Start by marking “Her Good Name” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176

Josi S. Kilpack

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  796 Ratings  ·  147 Reviews
Chrissy is having an identity crisis. As a single woman and convert to the Church, she has always managed to find her place in life — at least until someone else begins using her credit cards, her bank account, and, most important, her name. Now the real Chrissy must prove her innocence against a growing pile of collection notices and unpaid bills. But with no job, no mone ...more
Published 2010 by Deseret Book Company (first published September 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Her Good Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Good Name

Cindy
Aug 29, 2008 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Cindy by: Josi Kilpack
Rebecca Irvine
Jan 08, 2010 Rebecca Irvine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was naughty last night. Yesterday I received Josi S. Kilpack's novel Her Good Name in the mail (I had won it on the LDS Women's Book Review Blog) and started reading it. I should have gone to bed at 9 pm to get enough sleep and get up early to get my things done before work. But this book was too good to put down. I read it until 11:15 pm (when I finished). And tonight I will likely be rereading it, although I am extra tired this evening.

Here is the description of the book:

"Chrissy is having a
Heidi
Jan 01, 2009 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church, fiction
As an LDS fiction, this is one of the better ones- hence 2 stars instead of 1... I like Josi Kilpack a lot, and I love that she writes about relevant, current topics like modern infertility and identity theft and internet predators. However, this story lost me at the point where the victim of identity theft goes to Southern California (from Idaho) to track down the people who stole her identity. I mean, I understand that it wouldn't have made a very good story if she'd just sat around in Idaho m ...more
Michelle Llewellyn
A light and fun read.
The plot is strong enough to hold the reader's interest, but it's a slow moving one. For example, it takes more than a month in the novel's time frame before the two main characters realize what's happened to them and that they need to work together to find answers as victims of identity theft.
The reader is tipped off from the start so it's pretty obvious how it will all wrap up which might bore some readers.
The story is also told from multiple character's points-of-view (th
Linnae
Chrissy's life is going well overall, despite her single status at age 35, and despite more than a few blind dates gone wrong. So when she meets Micah on yet another blind date, she has no idea that her world is about to be turned inside out. Not that they particularly hit it off, although they both sense some potential for good things there, but because that afternoon their ID's are stolen and sold.

As they both deal with changes in family situations, all of a sudden the ramifications of identi
Janice
Oct 20, 2008 Janice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Lady Audley's Secret, I needed something light and this one was a really fast and easy read. My only complaint is that I wanted more at the end. Did she end up with the guy? Did she adopt that baby? If I knew there was going to be a sequel to this, I would have been more satisfied at the end.
Ginny
May 08, 2015 Ginny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a slow start to this one but it turns out to be a compelling story of identity theft. It creeped me out a bit that someone can do so much damage with just some little bits of key information about a person. Some parts were a little cheesy, but it was very effective at showing the process of how one's life can be dramatically impacted by this. The roadblocks to how one clears their name after this happens were enlightening too. It brought to life how frustrating dealing with this kind of ...more
Heather
Oct 04, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults, preteen 12+
Shelves: suspense
By Josi S. Kilpack

Review by Heather Moore

I’m a longtime fan of Josi Kilpack and her books rank among some of my favorite LDS fiction. Her recent suspense novels are just as good as anything written in the national market. Her last book, Sheep’s Clothing won the 2007 Whitney Award for Best Suspense by an LDS writer, and it was well deserved.

So you can imagine the anticipation that I had to read Her Good Name. I was caught up in the story right from the first chapter. Chrissy, a thirt
Mommywest
Apr 21, 2011 Mommywest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Chrissy Salazar is a feisty convert to the Church who finds herself in a horrible situation when her identity is stolen. With the help of a former blind date (from a date Chrissy would rather forget), Micah Heet, she is determined to find out who did it and make things right.

