Start by marking “The Face in the Abyss” as Want to Read:
The Face in the Abyss

The Face in the Abyss

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  149 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Ned Dameron [illustrator]. A. Merritt. SIGNED BY DAMERON/LIMITED. The Face In the Abyss. West Kingston: Donald M. Grant, [1991]. Limited to 375 numbered copies. Quarto. 286 pages. Publisher's binding, dust jacket, and slipcase.

The Face in the Abyss is a classic from a "golden age" of science fiction. A brilliant tale filled with weird imagination, marvelous writing, horro
Hardcover, Limited Edition
Published December 28th 1991 by West Kingston: Donald M. Grant (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about The Face in the Abyss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Face in the Abyss

Henry Avila
Sep 08, 2015 Henry Avila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three greedy men, desperate foreigners, in South America, have a map, that promises them, fabulous riches ( the usual lost Inca gold), but no money, to finance an expedition. Starrett, their leader, asks Nicholas Graydon , who has the dough, for aid, in Quito, Ecuador, and a big share of the uncountable, presumed, profits. A mining engineer, graduate, of some obscure school, called Harvard (never heard of it either). So Graydon, ten years after leaving the university, needs to make something of ...more
Sandy
Aug 19, 2011 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abraham Merritt's "The Face in the Abyss" first appeared as a short story in a 1923 issue of "Argosy" magazine. It would be another seven years before its sequel, "The Snake Mother," appeared in "Argosy," and yet another year before the book-length version combined these two tales, in 1931. It is easy to detect the book's provenance as two shorter stories, as the first third of the novel is pretty straightforward treasure-hunting fare, while the remainder of the book takes a sharp turn into lost ...more
Wreade1872
Completely over the top pulp adventure with dinosaurs and ray guns, force fields and genetic engineering, a Dark Lord and a Snake Goddess. This is great stuff, i'm not a big fan of pulps but this has a more descriptive style than most. Its sort of like half-way between Burroughs and H.P.Lovecraft.
In structure its a bit like the 'Chronicles of Riddick' in that it started out as a short story and years later the author expanded it into other crazyness. Unlike 'Pitch Black' however its the crazy o
Simon
Sep 03, 2013 Simon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
These days I don't let myself pick up random books by authors I have heard talked about. I make sure that I know which books to look for first. But this has been on my shelf for a while, back from the time when I wasn't quite so meticulous and did pick up random books. And getting to the end of this reminded me why I revised by book acquisition strategy!

A lost world adventure story that mingles elements of science fiction with fantasy as the protagonist Graydon discovers a hidden valley in the A
Michael
Aug 28, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first few chapters can be kind of a slog, but stick with it, it's worth it.
Shokarokagoogie
Jan 17, 2014 Shokarokagoogie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cross between Indiana Jones and The Lost World maybe? Track this down.
Brenda
Solid and classic

A solid sci-fi/adventure tale from a time when lost worlds, good and evil faced off, and the hero tested on many fronts was the sought after story to experience. I enjoyed this for the rich prose and learned a lot from the choices of words employed throughout it.
Katey
Nov 16, 2011 Katey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I'm spoiled by more contemporary Sci-fi, because I felt like this dragged on a bit. I think it would also be better to read when I was less sleep deprived, and could really focus on visualizing the things he was describing instead of having to re-read the same paragraphs over and over in order to make them sink in.
Keith Davis
Nov 26, 2009 Keith Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Merritt wrote fun "lost world" type adventures of sort that H. Rider Haggard once wrote. You can easily imagine Indiana Jones staring in almost any of Merritt's novels. Merritt's books are largely forgotten now; there is not much long term memory in the world of adventure fiction.
James Williams
early adventure books for me, I really enjoyed discovering A Merritt
George
Feb 23, 2008 George rated it really liked it
A. Merritt wrote classic fantasy novels
BakuDreamer
read this a long time ago
Zantaeus Glom
Nov 06, 2013 Zantaeus Glom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sublime!
Elessa
Elessa added it
Feb 04, 2016
Curt R
Curt R rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Stephen McGarry
Stephen McGarry rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2016
Emil
Emil rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2016
Andrew Parrish
Andrew Parrish marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Maxine
Maxine rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Kent
Kent rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Stuart
Stuart marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
  • Wolf of the Steppes: The Complete Cossack Adventures, Volume One
  • Black God's Kiss
  • The Hounds of Skaith (The Book of Skaith, #2)
  • E Pluribus Unicorn
  • A Rendezvous in Averoigne
  • The Shuttered Room And Other Tales Of Horror
  • The Cthulhu Cycle: Thirteen Tentacles of Terror
  • Vamps: Deadly Women of the Night
  • Conan: People of the Black Circle (The People Of the Black Circle; The Devil In Iron; A Witch Shall Be Born; Jewels of Gwahlur)
  • Walpurgisnacht
  • The Burning Court
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
Abraham Grace Merritt. Wrote under the name of A.Merritt, popular fantasy and horror writer of the teens, 20's and 30's. Family moved to Philadelphia, in 1894.He later studied law but switched to journalism. Becoming assistant editor and later editor of The American Weekly.The biggest magazine of the time.And had a fabulous salary of $100,000, during the Depression.Began writing short stories, in ...more
More about Abraham Merritt...