Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers

The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers (The Berenstain Bears)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,150 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
When Papa Bear tells the cubs why they should never talk to strangers, Sister begins to view all strangers as evil until Mama brings some common sense to the problem. "The Bears' rules for safe conduct among strangers are listed on the last pages, including a rule about the privacy of a bear's body. A good book to start awareness in young children."--School Library Journal ...more
Published October 27th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers

Sarah Sammis
Feb 01, 2008 Sarah Sammis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released
Books are a wonderful tool for teaching children about the world and to give them the tools to survive. That doesn't mean that books need to hit children over the head with these important life lessons.

The Berenstain Bears series of books runs the gamut from entertaining stories of a brother and sister growing up to blatantly obvious and forced lessons. The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers is in the unfortunate obvious and forced end of the spectrum. It's frankly an awful book. It's as ba
Nick
Mar 16, 2015 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the surface, this book is a simple, heavy-handed warning to children about "stranger danger". However, on a subtle level it examines two important ontological oppositions. The primary of these is the relationship between self and other. This duality is present not just in the stranger/non-stranger pairing, but also in the contrast between Sister and Brother. The authors highlight the crucial difference between the siblings as being their adherence to social norms. This text is ripe for a femi ...more
Madison Godfrey
Apr 30, 2014 Madison Godfrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has a heavier content matter than previous Berenstain Bears books. Sister is always very comfortable around strangers and is always eager to talk to them and meet them. Papa realizes this is a bad habit because some strangers can be bad people so he sits her down and warns her. He shows her headlines about children getting kidnapped and strangers being bad people, sufficiently scaring her from ever talking to strangers again. When Mama sees how scared of all people Sister does not know, she ...more
Kimbely Fletcher
Brother and Sister Bear are out with Papa and Brother starts talking to strangers. Pap warns them about the danger of strangers. This terrifies them and scares them away from all strangers. In the end Mama talks some common sense into the kids and tells them what to look out for.

I would use this book in my classroom to teach about stranger danger. I could use it in a thematic unit about safety. I really enjoyed this book because it teaches a usable skill.
Rachel
Jan 19, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I realize that most Berenstain books are written to teach a morally driven or safety-conscious lesson and I have no problems with that concept--in fact that is precisely one of the reasons that I love Dr. Seuss stories. However, this is not the format in which to take itself too seriously and "stranger safety" isn't a theme that can be humorized, so it just doesn't work, other than as an awkward introduction to a well intended discussion.
Sam Gaume
Apr 25, 2014 Sam Gaume rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tchlrn-307
This book has an extremely important message in this day and age and that is to be cautious of strangers. Sister is always willing to talk to strangers and approach them until Papa tells her that strangers can be kidnappers or killers. Sister then proceeds to be terrified of strangers until her parents talk to her again and convince her that not all strangers are bad, but just be aware of them. She then saves her brother from a potential kidnapper because she is so aware of possible danger. This ...more
Shacoria
Jun 25, 2011 Shacoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Small Children
This is the 18th Berenstain Bears book that I have read. This book teaches about strangers and I think that it does a very good job. I especially liked the safety tips at the end of the book. I think that this will be my final Berenstain Bears book. I'm sort of getting sick of the bears altogether. There's nothing wrong with them and there's really only so much bear perfection a person can withstand.
Alexandria
This book deals with a more serious issue than I am used to in children's books. Sister is always very comfortable around strangers and is always eager to talk to them and meet them. Papa realizes this is a bad habit because some strangers can be bad people so he sits her down and warns her. He shows her headlines about children getting kidnapped and strangers being bad people, sufficiently scaring her from ever talking to strangers again. When Mama sees how scared Sister is of everyone, she dec ...more
Taylor Anderson
This Berenstain Bears story is all about facts on strangers. Mama and Papa Bear teach Brother and Sister Bear about strangers. After some misunderstandings with Sister Bear, things get set straight. This book belongs in the children's genre because of it's large amount of illustrations that contribute to the meaning of the story.

A mentor trait found in this story is idea. The theme of learning about strangers is evident throughout the whole book, so it could be used as a way to teach students a
Susan
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, storybook
It's a difficult subject and was handled reasonably well. However, the book neglected the part about listening to your instincts (it mentions 'use common sense' at the end, but that is something entirely different).

