Start by marking “40” as Want to Read:

Nine months shy of hs 40th birthday, freelance music producer Tyler Harrison has started to experience horrific hallucinations. At first, he thinks it's just the stress of his job, but the hallucinations continue until they culminate at the three-day concert in Chicago, Lollapalloza, which he is covering for work. There he is approached by an older man who tells him that h ...more
Published May 4th 2011 by FaithWords (first published April 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about 40, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 40

Grace
Apr 24, 2011 Grace rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
Tyler a man tormented by demons who have taken over his mind and desire his very life. He is approached by an angel concerning his death but still holds on to the world. Will he come around and makes things right before he turns 40?

I loved the ending but didn't like the way it left me hanging.

A book of suspense, twists and turns.

This book was realistic although as a christian I felt that the bad language, excessive drinking and smoking could have been left out.

I find it hard to get into books
Diane
Apr 25, 2011 Diane rated it liked it
I won this one in a First Reads giveaway. No one can say that my book selections are not varied. I must have read the summary too quickly because I did not realize until I received it that it was a "Christian novel." It kind of sounded like it was going to be something like that Angelina Jolie movie where she's told by a prophet that she's got a week to live -- "Life or Something Like It." I am not religious. It was with thoughts of "The Shack" and some trepidation that I started on this one. Th ...more
Lara Van Hulzen
Mar 03, 2012 Lara Van Hulzen rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Reading 40 is like being in a psychedelic music video, and I mean that in a good way.

Tyler Harrison is going to die on his 40th birthday. After his father has a heart attack, Tyler reluctantly visits, only to be faced once again with the pain of his past. When he returns to his apartment in Chicago, an angel named Matthew visits and tells him he has about ten months to live.

As a music producer, Tyler is wrapped up in a world of nightclubs, famous singers and scotch. He's divorced and has no clo
Heavensent1
May 17, 2011 Heavensent1 rated it liked it
40 is a Christian spiritual fiction.

Tyler Harrison is a music producer who has just been told that he will die on his 40th birthday. He was raised as a Christian in a religiously stern house, however, he no longer practices nor believes in God.

Tyler has issues with his father, who believes his son is a failure. He has issues with work, his musicians never wish to show up for their sessions and his love life is void of life.

After seeing some terrifying hallucinations, Tyler thinks he is going cra
Candy
Oct 14, 2010 Candy rated it liked it
I have so many thoughts about this book that I really am not sure where to start. Let me first say that this is the first Travis Thrasher book I have ever read, so I cannot say that it is the best or the worst book he has ever written. It is also the first book I have ever read that is written in first person, present tense point of view. I was a little worried about that at first because I have never been able to get into a book written in that style before, but Travis managed to expertly draw ...more
Trinity Rose
Apr 26, 2011 Trinity Rose rated it really liked it
40 a novel by Travis Thrasher is a fantastic book I would have given a 5 plus rating, but for two reasons. First I don’t believe a Christian book should have any bad language at all, even through the person isn’t a Christian at the time. Sure Christians swear at times, but that doesn’t mean we have to read it in a book. I feel it is offensive and if I knew before about the swearing I wouldn’t have agreed to read it.
The other reason I won’t give this book a 5 star rating is because I would have
Brenda
Jun 08, 2011 Brenda rated it really liked it
What if you knew the exact date that you were going to die? Thats just what Tyler Harrison has revealed to him by an angel named Matthew.

Tyler Harrison is a music producer who has a few regrets in his life, but when he is visited by an angel named Matthew, who is actually his guardian angel, and his guardian angel tells him that he will die on his 40th birthday, which is about nine months away. Well as you can imagine Tyler begins to wonder if perhaps he isn't loosing his mind. When Matthew rev
Lori Watson
Apr 19, 2011 Lori Watson rated it liked it
I've been following Travis Thrasher on Facebook and Twitter ever since reading his book, Solitary (can't wait for the sequel, by the way!). He frequently has quick contests for book giveaways and I was happy to win an ARC for his latest book, 40. The premise of the book sounded interesting and the fact that I am 40 made it slightly creepy. Once the book arrived, I grabbed the first free afternoon I had available and sat down to devour it.

I soon discovered that this is not that kind of book. Whi
Melanie
Mar 22, 2011 Melanie rated it liked it
Travis Thrasher
Published by Hatchette Book Group
Source: Review Copy

Firstly if you are going to read any of Travis Thrasher’s books, prepare a time to read and absorb uninterrupted! If you aren’t careful you will be left behind on his whirlwind tours!
Tyler is 39 when an angel named Matthew appears to him and informs him that he is going to die on his 40th birthday. Tyler, turns introspective as he looks over his career as a record producer, his relationship with his parents, his achievements in
April
May 18, 2011 April rated it really liked it
40 A NOVEL by Travis Thrasher is a christian suspense.Music producer Tyler,starts to experience horrific hallucinations just shy of his fortieth birthday. He will be approached by Matthew,a man who claims to be an angel.Not knowing what to do with this information Matthew gives him,his begins to spiral out of control. He is afraid and confused.What would you do if you where told that would you die on your fortieth birthday,I wonder.Would you be like Tyler,and be afraid,angry,confused,turn from ...more
Amandaj
Apr 24, 2011 Amandaj rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
40 was an interesting book that explores questions we all tend to ask ourselves at one point or another in our lives. We all tend to flirt with things that aren't good for us just like Thrasher's character Tyler. The story was good but think that the characters personalities could have been explored a little further. The characters were realistic but somewhat generic.
The way music was incorporated into the book fueled the skeleton of Tyler's journey made the book unique. And although there were
Scott Noble
Apr 24, 2012 Scott Noble rated it liked it
It took a while to warm up to the book and even most of the way through I still found it difficult to relate. It's first person and while the narrator is very honest about who he is, he is also very unhappy and very gritty. While I wanted to root for him to make the right turns and proper decisions, it was hard to relate to him. Still, I found the story compelling, highly imaginative and though not always easy to read, it was harder to stop. In the end, the pages kept turning as I tried to divin ...more
Karen
Mar 27, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
Am behind on getting Travis books. I am wanting to read this one and several others I have not had a chance to get at yet. I like his books because they are Christian but thrilling at same time. My kind of books.

What to say for the review of this book. WOW, the further I got the more I loved it. Captured me when I had thought it would be one I could finally find fault with. All I can tell you is that this is a read I will not be getting over soon. Striking force.
Carol
Jul 24, 2012 Carol rated it it was ok
I liked the premise of this book, which promises great introspection on the prospect of hitting upper years without having lived your expectations. I also enjoy exploring the inner world of characters, but this one leaned too heavily on weighty internal experiences, often leaving the reader wondering, "What the...?" I'm not sure there was a turning point for the main character, leading to a dissatisfying ending.
Autumn
Apr 09, 2012 Autumn rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I did not really get into this book as much as I hoped. It took me close to an entire week to finish as I finished this last night.
I kept hoping it would get better but I guess it just didn't pull me in like I hoped. I will continue to read books by this author if I can. I will leave my review there.
Jeffrey
Dec 26, 2014 Jeffrey rated it liked it
My first book by Travis Thrasher. I thought I'd love the book, since I'm a drummer and love music. However, wasnt super impressed with the book. I think 99% of people would act differently, if they were visited by a Angel then Tyler did in this book.

I thought last 1/4 of book was really good till it got to the ending. Which isn't really much of a ending.
Emily
Aug 19, 2014 Emily rated it liked it
An incredibly sad story in which the main character is depressed. The end is best part, and is heart-touching. 40 is a unique look at how all of us have the same capability to do as much good as we do bad.
Sonya L Moore
Nov 23, 2015 Sonya L Moore rated it it was ok
Could not finish it. Style is too choppy. I know that it is about mortality, but could not bring myself to care about the main character.
Glenda Alexander
Mar 23, 2011 Glenda Alexander marked it as to-read
Sounds like a great read. I have been reading on FB and several other sites reviews and it sounds very intreguing. Travis Thrasher writes great book.
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2013
Brenda S Anderson
Brenda S Anderson rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2011
Leah
Leah rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Troy
Troy rated it really liked it
May 14, 2011
Cathy
Cathy rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2012
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2011
Duane Benedict
Duane Benedict rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Squeaks
Squeaks rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Inger
Inger rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Reza Kolahifar
Reza Kolahifar rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • His Other Wife
  • The Promises She Keeps
  • On Hummingbird Wings
  • The Matchmakers of Butternut Creek: A Novel
  • Kiss of Death (Kiss Trilogy, #2)
  • Darkness Follows
  • Web of Lies (Hidden Faces, #4)
  • Full Tilt (Rock Star Chronicles, #2)
  • Broken Wings
  • Remember Me When (Women of Hope #2)
  • Heather Song
  • Steal Away (Teri Blake-Addison Mystery #1)
  • The Mountains Bow Down (Raleigh Harmon Mysteries, #4)
  • A Sapphire Season
  • Paper Angels
  • The Witch Tree (Anna Denning Mystery #1)
Bestselling author Travis Thrasher has written over forty books, from love stories to supernatural thrillers. His inspirational stories have included collaborations with filmmakers, musicians, athletes and pastors. He’s also helped write memoirs and self-help books. His novelizations include Do You Believe? and God’s Not Dead 2. Among his five upcoming nonfiction collaborations in 2016 is Go Big o ...more
More about Travis Thrasher...