Start by marking “Mistress of the Catacombs: The fourth book in the epic saga of 'Lord of the Isles'” as Want to Read:

Mistress of the Catacombs: The fourth book in the epic saga of 'Lord of the Isles' (Lord of the Isles #4)

3.62  ·  Rating Details ·  1,039 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Return to the the epic tale of the Lord of the Isles, David Drake's saga of magic and might.

For the first time in a thousand years, the Kingdom of the Isles has a government and a real ruler: Prince Garric of Haft. The enemies joining against him intend to destroy not only the kingdom but humankind as well.

The rebels gathering in the West outnumber the royal army and the
Published April 1st 2007 by Tor Books (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mistress of the Catacombs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress of the Catacombs

Jim Pike
Feb 10, 2016 Jim Pike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Continuing to work it's way into my favorites category. Gripping storytelling, and interesting characters keep me wanting more.
Dark-Draco
Apr 19, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like the previous books in the series, the story begins with Garric, Liane, Sharina, Cashel, Ilna and Tenoctris all together, comtemplating their next moves to unite the Isles. But they are soon whirled apart. Garric is tricked by a wizard and wakes up in the body of a young idiot man, many years in the future, where he is part of a outlaw band searching for a mysterious ring. When Chashel tries to follow him, he is sent to another place, where he rescues a young girl from an angry sea monster. ...more
Eric
Mar 08, 2008 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading a book series by David Drake collectively called Lord of the Isles (the title of the first book). I have read Queen of Demons and Servant of the Dragon in the series.

Currently I am on book four, Mistress of the Catacombs. It is a fantasy series taking place in the fictional defunct kingdom of the isles. A kingdom once under one rule before wizardry destroyed the last king’s forces and sunk several of the island nations reducing the kingdom to a series of petty kingdoms.

The se
Dee W.
Nov 12, 2007 Dee W. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mold of heroes set to the wind only to end up together is being worn thin. Still he is a master at this; his imagination never falters in the situations he places all the characters in.

I'd like to point out, once again, how sick I am of the 'weaver' theme in fantasy novels. It was cute the first time I encountered it in Exiles: Ruins of Ambrai by Melanie Rawn. Now that I know it's a genre staple it gets on my nerves.

I can honestly say I am going to miss some of these characters. None of the
Becca
Apr 09, 2010 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these characters. There is so much depth and uniqueness in each of the characters the story follows. I feel like I know them, yet they constantly surprise me. And the magic, as always in Drake's books, is brutal, yet essential. Another good time-hopping, rage-inducing, action-packed stage of this series. Can't hardly wait to pick up the next one.
Jacob Aitken
Pretty good. His take on Babylonian religion actually lines up with what some say about torsion physics. We also see why God urged his people to deal with Babylonian-Middle Eastern paganism in so violent a manner. It wasn't a pleasant religion.

The only problem is that Drake started creating way too many worm holes.
Andy Butturini
Jan 24, 2015 Andy Butturini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow the fourth book in the series and I loved it. Wasn't too sure about starting them because they are about the biggest books I have read so far but I was not disappointed. Have since learned that there is at least 2 more books in the series so I must have them
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At this point it became abundantly clear that these books would follow the same formula over and over. They get broken up into roughly the same groups, fight a bunch of seemingly unrelated stuff that ends up all connected to the same source.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
I wish I could remember what drove me crazy about these books and made me finally stop reading them. I know I ended up pretty much hating the main guy, but I can't remember why.
Howard
16, mac-ebooks
Alex
Jan 11, 2015 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Fun enough, but felt like more of the same - the characters stuck to their well-worn paths and acted as we'd expect them to.
colleen
Nov 23, 2007 colleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scpl, fantasy
read 06.18.06
Chad
Apr 21, 2008 Chad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book follows the roadmap that each of the others has... it has an ending that is somewhat surprising but can be guessed if you pay enough attention...
Heather Rogers
Jul 16, 2015 Heather Rogers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book more than the previous.I love mister Drake's imagination! He had a penchant for creating new and interesting worlds.
tatiana
May 09, 2011 tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm back to this series, again. I've been lucky enough to find each of these books, cheaply. I'm happy to be among these ever-familiar characters again :)
Nancypillot
Nancypillot rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Chris Bauer
Chris Bauer rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2012
Kevin Bott
Kevin Bott rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2011
Monika
Monika rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2014
Toni Whitaker
Toni Whitaker rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
D.M.
D.M. rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2017
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2013
Shinlori
Shinlori rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Bill
Bill rated it it was ok
Oct 28, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2014
James
James rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Justin Perkins
Justin Perkins rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2012
Eloise Manyen
Eloise Manyen rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2013
  • Transvergence (Heritage Universe 3-4)
  • The Shadow Gate
  • The Assassin's Edge (The Tales of Einarinn, #5)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • The Sea Lark's Song
  • Blood of Mystery (The Last Rune, #4)
  • Road to Underfall (Loremasters of Elundium, #1)
  • Lady Pain (Gil Trilogy, #3)
  • Inheritance (Keys of Power. Book 1)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)
  • The Mountains of Channandran (Winter King's War, #3)
  • Dragon's Ring
  • Sleipnir
  • The Prince of Dreams (Seven Brothers, #2)
  • The Dagger's Path (The Forsaken Lands, #2)
  • Exiles of the Rynth (Irissa and Kendric #2)
  • A Sorcerer's Treason (Isavalta, #1)
  • Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)
19472
David Drake is an American author of science fiction and fantasy literature. A Vietnam War veteran who has worked as a lawyer, he is now one of the major authors of the military science fiction genre.
More about David Drake...

Lord of the Isles (9 books)
  • Lord of the Isles (Lord of the Isles, #1)
  • Queen of Demons (Lord of the Isles, #2)
  • Servant of the Dragon (Lord of the Isles, #3)
  • Goddess of the Ice Realm (Lord of the Isles, #5)
  • Master of the Cauldron (Lord of the Isles, #6)
  • The Fortress of Glass