Start by marking “The Midnight Road” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Road

The Midnight Road

From the moment he saw the girl in the snowstorm, Flynn had less than an hour to live. But he’ll remember his last fifty minutes long after he’s dead. As an investigator for Suffolk County Child Protective Services, Flynn has seen more than his share of misery, but nothing could prepare him for the nightmare inside the Shepards’ million-dollar Long Island home. In less tha ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 317 pages
Published June 26th 2007 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Midnight Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midnight Road

Bark's Book Nonsense
Mar 26, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
My husband has been reading through my tbr pile for me. He has a lunch hour and I don't but I'm not bitter. Since our reading tastes are pretty similar when it comes to mystery/horror (well, if you don't count The DaVinci Code which I despised and he seems to think is perfect) I trust him when he says a book is a dud. His reviews are usually minimal and to the point but he went on about this book for quite a while last night stunning me with his memory when I asked him to describe it for me. He ...more
Gatorman
Nov 27, 2013 Gatorman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A terrifically quirky thriller from Piccirilli about life, death, pain and the ability to let go of the past. The characters are engaging and full of life in the hands of a talented writer like Piccirilli. He knows just how to create these strange little worlds where people don't always act like they should but somehow find a way to overcome the odds. Throw in a talking dead dog and you have a real winner here. Highly recommended.
Steve Lowe
May 02, 2012 Steve Lowe rated it really liked it
William M.
Jun 28, 2011 William M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
The Midnight Road is the latest novel written by one of America's finest storytellers of dark fiction. As with Piccirilli's other work, the protagonist begins a journey of self discovery, weaving in and out of their own troubled past that somehow connects to a current threat. While the story itself wasn't as gripping as his other book, Headstone City, this one still has the trademarks that Piccirilli fans have come to know and love - flawed, haunted characters caught up in dangerous situations, ...more
Tim Niland
Jul 08, 2009 Tim Niland rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
Flynn leads a life of quiet desperation, trying to save children by day as part of the Long Island CPS and filling his nights with film noir revivals in the Village. When he is called to a Long Island home, he is appalled to find an autistic man caged in a basement and an armed woman at the end of her rope. Flynn flees with two children from the house only to crash into the freezing water of Long Island Sound during his escape. After being clinically dead for nearly a half-hour Flynn is miraculo ...more
CECILE D HUGHES
Jul 09, 2015 CECILE D HUGHES rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down.

I'd recommend this book to anyone wanting a powerfully good read. I read it straight through from start to finish, and I now have a new author to explore.

Lynn
Oct 19, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it
I love Tom Piccirilli's writing. This book was dark and unpredictable....with lots of film noir references....what could be better?
Lee
Jan 25, 2015 Lee rated it it was ok
This book started off at a really fast paced and I thought it was going to be a great ride. Half way through the story lagged and the end was incredibly disappointing.
LJ
THE MIDNIGHT ROAD (Suspense-New York-Cont) – VG
Piccirilli, Tom – Standalone
Bantam Books, 2007, US Paperback – ISBN: 9780553384086
First Sentence: Flynn remembered the night of his death more clearly than any other in his life.
*** Flynn is an investigator for the Suffolk (NY) County Child Protective Services. Responding to a tip, he drives through a snowstorm to the Shepard’s Long Island mansion where he finds a young, mentally disabled, man being kept in a cage. In spite of the mother threatening
J.D.
Jun 28, 2011 J.D. rated it it was ok
During an investigation of a child abuse complaint, Social Worker Flynn finds a scarred, mentally disabled man kept in a cage in the basement. In the ensuing attempt to get the man and the child away, Flynn wrecks his car, dies, and is brought back to life. Now, a dead bulldog is following him around talking to him and people are being killed in front of him for no reason he can see.

I really loved Tom Piccirilli's The Cold Spot, but I just couldn't get into this one. Maybe it's because I know t
Logan
Jul 08, 2009 Logan rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
This book wasn't exactly crap, but it wasn't exactly good. I wouldn't recommend it, but if I were you, and someone gave me a copy, I wouldn't punch them in the face. I wouldn't thank them either.

I felt like this author did really minimal research, resulting in the characters and plot coming off as fairly ridiculous. It seems to me that a well written book would allow someone such as myself, with lots of professional experience social services, to read his book and find it believable, not laughab
Larry H
Ok, Tom Piccirilli is a freakin' god as far as I'm concerned, and he deserves to be a much more well-known author than he is! I read a lot of so-called thrillers and often find myself none-too-thrilled with villains who seem to always be magically one step ahead of the action and plots that tie up way too conveniently at the end. Piccirilli creates amazing characters and situations--his main character in this book, Flynn, is addicted to old film noir--and the action is seriously nonstop. As I sa ...more
Kirby
Mar 14, 2008 Kirby rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Stephen King fans
Recommended to Kirby by: No one. I reviewed it.
The author has quite a good plot where a social worker being chased by a mother who wants her child back finds himself drowning in his car after it crashes. He dies and is revived only to find himself in another nightmare. The people around him are being killed off one by one and he is suspected of the murders.

