Start by marking “Mistress of the Catacombs: The fourth book in the epic saga of 'Lord of the Isles'” as Want to Read:

Mistress of the Catacombs: The fourth book in the epic saga of 'Lord of the Isles' (Lord of the Isles #4)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  846 ratings  ·  13 reviews
For the first time in a thousand years, the Kingdom of the Isles has a government and a real ruler: Prince Garric of Haft. The enemies joining against him intend to destroy not only the kingdom but humankind as well.

The rebels gathering in the West outnumber the royal army and the magic they wield can strike into the heart of the palace itself, but far greater dangers lie
Published April 1st 2007 by Tor Books (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mistress of the Catacombs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress of the Catacombs

Dark-Draco
Like the previous books in the series, the story begins with Garric, Liane, Sharina, Cashel, Ilna and Tenoctris all together, comtemplating their next moves to unite the Isles. But they are soon whirled apart. Garric is tricked by a wizard and wakes up in the body of a young idiot man, many years in the future, where he is part of a outlaw band searching for a mysterious ring. When Chashel tries to follow him, he is sent to another place, where he rescues a young girl from an angry sea monster. ...more
Eric
I have been reading a book series by David Drake collectively called Lord of the Isles (the title of the first book). I have read Queen of Demons and Servant of the Dragon in the series.

Currently I am on book four, Mistress of the Catacombs. It is a fantasy series taking place in the fictional defunct kingdom of the isles. A kingdom once under one rule before wizardry destroyed the last king’s forces and sunk several of the island nations reducing the kingdom to a series of petty kingdoms.

The se
Dee W.
The mold of heroes set to the wind only to end up together is being worn thin. Still he is a master at this; his imagination never falters in the situations he places all the characters in.

I'd like to point out, once again, how sick I am of the 'weaver' theme in fantasy novels. It was cute the first time I encountered it in Exiles: Ruins of Ambrai by Melanie Rawn. Now that I know it's a genre staple it gets on my nerves.

I can honestly say I am going to miss some of these characters. None of the
Alex
Fun enough, but felt like more of the same - the characters stuck to their well-worn paths and acted as we'd expect them to.
Andy Butturini
Wow the fourth book in the series and I loved it. Wasn't too sure about starting them because they are about the biggest books I have read so far but I was not disappointed. Have since learned that there is at least 2 more books in the series so I must have them
Becca
I love these characters. There is so much depth and uniqueness in each of the characters the story follows. I feel like I know them, yet they constantly surprise me. And the magic, as always in Drake's books, is brutal, yet essential. Another good time-hopping, rage-inducing, action-packed stage of this series. Can't hardly wait to pick up the next one.
Jacob Aitken
Pretty good. His take on Babylonian religion actually lines up with what some say about torsion physics. We also see why God urged his people to deal with Babylonian-Middle Eastern paganism in so violent a manner. It wasn't a pleasant religion.

The only problem is that Drake started creating way too many worm holes.
Benjamin Plume
At this point it became abundantly clear that these books would follow the same formula over and over. They get broken up into roughly the same groups, fight a bunch of seemingly unrelated stuff that ends up all connected to the same source.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
I wish I could remember what drove me crazy about these books and made me finally stop reading them. I know I ended up pretty much hating the main guy, but I can't remember why.
tatiana
I'm back to this series, again. I've been lucky enough to find each of these books, cheaply. I'm happy to be among these ever-familiar characters again :)
Chad
this book follows the roadmap that each of the others has... it has an ending that is somewhat surprising but can be guessed if you pay enough attention...
Howard
16, mac-ebooks
Shona Stowe
Shona Stowe marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Lindsey Bolser
Lindsey Bolser marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Elorigan
Elorigan is currently reading it
May 13, 2015
Chris Braybrook
Chris Braybrook is currently reading it
May 10, 2015
Ginel
Ginel marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
  • The Assassin's Edge (The Tales of Einarinn, #5)
  • Bonds of Vengeance (Winds of the Forelands, #3)
  • Scepters (Corean Chronicles, #3)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • Lady Pain (Gil Trilogy, #3)
  • Requiem for the Sun (Symphony of Ages, #4)
  • Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)
  • The Shadow Gate
  • Sleipnir
  • Forward the Mage (Joe's World, #2)
  • Lord of the Fire Lands (King's Blades, #2)
  • The Sword of Calandra (Winter King's War, #2)
  • The Veil of a Thousand Tears (The Pearl Saga, #2)
  • The Kingless Land (Band of Four, #1)
19472
David Drake is an American author of science fiction and fantasy literature. A Vietnam War veteran who has worked as a lawyer, he is now one of the major authors of the military science fiction genre.
More about David Drake...

Lord of the Isles (9 books)
  • Lord of the Isles (Lord of the Isles, #1)
  • Queen of Demons (Lord of the Isles, #2)
  • Servant of the Dragon (Lord of the Isles, #3)
  • Goddess of the Ice Realm (Lord of the Isles, #5)
  • Master of the Cauldron (Lord of the Isles, #6)
  • The Fortress of Glass
  • The Mirror of Worlds
  • The Gods Return
Hammer's Slammers (Hammer's Slammers, #0) Lt. Leary, Commanding (Lt. Leary, #2) With the Lightnings (Lt. Leary, #1) An Oblique Approach (Belisarius, #1) The Far Side of the Stars (Lt. Leary, #3)