Start by marking “Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory (Gettysburg, #3)” as Want to Read:
Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory (Gettysburg, #3)

Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory (Gettysburg #3)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  754 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
New York Times bestselling authors Newt Gingrich and William R. Forstchen conclude their inventive trilogy with this remarkable answer to the great "what if" of the American Civil War: Could the South have indeed won?

After his great victories at Gettysburg and Union Mills, General Robert E. Lee's attempt to bring the war to a final conclusion by attacking Washington, D.C.,
Published April 1st 2010 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Never Call Retreat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Call Retreat

Victor Orozco
Apr 09, 2014 Victor Orozco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional! Many thanks to the author for such a wonderful story. Continuing from where the last novel left off. Ulysses S. Grant takes his newly formed command to face off Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. From here on in Newt Gingrich expands on what might have happened if the Confederacy had won what was originally the Union victory at Gettysburg.

After the victory on the first day of Gettysburg becoming a withdraw leading to the overwhelming victory at Union Mills. Lee's army is str
Bernie Charbonneau
Apr 15, 2015 Bernie Charbonneau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any American Civil War buff
This final installment of this fantastic alternative history telling of a period during the American Civil War was as tense as the first paragraph of the first book. This writing combo works extremely well for me. There was no let down in this third book. This series as a whole was top notch. If you are not a fan of alternative history, then these novels will not change your mind. They are quite different than the actual history of this period, but for me, that is what made this series interesti ...more
Brett Sorge
Good reading, but I don't like this alternative view of history. Somehow this bothers me knowing the facts are far different.
Jim Smith
Nov 03, 2012 Jim Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, the authors’ epic reworking of the 1863 Gettysburg Campaign is brought to an enthralling and highly believable conclusion. One of the standard criticisms of alternate history is something along the lines of ’Why bother with this stuff when there’s so much real histtory out there?’ The answer to that one is that the best alternate history reads like it really could have happened that way. The protagonists’ choices are those that were open to their real-life selves. This book certain ...more
Geoffrey Hazelton
An excellent read! This is a fictional account of the last battle of the Civil War. But is full of true to life detail and a believable depiction of both Grant and Lee. This is a page turner so be prepared to stick to it. This is the third book of a trilogy so now I will go back to read the first two: Gettysburg and Grant Comes East. These are also fictional novels.
Ted
Jan 24, 2014 Ted rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must say that like the other two in this series it is completely believable an very entertaining. I was given the middle book in the series, Grant Comes East. Once I started it I had to get on Amazon and get the other two. At some point I will pick up more of Newt's historical fiction. My only disappointment is the death of so many that really survived. Guess that is countered by those who now lived in his revision.
Rick
Nov 14, 2014 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good conclusion to the alternate timeline based on the fact that Lee was not defeated at Gettysburg and had succeeded at Union Mills.
The book was an intriguing look at the way things could have unfolded had such an event happened.
Michael
Jan 19, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january-19-2016
Third book in alternative history genre series following GETTYSBURG and GRANT COMES EAST.
One of the most exciting and well-written and plausible that I've ever read. Highly recommended as a series and individual title.
George Nap
Popcorn, light reading and fun, not much substance.
Jim
Jun 16, 2008 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third and last book in the fictional Civil War trilogy. Grant finally moves his newly-formed army to go after Lee. He has planned his strategy well, even though there are those who thought to undermine his plans. Lincoln finally removes all political obstacles and the final battles get underway.

This book is all action and impossible to put down. Will Grant defeat Lee and end the war...or will Lee win...or will the war go on and on.

Sit back and enjoy.

I loved all three books and look foreward
Anthony
Dec 20, 2012 Anthony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: civil-war, fantasy
A review by Anthony T. Riggio of Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory
I read all three in this series of "Alternative History" and found the first two fascinating reading and all three were page turners. The last, however left me with more issues that I could not resolve. The end result was as expected. Lee surrenders. I could accept all of the alternative presentations and battles but I could not accept George Armstrong Custer being killed in a battle. What will happen at the "L
Ross
Dec 07, 2011 Ross rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little disappointed that in changing history at Gettysburg, the authors saw fit to end the Civil War pretty much exactly the way it did in our history books. What's the point in "what-if"ing a watershed moment like Gettysburg if it has no discernable impact on the events that followed? Also disappointed that they chose to leave us hanging regarding the rest of Lincoln's presidency, particularly the question of whether he survived it or not. Now THAT would have been some alternate history!
BJ Rose
Mar 15, 2009 BJ Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this heart-rending conclusion to their alternative-history Civil War trilogy, the authors show the political intrigue and actions that create the environment in which commanders and soldiers must fight a war, and which helps decide which army will be victorious.

