A Play of Knaves

A Play of Knaves (Joliffe The Player #3)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In the pages of Margaret Frazer's national bestselling Dame Frevisse series, the player Joliffe has assumed many roles on stage, to the delight of those he entertains. Now, in the company of a troupe of traveling performers, he finds himself cast in the role of sleuth... In the spring of 1435, Joliffe and his fellow players are sent to the village of Ashewell not only to s...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Berkley

Julie
This is a very appealing series to me, and I think much of that has to do with the lives of itinerant players. Neither fish nor fowl, they are at the edges of society and their lives are both difficult and fascinating. The mysteries in these books are often nearly afterthoughts, but I'm okay with that.
Judith
Margaret Frazer's books (pen name) of medieval mystery are entertaining, light reading, and give the reader what seems to be a close to true picture of life in those times, both for the common folk and for the landed gentry. Very fun reads.
Jill Holmes
It is the spring of 1435, just after Easter week, when the player Joliffe and his fellow actors go on the road at the behest of their Patroness, Lady Lovell, to the village of Ashewell in White Horse Vale beneath the chalky hoofs of the White Horse of Uffington. The ancient horse and its hillfort cast a mystical presence over all the villages in the Vale, but Ashewell has caught the attention of a Prioress friend of Lady Lovell who suspects the village's three leading families are no longer pass...more
Bitsy
The book A Play of Knaves is one of a series of historical mysteries that follow the player Joliffe as he ends up in a variety of situations that require some serious sleuthing to stay out of trouble.

While it is not difficult to follow and enjoy the mystery of A Play of Knaves without having read the rest of the series, some of the introspection of the main character seemed misplaced because I had not read earlier works and had not yet formed a connection of any sort with Joliffe. I still felt l...more
Kathy Davie
Third in the Joliffe medieval mystery series revolving around a group of players who roam the English countryside in the early 1400s.

My Take
Beautifully crafted mystery which I can really appreciate after watching all those CSIs! We've come to expect that DNA and fingerprint matches along with cellphones and computers are necessary to solve crimes that it's almost more difficult to understand how they were ever solved before this.

I love Frazer's depiction of life in medieval England and the un...more
Mary Munroe
Another satisfying tale from Margaret Frazer. This one is about .the slow demise of villeinage in medieval England. Change always comes with conflict and this tale is filled with jealousy,greed, villainy, and murder. An interesting stew with pre-Shakespearean drama thrown in to add another dimension.
Catherine  Mustread
This mystery, set in the 1400s, started strong, but ended flatly. Not much suspense, seemed to take too long to get to the mystery which then went on longer than necessary. I was disappointed as it started out so well. I do like the characters, the time period, and the historical details Frazer includes.

Found out after I was half way through that this is #3 in theJoliffe seriesand I had thought it was #2, will now read #2, A Play of Dux Moraud next....more
Gayle
This is the third book in a series by Margaret Frazer about the player Joliffe, who solves murders in medieval England. I read this book back-to-back with the second book, A Play of Dux Moraud. I still like the series, but have the same reservations.

Still good characterizations, milieu, plot. Still lots of crazy people. But I still read the next one.

Kim
If you like Ellis Peters' Cadfael mysteries, you will probably like these as well. Set in medieval times, this series stars traveling players, one of whom has an investigative turn of mind. Highly recommended if you like mysteries set in historical settings.

Margaret Frazer is another favorite author of mine.
Renee Bush
The Joliffe mysteries are every bit as enjoyable as The Dame Frevisse, but the nun gets the hardcover. huh!
Love Gil, the new player, and have found he does get more developed as the series goes on.
The titles are intriguing, and very apt.
Nancy
Joliffe and his troupe of medieval traveling players visit a village near an ancient chalk cliff horse and become immersed in local feuds and murders.
Becky
I like getting to know Joliffe better in this series. I always liked him when he showed up in the Frevisse books.
Mary Ellen
This book was fun to read but it wasn't something that I couldn't wait to get back to each day.
Janics
Another good book by Ms. Fraser with a good representation of history of the time.
Lisa
Frazer is back in stride in this third entry in the Joliffe series. A good read.
Mary
I love this series.
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Apr 05, 2014
Bill
Bill is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Hand of Justice (Matthew Bartholomew, #10)
  • Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)
  • Our Lady Of Darkness (Sister Fidelma, #10)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
Margaret Frazer is a pen name used at first by Mary Monica Pulver Kuhfeld and Gail Lynn Frazer writing in tandem for a series of historical medieval mysteries featuring Dame Frevisse. After the sixth novel, the works are written by Gail Frazer alone, and the name has subsequently been used exclusively by her. A second series of novels by Ms Frazer set in the same time and place feature the player/...more
More about Margaret Frazer...
The Novice's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #1) The Servant's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #2) A Play of Isaac (Joliffe The Player Mystery, #1) The Bishop's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #4) The Sempster's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #15)

“Joliffe knew their audience was with them when Christ declared at the money-changers, "You knaves! You thieves and rascals! Defaming the Lord God's honor as you do! Making his house into a den of thieves and taking what is not yours to take, like shepherds never shearing but butchering every sheep!" and among the lookers-on heads turned and some people pointed at Father Hewgo standing at his church door, glaring, his arms tightly folded aross his chest, well apart from it all but making sure his disapproval lowered over everything. Joliffe had not written the lines at him but might as well have because his parishioners surely saw a match; there was even scattered laughter that would do nothing to soften him toward the players.” 2 likes