Start by marking “The Debutante's Dilemma” as Want to Read:
The Debutante's Dilemma

The Debutante's Dilemma

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  50 reviews

One woman in search of passion

Miss Cecilia Hastings has achieved what every young lady hopes for during her first London season...in duplicate! She's caught the eye of not one but two of England's most eligible bachelors. Both Jeremy Battersley, Earl of Henley, and Richard Huxley, Duke of Wexford, are handsome, wealthy and kind, the epitome of proper gentlemen. But Cecili

Published (first published November 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Debutante's Dilemma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Debutante's Dilemma

~J~ Riverina Romantics

For more reviews check out: www.riverinaromantics.blogspot.com

The description caught me straight away - A debutante that is caught between wanting two men – who in return want her back.

The first thing I noticed about this book was the amount of detail that went into the historical style of writing. It was constant and full on and frankly I was blown away at the amount of detail for a first time author – Elyse Mady truly did a fantastic job, but for someone that doesn’t read a huge amount of his
Mary Gramlich
Can a woman have two many men in her life?

Miss Cecilia Hastings is a striking beauty and the toast of the ton with not one but two handsome and eligible bachelors asking for her hand. These are not just any men mind you trying to obtain her favor these two men are the best of friends and have been since their first adventure after moving from the cradle to the adventure. Cecilia is envied and criticized by her peers and for making these two men choose between her and their friendship.

What Cecili
Kelly
This was one of those short, sweet little stories that dives right into the issues at hand and moves things along at a quick pace. I get a kick out of books where the perfect girl ends up being a bit wild (for the record, I also like books where the wild girl ends up respectable- as long as she gets to be naughty in bed!) or where the civilized trappings of society are tossed aside so that our main characters can experience true happiness.

What can I say? I liked this one. It isn't groundbreaking
Christine
I will always be drawn to historical romances that happen in or around Victorian or Regency London, so of course I had to check out this story from NetGalley. It was only 70 pages long, so a rather quick read. I liked it, but I wish it had been longer. There was much unsaid that could have been included, to round the story out (like who the groom was or even a follow-up scene after things were 'settled'). Nevertheless, it was a nice way to escape for an hour.

But next time, Ms. Mady, I implore yo
Dahlia (yadkny)
Mar 16, 2011 Dahlia (yadkny) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Lovers
Two men vying for the attentions of the same woman is never a good thing, or is it?

Cecilia, having been raised in a proper and prosperous household, has never had so much attention showered upon her like she has now. The whole of society is waiting on an expectant breath for her to show favor of one suitor over the other, but she holds back. Her reasoning is regardless of looks, title, or wealth, but of what will become of her when she is taken as a wife. Deep down she craves for her husband to
Christin (Portrait of a Book)
I love historical fiction, especially anything set in Regency London. And such a book with a little romance added in? Even better!

It was easy to be swept away in this story; the language and the society parties took me to another country and century. Mady delivered a high quality of writing that reminded me why I love classic novels. The style was, for the most part, consistent; but occasionally a seemingly modern word would creep in and I would be jarred for a moment.

Even still, for the majori
Freya Duquesne
This was a fun read. I really wish it had been made into a full-length novel, because the first part of it was mostly telling. It felt like a summary of a larger work. But I loved the characters--I wish we could have learned more about the two male leads. There was a homoerotic charm about their friendship that was very intriguing. It would have been nice to learn more about the heroine as well.

The Scene at the end was well written, sensual and explicit without being crass. It stayed true to th
Yvette
It could have been a five but I had a couple of issues with it.

1. The wording.

It's not just that the entire first chapter is in omniscient POV, but that the word choices were cumbersome throughout the book and work to slow down the read as a whole. Why say squab when you can say cushion, as Mark Twain would say?

Mark Twain: "I never write metropolis for seven cents when I can get the same price for city. I never write policeman when I can get the same money for cop."

2. The HEA.

Two men and one wom
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Vasya
The language in which this book was written was good. In fact, it was the only good thing in the book, because as for the rest...

