Start by marking “Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8)” as Want to Read:
Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8)

Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple #8)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  652 ratings  ·  48 reviews
In the summer of 1923, the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple makes what should an uneventful research trip to the Museum of Natural History with her nephew Derek and her soon-to-be step-daughter Belinda in tow. But as she interviews the various curators for her article on the museums of London, she soon discovers that the Museum of Natural History is a hothouse of professional ri...more
Published June 2000 by St. Martin's Minotaur (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Rattle His Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rattle His Bones

Jules Jones
Eighth in the Daisy Dalrymple series about a young aristocrat who writes for a living and has a bad habit of stumbling into murder mysteries. In this one Daisy is researching an article at the Natural History Museum when one of the curators is murdered. The reader knows from the start of the novel that someone has managed to switch the Museum's collection of gemstones for high quality paste replicas, but this theft is still unnoticed at the time of the murder. Are the two connected, and how long...more
Hilary Tesh
Let's start by pointing out that the blurb on the back of the UK version is inaccurate. This is another Daisy D romp, this one set in the Natural History Museum, involving jewel theft and murder and a rather indistinguishable cast of academics, all obsessed by their particular branch of study, plus a disinherited cartoon grand duke. The plan of the layout of the Museum might help you work out who might have gone where but I never quite managed it. I found the whole story rather muddled, but hey...more
Lori McD
Probably my least favorite book so far in the series... the book has a promising beginning and all the right elements. But somehow and somewhere along the way, it ceased to be interesting to me. It's not all the "techie" stuff of bones and minerals and fossils - I read tons of historical fiction with a lot more detail and techie stuff than this.

No, this story just didn't hold my interest. There were too many people to keep track of and an obvious comic relief. The end where the culprit is expos...more
Olga Godim
Some people say it’s the worst in the series, while others consider it one of the best. Personally, I liked this book. I think it’s a fair representative of the series.
The plot centers around a murder in the London Natural History Museum, although Daisy, for once, is on the periphery of the investigation. Consequently, her character might not be as fleshed out in this novel as it is in some other novels of the series, so this is probably not the best book to start the series. But the author intr...more
Esme
Rattle His Bones ist der achte Roman mit Honourable Daisy Dalrymple. Es ist August 1923. Da hat Daisy ein ereignisreiches halbes Jahr erlebt. Inzwischen ist sie auch mit Chief Inspector Alec Fletcher von Scotland Yard verlobt. Bisweilen macht sie sich Sorgen darüber, wie sich wohl ihr Einmischen in seine Mordfälle auf ihre Beziehung auswirkt. Es ist schwierig, eine inoffizielle Ermittlungsperson immer wieder über Leichen stolpern und es nicht allzu konstruiert wirken zu lassen. In diesem Fall is...more
Karen
This book was new-to-me. It wasn't bad, but I'm still not remembering why I thought I liked the Daisy Dalrymple series so much.

The book starts off from the guilty party's perspective, and we even get to see him committing part of the crime. From there, the story unfolds VERY slowly. It ends with convenient fog and a bit of a silly chase. And the denouement was a denouement.

Judy Tate
Daisy seems more on the edge of this crime, but she stumbles into the identity of the killer just as Alec finds out from a retired guard. In the middle of the adventure, Alec's daughter Belinda calls and begs Daisy to help her convince her grandmother to keep Belinda's puppy. Daisy comes to the rescue and gives the grandmother a graceful way to back down. This improves Daisy's relationship with both.
Ann
I normally enjoy the antics of Daisy Dalrymple and her books, but this one is a little tedious to get through. She has become engaged to Police Inspector Fletcher and is writing an article at the Natural History. There she meets a wild variety of people including a dispossessed Grand Duke of Transcarpathia. When the curator of mineralogy is murdered, Daisy is right there and finds the body. She assists the police in looking into the murder and looking for some valuable jewels that have also disa...more
Wealhtheow
Daisy Dalrymple has eschewed the languorous life she was born to in favor of journalism. While writing an article on the Natural History Museum she witnesses a murder, embroiling her in yet another police investigation. As ever, her fiance, the Detective Inspector Alec Fletcher, does much of the leg work while Daisy delicately extracts information from everyone around her. Together, they manage to uncover the murderer. The mystery is not the exciting, to be honest, but I love the slice of life i...more
Duckpondwithoutducks
Yet another mystery book that I read out of order! I read all of the ones that my library had in order, but they didn't have this one. I recently found it at a used bookstore, and was happy to do so! The Honourable Daisy Dalrymple, living in post WWI London, stumbles over another dead body, this time in a museum of natural history. Her fiance, Detective Inspector Fletcher of Scotland Yard, is not thrilled, but what can he do? Daisy just has this propensity for finding dead bodies. And if she did...more
Alan Leach
Carola Dunn,s Daisy Dalrymple Series of crime books based in the 1920's make for a nice relaxing read you could let your Granny read
Gail
Another entry into the charming post WWI London series featuring the Honourable Daisy Dalyrymple. This time, she's writing a story on the Museum of Natural History and the dinosaur displays. She discovers that beneath the hushed and scholarly museum interiors lives a hotbed of academically driven jealousies and tempers. There's greed, a displaced monarch, and a mystery that spans the classes.

