Start by marking “Afleggjarinn” as Want to Read:
Afleggjarinn

Afleggjarinn

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  1,591 ratings  ·  241 reviews
Ungur maður sem er "svo að segja alinn upp í gróðurhúsi" á brýnt erindi til afskekkts staðar í útlöndum með þrjá rósaafleggjara í farangrinum. Ófyrirsjáanlegir atburðir taka völdin á meðan söguhetjan sjálf glímir við karlmennsku sína, líkama, málfræði, ást, matargerð og rósarækt.
Published 2008 by Salka (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Afleggjarinn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afleggjarinn

Dan
I'm a little obsessed with Iceland. It's a gorgeous country and produces some amazing literature - Bragi Olafsson's The Pets ranks among my favorite books of all time - so I was thrilled when I came across Auur Ava Olafsdottir's The Greenhouse; it's not every day that an English translation of a contemporary Icelandic literary title comes my way.

This is a quiet novel, written in a crisp and direct style - in that way it reminds me of Murakami, though the comparison ends there. Lobbi is a young
Tabasco
I read the Italian translation (nota al traduttore e all'editore: su "do" di "io do" l'accento NON ci va. Ma insomma, dove avete studiato??).
This is the story of the Icelandic Forrest Gump. He has a retarded brother, but he has some serious issues too. I disagree with many reviewers who see him as a real, regular, almost typical 22 yo man. Let's put it out there before anyone misses it: this guy is border-line autistic.
Things happen to him and to his body often as if he was watching them on a s
Barbarac
Nov 04, 2012 Barbarac rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sylvia
I just read another review that mentioned this book was quiet. Exactly. This book is quiet. Part of it takes place in a monastery, and that's how this book is, simple and quiet.
It's the story of a young man leaving his country for the first time and leaving his father and twin autistic brother behind. His mom died a few years back and the family still seems to not have moved on.
Part of the book is the road trip to his destination, which is never mentioned by name. Neither is his country of ori
Nathalie
J'ai adoré les deux premiers tiers de ce livre, alors que Arnljótur quitte l'Islande pour un genre de road trip vers l'âge adulte, plein de naiveté et d'authenticité. Le personnage est très attachant, drôle, souvent émouvant. J'ai beaucoup aimé sa vision du monde, et j'avais souvent envie de souligner certains extraits.

J'ai beaucoup aimé la dernière partie, mais pas aussi intensément. J'y ai trouvé certaines longueurs, et la fin a un petit coté légèrement Paulo Coelho. Mais je lui aurais donné
Larissa
Re-read for class, in Icelandic, October 2014. (Listened to audio book read by author, too.)

Re-read for new review, November 2012.

Reviewed for Iceland Review, December 10, 2012, here: http://www.icelandreview.com/icelandr...

***

Part road novel, part bildungsroman, Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir’s The Greenhouse is a meditative story of love, death, fatherhood, and creating meaning in life even when it seems to be entirely dictated by chance. Published in English translation in 2011, it is the first of te
Teresa
. Uma mãe que morre num acidente de automóvel;
. Um pai extremoso;
. Um rapaz autista;
. Uma menina - fruto de um fugaz encontro sexual - bela como um anjo e que faz milagres;
. Um jovem a caminho do mais belo jardim do mundo para lá cultivar uma rosa rara;
. Uma jovem dividida entre o amor e a carreira;
. Um monge apaixonado por cinema.
Envolve-se tudo; tempera-se com umas gotas de corante rosa; polvilha-se com alguma auto-ajuda. Serve-se morno, acompanhado de um pouco de fé.

Não gosto muito destes pet
Susan
The Greenhouse is a surprisingly lovely little story, with as much left unsaid as said. A young man, someone who doesn't seem especially comfortable in his own skin, takes his love of gardening to a country new to him. And he has a daughter, conceived in a careless one-night, actually less than one night, stand. I couldn't help but cheer him on as he learns about love, relationships, being a father, all aided by a monk who has at least one film to recommend as answer to all of life's questions. ...more
Pamela Barrett
When 20 year old Arnljotor, or Lobbi as his father calls him, has a one night stand in his mother’s greenhouse, with a girl he barely knows, she gets pregnant. At the time, his life is unsettled; his mother has died, his elderly father wants him to pursue an advanced education degree, and his autistic brother is in an assisted living home. Lobbi loves working with plants and plans on traveling to a medieval monastery to help the monks bring their world renowned ancient garden back to its former ...more
Fionnuala
The main merit of this charming story was that it inspired me to step outside and weed the garden. So I was away from screens for a while. Well, for half a day...
Sheila
This book caught my eye for two main reasons. First, the title made me take my first look because I love all things gardening related. Then, the description of the book kept my attention because it described a story not only of the shared love of the title greenhouse between a son and his deceased mother, but it also told of the journey of the son to a remote monastery to restore its once fabulous gardens. Enough said...click...download...read...and I am glad to have done it.