Another wonderful story that is difficult to put down, and with characters that you really care about or absolutely despise (I know, I keep saying this, but it's true). At times the story seemed a little far-fetched, but, t
Dlora
This was another good LDS suspense novel written by Josi Kilpack. The story this time is about identity theft. Chrissy, a 35-year old Latina convert, has her identity and personal identification stolen and sold to a rebel from Guatemala who is involved with drug running, stolen guns, and murder. Trying to prove that she isn't the same person as the one who has racked up massive debt nor has she put a second mortgate on her home nor been arrested for possession is like trying to prove a negative, ...more
Mar 20, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chrissy Salazar is thirty-five years old, single, and has pretty much decided that all the disastrous blind dates she has been on really haven't been worth the time or the effort. So, when she embarks on yet another blind date set up by the wife of her home teacher, she goes into that experience with low expectations. She is pleasantly surprised, however, to discover that there are still some gems to be uncovered in the world of LDS singles in Idaho Falls. She meets Micah Heet who is a divorced ...more
Kristen
Feb 22, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story for the most part but I seriously hesitated reading it after a comment in the beginning. I guess I am a little sensitive when it comes to step-parenting and there was a comment about the kids being "our kids" and the step-parent's role as non-existent which kind of rubbed me wrong. Actually it did more than that and I considered writing the author and giving her a piece of my mind. Instead, I talked to my husband and a couple of days later, picked the book back up and finish ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Aug 28, 2008 Holly (2 Kids and Tired) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds
Chrissy Salazar has a good life: she is active in her church and adores her niece and nephews. It's not perfect: she's 35 and still single, her sister drives her nuts, and she's facing yet another blind date.

However, when her identity is stolen, her life really spirals out of control. Suddenly, she has no job, no money, no credit and an arrest warrant. Micah, her blind date, has his identity stolen as well and the two embark on an attempt to clear their names. What happens next is nothing short
Josephine
Feb 24, 2016 Josephine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the first book I've read by this author and I really enjoyed it. Mostly I liked the realness of the characters, especially the guy. He wasn't your typical knight in shining armor from a typical romance novel. He actually could have been a very real man. He wasn't perfect and neither was the main female character. The story line itself was fun and got pretty exciting. Made me feel an urgent need to go check my credit and make sure my identity hasn't been stolen!
Fun book!
Karla Hansen
Mar 03, 2014 Karla Hansen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, though fictional, should be read by everyone. We think when our identity is stolen it may mean that someone will buy a big screen tv that we can prove is not our responsibility.
Identity theft is a billion+ dollar business with very little the innocent can do and almost nothing the authorities can do to catch and prosecute the guilty. We should all be aware and this novel helps us understand the pitfalls.
Entertaining and easy read--a little romance,and intrigue.
Lisa
Mar 26, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gets off to a slow start, but becomes more interesting as it goes along. Certainly it makes you think about identity theft, which is perpetrated on the protagonist, Chrissy. For once, the characters call the police when things go dangerously downhill, although not as soon as I think a sensible person would (meaning "not as soon as I would"). Not as entertaining as Kilpack's Culinary Mysteries series, but still an okay read with some thought-provoking content.
Teri
Mar 07, 2009 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Her Good Name by Josi S. Kilpack

Since identity theft is the number #1 crime in America for the 8th straight year, I was very interested in reading Josi's newest issue book. She has such a knack in really delving into an issue that is very relevant in today's society. Chrissy Salazar meets Micah Heet in a cafe on a blind date, never realizing from that date that Chrissy's identity would be stolen from her. With Micah's help as a loan officer, she is able to get her identity back amidst all the re
Michelle
Jan 28, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds
Good story, and not cheesy, like some LDS books can be. Chrissy is impacted by identity theft, which is the basis of the story. A little romance thrown in, but not enough to sideline the main plot. It makes for a good story, but I had a hard time believing the trip to CA to find the culprit. Fun story, yes. Reality, no. What I really liked was the page or two at the end detailing different kinds of identity theft, and what a person can do about it. Good information
Megan
Apr 20, 2009 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When her boss's lecherous son takes over the insurance company, Chrissy decides it's time for a career change. She's always been careful with money and figures she can live on her savings while she decides what she wants to do. Suddenly she finds her bank account emptied, her credit destroyed, and a warrant out for her arrest. As Chrissy tries to prove her innocence, she runs into something much bigger than she expected.

