Start by marking “Home for the Holidays” as Want to Read:
Home for the Holidays

Home for the Holidays

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  2,393 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Left to handle the rumors other family's bankruptcy and impending eviction, Larissa Ascots wishes for a merry Christmas seem to be in peril for the first time in her sheltered life. A charming would-be "benefactor,"Vincent Everett, the Baron of Windsmoor, has offered to shelter Larissa and her young brother. But more than Yuletide spirit seems to have inspired the baron's ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Home for the Holidays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home for the Holidays

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
This was an interesting and enjoyable read. Vincent is an intriguing hero who thinks he feels nothing, but clearly has never gotten over his childhood of emotional neglect. He does some pretty bad things because he is exacting revenge for his brother's suicide. However, he does have a turnaround and truly does repent as his love for Larissa changes his heart and melts the layer of ice that encloses the little-used member. It's a very good Christmas read that captures the elements of A Christmas ...more
Gemma
The hero was unlikeable. The "seduce your enemy's daughter/sister/fiance for revenge" theme has been done to death. It's a hard sell, since it makes the hero into a villian. The heroine was so naive I started to wonder if she had a mental problem. TSTL, as many romance readers call it.

I also found historical mistakes in this book. There is mention made of the colonies, so this book must be set in the 1700's, before the American revolution. Yet there is mention of Christmas trees, which didn't be
Trudy Miner
Following rumors of her father's death, Larrisa Ascot was stunned when she and her brother were also evicted from their home by Vincent Everett, Baron of Windsmoor who bought the mortgage to their house in his attempt to seek vengeance on her father for causing the "death" of Vincent's only brother. However, when he lays eyes on Larrisa, he's so taken by her beauty that he moves them into his home in order to seduce her. Raised by cold, indifferent parents, Vincent didn't know what to make of La ...more
Maria
I thought this flat, insipid, and a bit pointless. Larissa isn't very interesting at all, Lord whatever-his-name-is is a pretty detestable character, who suddenly becomes obsessed with a pretty face. I read it because I was too bored to do anything else. I'm actually glad I bothered. Now I know that I don't immediately like every book just because he and she 'fall in love' at the end. No. I can actually exercise JUDGEMENT within this genre! Fantastic!
Marie
Bintang 3.

Saat mereka bertemu, saling tertarik, berkah ataukah kutukan ketika takdir pertemuan merekmelibatkan balas dendam?

Vincent Everett, Baron of Windsmoor, pria yg kesepian, tanpa keluarga dan sahabat, terikat balas dendam pada George Ascot yg menurutnya menjadi penyebab kegagalan dan juga kematian adiknya, Albert walau adiknya itu tidak memiliki ikatan emosi yg kuat dengan dirinya (Vincent bahkan menaruh rasa iri karena adiknya itu lebih disayangi oleh orangtua mereka). Saat Ascot tertahan
Tonileg
Historical English romance with a holiday theme that pulls at your heart strings because Larissa Ascot is seriously sweet and wholesome. She can't even hate the guy that is ruining her family and then takes her virginity, she still thinks that he is going to do the right thing by her and her family. She is really naive, but really loveable. I wish she was my sister!
She finds out that she lost her house and has to move out in the next day while simultaneously worrying about her very sick younger
Hannah
Review originally published on my blog: Snuggle Up and Read (http://nurseatkins.blogspot.com/2010/...)

I read this book for my Christmas Challenge. I received it in a goodreads swap. I just picked it out because it sounded good. It was my first book of Johanna Lindsey.

The book would be what they call historical romance. It was set in the 1800s, and I enjoyed the time period. I found some of the historical stuff to be probably not accurate, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. I also enjoyed the idea o
Kari
It has been a long time since I read a Johanna Lindsay novel. I used to read them secretly in my senior year in high school as a secret indulgence. I know I used to think that she was really racy, but this one was pretty mild. Vincent Everett is bent on revenge against a man who he thinks caused his brother to kill himself. He evicts the man's family and upon seeing the daughter, Larissa, he decides to give them a place in his home and seduce her. At this point, Vincent wasn't scoring high marks ...more
Donna
This was a real stinker. I listened to the audiobook version, and the narrator didn't do any favors for the peculiar story. The idea is that due to a lack of attention from his parents during his formative years, our 'hero' has decided to eschew emotion and become a living robot. At least that's what we're told. Throughout the book, he is driven by emotion (some love and kindness, but mostly creepy stalkerishness) to either ruin or marry the daughter of his arch nemesis. There were times when it ...more
Amanda
This is a lovely read for the holiday season. Grab a cup of coffee and snuggle up with this historical romance.

Vincent Everett, the Baron of Windsmoor, is bent on revenge against Ascot, the man he thinks caused his brother to commit suicide. After evicting the man's family and, after he gets a good look at Larissa Ascot, invite her and her brother to stay in his home. Naturally, being a vengeful rake, he decides to seduce the naive Larissa.

Larissa is sweet and does not have many options. Her fa
Judy
Home for the Holidays by Johanna Lindsey
Vincent Everett, Baron Everett of Windsmoor, was out for vengeance for his brother. George Ascot had ruined him and brought him to his death. Vincent was slowly ruining the man. He knew Ascot was out to sea when he had the eviction papers delivered, what he did not know about was Larissa Ascot. A perfect plan came to mind the moment he set his golden eyes on her. But plans don't always go the way we think, do they?

