bill Paton
The book is a decent conspiracy story. I do not regret reading it and was in to the story. There were a few editorial issues such as missing and misspelled words here and there. It was entertaining overall but I was a little disappointed with the ending.
Robert
This is one of the best Black Ops novels I have read; good story, good characters. This is what I expect from a writer such as Bob Mayer. A rather abrupt end, but it closed all the holes. Well done.
Jul 14, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It had a few moments, but it was light on plot believability and heavy and military details (loving descriptions of hardware).

I did enjoy the intersection of numerous secret organizations.
Wanda
Jun 26, 2012 Wanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Black Ops series. this one had me on the edge of my seat for a while.

Starts the "What if" thinking going, which you don't want to do just before bedtime.
Kay
Jun 20, 2013 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Black Ops search for Japanese WWII bomb.
Jim
Barry
Jul 23, 2013 Barry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exciting novel. Great read
Jack Noe
Jack Noe marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
hunter
hunter marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Susie
Susie marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Cath White
Cath White marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Chris Gail
Chris Gail marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
  • Blackhawk (Far Stars Legends #1)
  • Salvage Merc One
  • The Orc of Many Questions (The Tales of Many Orcs, #1)
  • De Oppresso Liber (On Silver Wings Book 6)
  • Collapse Depth (Danny Jabo, #1)
  • Freedom Bridge: A Cold War Thriller
  • Goblins Know Best: The Trivial Trials of Bogrot and Gorag
  • K.A.R.M.A
  • The Harry Harrison Megapack: 11 Classics of Science Fiction
  • Back to War (Corps Justice, #1)
  • Invasion: Alaska (Invasion America, #1)
  • In Her Name: The Last War (In Her Name: The Last War, #1-3)
  • The Impossible Cube (Clockwork Empire, #2)
  • The Kinshield Saga: The Complete Series
  • The Enemy of an Enemy (Lost Tales of Power: Volume One)
  • The Pyramid Builders (Lens of Time, #1)
  • A for Argonaut
  • The Henchmen's Book Club
19006
I'm a West Point graduate, former Green Beret and a New York Times Bestselling Author. I've sold over five million books. I'm also the Co-Creator of Cool Gus Publishing.

I read whatever my wife tells me to read-- she's a voracious reader and has wide-ranging tastes as my reviews show (she also always has the TV remote and she's always right about what to watch). I read a lot of nonfiction, mostly
More about Bob Mayer...

Black Ops (4 books)
  • The Line (Black Ops, #1)
  • The Omega Missile (Black Ops, #3)
  • Omega Sanction (Black Ops, #4)