The story is not developed. We are thrust in the middle of a story with only a sexual act as it's ending. That's it. There is a bit talk about her dilemma as she can't decide which one of the guys she wants most, but nothing major because the sexual act was spread on more pages than the actual dilemma. The "novelty" may be that it was set in the Regency era, but well,
Between the Covers

Even still, for the majori
Stephanie Tracy
I was so disappointed with this novella. I had previously read another Elyse Mady book and LOVED it, so I was excited to start this one, but there are absolutely no redeeming qualities to this story. First of all, the story is too short (as novellas are), to really develop an interesting story. The characters are just kind of thrown together and you don't actually get a good sense of who you're reading about. Secondly, I found the story to be completely and utterly unrealistic. I can't give anyt ...more
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
Reviewed on Romancing the Darskide:

A scandalous read too shocking for its time!

Cecilia Hastings is young woman in search of a man who will make a proper husband in London's society and a passionate lover in the bedroom. During her first London season she's managed to charm two potential suitors, Jeremy Battersley the Earl of Henley and Richard Huxley the Duke of Wexford, who also happen to be best friends. Cecilia enjoys the company of both her suitors, bu
Celine
Little romance novella set in Regency England. Debutante Miss Cecelia Hastings is being courted by two of the most eligible bachelors of the whole empire. Yet before she can make a choice between the two of them, she has to ask them something. Something of the utmost discretion.

Even though I generally dislike love-triangles, I got this novella for free, so I figured I'd give The Debutante's Dilemma a try. Because the choosing between the two men was actually the focus of the story, it felt less
Cathiecaffey
The Debutante's Dilemma by Elyse Mady is a quick erotic romance story of Miss Cecilia Hastings who has been the eye of the ton with her beauty and background. With two of England's most eligible bachelors, Jeremy Battersley, Earl of Henley, and Richard Huxley, Duke of Wexford, both expressing their want of her hand in marriage, Cecilia is at a dilemma of what to do. She has feeling for both of them as well as they do for her.

Cecilia decides that she doesn't want marriage without passion. She com
Habrewer
The Debutante’s Dilemma by Elyse Mady
* I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

The Debutante’s Dilemma takes us back to a time where carnal relations aren’t discussed much less a consideration for marriage. The only reason for a marriage match was for both families to profit. That wasn’t a good enough reason for Miss Cecilia Hastings though. The talk of the ton, she is a delight to have at any event. She is not only beautiful but well educated and well spok
Lexie
Amusing and to the point, The Debutante's Dilemma made up for its lack of too good to be true leading characters with a wit I appreciated. I find it rather remarkable that for all intents and purposes Wexford, Henley and Cecilia were perfect paragons of all that is good. Other than the short fall-out between Henley and Wexford, they remained utterly civilized. And Cecilia, even with her daring scheme, did it for the simplest of reasons--she wanted passion in her marriage.

I don't mean for that to
April
April
Quick read, nicely done —I really like the language, how it's written; it's a good match for the period in which it's set, almost like a Jane Austen without the light humor. The content of the story, goes from polite parlor room to erotic, though, so it may surprise some readers who came to this book for the Regency setting and yet dive in without reading the blurb. Hint: it's a little more than just a love triangle, folks.

I liked it, though. Probably my only nitpick about it is that you don't r
Kim
The Debutante's Dilemma is a historical romance set in 1800's London, in the height of the Season. It is a time of strict moral codes of behavior and the Cecilia Hastings is far more passionate than her prim and proper fellow debutantes. Cecilia was a likeable character, and as relatable as a character from another century and society can be. Her emotional struggle between her heart and the rules of society was well-written and well-developed, and drew me in as a reader. While you knew from the ...more
Beate
What the f**k is this? I haven't read anything more stale or boring in a long while. I tried to make my way through this novella, but my brain kept shutting down. I had to skim my way through it. Even that was impossible.

There was a huge distance to the characters, there was no way to connect with them. And who tagged this book as erotica? Seriously! There is nothing erotic about it. It's dry and boring, and the little "scene" at the end was just....not sexy or erotic.

