Start by marking “Tooth & Nail (Warder #2)” as Want to Read:
Tooth & Nail (Warder #2)

Tooth & Nail (Warders #2)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,995 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
Nineteen-year-old Dylan Shaw is possibly the most beautiful thing Malic Sunden has ever seen. After Malic rescues Dylan from an attack, Dylan makes it very clear that he is more than interested, but Malic won't even consider sleeping with Dylan because of his age. Malic is sure he's not good enough for Dylan, who has his whole life ahead of him, and can't conceive of burde ...more
Published November 24th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published November 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Tooth & Nail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tooth & Nail

Emma Sea
Jul 24, 2012 Emma Sea rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I've been re-reading Mary Calmes books for a couple of weeks now. I wish there was another writer who achieved that level of scrumptious saccharine thinly veiled with a chiffon plot. The end of Tooth & Nail is basically a thousand locations of:

"Dylan," I groaned.
"Malic," he sighed. "I wanna be yours."

That's SM levels of sap BUT I LOVE IT SO MUCH.

Amy Lane
Nov 23, 2010 Amy Lane rated it it was amazing
Oh, this was fun! I love the fallen badass, the pushy younger lover, the guy who won't take care of himself unless he's doing it for someone else... all of my favorite plot elements in one fun, kick ass paranormal. My only complaint is that it was too short--but then, that's what my kids say about a stay in an amusement park, and that's what this felt like. Sheer sexy, butt-kickin' fun:-)
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This was so much better than the first one. Lots of danger and near-death, lots of worry by friends, lots of sexual tension and ohhhh sweet hot sex. The age difference didn't even bother me. The twink is pushy and angelic at the same time. I loved him. Loved this book. Beware, though, major instalove.
Tame
Oct 17, 2010 Tame rated it it was amazing
JUST PURCHASED IT!! I couldn't wait :D

I just love Mary Calmes' works---Just. Love. Her. This was a book that moved so fast, the sex scenes so hat, the action scenes so intense, I re-read it again before I even realized what I was doing :)

Just buy it---read it for yourself. You'll agree. . .and be hungering for the next installment!!
Wax
Aug 27, 2014 Wax rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites from this series. Malic and Dylan just go together. As soon as Dylan looks up at the man who saves him from being roughed up, even though he's drunk, he knows he's met the man who he's meant to be with. It just takes Malic longer to come to that conclusion.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jun 19, 2015 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Oh, I loved this. It was so very Mary and I couldn't read it fast enough! I love Dylan! So very good.
Wren
Nov 30, 2010 Wren rated it it was amazing
I totally enjoyed this. Malic was terrific - the big bad tough guy that everyone is afraid of (except for the people who aren't). Dylan was adorable - the twink who knows what he wants and isn't afraid to go after it. The dynamic between them was entertaining, as Malic is very attracted to Dylan but doesn't want to hurt him (which he could if Dylan isn't his 'hearth'). Dylan just keeps holding on (figuratively) and befuddles Malic because he's so adorable and he should be afraid of the big warde ...more
Melanie~~
Jan 03, 2012 Melanie~~ rated it liked it
I'm not sure if this series is for me. I felt like the action and elements of the story were a little haphazard. I remember feeling similarly about the first book of the series. I felt pinged around during the first two-thirds of the book. I believe that I already own one more book in this series, though I don't believe that it is #3 of the series. So I may give the series one--or possibly two since I don't think I can read #4 without reading #3 first--more shot at keeping my interest in the arc ...more
Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
One of her "misses." Malic is ridiculous and unlikable and spends more time cuddling with the supposed enemy than with his love interest, who he treats like crap until the last chapter. It barely feels like a romance, considering Dylan isn't even in the book that much. There is no plot. It's just a bunch of random things happening to Malic, as if I cared. I was relieved when it ended.

Dylan. Who the heck IS he, anyway? No, really. We know next to nothing about him, and he's as flat as paper. Com
Trisha Harrington
3.5 stars.

Really enjoyed it, but I didn't love it and the first one was slightly better in my opinion. Hence the 3.5 this time. But I really loved Dylan and it was nice to see the softer side of Malic in this. Definitely looking forward to continuing on with this series.
Leaundra
Dec 02, 2010 Leaundra rated it really liked it
Maya
Nov 24, 2010 Maya rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiodick
I enjoyed this much more than His Hearth. Both MC's were engaging but Dylan in particular was a force to be reckoned with. I really enjoyed it.

