Start by marking “The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)” as Want to Read:
The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)

The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  211 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
When professor and amateur sleuth Kate Fansler accompanies a fussy friend to the rocky coast of Maine to peruse the papers of a famous, recently deceased author, she is horrified to come across one of her students, dead. Which leads her to one very important question, namely, would Max stoop so low as to murder...?
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published October 12th 1987 by Fawcett (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Question of Max, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Question of Max

Writerlibrarian
Interesting with an ironic twist. I liked it. Très littéraire. Even if the writers that are featured in the book are fictional you kinda want them not be so you can read Dorothy's novel or Cecily's last book. Kate Fansler is still one of the coolest heroine in the mystery genre I know. In this novel, we find Kate trying out "parenting" since her now quite grown up nephew Leo (first seen in the James Joyce Murders) on the verge of college, the moral dilemma of being true to oneself despite the co ...more
Cassandra
Cross does interesting things with pacing; one knows there must be a mystery because, after all, it is a mystery novel. But the early disrupting event (view spoiler) seems not to be a mystery at all, and so the book goes along, showing life in New York City in the mid-70s, with family tangles and literary drama, and then slowly the mystery is revealed -- or is it? The 'question' of the title is very much how the book is, the question o ...more
Sandra
Oct 24, 2015 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first two books in this series many, many years ago. This book was written and 1976 and certainly shows its age. I found four books at a used book sale and thought I would finish them.

I found this one a bit too scholarly/literary/pedantic for my taste.

I was going to read the next book, Sweet Death, Kind Death, but found the plot too similar to this one.

I think I will skip the rest of the series.
Susanna
Jan 08, 2016 Susanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mä en kyllä saanut tästä kirjasta mitään irti ja pidin suomennoksen kieltäkin huonona (tiedä sitten millaista se on alkuteoksessa ollut). No, tulipa luettua, jatkossa tosin tämän kirjailijan tuotantoon tuskin tartun.
Cyn Mcdonald
2 1/2 stars. Solution was fairly obvious.
Margaret
Jul 29, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2010
This was a different sort of cozy where we're not sure if there's even been a crime committed - high-brow literary professor Kate Fansler thinks there is and comes up with a scenario. I had read another book by this author (Death in a Tenured Position) with this character and I liked her much better in that - in this story she comes off a little snobby and stuck-up, much like the other main character, Max. Most of the story was not set in Maine unfortunately. This was okay, just didn't grab me m ...more
Pamster
Sep 16, 2009 Pamster rated it it was ok
Why did I read this? I guess because it was a Virago edition and Virago's cool, I rarely read mysteries and thought I'd try it, and the back of the book mentioned that the clues to the mystery were buried "in the lives of leading women novelists and feminists." I dunno.
Kestrell
Jul 29, 2012 Kestrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really delightful book, my favorite so far in this series (which I am reading out of order). A definite must-read for the sort of bookish female who loves novels set in Oxford, although Kate only visits Oxford briefly in the novel.
Jz
Mar 27, 2009 Jz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, own
5th in series. 1976
Caroline Kubale
Mar 13, 2011 Caroline Kubale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MTK
Vera
Vera rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Vera
Vera added it
Feb 03, 2016
Sue Bridgwater
Sue Bridgwater rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Ravi Menon
Ravi Menon rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Marian Mertes
Marian Mertes rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Peggy
Peggy rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Amarie
Amarie rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Martha Schwer
Martha Schwer marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Dec 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Killing Spring (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #5)
  • Oxford Blood (Jemima Shore, #5)
  • The Ivory Dagger (Miss Silver, #18)
  • The Shortest Way to Hades (Hilary Tamar, #2)
  • Mrs. Malory: Detective in Residence
  • The Maltese Manuscript (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #5)
  • Literary Murder (Michael Ohayon, #2)
  • Some Die Eloquent (Inspector Sloan #8)
1968686
A psuedonym of Carolyn G. Heilbrun.

More about Amanda Cross...

A Kate Fansler Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • In the Last Analysis (A Kate Fansler Mystery #1)
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)
  • Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3)
  • The Theban Mysteries (A Kate Fansler Mystery #4)
  • Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6)
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)
  • A Trap for Fools (A Kate Fansler Mystery #9)
  • The Players Come Again (A Kate Fansler Mystery #10)
  • An Imperfect Spy (A Kate Fansler Mystery #11)