Catopolis

Catopolis

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Seventeen original stories about the city of cats Set in a world that exists on the same plane as humans, yet is hidden from us, Catopolis introduces readers to an assortment of cats, ranging from a feline Seer who must take destiny into her own paws to defeat a dictatorial tomcat thug...to a black cat who can call upon the powers of the big cats to wage a war against evil...more
Published December 2nd 2008 by Signet Book (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Catopolis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catopolis

Paul Genesse
I just read all an anthology that I have a story in. It came out in December of 2008. The anthology is called CATOPOLIS. Yes, it’s 19 stories about the secret world of cats who mostly live in a really big city. These are the kind of stories where the cats talk to each other and discuss how they are actually the ones in charge. Sound familiar?

I wasn’t sure what to write at first, then I decided to write KITTY AND THE CITY, which is a parody of the TV show SEX AND THE CITY, except the four main ch...more
Jason
I only read this b/c I was making fun of someone who likes these sorts of "cat cozies" as she calls them. I didn't feel right continually berating her without actually trying to read some of the genre. What dreck this is! Out of the 17 short stories in here, one was good. Only one. Two were ok, the rest were garbage. The worst was a little tail (hehe) called "Kitty and the City". Her boyfriends name was Mr. Big Paws...I threw up in my mouth after reading that one.
Nicole Bunge
Almost done with this. Interesting perspectives these authors come up with. You'll have to get over the "By Bast's tail" and hairball references that EVERY author falls back on. That's kinda why I keep putting it aside. Even if you love cats, some tropes get obnoxiously repetitive really quick.

My favorite story so far is "Old Age and Sorcery" by Lee Martindale - very Authurian/Merlin dynamic. And "The Guardian of Grimoire Hall" by Christopher Welsch is another memorable one, about "feline envy"...more
Myth
I'm a cat lover and was really looking forward to this book. I gave it every chance I could stand to, but in the end I really didn't get into it. It bored me. I couldn't even finish it, though I might give it another go after a break.

Some of the stories were good, but a lot of them felt too much like they were Human stories imposed on the world of cats. The stories were often cliche and didn't feel authentic. It was more like, "what if cats were people".

In a few of the stories I found the autho...more
Rebecca
I have a dear friend in publishing, who shall go nameless unless she decides to out herself (not that it's that difficult to figure out), who likes to bring home random stuff to give to me to read. She knows I read like the wind, and thus am often willing to risk total dreck because it's not that much of a time commitment. She's given me some really awesome stuff on purpose, and some really awful stuff by accident, and some really awful stuff on purpose because she thinks it's hilarious.

Which is...more
Kris
A collection of short stories featuring cats as protagonists in a world like ours. Each story is by a different author, and they were very distinct in their styles. None of them were outstanding, but all were enjoyable on some level. Definitely for cat admirers.
I am a quick reader, love cats, and like short stories, but this book bored me. Out of seventeen short stories I only found four to be decent. Two of the short stories I couldn't even finish; they were more excruciating then having a wisdom tooth pulled. It took me several days to read this book (unusual for me) just because I reached a point where I just didn't want to keep reading it. But I always feel like I have to give a book a fair chance, and especially with short stories, that means fini...more
Jen
Many of the anthologies I've read recently have been pretty awful. With books of short stories, it's hard to stop reading if the first few stories are bad, because there is always the hope that the next one by a different author will be better. There is no need to hope for that with this book, because each story is as good as the one before it. The editors did a great job getting good authors to contribute and the authors all submitted worthy works. I love cats and it's good to see that they are...more
Brooke
I thought this was cute. Every story is original and interesting. It's a book by cat people for cat people. If you don't spend your days with cats this will not make you smile. But it made me smile. None of the stories were GREAT though. All were just average. Still if you like cats, you might like this.
Anne
An interesting collection of short stories regarding the secret lives of cats and cat society. All the stories are by different authors and some I really enjoyed while some were just so-so (hence the 3 star review). An easy read and one I'd recommend especially for "cat people".
Megan
A world entirely of cats? It was an interesting thought, and I was quite charmed by the short stories within. It was almost as if the characters weren't cats at all, but humans with an odd personnality to each. :)
Andrea
A cute premise if you're a cat lover - short stories about the underworld that cats exist in...from their politics to fighting evil forces to their secret love lives. However, the stories fell short for me.
Dayna Smith
A collection of short stories all cat lovers will purr over. These stories center around cats and their secret world and mythology. A great collection of stories by a great selection of authors.
Donald J. Bingle
One of my earliest stories appears in this anthology, not published til nine years after I wrote it.
Mary
Collection of short stories.
Wendy Christine Allen
Wendy Christine Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Jayme Allen
Jayme Allen marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Mary Weaver
Mary Weaver marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Tosari
Tosari marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...
The Dean Koontz Companion Foundation's Friends Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes Sherlock Holmes in America The Further Adventures of Batman

“What kind of god or goddess places a limit on love?” 4 likes