Start by marking “The Chasm: A Journey to the Edge of Life” as Want to Read:
The Chasm: A Journey to the Edge of Life

The Chasm: A Journey to the Edge of Life

A Journey He Couldn’t Missâ and a Step He Couldn’t Take

He found himself a traveler in the strangest of lands. Where invisible secrets come starkly into sight. Where the fairest of companions leads the way into unsuspected danger and darkness. Where hidden battles burst into the open. Where so much is graspedâand so much more seems unattainable.
ÂÂÂDriven by a yearning he
Published February 8th 2011 by Multnomah (first published January 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Chasm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chasm

Brandi
Feb 13, 2011 Brandi rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
(I'm reviewing this because I received it for free through Goodreads' First Reads program.)

The one thing worse for me than reading a bad book is writing a bad review of it. But I had such a hard time finding anything to like about this book! As a Christian, it's not as if I even had (many) theological objections to the story, and I'm not even opposed to Christian fiction - I like almost everything by CS Lewis, and in my younger years I read and enjoyed Beverly Lewis' books and Francine Rivers' M
Kogiopsis
Eeep! Of course this happens... the first book giveaway the atheist wins is overtly religious.
Okay. Trying new things, trying new things, trying new things, HOW DID THIS HAPPEN, trying new things...
I will get through it, and the review will be interesting indeed.

Oh, and it'll probably offend some people.
So here goes...

One star, according to Goodreads, means 'didn't like it'. I guess you could say that's my general reaction to the book. By way of explanation, though, I should mention that I didn'
Gail Welborn
Feb 24, 2011 Gail Welborn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
The Chasm, A Journey to the Edge of Life, by Randy Alcorn, Multnomah Books, 2011, Hardcover, 128 pages, ISBN-13: 9781601423399, $14.99

"...not all is as it appears. Are you ready to walk the red road to the chasm?" Shadrach spoke of the road to "Charis, the City of Light," the road before death, not after.

After a foolhardy detour when he left the cave, Nick Seagrave returned to the red road Shadrach first directed him to, which brought him to the chasm and the "bottomless pit." Where multitudes o
H.A. Titus
Jul 18, 2014 H.A. Titus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: allegory
The Chasm is adapted from Randy Alcorn's book Edge of Eternity.

Nick Seagrave has been brought from our world into another, where spiritual battles can be seen, where a red road holds the secret to eternal life, and a chasm awaits those who try to find Charis, the City of Light.

I read Edge of Eternity several yeas ago and loved it. The Chasm is quite short, about 110 pages, and it took me a couple of hours to read. It nicely condenses Nick Seagraves' allegorical journey to Charis into something m
Timothy Stone
Feb 02, 2014 Timothy Stone rated it it was amazing
When I first received my review copy of *The Chasm*, by Randy Alcorn, I looked it over. At first, I was a tad disappointed since it was obviously a short novella. I had thought it might be a bit longer. It also takes place during the time line of Alcorn's novel, *Edge of Eternity*. Thankfully, *The Chasm* was written in such a way as that one does not need to have read *Eternity* in order to understand it. With reassurances in hand, I settled down to read the book.

The story revolves around a man
Shelia
Sep 17, 2011 Shelia rated it it was ok
Shelves: religious
Allegory or Parody?

This is an allegorical story of “man’s redemption” by Christ. However, at times it read more like a parody. I am not certain of the reading level, but it read as if it were geared towards teens and young adults.

The Chasm is adapted from Randy Alcorn’s earlier story Edge of Eternity. In these stories, we are following the character, Nick Seagrave. He is on a spiritual quest. It is unclear in the Chasm whether this journey is a mental struggle or if he’s walking that thin stri
Valentin Mihov
From Publishers Weekly

Alcorn offers a companion to his novel, Edge of Eternity, in this Pilgrim's Progress–style allegory about a man who comes to see his own wasted life through a series of misadventures, battles, and sins. These lead him to a chasm he cannot cross without the help of trusted—should he trust them?—guides, most importantly a Christ figure, the Woodsman, and a tempter, Joshua. The end is not utopia, but a life with unexpected joys and faithful companions. For those who apprecia

Nelda
Sep 21, 2016 Nelda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glimpse of Heaven

Read this if you want to see more clearly what is real, worthwhile and true. Randy Alcorn had a gift of pulling the veil back a little so we can glimpse Heaven.
Marie
Apr 29, 2011 Marie rated it liked it
From the Publisher:

A Journey He Couldn’t Miss… and a Step He Couldn’t Take

He found himself a traveler in the strangest of lands. Where invisible secrets come starkly into sight. Where the fairest of companions leads the way into unsuspected danger and darkness. Where hidden battles burst into the open. Where so much is grasped…and so much more seems unattainable.
Driven by a yearning he doesn’t understand, compelled toward a destination he can’t quite see, the traveler navigates the inhospitable
Kate
Jul 16, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
An unreachable destination called Charis is a musical city of light that has the ability to draw whomever sees it.
Nick Seagrave on a quest to find the truth, encounters others along his journey. Battling unthinkable obstacles and unfriendly terrain Nick experiences feelings, terror and the like which cannot mimic anything he has felt and witnessed prior. Will he reach his goal or will he be purposely detained?