Reread 02/08/12
Janna
Tooth & Nail is book #2 in the Warder series. It's not necessary to read the first book in this series - His Hearth - but it'll give you a better comprehension of the world building and some of the other characters in this second book (especially Ryan and Julian from book #1 who reappear in this book).

*This review may contain spoilers for His Hearth.*

The leading man of Tooth & Nail , Malic, already played a very small part in the previous book His Hearth . Now he's the narrator of his
Caroline Brand
REVIEWED FOR PRISM BOOK ALLIANCE

Story 4 Stars
Narration 3 Stars

Malic is a warder, a big badass grumpy warder who has no intention of falling in love, the very thought of it brings him out in hives. He has watched his friend Ryan, our leading man in book one, fall in love and find his hearth but he has zero interest in doing the same. He also has no idea how destructive his behaviour can often be or that his friends, the rest of the warders he fights alongside, care for him deeply.

Dylan Shaw is ni
Morgan  Skye
Apr 20, 2014 Morgan Skye rated it really liked it
We met Malic in book one, the once lover to Ryan Dean. He’s big, scary, cold and distant. He also seems to constantly be doing things that put his life in danger, making his other warders worry about him.

One night he rescues the very, very young Dylan from an almost rape and Dylan immediately latches on to Malic as his hero and wants to be with him in all the ways that count.

Malic doesn’t want to hurt the young man with the anime eyes so he ditches him over and over. Finally, it takes another br
Beth
Oct 16, 2014 Beth rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m-romance
Uhhhh...I really liked the first book and I was actually excited for this series but after this one I don't know if I will continue. I didn't care for Malic from the first book and I think if his book would have come later and we could have learned more about him as a secondary character like loyalty or fear from bad relationships or losing someone (some explanation for the gruff exterior) that I could have enjoyed him but he was such an ass in this book with seemingly no reason. The scene with ...more
Trix
Oct 23, 2010 Trix rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-novels, paranormal
I really liked the story. I by-passed the first novel, as some of the readers didn't give good reviews and the plot didn't seem all that interesting.

But I wanted to read this. The summary made it look good. [spoiler ahead]I was a bit thrown off by some of the creature names used in the book, though, they were later on explained. As always, I was charmed by Malic's character and the witty, funny and caustic way in which he regarded not only the world, his friends but also himself. I loved the ban
Serena Yates
Oct 17, 2010 Serena Yates rated it liked it
Shelves: gay
This is another nice story in the Warder universe. The second volume reveals a little more of the background and the paranormal world these people deal with. While the threat is quite dark and some of the fights are brutal, I found myself really drawn into the whole setup. Putting the pieces of the puzzle together is something I always enjoy, and this 'world' was no different.

Malic is an idiot who needs to be shaken to wake up and realize what life is all about. I understood that he was just afr
Nerine Petros
Nov 28, 2010 Nerine Petros rated it really liked it
Lexi Ander
Nov 24, 2010 Lexi Ander rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-fantasy, favorites
Malic, hard, mean, scary Malic meets an angel in the form of Dylan getting beat up in the bathroom stall of the club. Young, gorgeous, angel Dylan who looks at Malic and sees the man. "you saved me. You have to keep me now that you saved me."

In His Hearth, we were introduces to the world of the warders and it was good. I like this second installment much better. we already know the rules which leave more room for plot and character development. Malic is the only warder who doesn't have a hearth
Brenda Maldonado
Nov 27, 2010 Brenda Maldonado rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of strong/silent heroes, fans of cute "pushy" bottoms, fans of traditional paranormal romance

This was a very satisfying read. Dylan is one of those characters that I absolutely love just from the description. An angel indeed! Malic is the stereotypical strong and silent type. He is determined to save the world on his own and determined to save Dylan from the perils of life with a Warder. So very noble and extremely frustrating.

Tooth & Nail is a traditional paranormal. This is the book's main strength and its chief weakness. At times, I felt like I could replace Dylan with a
Ana
Apr 07, 2014 Ana rated it liked it
Honey
Feb 15, 2011 Honey rated it liked it
This story would have been a 4 or even 5 star read if Malic hadn't held out for so long, if only because the reason wasn't credible. Malic kept pushing Dylan away because he was too young? It just wasn't believable for me. We all knew from page 1 what Dylan was to Malic and so would have Malic if he'd taken 2 seconds to sit down and think about why he felt that way about Dylan, why he wasn't willing to hurt him, etc and that the only way that could be so was that Dylan was his hearth. (view spoi ...more
Dre
Read originally 12/6/11: I absolutely LOVE Dylan! He was funny and so adorable, and so tenacious, and so perfect for Mal. I love that even though he seemed so young and so small compared to Mal, he was not afraid of him like most other people, and I am glad that he kept pushing until he got what he wanted. Can't wait for their next story!

Re-read 1/11/14 for the MM Romance Group's Re-Romancing the Favorites Challenge. I still love this book, and Dylan is still the most adorable and funny twink e
Mouse
Mar 29, 2011 Mouse rated it it was ok
This book was somewhat better than His Hearth if only because the POV was Malic’s. Because of that, we’re introduced to the paranormal world right away. Which helps it to feel less tacked on. It does not, however, improve the lack of worldbuilding.

The plot is kind of all over the place. I would describe it as: stuff happens to Malic. Because after I finished reading, they’re all disconnected events. None of them get sewn up. None of them get solved. It was… I don’t know, confusing?

I did like Dyl
Holly Full Moon Bites Book Reviews
Tooth and Nail, the second installment of Mary Calmes Warder Series, was a very great book. It was mostly centered around the two characters Nineteen-year-old Dylan Shaw and Malic Sunden. Unlike the last book where you had the friend, the talks about work and then the actual fighting scene and relationship. In this one you get some plot at the front, when Malic is fighting, then in comes Dylan the way to young for him hot “boy” and its mostly just them for the rest of the book. One thing I reall ...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Oct 17, 2010 Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* by: Tj

I really enjoyed this one. I loved how Malic was grumpy and growly while Dylan was full of energy and bossy. It was great seeing Dylan so determined and how he wouldn't stop until he got what he wanted which is to be Malic's hearth.

I was left with a few unanswered questions (view spoiler) but besides that, this was an awesome book and I can't wait to re
Charming
Aug 22, 2011 Charming rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Mary Calmes
I enjoy Mary Calmes' writing, and this was reasonably fun and exciting, as expected. I was warned by the reviews that Malic is an idiot, and he really, really is, but I decided to consider it a side effect of him not having his hearth yet, and that worked pretty well for me.
LD  Durham
Apr 21, 2014 LD Durham rated it it was ok
This book was really messy. Kind of a messed up thing to do to potentially awesome characters. I didn't know what was going on in most of it, like the author forgot we aren't actually in her head with her. I saw the great potential of this story, but it didn't come together properly for me at all.
Mandi
Nov 06, 2010 Mandi rated it really liked it
I really do enjoy Mary Calmes' writing! I fell in love with Malic and Dylan (especially Dylan...such a cute, pushy little bottom!). The paranormal and demon fighting aspect was well-written and exciting. Here's hoping there's another 'hearth' book in the future. :)

• Body Magic (Triad #2)
  • Alliance in Blood (Partnership in Blood, #1)
  • Paul's Dream (Touching Fire, #1)
  • Hell On  Wheels (The City, #3)
  • Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2)
  • Talker's Redemption (Talker, #2)
  • Heartsong (Fae, #2)
  • Three Fates
  • Draconian Measures (Gaven, #3)
  • With a Kiss
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5)
  • Edward Unconditionally (Common Powers, #3)
  • The Darkling Thrush
Mary Calmes lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with her husband and two children and loves all the seasons except summer. She graduated from the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California, with a bachelor's degree in English literature. Due to the fact that it is English lit and not English grammar, do not ask her to point out a clause for you, as it will so not happen. She loves writing, becomi ...more
More about Mary Calmes...

Warders (6 books)
  • His Hearth (Warder #1)
  • Heart in Hand (Warder #3)
  • Sinnerman (Warder #4)
  • Nexus (Warder #5)
  • Cherish Your Name (Warder, #6)