Start by marking “ন হন্যতে” as Want to Read:
ন হন্যতে

ন হন্যতে

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,195 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
'In two novels written forty years apart, a man and a woman tell stories of their love...Taken together they provide an unusually touching story of young love unable to prevail against an opposition whose strength was tragically buttressed by the uncertainties of a cultural divide.'
Published by প্রাইমা পাবলিকেশনস্ (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about ন হন্যতে, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ন হন্যতে

Nishat
Jul 19, 2015 Nishat rated it it was amazing
They meet, fall in love and then they separate.
He, the Romanian guy living far away writes a book about her, about the love so unaccepted & compromised. She reads it finally and writes another book for him with an enchanting reply. Only the love remaining between them wins in the end, and shines bright even after such lonesome, long, silent years.

I read it first when I was 10-11. I was always curious as a child, but definitely the book wasn't suited for me, since it dealt with intense, inti
Julien M.
Nov 29, 2011 Julien M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still have the same emotions that Mircea Eliade's book (Maitreyi) have brought up in me, but in a much smaller amount because Maitreyi's book brings a lot of understanding of her, the situation in general and a much appreciated understanding of Eliade and his actions, during and after 1930.

These two books should be read one after the other. You will be given the chance to experience their encounter from both perspectives, something that is rare, even in literature. Reading this book first will
Anca
Feb 19, 2008 Anca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have read "Maitreyi"
Shelves: 9
The book was definitely not as well written as "Maitreyi" but, according to Maitreyi herself, it was much closer to the real story.

Maitreyi Devi pleads that the character Maitryi in Eliade's book is not much alike her, and narrates the facts how they truly were and their meeting after 40 years.

I got thoroughly into this one too, I had my favourite character [her mom:] and discussed a lot about it.

One idea I liked from the book, but not very relevant for the content: Only a woman [wife:] has the
Anda T.
"Începe să-mi povestească, şovăind, romanul. Eu ţin minte numele familiare. Ele bat în inima mea şi, una câte una, încuietorile se desfac, dezvăluind treptat încăperea închisă atât amar de ani. Înlăuntrul încăperii e beznă, dar acum ştiu tot ce se află acolo. Sunt ispitită să intru, dar ezit cuprinsă de temeri."

"Omul nu este niciodată mulţumit cu ceea ce a primit în dar. El însuşi este un creator, misiunea sa fiind aceea de a-şi transforma necazul în fericire."

"Pentru a iubi pe cineva, ori pentr
Andreea Tanase
Apr 22, 2008 Andreea Tanase rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Amitreyi's touching answer to a book written about her by a Romanian student who lived in her father's house, in India, during her teenage years and who, in his book - Bengali Nights - claimed to have had an intense and intimate relationship with her during that time. Maitreyi finds out about the book and her alleged relationship with the Romanian student after many years, when she is a grown, educated woman. She decides to tell her own story.

The Romanian student who, at 21 had received
Sabita Mehra
May 16, 2015 Sabita Mehra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Notwithstanding that it is a translation and there are many spelling and grammar typos in the book, I found it riveting and heartfelt. The book gives a good peek into the lives of India's intellectual elite way back in the 1930s, which was curiously liberal and yet conservative: clearly a society still trying to adjust to Western influences while being unable to completely let go of their core conservatism. It would be easy to blame Maitreyi Devi's parents for being narrow minded about her choic ...more
Kali
Aug 08, 2007 Kali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the romantics
that "love never dies"...a cried a lot...
Andreea Obreja
Jun 15, 2012 Andreea Obreja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who have read 'Maitreyi'
It took me a while to read this and now I don't remember much, so I don't know what to say...
The ending was weird. Really weird - in a good way. I assume it was imaginary because the lines didn't fit the characters (in my opinion).
The only thing I didn't like about this book is the fact that it should be a love story, it should be about Mircea 'Euclid' (as she states a few times), yet all she talks about is herself. Actually, it's funny that right after she says that she won't say that much abou
Miriam Cihodariu
I would have normally rated this book to a 4 star value instead of 5, but I think it deserves greater recognition and respect if only for setting the story straight. The book is written as a response to Mircea Eliade's 'Maitreyi' novel, which is douchey to say the least.
As revealed in this novel with her side of things (and which is indeed much more plausible than his, for reasons too many to count), he made public a fictional account of their otherwise platonic connection, describing a intense
Irene
Jun 23, 2008 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-paris
Mircea Eliade, a respected Romanian expert on science and religion, went to India at a young age to study. There, he fell in love with the daughter of his teacher/master. What followed was scandal and a life-long separation. Mircea wrote a very transparent novel called "Bengal Nights". 40 years later, the girl finally read it, and wrote a book in answer to his. Gorgeous story.
Meg
Apr 15, 2007 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book and Bengal Nights must be read together. They are an interesting story about a colonial "love story". Mircea Eliade the "colonizer" published Bengal nights which was an account of his romantic experiences with Maitreyi Devi. Forty years later Devi read Eliade's work and published her own account of what happened.
Melania
May 07, 2015 Melania rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DRAGOSTEA NU MOARE