This was half-way poetic an
Judith
A novella that is set in the classic historical romance genre and format, but which highlights once again that there were women and men who appeared to be completely bound and gagged by the rules of the ton but who managed to live life according to their own dictates. A young debutante is so beautiful as to be classified as one of the "Incomparables" and who has her pick of the aristocratic bachelors is stuck quite literally between two best friends. Both are madly in love with her, both are bou ...more
Kimm
This novella is not for the faint of heart…of the prudish variety that is…

It is a short and racy account of one women’s decision between two men…in which a compromise, of sort, is reached. I was a little taken by surprise when I read it because I would have categorized this as Erotica (maybe I’m wrong with the label) more than a Regency romance.

The story jumps to the point very fast and packs a quick powerful punch. There is not a lot of depth to the plot and the characters are skimmed over rat
Crizia
After reading the summary for the Debutante’s Dilemma, I pictured a romantic story where two best friends argue over who gets the heroine, fight a little bit, and then reconcile while the heroine chooses a groom to everyone’s satisfaction. But I got so much more.

Both Richard and Jeremy (best friends by the way) are in love with Cecilia who in turn, loves them both. So what is a girl on the marriage-mart to do? Why give them a task, silly! Cecilia is determined to have passion in her typical Ton
Laurie Gold
"When I requested The Debutante's Dilemma from Carina Press via netgalley, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but the summary harkened back to the days of the Traditional Regency Romance, which I've missed desperately since Signet and Zebra cancelled the last two remaining imprints. I have a stack of un-read Trads that I turn to as palette cleansers - 11 made it onto my Top 100 Romances ballot - and with this one available digitally, couldn't wait to dive in."

Thus begins my blog review of Mady'
LynnMarie
Hunter's Review

I loved this short story. It is so clever. I have read a million ballroom tales, I’ll admit I’m a sucker for stories of the ton but never have I read a ménage book written like this one. Both Richard and Jeremy are in love with Cecilia and while she loves them both she craves passion, something neither one of them has ever given her.

One night in a garden changes everything and I have to say that it is amazing how well the author handled the ending of this book. I highly recommend
Beka
Short and sweet. A great mix of sexual purity and hot lustful men.
Mel
This is a novela. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. It's the typical girl is persued by two men. She has never experienced passion. She lures them to a garden. Asks them to kiss her, they- of course-- do much more. And in the end, she marries one, but is in a committed relationship with both. The book never tells you who she actually married... only that she had two kids, each one looking like one of her lovers. *rolls eyes*

I don't know if Elyse has any full-length books, but I'm he
Corinna
This book was great, I read in an afternoon. All the characters were likeable, but I wish I could have known more about them. The main problem I had was that the book wasn't long enough! I want MORE!!

As much as I liked this book, I felt like I had read it before. I read something very similar online a few years ago (although who it was by, and what it was called I don't remember), and I could pretty much guess what would happen at the ending. But these minor points don't take away from the 5 sta
Andrea (mrsaubergine)
I was really enjoying this book - right until the last chapter. What a copout ending! It was obvious the author didn't want to resolve the "dilemma" of the title so she opted for the vague route, which almost totally ruined the whole story for me. I'm glad this was a freebie, as if I'd had to pay for it I would be really annoyed. I can only assume she ended up with the Duke - he had the bigger title - but... grrrr. Mady's other works have been recommended to me but now I'm not so sure.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Demon's Fall
  • Lessons in Indiscretion (The Merry Widows, #1)
  • The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale (Stormy Gale, #1)
  • Friendly Fire
  • Engaged in Wickedness (Bridal Favors, #0.5)
  • All the Pleasures of the Season
  • All She Wants for Christmas is Her Dom (1 Night Stand, #60)
  • Land of Falling Stars
  • The Spurned Viscountess
  • A Bolt From The Blue
  • By Honor Betrayed
  • The Mistress' House
  • Opposites Attract
  • Darklands: A Vampire's Tale (Darklands Vampires #1)
  • Forever Yours
  • The Riding Crop (Riding Crop #1)
  • Caressed by Moonlight (Rulers of Darkness, #1)
  • Beauty and the Earl (The Pleasure Wars, #3)
An enthusiastic and voracious reader of everything from 18th century novels to misplaced cereal boxes, Elyse has worked as a freelance magazine writer for the past several years.

Her first work of fiction, The Debutante’s Dilemma, was published by Carina Press in the fall of 2010. Her first contemporary romance, "Learning Curves" was published in June, 2011

In addition to her writing commitments, El
More about Elyse Mady...