Start by marking “Persepolis, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Persepolis, Volume 1

Persepolis, Volume 1 (Persepolis #1)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  44,275 Ratings  ·  270 Reviews
Persépolis es la historia autobiográfica de la iraní Marjane Satrapi, la historia de cómo creció en un régimen fundamentalista islámico que la acabaría llevando a abandonar su país.

El primer cómic empieza a partir del año 1979, cuando Marjane tiene diez años y, desde su perspectiva infantil, es testigo de un cambio social y político que pone fin a más de cincuenta años de
Published 2000 by L'Association

To ask other readers questions about Persepolis, Volume 1, please sign up.

Indra Vargas Good reads is only for keeping a record of the books you have read and the books you want to read. There are also recommendations of books, lists,…moreGood reads is only for keeping a record of the books you have read and the books you want to read. There are also recommendations of books, lists, quotes, trivias, quizzes and more things you can do on this website. Think of it as a social network for people that like to read.
Unfortunately you can't read or download books from this website. You can buy and download books on amazon but you have to pay for them. If you want them free, try to google the book in a PDF format, i've read many books this way. You can also use guttenberg.org and see if they have the book you want (it's completely free).
I hope this help. (less)

Michael Finocchiaro
I remember when this came out here in Paris and the fantastic wave of publicity it got. And deservedly so. It is a fantastic account of life during the Iranian Revolution and afterwards as Satrapi is a refugee. I happen to have a friend that is also named Marjan who told me that Satrapi's story was almost identical to hers in terms of her feelings of sadness and alienation and loss after leaving Iran and seeing it devolve into a perverted theocracy of terrorism. The entire series is excellent as ...more
Joe
Jun 19, 2015 Joe rated it really liked it
When I bought Persepolis at a yard sale a year ago; it came already signed:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(This is the only signed book I own. Also, note how vertical Marjane's signature is.)

The book looked brand new but sold for just $.25. Why bother to get a book signed and then sell it for so little without barely having used it? Surely there's a story here that I'll never know.

Anyway, at the same yard sale, I also bought this:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It's an old board game with a noir style where players work together to solve a crime. It's a c
Andrea Manzanilla
Reading Challenge 2016: Una autobiografía

3.25/5

Una forma entretenida de adentrarte en la vida de la autora.

Al ser una persona visual este autobiografía llamo mi atención desde hace algún tiempo. Ademas que me parece que esta forma ayuda a trasmitir mejor el mensaje que quiere trasmitir la autora.

En este primer volumen se nos introduce en la vida de la autora a la edad de los 10 años, lo que se nota en la forma tan ingenua de narrar los hechos y sus acciones. Nos explica los problemas de su paí
Ruel
Aug 25, 2014 Ruel rated it really liked it
A fascinating look at the Islamic Revolution in Iran during the late 70s/early 80s, as seen through the eyes of a young Marjane Satrapi. She's a precocious and inquisitive girl living in a tumultuous time. I loved the black-and-white drawings in this graphic novel; the artwork could be understated and haunting at the same time, from everyday situations at school to graphic images of torture and war. As the new ruling party fundamentalists begin forcing citizens to conform to a more rigid code of ...more
FeReSHte
Dec 11, 2014 FeReSHte rated it it was amazing
خیلی از خارجی ها ایران رو با این کتاب (یا فیلمش) کشف کردند ...

ساتراپی تو جلد اول از مجموعه 4 جلدی پرسپولیس در قالب تصویر و از زاویه دید یه دختر بچه (خود نویسنده) که کودکیش با شروع زمزمه های انقلاب متقارن شده و تو خانواده ای فعال سیاسی زندگی می کنه با طنز شیرینی به روایت ایران معاصر پرداخته

