Start by marking “Murder by Design (Kennedy Killingsworth, #2)” as Want to Read:
Murder by Design (Kennedy Killingsworth, #2)

Murder by Design (Kennedy Killingsworth #2)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  890 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
Published October 1st 2010

To ask other readers questions about Murder by Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder by Design

Pillar of Light by Gerald N. LundLike a Fire Burning by Gerald N. LundA Season of Joy by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
LDS Fiction
116th out of 139 books — 87 voters
Fablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleGrip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon MullRise of the Evening Star by Brandon MullSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull
Best of LDS Fiction
214th out of 272 books — 252 voters

More lists with this book...

Cindi
Apr 06, 2015 Cindi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kennedy is entertaining! I liked following her through her investigation of a murdered "artist."
Feb 10, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I love BBG but this is not one of her best. I think I would give this book 3.5 stars. What redeemed it for me was the love story. Love Luke and Kennedy together! :) Satisfying ending...... for now. No matter what, I love her stories. Normally a good quick read. Didn't disappoint on that front.
Dlora
Nov 07, 2010 Dlora rated it really liked it
Another fun murder mystery sleuthed out by small-town librarian Kennedy Killingsworth, but this time the sheriff has actually asked for her insights. Recluse Jarrard Dupree gifts the library his entire collection of art painted on boards stolen from a neighbor's barn (which theft Kennedy has been manipulated into tracking down by her mother's neighbor). His generosity (which was not in question) and the value of his paintings (which was) sky-rockets when he is found dead drunk and run over in fr ...more
Kathryn
Nov 12, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Brenda
Feb 28, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone 12 and older
Recommended to Brenda by: no one
I found this book at Seagull books for $5.99 and thought it was worth a try. And boy was I right. This is a very fast read. I was reading it during my lunch breaks but I kept wanting to know what was happening next or I got to a good part and had to stop. So I started reading at home to finish it off.

She ended things a bit too fast for me, but a good book. I would recommend this for anyone who is 12 or older. A 10 year old might not get everything. There are no sex scenes [although the main char
Anna Dye
Feb 11, 2011 Anna Dye rated it really liked it
This is an intriguing tale of a small town in Midway, Georgia. It is beautifully written by a great author. The main character is a young divorced woman by the name of Kennedy. She is a university student that works as the head librarian and also part time in a storage unit, where she lives. Her mother is the sweetest woman and many times too helpful when she takes Kennedy’s time for granted.
Because of her divorce from the sheriff in town, Kennedy is looked upon with contempt by many women in h
Inspired Kathy
Dec 21, 2012 Inspired Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I read this series out of order. Covenant sent me a copy of Murder by the Way for review. I really enjoyed it but when I started it I didn't realize it was book 3 in a series. Once done I went back and started over with the first book to catch up on what I missed.

I enjoyed not knowing who was the good guy and who was the bad guy throughout these books. There were enough twist and turns to keep me guessing even having read the third book first. I was still interested in the story line from the f
Kaye
Jan 01, 2012 Kaye rated it liked it
I inadvertently started with the second in the series and it was just okay. Kennedy is a recently divorced, a student and head librarian in a small town in Georgia. Part of the charm is the southern hospitality but it got a bit thin. Doing things because someone claimed they were a friend of a dead grandmother was a stretch. This main mystery centered on a man who donates some paintings to the library who ends up dead. I didn't like that Kennedy really was just around as the mystery unfolds and ...more
Susan
Nov 29, 2010 Susan rated it it was ok
Sequel, and by now you know my thoughts on sequels. As to this story. Well written but I just don't buy into the Southern "thou shalt not" offend and so don't really buy into this story. The heroine from the first book becomes involved in another murder case when she agrees to help someone she doesn't like but is not allowed to be rude to because her mother would be ashamed of her. OK? Whatever happened to "I'm sorry but I can't."

OK, so now I'm deciding I was too harsh. I need to remember that t
Susan
Sep 05, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-novels
I didn't enjoy this second installment of the Kennedy Killingsworth novels as much as I did the first book, although it was a good mystery and had some nice twists in it.

However, I guess I'm not into the Southern hospitality thing where you have to do absurd things for people just because they are your neighbor or just because they knew your grandmother, or just because it's tradition or your mother would be mad if you said you didn't want to do it.

I also found a lot of typos, which bothered me.
Heather Nance
Jul 19, 2015 Heather Nance rated it it was amazing
I loved the romance of this book. I was a little disappointed with the mystery involved but the plot still pulled me in and wouldn't let me go. I recommend it to anyone and can't wait to read the third book.
Adrienne
May 25, 2016 Adrienne rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery

Kennedy Killingsworth becomes involved in her second murder investigation in two months when Jarradd Dupree winds up dead, shortly after having donated some paintings to the local library for an auction. Shortly after his death, his paintings, which despite being rather terrible paintings, are in high demand, with buyers offering outrageous prices for them. As Kennedy tries to figure out who killed him, she's also worried about Sloan, an acquaintance who turns out be an FBI agent being framed by
Racquel
Apr 21, 2011 Racquel rated it really liked it
Amy
Jun 18, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok
Fast read, mildly interesting story with lots of eye rolling from me.
Rachel Silvey
Feb 09, 2014 Rachel Silvey rated it really liked it
I liked it but didn't realize it was part of a series until after I read it
Jane
Mar 06, 2011 Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: whitneys-2010
I really like the author's writing style and her characters- they feel very real to me and the author has a fun voice. The love interest is believable. And the best part of this whole book was when one of the (male) characters took their shirt off. It was quite a moment!

