Start by marking “The Mystery of Faith: An Introduction to Catholicism” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of Faith: An Introduction to Catholicism

The Mystery of Faith: An Introduction to Catholicism

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  8 reviews

In his familiar, conversational style, Father Himes invites the reader to consider ten basic truths of Catholicism. Beginning with discussions of Trinity, Grace, the Incarnation and Salvation, Himes moves into an exploration of Church as the continuting presence of Jesus Christ in the world today. After discussing what Baptism and the baptismal commitment really involves,
Published January 2nd 2004 by St. Anthony Messenger Press (first published January 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of Faith

Ben Valentine
Read this for theology class. A great book to explain what it means to be catholic and what it means to love another person. What did I learn? THE WAY TO LOVE GOD IS BY LOVING OTHERS. We hear this often but do we really understand it? So many other great things in here too and a quick read.
Missy Rose
Fantastic little book of overview of some of the major doctrines of the Catholic Church. While short, none of the material is "dumb-downed" - it's been distilled to its essentials.
Jill
Had to read this for school.
Tracy
This book has some of the best meditations on the Incarnation that I have ever read. Anywhere. Ever. While this is not a deep scholarly work, it is not shallow by any means. It will likely challenge you to examine what you think about faith in a significant and life-changing way. While the author is Catholic and the book says it is an introduction to Catholicism, it is not by any means just for Catholics. I think every Christian would find something worth further prayer and meditation in these p ...more
Cody Clark
As a catechist I use this material to introduce adults to the "adult" view of Catholicism. Once we refresh memories on what they covered, or should have covered, in youth CCE I start them on this journey. One cannot be a mature Catholic without having some exposure to this level of thought on the central mysteries of the Church. This book (along with the videos!) is my go-to introduction.
James
This fun little book covers some of the biggest topics in Catholicism in a very brief, but interesting way. The chapters are concise (cleaned up transcriptions of video-tape presentations), clear, and offer decent scriptural examples. It might not be the most thorough review, but I would recommend it as an introductory book.
Andy
Himes breaks down several important components of the Catholic faith, and even as a Catholic I learned things I never knew. He goes into the theology behind things like the sacraments, Tradition, the Trinity, Church, etc... It's a thin book making it a valuable but quick read.
Maggie
very well done. oh yes. recommended but only i the topic works for you or you earnestly want to know more.
Katie Knorr
Katie Knorr marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Cam Huth
Cam Huth marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Konrad
Konrad added it
Nov 30, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Kasey
Kasey added it
Oct 19, 2014
Lemelle Taylor
Lemelle Taylor marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Alberta Adji
Alberta Adji marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Sergio Banks
Sergio Banks marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Doing the Truth in Love: Conversations about God, Relationships, and Service Fullness of Faith: The Public Significance of Theology Lay Ministry in the Catholic Church: Visioning Church Ministry Through the Wisdom of the Past Ongoing Incarnation: Johann Adam Mohler and the Beginnings of Modern Ecclesiology Doing the Truth in Love: Conversations About God, Relationships, and Service: Conversations About God, Relationships and Service