Start by marking “Tooth & Nail (Warder #2)” as Want to Read:
Tooth & Nail (Warder #2)

Tooth & Nail (Warders #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,420 ratings  ·  102 reviews
Nineteen-year-old Dylan Shaw is possibly the most beautiful thing Malic Sunden has ever seen. After Malic rescues Dylan from an attack, Dylan makes it very clear that he is more than interested, but Malic won't even consider sleeping with Dylan because of his age. Malic is sure he's not good enough for Dylan, who has his whole life ahead of him, and can't conceive of burde...more
Published November 24th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published November 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Tooth & Nail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tooth & Nail

Amy Lane
Oh, this was fun! I love the fallen badass, the pushy younger lover, the guy who won't take care of himself unless he's doing it for someone else... all of my favorite plot elements in one fun, kick ass paranormal. My only complaint is that it was too short--but then, that's what my kids say about a stay in an amusement park, and that's what this felt like. Sheer sexy, butt-kickin' fun:-)
Tame
JUST PURCHASED IT!! I couldn't wait :D

I just love Mary Calmes' works---Just. Love. Her. This was a book that moved so fast, the sex scenes so hat, the action scenes so intense, I re-read it again before I even realized what I was doing :)

Just buy it---read it for yourself. You'll agree. . .and be hungering for the next installment!!
❧Gwen❤❦
Jun 01, 2012 ❧Gwen❤❦ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants something fun!
Ohhhh Malick~
Wren
I totally enjoyed this. Malic was terrific - the big bad tough guy that everyone is afraid of (except for the people who aren't). Dylan was adorable - the twink who knows what he wants and isn't afraid to go after it. The dynamic between them was entertaining, as Malic is very attracted to Dylan but doesn't want to hurt him (which he could if Dylan isn't his 'hearth'). Dylan just keeps holding on (figuratively) and befuddles Malic because he's so adorable and he should be afraid of the big warde...more
Kelly Maybedog
This was so much better than the first one. Lots of danger and near-death, lots of worry by friends, lots of sexual tension and ohhhh sweet hot sex. The age difference didn't even bother me. The twink is pushy and angelic at the same time. I loved him. Loved this book. Beware, though, major instalove.
Ana
Maya
I enjoyed this much more than His Hearth. Both MC's were engaging but Dylan in particular was a force to be reckoned with. I really enjoyed it.

Reread 02/08/12
Serena Yates
This is another nice story in the Warder universe. The second volume reveals a little more of the background and the paranormal world these people deal with. While the threat is quite dark and some of the fights are brutal, I found myself really drawn into the whole setup. Putting the pieces of the puzzle together is something I always enjoy, and this 'world' was no different.

Malic is an idiot who needs to be shaken to wake up and realize what life is all about. I understood that he was just afr...more
Janna
Tooth & Nail is book #2 in the Warder series. It's not necessary to read the first book in this series - His Hearth - but it'll give you a better comprehension of the world building and some of the other characters in this second book (especially Ryan and Julian from book #1 who reappear in this book).

*This review may contain spoilers for His Hearth.*

The leading man of Tooth & Nail , Malic, already played a very small part in the previous book His Hearth . Now he's the narrator of his o...more
Trix
I really liked the story. I by-passed the first novel, as some of the readers didn't give good reviews and the plot didn't seem all that interesting.

But I wanted to read this. The summary made it look good. [spoiler ahead]I was a bit thrown off by some of the creature names used in the book, though, they were later on explained. As always, I was charmed by Malic's character and the witty, funny and caustic way in which he regarded not only the world, his friends but also himself. I loved the ban...more
Nerine Petros
Lexi Ander
Malic, hard, mean, scary Malic meets an angel in the form of Dylan getting beat up in the bathroom stall of the club. Young, gorgeous, angel Dylan who looks at Malic and sees the man. "you saved me. You have to keep me now that you saved me."

In His Hearth, we were introduces to the world of the warders and it was good. I like this second installment much better. we already know the rules which leave more room for plot and character development. Malic is the only warder who doesn't have a hearth...more
Aurora Alexander
Apr 27, 2013 Aurora Alexander rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of strong/silent heroes, fans of cute "pushy" bottoms, fans of traditional paranormal romance

This was a very satisfying read. Dylan is one of those characters that I absolutely love just from the description. An angel indeed! Malic is the stereotypical strong and silent type. He is determined to save the world on his own and determined to save Dylan from the perils of life with a Warder. So very noble and extremely frustrating.

Tooth & Nail is a traditional paranormal. This is the book's main strength and its chief weakness. At times, I felt like I could replace Dylan with a...more
LdDurham
This book was really messy. Kind of a messed up thing to do to potentially awesome characters. I didn't know what was going on in most of it, like the author forgot we aren't actually in her head with her. I saw the great potential of this story, but it didn't come together properly for me at all.
Trisha Harrington
3.5 stars.

Really enjoyed it, but I didn't love it and the first one was slightly better in my opinion. Hence the 3.5 this time. But I really loved Dylan and it was nice to see the softer side of Malic in this. Definitely looking forward to continuing on with this series.
Honey
This story would have been a 4 or even 5 star read if Malic hadn't held out for so long, if only because the reason wasn't credible. Malic kept pushing Dylan away because he was too young? It just wasn't believable for me. We all knew from page 1 what Dylan was to Malic and so would have Malic if he'd taken 2 seconds to sit down and think about why he felt that way about Dylan, why he wasn't willing to hurt him, etc and that the only way that could be so was that Dylan was his hearth. (view spoi...more
Dre
Read originally 12/6/11: I absolutely LOVE Dylan! He was funny and so adorable, and so tenacious, and so perfect for Mal. I love that even though he seemed so young and so small compared to Mal, he was not afraid of him like most other people, and I am glad that he kept pushing until he got what he wanted. Can't wait for their next story!