Fiecare dintre noi a citit ori cel puţin auzit de romanul Maitreyi al lui Mircea Eliade. Unii dintre noi am avut şansa să-l şi studiem în liceu. Şi nu pot uita ceea ce ni s-a spus în momentul imediat lecturării romanului - există un răspuns, Maitreyi a existat cu adevărat, iar aceasta a vorbit despre cealaltă faţă a dragostei dintre ea şi Allan (Mircea). Astfel am aflat pentru prima dată de romanul Dragostea nu moare de Maitreyi Devi.

Romanul poate fi privit ca o oglindă a naraţ
Joseph
Apr 21, 2016 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a book that is often considered a "response" to Mircea Eliade's Bengal Nights, and an attempt for Maitreyi to tell her own story of their adolescent romance, the most wonderful thing I got from this book is that it does a much better job of humanizing Mircea and making him sympathetic than his own book did. In my review of Mircea's book I came away from it thinking he suffered from more than the usual young man's vanity and lack of self-awareness, and wondering why people seemed to think it ...more
Paul
Jun 29, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Revenge on an old lover (Mircea Eliade) by writing a far superior book. You go, girl!
Nusrat
far more better than the first book. and I hate Mirca Eliyod, dunno why.
Divya
Nov 01, 2012 Divya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
liked it a lot for the honest and delicate expression of a mature teenage love
পীয়্যান নবী
তিরিশের দশক, এক ইউরোপিয়ান, একটা বাঙালী ষোড়শীর পরেম...... এবং একজন রবীনদরনাথ।

ষোড়শীর বয়স তখন পরায় ষাট! চললিশ বছরের বযবধান। সুপত থাকা পরেম... চার দশক পর সেই কৈশোরের পরেমের বরণনা করাটা সহজ না।

আমি কি লিখব বা কি লেখা উচিত জানি না। খুব একটা কথা বলার পাচছি না। খানিকটা বোধয় অনুভব করতে পারছি। সেটা লিখবার কষমতা আমার নাই!