This was a great plot and he is a good writer, but he added some strange things to the plot like the talking dead dog, and his dead parents giving advice in the oddest places. I could even
Clay
Aug 15, 2015 Clay rated it liked it
Another very solid noir by Piccirilli. I hardly knew anything at all about the plot and that shocking scene right at the beginning definitely surprised me. It set the mood for the next ~300 pages. The author again creates such a weird and dark atmosphere that seems very real, right to the point that it gets absolutely scary.

The plot is about a lonely traumatized social worker who one day discovers something horrible on an assignment. Iz gets weirder and darker from that point on right until the
Bettyb
Aug 31, 2010 Bettyb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
This is a new author for me and I am impressed by him. This is a rather dark story, well-written and one that, I suspect, will stay with me for awhile. Flynn is a man who is haunted by ghosts, figuratively and maybe even literally. That is the great thing about the writing, I was never quite sure if the ghosts were actually there or only in Flynn's head. The book never had a supernatural feel to it because the ghosts, whether there or not, were so seamlessly woven into the story. As to the "whod ...more
Lindy
Dec 10, 2015 Lindy rated it liked it
Quite the road trip... not sure I'd be up for another ride with this author but the first was definitely different and engaging. Kept me on the edge not quite knowing what was real, and what was just the product of the protagonist's damaged mind. Unexpected curves and poor weather conditions kept me checking that my seatbelt remained fastened throughout. Would recommend for those who like a bit so something different.
Kim Taras
Apr 20, 2010 Kim Taras rated it really liked it
This was the first book I read by this author and I loved it! The story had a lot of odd things including a ghost dog who died and came back to haunt the main character while still wearing a sweater and booties. It had a dark, although not disturbing feel. A lot of subtle humor which I enjoyed. There were a few slow spots where things were over analyzed, but besides that it went at a pretty good pace!
Fatma
Sep 27, 2009 Fatma rated it really liked it
I started reading this book thinking that it is a horror book but it wasn't. It is a mystery\suspense book with no ghosts or monsters. Surprisingly I really enjoyed it. I couldn't help but fall in love with the hero who is burdened by his past. The mystery was good and engaging and the end was great. I will try other books for the writer and hopefully will be as good as this one.
Robert
Aug 30, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it
Piccirilli's books are not for everyone. He has a very distinct style, which is great, but which can be a bit overbearing sometimes. I took a few years off reading his books and recently came back with this one, and it was a great read.
Ferris
Jul 04, 2015 Ferris rated it liked it
I did not enjoy this suspense novel. The notion of two brothers dying in the same car, with one of them surviving, was interesting. However, the plot was just not particularly well laid out. Oh well, can't win them all.
Jeff Paciolla
Jul 30, 2015 Jeff Paciolla rated it liked it
Just an average book that started out interesting but ended weakly
Tory Wagner
Sep 16, 2011 Tory Wagner rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Way too dark for me. No happy moments and no possibility that there would be, Midnight road refers to death. Sometimes it was hard to tell if the main character was hallucinating all the events.
Heather
Jun 05, 2016 Heather rated it liked it
Meh. It was alright. I read it a while ago and not much of the story lingers.
Debra
Dec 11, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it
A very well-written suspense novel with Flynn as a unique, and unlikely character. This was a quick read; a page-turner.
Scott
Jul 17, 2015 Scott rated it it was amazing
Another crime/noir/thriller classic from Mr. Piccirilli. Every sentence is perfect and the story is top notch. If you haven't read Tom Piccirilli that is a mistake you need to correct.
Delany
May 20, 2012 Delany rated it did not like it
Awful. Did not finish.
Brenda
Jul 31, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it
Maybe not quite as good as some of his other books, but still a good, well-written story.
Joe
Jun 21, 2011 Joe rated it it was ok
I was expecting more from this book and was disappointed with it. The plot was weak and I didn't really take to the lead character, kept my interest to discover how things ended up though.
Lynn
Oct 17, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it
Fairly good, but a bit over the top with melodramatic angst. Filled with starkly contrasting darkness, light and hard edges.
Greg Curtin
Apr 11, 2011 Greg Curtin rated it liked it
An interesting book that kept me guessing. I probably was reading into much to some of the characters, and got a bit lost in the story line at times, but it did keep my interest!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Killing Of The Tinkers (Jack Taylor, #2)
  • Apartment Seven
  • A Matter of Blood (The Dog-Faced Gods, #1)
  • Bloodstone
  • Shotgun Opera
  • The Shore (The Pines Trilogy, #2)
  • Le Dernier Lapon
  • Stay Go d
  • The Ones That Got Away
  • The Hour Before Dark
  • Another Life (Burke, #18)
  • 30 Days of Night: Official Novelization of The Film
  • Terminal
  • The St. Paul Conspiracy (McRyan Mystery Series, #1)
  • Remembering Sarah