The book also ignores the fact that children are far more likely to be harmed and/or abused by people that they know than they are by strangers. This type of story lets everyone to conveniently continue to ignore the problem of abuse of children by people familiar to them Convenient
Javen Smith
Sep 22, 2015 Javen Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great for kindergartners! This book is great for a concept book it really help teach the children in your classroom about talking to strangers. The author does a great job at address the issues of who is a strange, how do I know if there a stranger, what they look like. All those questions are in the book. Theses series where read to me as a child and I love them I even watch them on T.V as a child. Illustration is great but the concepts behind these books are usually better.
Rebecca
Jan 18, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-kids-books
I love this safety book, because it talks about how most people are GOOD and we do not need to be afraid of strangers. It says that there are a few "bad apples" that means we should never go with a stranger. Mama Bear shows them that bad apples could look great on the inside, but have a worm on the inside. Bumpy, weird looking apples could be tasty good apples on the inside. Lots of good stuff in there.
Diego
Feb 03, 2015 Diego rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just re-reading my childhood books. I found a bunch but just wanted to read them again. As we grow up we look at things differently and this was quick and short read, I remembered the pictures and the exciting adventure from one page to the next. I now cherish my reading even more. These books truly gave me the desire to read.
Heather
Sep 18, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I don't want my children to be afraid of the world we live in, I'm always thinking about how to teach them to have the smarts they will need to make safe, instinctive, often instant, decisions. I ordered this book to teach J about strangers, and he really likes it. We read it often. I highly recommend it.
Heather
Aug 29, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book because I really need my 4 year old to understand that not every person she meets on the street is someone that she can interact with. This book shows sister bear who is very extroverted and talks to everyone she comes across (just like my girl.) Brother advises her not to talk to people she doesn't know and she wonders why not. Papa explains that there are terrible people who do terrible things to little bear cubs. Sister is so scared that she doesn't want to leave the house the ...more
Alexis Fiore
Jan 26, 2014 Alexis Fiore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all Berenstain Bears books! This book teaches Sister Bear the importance of not talking to strangers and the danger that comes from it. This would be a great book to read to any age because it is important for children to aways remember not to talk to strangers. My favorite part of the book was the very last page, because it has a list of rules that are great for all kids to follow.
Gabrial Olson
Sep 21, 2012 Gabrial Olson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brother Bear has always been more of the cautious one and Sister Bear is more of a free spirit and loves to talk to everyone, this book teaches kids that you shouldn't talk to strangers. It also teaches us that you can't tell if a person is bad or good just by their appearance.

This book is intended for early elementary students.

I think this book is a good fit for the primary grades however, the reading may be a little difficult for first graders to read on their own. The Berenstain Bear books a
Kate
Dec 04, 2015 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-hobbit
I like this book. It doesn't cover everything about strangers but it's a good jumping off point. I really like the apple analogy and the list of stranger rules at the end.
Grace
Sep 04, 2014 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book cause it teches kid how never to talk to strangers at anytime! Except family like mom or dad grandparents ect. I think it is a wonderful book!
Kim
Jan 24, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children
My daughter loved these books. I think I read all of them to her. This was a good one as it dealt with stranger danger.
Steve
Jul 17, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading the Berenstain Bears books to my children. Each and every one of them sends a positive message.
Chester Richmond
This book discusses the dangers of strangers. It seems more and more recently there are more predators in our world and it is prudent to warn your children about the imminent threat. The Berenstain's show interactions between the children and strangers and the proper way to respond if you are approached by someone you do not know.

Teaching your class a lesson on being safe when around strangers could give you peace of mind to know they will make safe decisions when they are out of your classroom.
Brenna
Feb 23, 2014 Brenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This booked sort of freaked me out as a kid, but I always remembered to watch out for "stranger danger"
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 26, 2013 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
The Berenstain Bears Learn about Strangers by Stan and Jan Berenstain
I love this story, as it is such an important lesson. When you're a cub, everything is all fun and games, and you have no worries. Sister Bear likes to say, "Hi" to everyone and thing. Brother gets after her, so she asks Papa. And his response, "The reason you should never talk to a stranger and never ever take presents from a stranger and never ever ever go anywhere with a stranger is that it's dangerous." Now this does scare
Madi Welton
Apr 06, 2014 Madi Welton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book teaches an important safety lesson for children on talking to strangers.
Audryaunna
Nov 23, 2014 Audryaunna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an excellent book about "Stranger Danger."
Kristen
Mar 09, 2015 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great tool to help kids understand about strangers.
Kevin
Jun 03, 2014 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a good book it teaches you how to avoid strangers
Jessica brown
Apr 28, 2011 Jessica brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was really funny because I remember when my mother taught me to never talk to strangers and what could happen. I think I was to friendly as a kid and never really lsitened but this book opened my eyes to what could have happened. I didn’t think everyone around me was going to snatch me up like they did in this book but the mother really set them straight. I loved the mom’s reaction in this book she was kind of like what the hell are my kids doing that is not what we taught them. This on ...more
  • Just a Mess (Little Critter)
  • Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4)
  • Franklin's Bad Day
  • Where's Waldo? The Fantastic Journey
  • Clifford's Birthday Party
  • The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks
  • Richard Scarry's Find Your ABC'S (Pictureback®)
  • Good Night, Little Bear
  • Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark