Start by marking “The Deceased” as Want to Read:
The Deceased

The Deceased

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Ten years after his sister had massacred their brother and parents and then committed suicide, Jacob Maelstrom is drawn back to his childhood home and back into a nightmare in which the powers of evil eagerly await his return.

But there's more than awful memories waiting for Jacob at the Maelstrom mansion. There are depraved secrets, evil legacies, and family ghosts that ar
Published August 1st 2000 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about The Deceased, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deceased

mark monday
a real chore to get through; i wasn't up to the task. no matter how occasionally strong the writing may be, when repetitive dream sequences are continually favored over an actual narrative, i end up confused, bored and annoyed. i gave up at the halfway mark.
Traci
I'm dumbfounded. Truly. This is the same author that wrote Every Shallow Cut? Really? I'm pretty sure someone is pulling my leg. Can't be the same guy. This book is such a mish-mash of...well, I'm not really sure what it is. Except nothing I enjoyed, that's for sure.

Yes, I finished it. I have no earthly idea why I kept reading, unless I thought at some point that it would make sense. In a way, the book is very much like a nightmare: you're not entirely sure what's happening at any given moment,
Kelly
With an urge for some mind-blowing horror and a touch of insanity on the side, I opened this book with an unhealthy need for pure evil. So, with my soda on hand, I dimmed the lights and stoked the fire. When I finished, I not only had a bad case of paranoia, but also a newfound respect for Picirilli.

Twisting at each turn, The Deceased manages to intrigue and horrify. A plot so convoluted, you find yourself bound and screaming for more. The only problem being that it perplexes you almost to the
Rob Bliss
Didn't like this. One: word usage. Saying a character's sinuses were crucifying her. Really? That's the adjective you use? Seems Piccirilli jams horror words and torture words into every sentence, or as many as possible, to make the novel a horror. Yes, its a horror, we get it, but you don't have to use ALL horror words. Makes it seem as though he knows the story is weak so he has to buttress it with a certain lexicon.

Two: the story is intentionally confusing. Lots of fantasy happening in with t
Emelia
It was muddling. I didn't really get it. It just randomly went from place to place at different times, and it didn't explain anything.
Charles Dee Mitchell
I always think it is a bad idea to have a horror novel about some one who writes horror novels. Isn't that most often the plot to some Tales From The Crypt story --the writer is sweating blood at the typewriter as the incarnation of whatever evil creature he has imagined rises physically from the swamp and is knocking on his door.

Jacob Maelstrom is a young, somewhat successful horror writer who is the son of Isaac Maelstrom, a fantastically successful horror writer. In addition to being burdened
Nora Peevy
Tom Piccirilli's The Deceased is brilliantly written. Where other authors use gore simply for shock value, Piccirilli weaves a visceral tale of the gothic and supernatural. It's a whole new animal. Author Jacob Maelstrom returns to his childhood home where ten years ago his sister beheaded his entire family with an axe. Jacob hid in his closet for three days before anyone found him, but he doesn't consider himself a survivor. Haunted by the memories of that night and wondering what happened to h ...more
Alex
surreal. mysterious and dreamlike. Piccirilli evokes a suffocating world of sexual tension, indecipherable mythology, violence and madness in such a way that you can't stop reading until the very end.
Melanie Moreau
A little difficult to keep up with, but all in all a great read. The aurhor has a way of seemingly confusing and intriguing you at the same time.
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 Brett added it
Horror
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
JJ
JJ added it
Sep 11, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Sep 05, 2014
Christopher O'riley
Christopher O'riley marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Ursula
Ursula marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Ks
Ks marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Hellboy: Emerald Hell The Last Kind Words A Choir of Ill Children The Cold Spot Every Shallow Cut