I would describe thi
Elisabete Teixeira
Gostei muito deste livro, que é diferente do meu habitual. Ao ler o comentário final do tradutor, João Tordo, percebo que há especificidades que tornam a narrativa bonita e próxima, que são características de alguma literatura escandinava, sendo 'A morte de um apicultor ', aí referenciada, um dos livros que mais gostei.
Nesta história, que se lê fluidamente e com prazer, toca-se a humanidade das personagens, que poderíamos ser nós, a nossa família ou os nossos amigos. Porque pensam e agem como qu
Jim
There's a passage early on in Lord of the Rings where Frodo asks Sam, who has always wanted to meet Elves, what he thinks of them now that he's met them. Sam thinks for a moment and replies, "They're a bit above my likes and dislikes, if you know what I mean." That was pretty much how I felt when faced with the prospect of trying to settle on a star rating for The Greenhouse. I weighed everything from 2 up to 5, but none of them felt quite right for summing up this rewarding but flawed novel.

Th
Roberta
E' consolante sapere che dal Nord Europa non arrivano solo gialli e thriller, ma anche romanzi 'normali', diciamo. Detto questo, sono molto contenta di aver speso 89 centesimi (per la versione ARC - in traduzione inglese - di Amazon) piuttosto che 17 euro (o 9,99 nel caso della versione digitale) per la traduzione italiana. The Greenhouse (Rosa candida in italiano): è un libro piacevole ma avevo altre aspettative.

Arnljótur Thórir (soprannominato dal padre, grazie al cielo, Lobbi) è un ventiduenn
Spigana
Ļoti klusa grāmata, kas lēnām un nemanāmi ievelk savos tīklos. Par pieaugšanu un sevis meklējumiem, par to kā dažkārt nepieciešams atrauties no ģimenes, lai atkal rastu ceļu uz to.
Sākumā man šķita, ka man šī grāmata riebsies un ka tulkojums ir briesmīgs, bet tad es grāmatā ielasījos, arī neveiklās teikumu konstrukcijas nozuda un galu galā man grāmata tīri labi patika. Bet šī ir pārāk mierīga grāmata, lai tā izsauktu skaļu sajūsmu un vispār tā vairāk būtu piestāvējusi agram rudenim, nevis vasara
Vi
Ho scelto di leggerlo spinta dalle recensioni entusiaste. Devo essermi persa qualcosa perchè io invece non l'ho trovato per nulla eccezionale. Originale sí ma è come se l'autore non fosse riuscito a sviluppare l'intuizione che indubbiamente ha avuto.
L.D.
Why are readers drawn to certain books? The answers vary among readers. For me, my interest began with Stieg Larsson's novels, Scandinavian Authors and the Translators. When "The Greenhouse" came under my radar it was a must read. My other Scandinavian Authors wrote in the Mystery Genre, and this was a deviation. The novel read smoothly in seventy-seven short chapters. My impression was what was unwritten than written. The ultimate read would be in the Author's own language. No matter how excell ...more
Sara Hlín
Las hana á íslensku eftir að hafa nýlokið við að lesa Undantekningu sem kom út núna um sl. jól. Ég er hrifin af frásagnarstílnum hennar Auðar Övu en sama atriðið pirraði mig við Afleggjarann og við Undantekningu. Í báðum bókum eru börn sögupersónur og í báðum bókum virðist sem hún hafi ekki rannsakað nægilega vel hvað börn á vissum aldursskeiðum eru fær um að gera! Í Afleggjaranum er Lobbi með 9-10 mánaða gamalt barn sem getur gert hluti sem venjuleg börn á þessum aldri geta ekki. Barnið getur p ...more
Victoria
I feel like translated fiction can be awfully hit or miss - usually more of a result of the translation, than the original work. This translated novel I thought was smoothly written, and very interesting. I really enjoyed reading it, but it felt more like half a novel than a full novel because the ending was just lacking. Everything about it felt unfinished, other than the relationship between father and daughter. The ending did not satisfy me, and some of the more fantastic healing elements wer ...more
Pardesi
This short novel is told in a first person, stream of consciousness narrative. The narrator, Lobbi, is a young (22) Icelandic man who makes a long journey to tend the once famous rose garden of an isolated monastery that has fallen into disrepair. He leaves behind his 77 year old widowed father and autistic twin brother. Also left behind is a 4 month old daughter, born of a one night stand, that he has seen only once – the day she was born.

The voyage to the monastery is fairly uneventful, apart
Chris
The best thing about this book is that a 50-someodd year old woman has captured the voice of a 22 year old man. That, however, is the worst thing about this book as well.
I found his self-centered reflections a little annoying, but having been 22, there was some uncomfortable resonance with the thoughts the lead character shares, as well. I found this discomfort interesting to explore (some).
The main character has had some hardships, but for the length of the story, things seem to come pretty ea
Lise Sirois
I liked a lot this small book. Reading it maked me feel in a very soft and warm place.
The story: A young man leaves his father and twin brother to go to work in a monastery redoing a rose garden. The Young man misses his deceased mother, his family old and new. He discover the world outside and travels to find himself too.
Nice story, delicate way of telling it. Small strokes with a little paintbrush in pastel colours.
Elaine
After Anna arrives the prose of the story becomes unnatural at times. We really don't need to hear "the mother of my daughter," "the child." and "my daughter" over and over again. We get it. We know who they are. The girl's mother is referred to as the "geneticist". This narration is unnatural and annoying. It's much more natural to use given names and pronouns.