Larissa was devastated at the loss of the
Amy
just I really enjoyed the short little story center rob christmas. It was very short and very sweet. It was a little short on plot, but it had enough to keep you interested. I really enjoy reading these short adorable stories because they're easy reads at always have an ending that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Especially around the holidays.
Pam Masters
Mahareni Maldini
80% kayaknya hampir narasi semua. Isi buku didominasi jalan pikiran dua tokoh utamanya, conversation-nya dikit banget. Sedang ceritanya sendiri so so saja.

Btw, kenapa gak pake ukuran font normal siiiiih? Kalo hurufnya gak gedong-gedong kek gajah kan bukunya bisa lebih tipis, hemat kertas, and yang utama...harga bukunya bisa lebih murah.

Edit :

Eeeehh...uneg-unegnya ada yang ketinggalan nih. Soal lukisan La Nymph yang konon bikin pria yang melihatnya bisa gila kalo tidak segera 'begituan'. Masa luk
April
Quick, short Christmas-themed historical romance by Johanna Lindsey using the revenge trope, where the hero seeks to wreak revenge on someone, and the heroine becomes an unwitting victim of that revenge —and of course, the hero eventually falls in love with the heroine, and it turns out there was a mistake anyway, and there was no need for revenge at all. Not too different from the Ebenezer Scrooge story either, without all the ghosts, of course. Just the hero and heroine getting together.

Sorry,
Cindy
Christmas Regency romance with sex.

When I was in high school I had an English teacher who used to write TRITE in red pen & big letters on my papers (I wasn't an imaginative writer!). That's what I'd like to do with this book. It's a cookie cutter novel that JL has written over & over.

Vincent isn't a likable male lead. He's boring & heartless which is a bad combination. His bloodless attempt at revenge incites a yawn rather than any interest. It's hard to imagine him passionate at a
Francesca
Ugh. I like a good trashy romance as much as the next person, but this really felt like it had been slapped together in an afternoon and published purely based on the author's track-record.
Laurel
Interesting story but horrible characters. Missing were what about the heroine made the hero change and what about the hero attracted her. He was despicable, and she was an idiot.
Kathy G.
This was a love story set during the Christmas holiday. Larissa is left with her ten year old brother, alone in their home while their father is "missing" at sea. He is a merchant who has gone on a buying trip to different ports and is extremely delayed in coming home. In the meantime, Lord Everett is seeking revenge on Larissa's father for the ruination and death of his brother. Lord Everett evicts Larissa and her brother out of their home, but he immediately is attracted to Larissa and decides ...more
Fanny Roswita Ria
My 1st book of 2015

Sebenarnya ceritanya seru tapi terlalu byk narasi yg membosankan

2 bintang
Julie
what a let down love all the other mallory series but this was just ridiculous
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
I liked the two main characters though I was a bit baffled by his motives for being such a jerk. It wasn't til almost the end that I realized he was getting revenge for his brotehrs apparent suicide. Up til that point I thought it was an old family rivalry which would have made more sense. It really is a lame excuse to torture a family with a sick child.
I also didn't buy that her father would have been so willing to forgive the jerk who tried to ruin him and deflowered his daughter. The fact t
LJ
Out of season, but I always enjoy a good aristocratic tale!
Michelle
Mel
Just finished this book and was so disappointed. I've read many Johanna Lindsey books that were great but this one fell very short. The only reason I didn't give it a one start was because of the Christmas theme, I'm a sucker for Christmas books. I feel as if Lindsey just threw this book together, the characters were under written and the story line was quite boring. I'm hoping Lindsay will write another Christmas book because she really and usually is a great author.
Magpie67
Stunning romance set back in the English ton! 5 star read every time I pick up a title by Johanna Lindsey! Vincent is a cad but it took a strong woman, Larissa to make him realize that love is sweeter than revenge. Larissa shows Vincent how to feel and what it means to have a family especially around the holidays. Three cheers for the story I wish didn't have to end. I'm such a sucker for historical romance!
Emily Karn
Oct 23, 2014 Emily Karn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance lovers
A sweet holiday love story.
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
Vincent seemed like a respectable brother and loving to the point to seek revenge for a wrong committed upon a brother. While on his quest for vengeance he really has to evaluate if it is worth the price he will pay to obtain this vengeance. Facts are there not mater how you look at them but if one does not take the time to verify them it could leave a nasty taste in ones mouth.
Jamie4
I'm sorry, but I just can't wrap my brain how the rating for this book could be so high.
The characters vary from uninteresting to flatly unlikable, the plot is absurd, and nonsense plot device with the Christmas tree was a flimsy at best.
The worst part is that with a bit of rewriting and some stronger characters, I honestly believe this might have made a very interesting story.
  • Mountain Laurel
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • The Heart of Christmas (Includes: Carhart #0.5, Tallants #3.5)
  • The Passion (Notorious, #2)
  • Undone
  • A Historical Christmas Present
  • Once Upon a Christmas (Nobody, #2)
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • Beyond Seduction (Bastion Club, #6)
  • The Wedding Game (Matchmaker Duncan Sisters, #3)
  • A Visit From Sir Nicholas (Effingtons, #9)
  • One Candlelit Christmas (The MacLerie Clan #4.5) (Wellingfords #2.5)
  • Deceived
  • When Angels Fall
  • The Viscount in Her Bedroom (Willow Pond, #3)
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom
More about Johanna Lindsey...
Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3) Prisoner of My Desire Love Only Once (Malory-Anderson Family, #1) Tender Rebel (Malory-Anderson Family, #2) The Magic of You (Malory-Anderson Family, #4)