Start by marking “River of Ruin” as Want to Read:
River of Ruin

River of Ruin (Philip Mercer #5)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  1,136 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
In the heart of Panama, a volcanic lake feeds a serpentine river - its stone banks laid by the Incas, who took back the gold and jewels plundered from them by the conquistadors. Legend has it that the Twice-Stolen Treasure has been buried for centuries in the Panamanian jungle. Discovering it means surviving the black waters of the River of Ruin...

It begins at a Paris auct
Published December 3rd 2002 by Penguin Group US (first published November 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about River of Ruin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about River of Ruin

Joe Ganzi
Mar 12, 2013 Joe Ganzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FANTASTIC!!! The first few books in the Philip Mercer series were excellent but this one proves du Brul has taken his place among the best techno-thriller authors out there. WELL worth the read, kept me turning pages way past my bedtime!
Yona
Jul 11, 2011 Yona rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
Well i liked it, but i expected a little more from this book. There was a lot of fight with the Chinese( they were very annoying most of the time).
But of course in the end the good guys won.

I don't know what will happen with Mercer and Loren, but not always in a book there are answers to all the questions.

Miguel has a new home and a loving family who will take care for him.
So it was a good book, but not one of the greatest.
Adam
Another really great adventure. I like that Harry was in the action again (right beside Mercer this time). Harry and Mercer's bond grows deeper while we get a lot more background on Mercer and his tragic experience as a boy. Very well done. This isn't just a fast paced and thrilling adventure story, it's a character driven mouthful of ear candy (does that make sense?). Anyway, I love this series. Du Brul has outdone himself once again.
Micheal
Mar 02, 2013 Micheal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very fun, endearing characters, twists that will make you wish you weren't just reading it for 30 minutes on your lunch break. Definitely worth a read.
Ruth Clem
I enjoyed very much. Need a trip thru the Panama Canal
Marian
Eh.
Karine
May 20, 2012 Karine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This book was okay, I enjoyed the action, however, as most action books the good guys always seem to do better then the expert military groups, where after the third impossible victory you are left with the feeling of.. “Right…. everybody is superman saving the day.” All in all, if you like action this book is still worth the read.

As much as the author did a great job weaving the characters individual stories within the plot, and the constant action throughout the book, I was slightly disappoint
Brendan le Grange
I first encountered Jack du Brul’s work in one of the novels he co-wrote with Clive Cussler, but it is in his stand-alone novels that he really excels. Mercer is a perfect lead character and in Harry White he has a perfect foil. The first few books in the series are great, though with a heavy reliance on cold war themes they feel a bit dated now so it is really from Medusa Stone onwards it really hits its stride; with River of Ruin one of my top two.
The story leverages the unique make-up of each
Lyle
Jul 08, 2009 Lyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another entry in this author's Jack Du Brul PHILIP MERCER series. Fast paced and very entertaining, as were the others. Beyond all the explosions (blowing up the Panama Canal was interesting), there's the oddly sweet relationship between the protagonist and Harry, his 80 something friend. Already have a request on another book in the series. Not the next book....I started reading these out of order.
Melissa Banczak
Aug 09, 2013 Melissa Banczak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story kept my attention and I really liked the characters. I did have some trouble keeping track of things in the last 50 pages. It got too technical with descriptions of the Panama Canal's lock system and half the time, I couldn't picture what was going on. I didn't realize this was a series or I would have started with book one. I do plan on finding book one and giving it a try.
Kellylynn
Feb 11, 2016 Kellylynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phillip Mercer is a geologist that seems to get into some strange situations. This one leads him to finding a rare journal in France which sends him to the Panama Canal to investigate a treasure. He ends up trying to stop a Chinese plot to control more of the world.

Character development is pretty good as is the dialog.
Kristin Lundgren
Sep 01, 2011 Kristin Lundgren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Good thriller, but tons of detail which slowed me down - I know know everything about the Panama Canal, including some on the building of it, the treaty, the number of locks, how high they are, the double doors, the intake valves, etc. But it had some great supporting characters, and so I enjoyed it, even if it took me four nights to finish.
Melinda
Feb 21, 2014 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Philip Mercer is the new Dirk Pitt. A mining engineer with an action-packed past, a brain and good-looking(in that ruggedly handsome way). These books are a great easy read. Obviously written to a formula, but with some great research behind them abd some fantastic characters...its a good way to spend an afternoon.
Nigel
Feb 02, 2013 Nigel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was agood read and I enjoyed it more than Pandora's Curse. A very plausible story about the Chinese trying to take control of the Panama Canal and trying to find lost treasure of the Incas to fund it. Nice to see Mercer's character developing and also seeing more of Harry involved in this one.
Brett Sorge
This book started off good and really felt like a typical Clive Cussler book. I think maybe it was bout 100 pages too long and my interest started to wander at the end. The writer has talent, but he needs to find his own winning formulae.
Mason
Oct 01, 2008 Mason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mason by: mweatherly1@triad.rr.com
Shelves: adventure
Another excellent Phillip Mercer adventure book from Jack DuBrul. If you like good adventure stories, I recommend reading all of Jack's books.
Shaft
Jul 03, 2012 Shaft rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting to lose its shine now. I like the series but it isn't making the effort of say the first two books. Seems to be a bit same-y.
Chris
Sep 21, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Mercer faces another thrilling adventure with Chinese assassins after him to find a rare diary and a stolen treasure & surviving the black waters of the River of Ruin. Another great read.
Norma Saldana
Feb 11, 2012 Norma Saldana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of adventure as part of the story involves a team trying to head-off an explosion and blocking of the canal. Good insight as we head of to the PC on Tuesday.
Sarah Larson
Feb 04, 2016 Sarah Larson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot was a bit far-fetched, but I liked the introduction of the character of Lauren, and I felt like Mercer's character was better developed.
william j batschelet jr
william j batschelet jr rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Tali
Tali rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2014
Dawninmontana
Dawninmontana rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2013
Michael Frye
Michael Frye rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Jason Freeze
Jason Freeze rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
J.L. Day
J.L. Day rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2015
RMP Production
RMP Production rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2009
Allen Sharar
Allen Sharar rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Gabbie Petrova
Gabbie Petrova rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
  • Primeval (Event Group Thriller #5)
  • The Eden Prophecy (Hawker & Laidlaw, #3)
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
  • Plague Ship (The Oregon Files, #5)
  • Threshold (Chess Team Adventure, #3)
  • Echo of the Reich (Chris Bronson, #5)
  • Dourado (Dane Maddock #1)
  • The Geneva Deception (Tom Kirk, #4)
Jack DuBrul is a New York Times Best-Selling Author from Vermont who writes techno thrillers. Recently, he has been co-authoring "The Oregon Files" novels with Clive Cussler, taking over from Craig Dirgo with the third novel.
More about Jack Du Brul...

Philip Mercer (8 books)
  • Vulcan's Forge (Philip Mercer, #1)
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • The Medusa Stone (Philip Mercer, #3)
  • Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4)
  • Deep Fire Rising (Philip Mercer, #6)
  • Havoc (Philip Mercer, #7)
  • The Lightning Stones (Philip Mercer, #8)