Most of this is quite the yawn. There's nothing here to draw you in. There seems to be no purpose to the story. Browsing through books,
Dianne
This was a rather leisurely book to read. I found I could dip in for awhile, put it down, go on to something else, return when I was in the mood. Atmospheric, not much in the way of a plot, in a way it's a coming of age story. Our young hero has lost his mother recently and is rather adrift. He has a night of passion in his mother's old greenhouse, resulting in the birth of a child. He leaves the village, leving behind the child and its mother, to restore an ancient rose garden at a monastery ma ...more
Tereza Nekorancová
Jemná, krásná kniha, ideální pro podzimní začtení se. Kdo má, stejně jako já, rád severský styl psaní, popisy přírody a zdánlivě nepodstatných detailů, bude nadšený. Příběh jednoho obyčejného lidství, dalo by se říct, prodchnutý vůní růží.
Saoirse
Voilà une lecture rapide, légère, une vraie lecture d'été. Ce roman est très bien écrit et se lit très facilement. Je ne m'attendais pas à ça en empruntant ce roman mais je n'ai pas été déçue. J'ai beaucoup aimé les deux premiers tiers du livre, un peu moins la dernière partie et pas franchement la fin. Le rythme est lent, très lent, mais cela ne m'a pas gêné. Les réflexions intérieures du jeune héros sont parfois un peu étranges et peut-être un peu trop présentes mais c'est aussi l'essence du l ...more
juan carlos
Un libro con una trama sencilla que no tiene giros inesperados ni momentos cumbres, pero que aún así disfrutas. La verdad este libro hizo una química conmigo, que provoco en mi una lectura fluida y que el reloj avanzara sin que yo me diera cuenta, ya que la vida del protagonista me tenia completamente absorto y anonadado. El final, en realidad no me gusto, me dejo con un vació interno realmente feo, pero es realista y adecuado para la trama. Una novela diferente, una historia que muestra lo crud ...more
Marie
Une histoire simple d'un jeune homme jardinier qui quitte son pays, l'Islande, pour se rendre dans une roseraie dans un pays non-nommée (Italie?). Sa mère décédée lui a transmis son amour des plantes et en particulier des roses. Il laisse son père et son frère au pays ainsi que sa petite fille de quelques mois et la mère du bébé. C'est un roman de la découverte de soi, du passage à l'âge adulte- la vie du jeune homme au monastère est un moment privilégié de réflexion et de rencontres. Une lectur ...more
Gemma Alexander
As a quirky coming of age story, The Greenhouse is tremendously satisfying.
But there are other elements of the story that don’t settle quite so easily. Throughout the book, Audur drops clues that there may be something holy about infant Flora Sol. Lobbi repeatedly notes the appearance of an aura around his child, who resembles the infant Jesus in the monastery chapel’s stained glass window. The upstairs neighbor seems to believe the child is capable of curative miracles.
Except for a lovely visua
L. Meadow
First off the blurb on this book does not accurately reflect the book at all. In fact it is incredibly misleading and wrong. 0/10 for the blurb.

The book itself attempts to be interesting, but its not, and it ends abruptly.

The prose itself was mostly-well written enough to keep me reading, but after finishing I'm left thinking - ok that was seriously pointless.

It was OK. Some nice prose. Abrupt ending. No real point to the story. Not recommended.
Siobhan
I believe my first Icelandic author.Really enjoyed this warm and tender story of a young man discovering adulthood and life in general through a series of events and observations. Charming and beautifully written, I enjoyed the characters, the detailed observations the 22 year old makes of the people around him,and the setting for the story was also intriguing as the author never mentions where they are! Look forward to reading more from this author.
Rosa Candida 1 14 Apr 15, 2014 02:20PM
  • Ljósa
  • The Museum of Abandoned Secrets
  • 101 Reykjavik
  • Drei Minuten mit der Wirklichkeit
Auður Ava Olafsdóttir was born in Iceland in 1958, studied art history in Paris and has lectured in History of Art at the University of Iceland. Her earlier novel, The Greenhouse (2007), won the DV Culture Award for literature and was nominated for the Nordic Council Literature Award. She currently lives and works in Reykjavik.
More about Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir...
Butterflies in November Undantekningin - de arte poetica Upphækkuð jörð Sálmurinn um glimmer

“Can a person who has been brought up in the heart of a thick dark forest, where one has to beat a path through multiple layers of trees just to take a letter to the post office, have any conception of what it’s like to spend one’s entire childhood waiting for a single tree to grow?” 27 likes
“—You’ve got to follow your dreams, Mom would have said.” 0 likes