Start by marking “Terribly Twisted Tales” as Want to Read:
Terribly Twisted Tales

Terribly Twisted Tales

eighteen stories that offer a new twist on old fairy tales

From Hansel and Gretel and Goldilocks, to Snow White, Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, and more, here are eighteen stories that take familiar fairy tales and twist them around to give them an entirely new slant. Any fan of far-out fantasy is sure to be delighted.
Published May 5th 2009 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published February 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Terribly Twisted Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terribly Twisted Tales

Lisa
May 23, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patty
This is where I like Good Reads better than Shelfari. On Good Reads, two stars are "It was okay." and that is exactly where I am with this book. The same two stars on Shelfari say I didn't like it. Short story collections are often a mixed bag with some great stories and then some not so great.

I liked the concept for this book - take a familiar tale and give it a slant that is unexpected. I would say that all 18 stories do this well. I just found some of the directions the authors chose to not f
Renae
Apr 29, 2012 Renae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave the overall book a 4 star rating because the premise for the book was outstanding and the authors did a great job in re-writing a bit of history to fit into many different genres from fantasy to horror to just a mixture of both and more. Terribly Twisted Tales, the title says it all. If you liked fairy tales when you were younger, then you'll love the twist put on those fairy tales by some really awesome authors. As this is a short story collection, I do have my favorites and those are as ...more
Joshua Hair
Dec 08, 2016 Joshua Hair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this collection. Admittedly, I am a sucker for fairy tales, both re-imagined and original. I won't spend a tremendous amount of time on this review but I will say that I wholeheartedly disagree with those who say the tales in Terribly Twisted did not satisfy the criteria. As a whole, I'd say they were quite successful and, moreso, extremely entertaining. This was my second Martin Greenberg collection in a row and I don't intend to stop any time soon. As a lover of fairy tales and fables ...more
Our Library Mornington
Eighteen familiar fairy tales are re-imagined in this collection of short stories.

Do you like the idea of the three bears recruiting Golda Lockes to help run their moonshine still? Have you ever wondered what the tale of Hansel & Gretel would be like from the witch’s point of view? Ever wanted to know what Snow White would be like without the happy ending?

If so, then you will find these stories a real treat.
LibraryDanielle
May 04, 2014 LibraryDanielle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
some of these stories were fantastic (Capricious Animistic Tempter) and some were fun, but mediocre (waifs) and some I disliked (rapunzel strikes back). the ones I disliked the most were the shorts that turned a fairy tale into a modern story. not a modern fairy tale, just a story. like the Rapunzel one. it had so little to do with a fairy tale if it hadn't been for the "let down your..." bit it wouldn't have had any relation.
Debbie
Overall, this was a solid collection of stories based (sometimes very loosely) on fairy tales and folktales. There were of course some that I did not enjoy as much as the rest, but there were no clear misses for me. I think my favorite stories were "Once They Were Seven" by Chris Pierson, "Three Wishes" by Kelly Swails, and "Capricious Animistic Tempter" by Mickey Zucker Reichert.
Craig Leimkuehler
This is a collection of eighteen stories told by writers of below average ability. Oh, granted a few rose to the level of mediocre but for the most part writing is a hobby for them, not a profession. If you have trouble sleeping this will help to put you asleep.
Amy
Dec 01, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish reading it all the way. I only got through a few of the stories because I was just reading it to get some information for a class, but what I read I liked and I plan on reading the rest of it when I have time.
Lori
Jul 18, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book of fairy tales with a twist. Some were dark, most were humorous, but all were altogether entertaining. My favs among them: "A Charming Murder," "My Great, Great- Grandma Golda Locks," and "The Hundred Year Nap."
Molly
Sep 24, 2011 Molly rated it it was amazing
This was original. I really enjoyed it!
Marie
Sep 19, 2015 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
snow white, red riding hood and others like you never read them before
Natalie
Oct 11, 2014 Natalie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
didn't even finish it, it was that bad.
Jim Galford
amusing well-written alternative fairy tales. some set in modern times, some emphasizing lesser characters, all with a twist.
Cissa
Oct 16, 2009 Cissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty entertaining collection of stories here, with quality that ranged from decent to very good.
Sheila
Sheila rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Kelly
Nov 16, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Danni
Danni rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Carlotta
Carlotta rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2014
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2014
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
May 24, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2010
Erin-Joi
Erin-Joi rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Irania aburto
Irania aburto rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2017
Gabe
Gabe rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2011
Danny Richardson
Danny Richardson rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2010
Becki Basley
Becki Basley rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • We See a Different Frontier: A Postcolonial Speculative Fiction Anthology
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • The Fair Folk
  • Quicksilver & Shadow: Collected Early Stories, Vol. 2: Contempory, Dark Fantasy, and Science Fiction Stories.
  • Returning My Sister's Face and Other Far Eastern Tales of Whimsy and Malice
  • Irresistible Forces
  • Witches' Brew
  • The Ammonite Violin & Others
  • Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...