کتاب فوق العاده شیرینیه و خوندنش به همه توصیه میشه

David Schaafsma
Read this time for my Graphic Novels class with memoir work by her and Alison Bechdel and Corinne Mucha. This is deceptively good, in that it is a graphic memoir from the perspective of a woman looking back at her life as a young girl during the Iranian Revolution, in 1979. Why deceptive? Because it's in the form of a slightly cartoony comic book that one could mistake for trivial, at a glance. It's not in the least bit trivial. It's interesting to read this during the time of the continuing 201 ...more
Julie
Jun 06, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
I haven't seen the award-winning animated film by the same name, and my knowledge of Iranian history is somewhat spotty, but I knew that this would not be a light-hearted narrative, and I was right. It's a graphic novel account of Satrapi's childhood in Iran during the Islamic revolution and war with Iraq. She comes of age, wishing to express herself through her clothing choices, music, and words, at the same time that restrictions become the most intense. Set in a backdrop of arrests, execution ...more
Anto Tilio
Jan 25, 2017 Anto Tilio rated it really liked it
Imposible no engancharse con la historia de Marji.
La bronca que genera todo contado desde la perspectiva de una nena y la doble moral que reina también.
Ditta
Nov 02, 2009 Ditta rated it really liked it
done,,,ja..ja..ja..j'ai fini d'ecrire le premier tome.hm,,un peu bizzare mais je l'aime,,,Marji a 10ans, elle viend d'une famille moderne et libre dans ce jour la...même si elle est petite, mais elle pense beaucoup à la condition qui l'entoure...ce que j'aime beaucoup c'est quand son prof lui a demande : qu'est-ce que tu veux faire plustard? et elle a repondu: je serais etre prophete....hahaha..
c'est riddicule,,,can't hardly wait to read the tome 2
Ahmad Sharabiani
Persepolis, Volume 1, Marjane Satrapi
Kate
Mar 17, 2014 Kate rated it liked it
Recommends it for: budding revolutionaries
Recommended to Kate by: Rivera
Shelves: graphic, teen-fic, ischool

Annotation: In Persepolis, Marjane Satrapi writes about and illustrates her childhood in 1970s and 80s Iran, between the ages of six and fourteen. Her illustrations are heavy line drawings done in the style of comic strips, and their content details her daily life and family history against a dramatic backdrop of the Shah’s regime, the Islamic Revolution, and the war with Iraq. Marjane herself--ever fiery, sharp, outspoken and determined--serves as the protagonist, while supporting characters he
Elizabetha
Llegué a la historia (hermosa y tremenda) de Marjane Satrapi, porque mi tesis de pregrado fue sobre el shiismo y la Revolución Iraní. La realicé centrándome, principalmente, en el problema de los iranies no ocidentalizados y como ven amenazada su cultura,dejando para un estudio más pormenorizado la visión de los iranies pro-occidentales.
Marjane, al igual que la cantante Azam Aly, pertenecen al sector de clase media/alta que en ese momento accedían a la cultura occidental y ponían en practicas nu
Eliana Rivero
Jun 23, 2016 Eliana Rivero rated it really liked it
Reading Challenge 2016
22. Una novela gráfica

Es el primer cómic que leo. como hay pobreza lo leí en pdf desde la computadora. Me gustó, no solo la historia, sino también la ilustración. Es increíble y triste lo que hay detrás de tantas revoluciones y cambios de políticas. Ya voy a por el segundo volumen.
Ebba
Wonderful! An excellent portration of the revolution in Iran. It's not a revolution that I know a ton about so it was great to see it from this perspective. This volume was sad but also heart warming at times and Satrapi has a fantastic way of telling her story through comic book form. Personal yet full of important information and very unique. Higly recommend!
Natalia
Mar 22, 2016 Natalia rated it it was amazing
Never thought a graphic novel would make me cry but it did.
Somayeh
Dec 15, 2014 Somayeh rated it it was amazing
یه کمیک استریپ دلچسب و خوندنی. وقتی شروعش میکنی دیگه کنار گذاشتنش سخت میشه
Kelsey Montzka
Apr 18, 2015 Kelsey Montzka rated it it was amazing
Invokes the universal of human experience without erasing the unique historical and cultural context of her life.
Esther
Jan 02, 2014 Esther rated it really liked it
Tout en noir et blanc, avec des dessins assez simples (et néanmoins très entraînant), Persepolis raconte l’histoire apparemment autobiographique d’une jeune fille qui grandit en Iran dans les années juste avant et juste après la révolution islamique).

Le volume 1 commence en 1980 : Marjan a 10 ans. Nous voyons comment la révolution vient de changer la vie quotidienne, mais surtout comment une petite fille avec une éducation assez libre réagit à toutes ces nouvelles informations et influences. C’
Jenny
Dec 09, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it
I found interesst in this book through the book trailer in class.
One thig that impressed me was how the author decided to put a story into a comic book- like theme. This book showed me how even life at it's toughest times come to an end, there is always a bright side to the end of the road. It also shows me that your parents want to do what's best for you, even though you might not agree. "I want to come with you tomorrow" She is a determined girl who fights for what she believes in. Her words s
Grace
Nov 25, 2016 Grace rated it really liked it
I've been meaning to read this book since I bought it at a bookstore in Nice when I was a 15-year-old exchange student. I have a French copy and had started reading it multiple times only to give up quickly. This time I picked it up, determined to get through it, and found it actually both easy to read in terms of a language difficulties as well as content-wise.