In reading this trilogy, I often found myself googling names & battles to see whether what I was reading was factual, semi-factual, or completely fictional - and in the process, got an excellent history lesson.
Joe Davoust
Written like a Civil War history book, it's a bit confusing especially if you know some of the real facts. This is revisionist history and while I've read many books in this genre, this one was so close to what really happened, it made me wonder why bother. I would have enjoyed a narrative of real Civil War events, even a novelized version, much more than this.
But it does get stars for being well written and, though a bit confusing, still entertaining.
John
Jan 20, 2016 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong conclusion to this fun hypothetical serious. However, it's suffers in that many new characters are brought in, and old characters are left aside. becomes a simple mouthpiece for the authors views, while Grant remains a likable, compelling character.
Justin
Aug 11, 2012 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fitting conclusion to a stellar trilogy. The only gripe I have is that, knowing Gingrich was "co-author", you knew the ending. As a politician with eyes on the presidency, there was no way he would be associated with any written work that had the Confederacy winning the Civil War. But overall, a great series and a great trilogy.
Adam West
Dec 28, 2010 Adam West rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please see my review for Gettysburg, by the same authors. This was the third and finally book in a trilogy that began with the aforementioned book.

I thought this book offered a sobering reality check about the Civil War and how it would have ended if Lee had won the Battle of Gettysburg.
J.T. Kalnay
Aug 09, 2012 J.T. Kalnay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the trilogy that started with Gettysburgh. The author really gets into the heads of Lee and Grant and the other major figures about which we've read so much. They are in different places doing the same thing with the same resources. Really interesting alternative history.
Matt Duval
Sep 22, 2010 Matt Duval rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect ending to the trilogy that started with the Confederacy's victory at Gettysburg. I wondered how they would have the Civil War end, and the ending was not only believable, but the writing made it that much more dramatic.
CV Rick
Oct 18, 2009 CV Rick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mainstream, history
I don't have much more to add other than my boredom with the cliches of valorous soldier and altruistic commander. It grew tiring to read a book written by fans of Robert E Lee who think he was perfect and could do no wrong.
Margaret
Mar 07, 2009 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good ss the first 2 in the series - far more military strategy detail. Ending was a version of the real war end, though earlier and at a different location. So not as "altered" as the first 2 books.
Dan
Sep 18, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dan by: read earlier ones
I enjoyed this continuation of these writers fictional accounts of what might have happened if Lee had not charged on the third day of Gettysburg.

They give a good picture of what Civil War battles were like.
Vicki
Aug 08, 2013 Vicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK. NOW I know it is an alternate history NOVEL, third in a series. It was so long, I wish I would have know; I just wanted to know more about the real war. I got very confused.....

Burt
Mar 21, 2009 Burt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third and final book of the trilogy. An okay ending, but from a military perspective, the plausibility is all but lost. Still, in all, it was an enjoyable conclusion to the series.
Paul
Oct 31, 2008 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first of this GREAT civil war sci-fi type book show all sorts of historical societies and how they would operate if they exisited at the same time.
Len Dyer
Jun 27, 2013 Len Dyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoyable to the end. solidified that given similar situations the end of the war would have similar outcomes
Cindy
This was fun to listen to. The reader was so great you almost forgot who was going to win the war.
Katy
Sep 06, 2013 Katy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hubby-book
This is actually one of my husband's books, but I'll probably try to read it at some point, too.
Brian
Aug 22, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

These Newt Gingrich alternative histories make for a good read.
Leonard
Lee attacks Washington. Interesting read. Not as good as Getysburg.
  • The Glorious Cause
  • 1862
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • Look Away (U.S. Civil War, #1)
  • Shrouds of Glory: From Atlanta to Nashville: The Last Great Campaign of the Civil War
  • Southern Storm: Sherman's March to the Sea
  • Fox on the Rhine
  • Play for a Kingdom
  • Look Away!: A History of the Confederate States of America
  • Honor's Kingdom (Abel Jones, #4)
  • Lee
  • Grant and Sherman: The Friendship That Won the Civil War
  • The Man with the Iron Heart
Newton Leroy "Newt" Gingrich (born Newton Leroy McPherson) is an American politician who served as the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives from 1995 to 1999. In 1995, Time magazine selected him as the Person of the Year for his role in leading the Republican Revolution in the House, ending 40 years of the Democratic Party being in the majority. During his tenure as Speaker, he re ...more
More about Newt Gingrich...

Gettysburg (3 books)
  • Gettysburg (Gettysburg, #1)
  • Grant Comes East (Gettysburg, #2)