This book is unlike anything I have read up to this point. Visions, terror, warfare tha
Suzanne Moore
This book is a part of Alcorn's novel Edge of Eternity. I listened to it on audio, and have never read Randy Alcorn, so I can't compare with other writings by this author. I can compare it to Pilgrim's Progress

Nick Seagraves reminded me of a modern Christian (main character in PP). The book begins with Nick longing to reach the other side of a chasm and enter Charis “city of light.” We learn of trials he faces, and become involved with him as he battles temptations and an extremely ugly beast.
Deborah Sloan
Feb 10, 2011 Deborah Sloan rated it really liked it

Traveling in a strange land with wonders and obstacles, with strangers all around and not knowing who to trust. Which road should he take, the grey roads or the red road when both seem to end at the same place. Nick Seagrave is not sure what is real anymore in his world or this one he finds himself in. What is this battle seeming to go on all around him and which side is he on anyway.

Reading The Chasm-A Journey To The Edge of Life by Randy Alcorn will bring you to the edge of what your life is a
Dan Cooley
Apr 11, 2011 Dan Cooley rated it really liked it
he Chasm’s story will remind you of Pilgrim’s Progress. The updated writing and spiritual war will remind you of Frank Peretti (This Present Darkness). If you’ve read neither book, reading this one may remind you of life in Junior High – back when you could see the dark, sinister side of life and realized your need of deliverance. Well, maybe that was just my Jr. Hi.

The Chasm is an abridgement of Randy Alcorn’s book The Edge of Eternity. For that reason it’s a bit diving into a waterfall. It too
Joy
Mar 04, 2011 Joy rated it liked it
A few pages into Randy Alcorn's The Chasm, I wanted to toss it away because I was knit-picking every little detail from choice of words to his writing style. To be honest, I felt he was trying to redo a classic that can never be duplicated--nor should anyone try. While Alcorn clearly gleaned great inspiration from John Bunyan's Christian allegory, The Pilgrim's Progress, Alcorn has produced a modern Pilgrim in the form of Nick Seagrave.

While I took some issue with certain aspects of the author's
Sandra Stiles
Jul 31, 2014 Sandra Stiles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, adult
Not only did the book contain beautiful illustrations brought the message to life, but the message was made clear in this book. The main character Nick represents everyone of us who walks the earth. Before me meet Christ we are unaware of the great chasm between us and our Lord. It is a chasm that we created. His death to save us was painted in such a way that we can’t help but understand what we must do to bridge the gap. This book is one we don’t want to hold on to but one we need to pass on ...more
Laverne Ombadykow
Feb 20, 2011 Laverne Ombadykow rated it liked it
Because I have read other works of fiction by Randy Alcorn (Deadline and Dominion), I was really looking forward to reading this book. I was surprised by a couple things ~ this book is short (a little over 100 pages) and also an allegory (similar to Pilgrims Progress).

It was difficult for me to get comfortable with the book in the beginning and I never really put myself into the position of the character, but at the end of the book I understood that it is about our sin, Christ's gift of salvati
Lara Ballard
Jul 04, 2012 Lara Ballard rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: religious confusion, dream readers
I have to admit, I did judge a book by its cover. I saw it and instantly I felt the need to have this books content in my mind. Upon reading it, it dawned on me that I felt like this was a religious book. When I finished it, I came to find out that it was in fact the journey of a man's struggle on how he feels about his relationship with God, in a sense. This book was beautiful, and I didn't feel like it was a Christian trying to shove his beliefs down my throat, in fact I felt a deep connection ...more
Esther
Apr 19, 2011 Esther rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
When I first read the description for The Chasm by Randy Alcorn, I was definitely intrigued. The book arrived in the mail, I rushed to open the package eager to dive into reading it. Within the first couple of pages I realized that something was sounding vaguely familiar. A few more pages in and Pilgrims Progress came to mind. Then I am sad to say I put the book down and didn’t revisit it for a couple of weeks. Why? Well Pilgrims Progress is a story I know and appreciate but The Chasm was ...more
Ben Zajdel
Dec 14, 2011 Ben Zajdel rated it liked it
The Chasm is essentially a modern day Pilgrim's Progress. It's a fantastical, allegorical tale that is rich in imagery and symbolism. This book is tied in with Alcorn's previous work, The Edge of Eternity.
The book follows a man's journey toward a chasm and the city that lies just beyond the pseudonymous hole. He encounters many magical beasts and people along the way, each representing certain ideas and characters from the Bible.
If you like a good allegory, this book is for you. It jumps aroun
Mark
Aug 17, 2011 Mark rated it it was ok
Shelves: personal-library
Randy Alcorn is an author I normally love to read - both fiction & non-fiction - but this allegory about the Gospel message is my least favorite book of his that I've read. Although there are some great moments - particularly the section around the chasm & the tree - much of the book feels very similar to other Christian allegories.