বইজুড়ে অনেক কবিতা... ভালো লেগেছে। যদিও অনেকগুলোই ধরতে পারিনি। সংসকৃত অনেক বাকয ছিল। বুঝতে পারিনি। তবে সবচেয়ে অসাধারণ ছিল নযারেশন... ভালো লেগেছে! এবং বুড়ো বয়সের রবিঠাকুরকে দেখতে পেয়ে আমি আ
John
Aug 12, 2015 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
. . . It Does Not Die is a beautiful, poetic, aching novel. Here a born-poet is at the height of her powers and maturity and yet is still that vulnerable, joyful sixteen-year-old girl. Devi slips back and forth in time, not simply remembering 1930 and all the years since, but living them again, even as her family life, her political and charitable work, and her poetry swirl around her. It Does Not Die is a meditation on memory, and investigation of motivation, a study of the tragedy of self-delu ...more
Shromona Dasgupta
I have read this novel in it's regional language and the way Maitreyi Devi has written it, the way she has poured down her heart into words is brilliant and truly an unforgettable story. I have not laid my eyes on it's English translation to comment about it but as reviews goes I can be affirmative that the regional version is better in expressing the writer's words.
Ionela Zugravu
Feb 01, 2015 Ionela Zugravu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aceasta carte in sine reprezinta atingerea profunda dintre "trecutul" si "prezentul" personajului Maitreyi ( in carte Amrita- <>). Modul de "scufundare" deceleaza ,prin intermediul fantasticului - ce se regaseste (desigur) in opera lui Mircea Eliade-, elemente ce au scopul de a tese un nou sfarsit pentru povestea "exotica", nemuritoare.
Zachary Littrell
This is not simply a companion piece to Mircea Eliade's Maitreyi. It's an argument, a confirmation, and a celebration of the young love featured in both books. Each page is the union of poetry and prose, past and present, mortality and immortality, and shame and acceptance at life and love. And when the final fateful meeting between Mircea and Maitreyi approaches, the book will refuse to be put down.
Shormee Amin
Mar 29, 2016 Shormee Amin rated it it was amazing
অসাধারণ। এরকম লেখা বহুদিন পরে পড়লাম। যারা পরথমবার ন হনযতে পড়বেন তাদের হিংসা করি। নিজেদের সীমাবদধতা, উতথান পতন আর পরিশুদধ হওয়া কে এত নিরদবিধায় খুব কম মানুষ বলতে পারে। ন হনযতে অরথ দেহের ভিতরে- অথচ দেহ কে ছাপিয়ে যেই ভালবাসা উপরে উঠে সেই তো মহৎ। মীরচার চাইতে হাজারগুনে পরিণত, ঋদধ মৈতরিয়ী দেবী। ...more
Lu B
Jan 23, 2016 Lu B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Replica neastepata a Dragostei... like always the humans feel different the LOVE

ideea e k recitind simt mai mult adevar in cartea ei decat in a lui Eliade!!!

E dragostea feminina.. what am I??
Katrina
Somewhat difficult to read because of the absence of editing, but a thoughtful and at times poetic must-read response to Bengal Nights.
Arnab Paul
Mar 28, 2015 Arnab Paul rated it it was amazing
অনযতম পরিয় ভালোবাসার কাহিনি। অকষত থাকুক ভালোবাসার পূনযসমৃতি... ...more
Diana
Feb 22, 2015 Diana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A văzut cineva un phoenix? Arată exact ca un albatros
Bianca Ichim
Oct 15, 2014 Bianca Ichim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Same beautiful story from a different point of view. Wow
Arijit Chatterjee
Feb 13, 2016 Arijit Chatterjee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
strongly recommended to love story lovers .
Ioana Alexandra
  • The Alhambra
  • কালবেলা (অনিমেষ, #২)
  • Pather Dabi: The Right of Way
  • Two Under the Indian Sun
Maitreyi Devi (bn: মৈতরেয়ী দেবী) was a Bengali-born Indian poetess and novelist, the daughter of philosopher Surendranath Dasgupta and protegée of poet Rabindranath Tagore. She was the basis for the main character in Romanian-born writer Mircea Eliade's 1933 novel La Nuit Bengali (Bengal Nights). In her ন হনযতে (It Does Not Die) novel, written as a response to Bengal Nights, Maitreyi Devi denied c ...more
More about Maitreyi Devi...

“Nu-i acoperiţi pieptul –
Aş vrea să văd dacă inima lui mai bate
Acest trup trecător
Păstrează în el sănătatea
Nemuritoare a unui întreg indestructibil
Ce cântă şi merge
Pe o melodie imposibilă.
Încă mai ascult cântecele sale
Pe care nicio armă nu le poate străpunge
Şi nici focul nu le poate arde.
Îl voi vedea încă o dată
Dincolo de marea de lacrimi.”
7 likes
“O greseala te duce spre alta, o minciuna urmeaza alteia si astfel adevarul nu mai poate iesi la lumina.” 6 likes