Start by marking “Plymouth Colony: Its History & People, 1620-1691” as Want to Read:
Plymouth Colony: Its History & People, 1620-1691

Plymouth Colony: Its History & People, 1620-1691

This is the first truly complete treatment of the history and genealogy of Plymouth Colony. It includes a concise history of the colony, both chronologically and topically, and more than 300 biographical sketches of its inhabitants. Richly documented and illustrated with maps and photographs, the three-dimensional Plymouth Colony: Its History & People, 1620-1691 was wr ...more
Published April 1st 1986 by Ancestry.com (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Plymouth Colony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plymouth Colony

Terri Naughton
Jan 09, 2016 Terri Naughton rated it really liked it
Can't really say I "loved" this book, as it's a fairly dry history of the early Plymouth colonists. But it's a solid asset to anyone doing genealogy research, as I am. My ancestors (Brewster, Hopkins, Prence among others) are featured in this history so that made it more interesting for me than it might otherwise have been!
Jane
Apr 03, 2015 Jane rated it it was amazing
In spite of having a lot of dry facts, I was fascinated to learn more about Plymouth Colony. Perhaps my interest might be more than most people's because one of my ancestors was one of the founders. I must admit that I did not read all of the biographical sketches near the end of the book but read only those that pertained to me. This book is a great resource, and I will probably refer to it in the future as I continue to investigate my own ancestry.
Carol
Apr 12, 2010 Carol rated it it was amazing
This is a great history book about the setting up of the colony and all the events between 1620 and 1691. In the back are detailed biographies of all the settlers. I went to the reconstruction site of the colony and found this in the gift shop. There are maps and illustrations as a bonus.
Kathy Dobronyi
Oct 26, 2015 Kathy Dobronyi rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
Brought history to life from a genealogist’s point of view. Stratton identified passengers on the Mayflower in Section 3—Biographical Sketches and wrote about their history in the Plymouth Colony. Very interesting.
Frank
Mar 21, 2009 Frank rated it really liked it
This is more a reference book for those seeking ancestors who were part of the first people in the Plymouth Colony. But it is much more. It is a history of what the people were really like. It provides accurate records of those who came and lived and died.
Laurie
Jan 17, 2011 Laurie rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Would that the history we were taught at school was as interesting and as thorough as this book. Well researched, well organized, well written. I learned a lot, and have been prompted to learn more.
Jim Bain
Jim Bain rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2016
Jody Pryor
Jody Pryor rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Tracy Tebo
Tracy Tebo rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2008
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Mary Lou
Mary Lou rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Paul Tompkins
Paul Tompkins rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2013
Dennis Hart
Dennis Hart rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2011
Terry Lebel
Terry Lebel rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Helen
Jul 16, 2014 Helen rated it it was amazing
Excellent for genealogical research.
Crystal Hammer
Crystal Hammer rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2012
Megan
Nov 06, 2007 Megan rated it it was ok
(May read partially then restart later)
July 26, 2010
Beth McClain
Beth McClain rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Dot
Dot rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Judy Rolph
Judy Rolph rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Steve Randle
Steve Randle rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2016
Craig H. Mather
Craig H. Mather rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2009
Kathleen Forsythe vincent
Kathleen Forsythe vincent rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Ellie
Ellie rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2010
Ted Theofrastous
Ted Theofrastous rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Pam
Pam rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2012
Aka Gene Stratton

Gene served in the United States Air Force and then attended George Washington University where he received his B.A. in Economics. He then went into Law school. Following college, he became a Case officer for the C.I.A. and later Director of two Federal Computer Centers. For eleven years, he lived abroad in England, Germany, Greece, and Mexico. Gene was elected to the position of
More about Eugene Aubrey Stratton...