Re-read 1/11/14 for the MM Romance Group's Re-Romancing the Favorites Challenge. I still love this book, and Dylan is still the most adorable and funny twink e...more
Krista (One Love) (Critical)
One of her "misses." Malic is ridiculous and unlikable and spends more time cuddling with the supposed enemy than with his love interest, who he treats like crap until the last chapter. It barely feels like a romance, considering Dylan isn't even in the book that much. There is no plot. It's just a bunch of random things happening to Malic, as if I cared. I was relieved when it ended.

Dylan. Who the heck IS he, anyway? No, really. We know next to nothing about him, and he's as flat as paper. Com...more
Holly
Tooth and Nail, the second installment of Mary Calmes Warder Series, was a very great book. It was mostly centered around the two characters Nineteen-year-old Dylan Shaw and Malic Sunden. Unlike the last book where you had the friend, the talks about work and then the actual fighting scene and relationship. In this one you get some plot at the front, when Malic is fighting, then in comes Dylan the way to young for him hot “boy” and its mostly just them for the rest of the book. One thing I reall...more
Mouse
This book was somewhat better than His Hearth if only because the POV was Malic’s. Because of that, we’re introduced to the paranormal world right away. Which helps it to feel less tacked on. It does not, however, improve the lack of worldbuilding.

The plot is kind of all over the place. I would describe it as: stuff happens to Malic. Because after I finished reading, they’re all disconnected events. None of them get sewn up. None of them get solved. It was… I don’t know, confusing?

I did like Dyl...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*

I really enjoyed this one. I loved how Malic was grumpy and growly while Dylan was full of energy and bossy. It was great seeing Dylan so determined and how he wouldn't stop until he got what he wanted which is to be Malic's hearth.

I was left with a few unanswered questions (view spoiler) but besides that, this was an awesome book and I can't wait to re...more
Amandine Chalard
Avec ce livre, j'ai envie de lire. Encore et encore.
Si on perd l'envie, un jour (je ne sais pas, ça peut arriver !) et bien il faut absolument lire ce livre. C'est un petit livre qui m'a pris personnellement juste quelques heures à lire.
J'ai adoré les personnages. L'histoire est simple. Ce n'est pas de l'aventure, ni de l'action, mais une percutante attirance entre un homme qui ne croit pas au bonheur et un autre qui y croit trop !!
Non vraiment, ils se complètent tellement c'est magnifique. Et...more
Cute, quick read.
Leaundra
Charming
Aug 25, 2011 Charming rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Mary Calmes
I enjoy Mary Calmes' writing, and this was reasonably fun and exciting, as expected. I was warned by the reviews that Malic is an idiot, and he really, really is, but I decided to consider it a side effect of him not having his hearth yet, and that worked pretty well for me.
Mandi
I really do enjoy Mary Calmes' writing! I fell in love with Malic and Dylan (especially Dylan...such a cute, pushy little bottom!). The paranormal and demon fighting aspect was well-written and exciting. Here's hoping there's another 'hearth' book in the future. :)

Sarina
Now we're getting somewhere! Book two in the Warder series jumps into the paranormal pool feet first and I'm really glad for that fact. This book deals with Malik, a warder we briefly meet in book one when he is, as per his usual, being an asshole. His story, however, shows other sides to the man and you can see why he's a dick so much of the time. Except to Dylan. Well, mostly; there's only so much a man can take when he's trying to keep someone he thinks is way too young for him out of his pan...more
Amanda
Just adorable. I loved Malic & Dylan.
Sara Gatto
Secondo capitolo della saga "I guerrieri degli abissi". Fino ad ora è quello più divertente che io abbia mai letto.
I personaggi sono molto definiti nei loro ruoli, ovvero, si capisce subito chi è attivo e chi è passivo a letto, ma la cosa divertente è che Dylan, il passivo, ha una forza d'animo davvero incredibile.
Lotta in ogni modo per raggiungere il cuore del tenebroso Malic e lo fa con mezzi leciti ed illeciti, cercando di legarlo a se in ogni modo possibile che gli venga in mente perché si è...more
  • Creature Feature
  • Alliance In Blood (Partnership in Blood, #1)
  • He Completes Me (Home #2)
  • Litha's Constant Whim (Green's Hill, #1)
  • Heartsong (Fae, #2)
  • Three Fates
  • When the Dead Speak (Southern Spirits, #2)
  • Midsummer Curse (Midsummer, #2)
  • Hell Hath No Fury (The City, #1)
  • Paul's Dream
  • Draconian Measures (Gaven, #3)
  • The Darkling Thrush
  • Hide Out (Private Dicks, #2)
  • Mind F*cked (Faerily Imperfect, #1)
Mary Calmes lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with her husband and two children and loves all the seasons except summer. She graduated from the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California, with a bachelor's degree in English literature. Due to the fact that it is English lit and not English grammar, do not ask her to point out a clause for you, as it will so not happen. She loves writing, becomi...more
More about Mary Calmes...
Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1) A Matter of Time (A Matter of Time #1) Timing (Timing, #1) Frog A Matter of Time (A Matter of Time #2)