This was a real eye opener on identity theft. Fascinating characters, especi
Heather
Oct 01, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing story that teaches you along the way about identity theft. I enjoyed the story and the cute little quirks that Chrissy had. I thought that some of the promtings she recieved were a bit far fetched. I don't believe that we always recieve instant promtings like she had or hear a distinct whispering every time, however she wasn't given direct answers everytime which was a bit more realistic. Although I realize there was surely a purpose to why it was portrayed that way.

I really liked th
Shanda
Feb 08, 2009 Shanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pretty much anyone
This was a good story with a good message. The first thing I wanted to do after reading Her Good Name was sign up for a credit monitoring program. Besides helping me realize I'm not as diligent about my credit as I should be, Josi's novel kept me turning pages. At times I wasn't quite sure how I felt about Micah & his relationship with Chrissy- their first date & interactions at times felt unbelievable & awkward to me. I was able to feel for Chrissy's niece & nephews and the situ ...more
Rheanna
Jan 14, 2016 Rheanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting topic for a book. Makes me a little more nervous about having my identity stolen! Haha! Still can't decide how I feel about much of the plot though, but enjoyed it for what it was. Really wish I could give half stars. More of a 3.5, but good enough I rounded up.
Amy
Dec 01, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here is another LDS romance/adventure. I would put this more in the adventure category. This one was pretty good, and also gives you good information on what to do if you suspect your identity has been stolen.
It is about a single gal named Chrissy who goes on a blind date with this guy, and they both end up having their identities stolen. They are both kind of hesitant in getting too involved in dating, but while they are working together to get their names and credit cleared they fall in love
Kelli
May 07, 2011 Kelli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds
The author did a great job portraying the frustration someone must feel when their identity is stolen. However, that is not something I necessarily want to read because I started to feel some of that frustration as well. It was also very slow moving and I found myself skimming over some parts. I do like that she left Chrissy and Micah's relationship kind of open at the end instead of forcing them to say I love you or get married when they had barely known each other. I kind of wish that she woul ...more
Sandie
Nov 11, 2014 Sandie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This a a real tale about what can happen to someone via Identity Theft.. Chrissi's trials to clear her name certainly make you pay attention as to what can happen to you and how it could affect your life..
Amy
Apr 18, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Left me wanting a little more resolve at the end. I hate when books end just as people get together but not quite fully together yet. Loved the current theme with identity theft. Liked the main character as well.
Carrine
Jan 26, 2016 Carrine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good "lighter" read about a serious subject. I found the topic of criminal identity theft to be very interesting...I hadn't thought much about how far someone could go with it.
Ang
I liked this book a lot. It was a little mystery and action sans the unbelievably stupid get yourself into trouble run of the mill lady sleuth.
Erin
Feb 28, 2014 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mormon
This is chick lit, so you have to do the obligatory suspension of reality, but this was light and fun. I'd recommend it to lovers of mormon chick lit.
Susan
Jul 24, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction, lds
Important read, as well as entertaining. Important because it brings more to our awareness a huge and growing social problem. Identity theft is the background for the story, the element that brings the two main characters together. The author did a good job realistically putting together a tale of personal terror, international intrigue, and all, but I was frustrated when it took SO LONG for the police to be involved. Maybe I have too much faith in the system, but it was frustrating.

But it did a
  • By Morning Light
  • Shudder
  • The Perfect Fit (Butterfly Box, #3)
  • Olivia (The Newport Ladies Book Club)
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • Crossfire (Saint Squad, #3)
  • How to Stuff a Wild Zucchini
  • Murder by Design (Kennedy Killingsworth, #2)
  • Fool Me Twice
  • Reality Check
I wrote my first book while on bed rest with my third child in 1998 and haven't stopped. My most recent books have been The Sadie Hoffmiller Culinary Mystery Series and "A Heart Revealed," a Regency Romance novel.

I currently live in Willard, Utah with my husband, children, and cat.
More about Josi S. Kilpack...