I've never been a huge fan of graphic novels, but on the other hand there have always been a few I really liked. I'm discovering that t
Carmen Claramunt
Nov 20, 2014 Carmen Claramunt rated it it was amazing
This book really opened my eyes up to a new perspective. I think that this should be taught in schools, because it is educational and eye-opening. It’s a wonderful graphic novel with simple, yet detailed and bold drawings. It fully encapsulates the struggle that Iranian women faced, during the Islamic Revolution, and what it was like to grow up one way and suddenly have your life changed drastically, in a powerful way. I think if this had been in written form, rather than as a graphic novel, it ...more
DOCR
Jan 03, 2016 DOCR rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Allegra Green
I love graphic novels and learning about history and I feel like this book taught me a lot about what it was like to live through the Islamic Revolution.

I was frustrated at times because I felt like I didn't get the full story on a lot of the issues, and that they left things unresolved. Though, I suppose that's the way that things occur in real life!

The drawing wasn't particularly my style.
Katherine Freedman
Nov 17, 2014 Katherine Freedman rated it it was amazing
This was a terrific book. It's a graphic novel/memoir about a girl growing up during the 1979 Iranian Revolution. The author uses humor to make some really difficult topics (war, revolution, violence, etc.) easier to digest. Anyone who likes graphic novels will probably love this book. (I'm generally not a huge graphic novel fan, and I loved it!)
Molly
Apr 23, 2016 Molly rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated, incredibly human story of a girl growing up in Iran during the tumultuous years surrounding 1980. The history and details are fascinating, especially when told through such a personal lens. I read it in two sittings. Now time to read the rest!
Grace
Apr 30, 2016 Grace rated it liked it
3.5
A really interesting view on the Islamic Revolution. The illustrations were really good! I think I would have liked it better if I used to graphic novels, but this being my first one meant that I had to adjust to the comic like dialogue.
Lisa
Jun 03, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Brutal,yet with an often humerous tone to her storytelling. Simple illustrations but nothing more is needed to tell her story. I didn't know much about the story before reading this so it gave a human face to the suffering that is a part of history.
Gizzard
Jun 03, 2015 Gizzard rated it really liked it
Incredibly sad and disturbing, but a great look at history by someone who lived it. The takeover of Iran and the oppression of the women should be a warning to all free women, american and european, that oppression isn't that far away.
Victor Casas
Jan 16, 2016 Victor Casas rated it really liked it
Es un poco dura intentar empatizar con este tipo de historias...
No es una historia que me llegara al momento de leerla pero mientras mas pensaba en lo que se vivía en esos días mas duro se me hacía. Odio cuando la inocencia es perdida antes de tiempo :(
Muy, muy duro.
Play Book Tag: Persépolis #1 - Marjane Satrapi - 4* 3 11 May 22, 2016 02:25PM
  • Paul dans le métro
  • La Bar Mitsva
  • Chroniques de Jérusalem
  • Quai d'Orsay. Chroniques diplomatiques, tome 1
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 4 (Aya, #4)
  • L'Ascension du haut mal, tome 1
  • Quartier lointain
  • Un Gaffeur Sachant Gaffer (Gaston Classique, #7)
  • Sin City: Una Dura Despedida, #1 de 3
  • Les Quantités négligeables (Le combat ordinaire, #2)
  • Bloodlines: Odyssey of a Native Daughter
  • The Dormant Beast (Le Sommeil du monstre #1)
  • Palestine
  • Blue Pills:  A Positive Love Story
  • Bourbon Island 1730
Marjane Satrapi (Persian: مرجان ساتراپی) is an Iranian-born French contemporary graphic novellist, illustrator, animated film director, and children's book author. Apart from her native tongue Persian, she speaks English, Swedish, German, French and Italian.

Satrapi grew up in Tehran in a family which was involved with communist and socialist movements in Iran prior to the Iranian Revolution. She a
More about Marjane Satrapi...

Persepolis (4 books)