I was frustrated that it took 5 chapters for the dead body to show up, and that the heroine did little to solve the actual crime- it just solved itself around her. She played a much more active role in the first book of this seri
Michelle
Nov 02, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-book, series
The the suspense she puts in her books.
Hollie Robb
Jan 03, 2011 Hollie Robb rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, mysteries
I felt like it was a chore reading this book. I found it boring, and now I hate Kennedy as a character, she is such a stupid character. Her first book "Murder by the Book" was cute and interesting, but this one is just a chore to read. Kennedy didn't learn from the first book. Luke is still head-over-heals with Kennedy. Cade is still a scumbag. It was just disappointing, the whole book was.

One thing I have notice that when Green writes her books she has so many things going on that diverts you
Sandy
Apr 06, 2011 Sandy rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-authors
After cracking Foster Scoggins's murder case, Kennedy Killingsworth figured life in Midway, Georgia, would settle back to normal (meaning desperately dull). But that thought goes right out the window when a black-clad man climbs in her window the one in her bedroom, that is. As she's startled awake by a hand clamped across her mouth, Kennedy's heart pounds even faster when she realizes the hand belongs to Sloan, the gorgeous and somewhat terrifying construction worker who reveals a surprising al ...more
Jenna
Oct 05, 2011 Jenna rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-author, mystery
Betsy Brannon Green is one of my most favorite authors and I always look forward to reading her books. The characters are well written and the descriptions make it very easy to picture the action of the story in the movie if my mind. This particular book, however, was a bit too busy for me. Even though everything tied together eventually, there were so many characters and plot lines that I sometimes found it confusing to follow. Still an entertaining mystery, just not my favorite.
Shayne
May 09, 2011 Shayne rated it really liked it
I find Betsy Brannon Green's work totally fun and her characters, ones that have been developed over several years and books, are just delightful. Most of the others can be read out of order and you can still get the ideas of the stories except you should really read the first one she wrote, first. Same with this series. You really need to read the prequel to this so this one makes more sense. But I enjoyed it and would recommend it.
Rebecca
Oct 15, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it
It's a mystery of the lighter variety so of course, I liked it. I have no real complaints about the writing. If you liked Murder by the Book this is the sequel and you will like it too.

It's set in the South which adds to the fun of the book.

It is LDS fiction and while the church is mentioned it doesn't interfere with the story.

For those looking for a squeaky clean read, this is a good candidate.
Patricia
Jul 11, 2012 Patricia rated it liked it
I thought this second book in the series was better from the first because Kennedy seemed a little clearer about her romantic intentions and not just drifting about constantly like in the first book, and I felt the law enforcement dis-information campaign was more realistic although all the information sharing was still troulbesome. I basically liked it. P.S. I listened to this one, too.
Kristen
Oct 06, 2012 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, 2012
This is a typical cozy mystery that I enjoyed. What makes it atypical is that it is also Mormon fiction that incorporates The Church without smackng the reader over the head with Mormon doctrine. They are just a normal part of the story, much like they are in regular life.

Also, different from many other books written lately, the love triangle is over and it is only book two.
Kayel
Feb 28, 2016 Kayel rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, mystery
i don't usually add my audio books, and I've read others by this same author. these books are always simple and fluffy and easy enough, but this was too too lame!! only 6 discs long, but this was a robbery story til 1/2 thru disc 4. Boring! ps, did i already say LAME?
Kim Howe Golding
Apr 06, 2011 Kim Howe Golding rated it really liked it
I loved the first book in this series but had a difficult time getting into this one. It didn't really hold my attention and wasn't one of those books I couldn't put down--it's taken me 6 months to read it because I wan't just dying to find out what was going to happen. When i finished I thought, "Oh that was cute," even if it wasn't the best book ever.
Sheila
Feb 20, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it
I liked this 2nd installment about Kennedy Killingsworth. There were many surprises,
but this book wasn't as intense as the 1st one. I still really love having Luke around and
Cade still is irritating. I liked how there were two mysteries to be solved and one
wasn't figured out until the end. I always enjoy reading Betsy Brannon Green's novels.
Christina
Fun, quick read. Kennedy doesn't really do anything. She just happens to be in the right (or wrong) place at the right time. But, the story is a light, clean, escape. There was something very touching about one aspect of the mystery. I don't know that I would really classify this as LDS fiction. The church is barely a part of the story.
TK
Oct 26, 2010 TK rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because it toyed with me. :) I kept thinking the lovable, but downtrodden characters were waltzing to a dull plot. Then BBG would yank the story around, and leave me white-knuckling the binding: very fun. This book could have used a little more editing, but overall, an excellent read.
Kelli
Jun 26, 2011 Kelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
Just as good as Murder By The Book except the criminals seem a little bit more far fetched. I love how things develop between Kennedy and Luke and how comfortable their relationship is. And I really like that Besty Green brings some of her Haggerty characters into these books without overdoing it.
  • Crossfire (Saint Squad, #3)
  • Vanished (Maggie McKenzie Mystery, #1)
  • Fool Me Twice
  • Tribunal (Traitor, 2)
  • Shudder
  • Dead Wrong
"WELCOME!!!!!

If you're not familiar with my books, I write mystery-suspense novels. I am LDS (Mormon) and so are some of my characters, but I have loyal readers from many different faiths. My goal is to engage the reader in my books. I want to make them laugh and cry and worry and dread the end.

Most of my books are set in the fictional town of Haggerty, Georgia - which is loosely based on my grand
More about Betsy Brannon Green...

Kennedy Killingsworth (3 books)
  • Murder by the Book (Kennedy Killingsworth, #1)
  • Murder By The Way (Kennedy Killingsworth, #3)