This one didn't hold my interest as well as the others but I think I'm distracted by life. It ends with a...more
Adele
The eighth murder Daisy has been involved in and while the 1920s lingo doesn't get old, Daisy's ability to stumble over a body did get a little bit dull at times in this book. I still enjoyed it but I found I wasn't as drawn into the story as I normally am. However, I will continue with the series - especially as from here on Daisy and Alex will be married and I look forward to seeing how Dunn will develop their relationship. If you want a murder that doesn't baffle the brain too much, I would r...more
Nancy Wilson
While I love the ones set in the huge old "country houses" the bet--this was a nice story--I didn't figure out the killer until fairly late on--and the soon to be MIL surfaces finally!
Gloria
This was a very simple mystery, but I enjoyed it. It is set in the British Natural History Museum, and carefully explores the relationships between the different curators and museum staff. I found this interesting, because it touches upon rivalries between related scholarly fields and the big egos common in academia. Really, the book could quite easily have been set in a university department and had a similar flavor (though there wouldn't be an excuse for jewel theft!).
Susan
Daisy Dalrymple is doing a magazine story on London's Natural History Museum. Her bemused fiance, Scotland Yard chief inspector Alec Fletcher, is not surprised when a crime wave hits. First a body is discovered--by Daisy, naturally--and then she's present when a long-planned jewelry heist is revealed. Alec is gradually closing in on the culprit when Daisy puts a few pieces of information together with her usual elan and also discovers the criminal.
Joy
Oct 14, 2010 Joy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy by: CrimeThruTime
1923. Researching articles about London's Natural History Museum, Daisy makes friends among the staff among the bones and gems of the Geology and Minerology departments. When one of them is found dead, there is any number of motives for the death. I really enjoyed having the museum brought to life for me, and the infighting was highly entertaining.
Mary Newcomb
Daisy is writing an article involving the National History Museum, then there is a murder (of a most disagreeable staff member) and then the jewels are found to be fakes. In delightful fashion she helps to figure things out. Even Alec's boss realizes that her "help" might be more limited if they could figure out a time to get married...

Caroline
I'm really enjoying the Daisy Dalrymple series! Although I am sometimes confused by the English slang of the twenties, I'm pretty sure I can look up the words somewhere on the web. I finished this one in two days and am now on to # 9 (To Davy Jones Below). Need to go on Amazon and order the rest of the series!!
Kathleen
I am pressing on with the Daisy Dalrymple series with this eighth book. The details of the British museum system, complete with the rivalry and politics among the departments, captured my attention. My head was swimming with the characters, most of whom I mixed up and few with whom I connected.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
A great mystery with a jewel heist added to the mix. I found some of the suspects hard to keep track of (there are more than a few) but overall a very easy reading book. I love reading about Daisy and Alec, and I have to say this is probably one of my favourites in the series.
Stevie Carroll
Possibly my favourite in the series so far, although there was one slight hint that the plot had been revised from the original outline and one small detail hadn't been fixed in the new version. Still a most fun caper, though with some adorable domestic details too.
Jill
Too many characters/suspects to keep track of and care about.
Judith
Not sure how I missed this entry in the Daisy Dalrymple series, but I'm glad I found it. I have enjoyed every book in this series and this one did not disappoint. I enjoy the characters, the setting and the mystery.
Kathy Moberg
Another fun Daisy mystery. They are great for light reading, and I enjoy the 1920's England flavor as well as the continuing storyline. This one takes place in the Natural History Museum -- an interesting location.
Babs
May 12, 2009 Babs rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries
Recommended to Babs by: Ati
Shelves: mysteries
This was a lovely read. I think this is one of the better books in the series so far. I am looking forward to reading the next book and seeing Alec and Daisy married and what other troubles Daisy gets into.
Joanna
Although a bit confusing with all the many characters overall a good read. Alec and Daisy should be marrying soon but I have not read these in order so I really don't know when the wedding is taking place.
Rosalyn
I've enjoyed all the books in the series, but this one was particularly enjoyable--it was set in the Natural History Museum in London, which I love, and the mystery itself was unusual and kept me guessing.
Katie
There were too many characters with similar characteristics which made it difficult to remember who was who. Hard to follow the plot with no central area for character descriptions.
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh, #7)
  • Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1)
  • Sick of Shadows (An Edwardian Murder Mystery #3)
  • Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
Carola Dunn is the author of more than 30 Regency romances, as well as 16 mysteries (the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series is set in England in the 1920s). Ms. Dunn was born and grew up in England, where she got a B.A. in Russian and French from Manchester University. She travelled as far as Fiji before returning to settle in California. After 30 years in the US, she says she still sounds as if she a...more
More about Carola Dunn...
Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1) The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2) Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3) Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4) Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)