I need to mention the artwork as well - though the cover is well-done, the art on the interior is childish & distracting.

Randy did a much better job of c
Rachel N
Certainly not Alcorn's best. It starts off very intriguing and then becomes predictable. It felt like Alcorn had so much to say but instead chose to simplify & shorten at the sacrifice of depth. Esther S at http://frequencyofwords.tumblr.com/po... appropriately compares The Chasm to Pilgrim's Progress. The parallels were so apparent that it took away the uniqueness that Alcorn usually writes with.

I read Edge of Eternity many years agon and only gave it 3 stars (but I don't recall why). Deadl
Shannon
Mar 05, 2011 Shannon rated it it was ok
This was a very different read for me. I understood the purpose of the story and what it was meant to inspire, but it just didn't reach me personally. I had a hard time understanding and relating to the character. This was the first book I've read by Randy Alcorn, so maybe I just don't understand his perspective as an author. The illustrations in the book helped somewhat to picture the events described. Overall, the book was OK, but not memorable enough for me.
Lynn
Feb 03, 2011 Lynn rated it it was ok
Thank you goodreads for chosing me to read your book. I have to say that this book is over the "Edge" for me. How he sees his past life develop in front of him and how in retrospect doesn't like what he sees. How he envisions life to the edge and how he can make the difference from here on. I'm sure if you like meaning of life books, that you may reflect on spiritually, you may love this book. Unfortunately, this book was not for me.
Kimberly White
Aug 03, 2011 Kimberly White rated it did not like it
I bought this book mistakenly thinking it was a sequel to Alcorn's earlier book, Edge of Eterniinbty when in fact, it's a very abreviated , condensed version of the same book and not nearly as well written. Unless you suffer from ADHD or simply don't have time to invest in the former book, my suggestion is save your money.
Josiah DeGraaf
Aug 15, 2014 Josiah DeGraaf rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
This was a fair allegory and a good read... But I was disappointed when I came to the end just to learn it was an adaption of part of another novel by Alcorn, Edge of Eternity. Wish I had known that beforehand so that I could have just gotten the full novel, and not only part of it.

2.5 Stars. (Okay)
Kristin
Apr 27, 2016 Kristin rated it it was ok
Shelves: novel, theology
I loved Alcorn's book, Heaven, and it greatly changed my perspective on life, death and heaven. I was curious to see how he wrote fiction.

This story is an allegory. I know he was trying to put a picture on the intangible. I just had a hard time really connecting with it and staying interested until closer to the end.
Marcelle
Sep 02, 2016 Marcelle rated it liked it
I've always loved allegories so that makes this book an interesting read. However, I was a bit surprised that spiritual warfare was depicted in such a bloody way. Lots of sweat, blood, bulging muscles, swords and other graphic images. It seems like it was written for a culture that spends too much time playing video games.
Jeannie
May 02, 2011 Jeannie rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I have won this book in a Firstreads giveaway.

The book was interesting, rather put me in mind of the Screwtape Letters. Definately an interesting spin on the ultimate journal. It was rather dark for me, but could be the experience of others.
Jen
Sep 24, 2014 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
I actually finished this a long time ago, just never got around to reviewing! Listed to it on CD, which frequently leads to bad reviews from me, but I don't think I would have liked it had I read the hard copy. Not a fan of allegory, so much of it did not connect with me.
Clara Dearmore Strom
I love Randy Alcorn and was sorely disappointed by this novella. This is partially taken from his book Edge of Eternity which I loved. Some might like the pen and ink drawings. Oh well, no one is perfect.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • As One Devil to Another
  • Vigilante (Dangerous Times, #3)
  • The God Hater
  • Implosion: Can America Recover from Its Economic and Spiritual Challenges in Time?
  • The Chair
  • Silent Pledge (Er Trilogy, #3)
  • The Victor: A Tale of Betrayal, Love, and Sacrifice
  • Deadly Ties (Crossroads Crisis Center, #2)
  • Sir Rowan and the Camerian Conquest (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #6)
  • Tandem
  • Am I Really a Christian?
  • The New Shape of World Christianity: How American Experience Reflects Global Faith
  • The One Who Sees Me
  • A Wolf Story
  • Quest for Celestia: A Reimagining of the Pilgrim's Progress
  • A Family Guide to Narnia: Biblical Truths in C.S. Lewis's the Chronicles of Narnia
  • Storm Warning
  • Tangled Ashes
Randy Alcorn is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.

"My ministry focus is communicating the strategic importance of using our earthly tim
More about Randy Alcorn...