Start by marking “Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child” as Want to Read:
Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child
Preview

Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  27 reviews
An exciting contribution to the growing trend of applying Buddhist practices to encourage wellness and balance mental health. Reconciliation focuses on mindful awareness of our emotions and offers concrete practices to restore damaged relationships through meditations and exercises to help acknowledge and transform the hurt that many of us may have experienced as children. ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Parallax Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Reconciliation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reconciliation

Siddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama XIVZen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiWhen Things Fall Apart by Pema ChödrönThe Heart of the Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh
A Buddhist Reading List
428th out of 551 books — 719 voters
The Keeper by O.L. RamosThe Keeper by O.L. RamosThe Keeper by O.L. RamosThe Keeper by O.L. RamosFrom the Abyss II by John Emil Augustine
Love for my Authors
11th out of 88 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Korinna
This is a short book, but it took me about two weeks to read it because I wanted to take it in and absorb it slowly. Even if you don't identify as someone who likes self-help books (like I don't) or you aren't a buddhist (as I am not) this book is incredibly helpful and powerful. As someone who had, comparatively, experienced a good childhood, and since worked with at-risk youth and lived and traveled in poor countries, I felt at first like I shouldn't be reading this book- that I had already de ...more
Clay Templeton
This text by Hanh didn't speak to me as profoundly as True Love did, but that's likely because it reads to me as a more advanced text, that expects the reader to engage in several practices and mantras. As someone who has never attended a Buddhist society meeting of any kind, and only practices alone, I find it nearly impossible to participate in the ways recommended by "Reconciliation"

I look forward to reading another one of his books to further my insight into Mindful Breathing (Peace is in Ev
Heather Finlayson
I read this one cover to cover twice and often pick it up for inspiration. I'm sure I've said of other titles, if you only read one dharma book, let it be this...this is in my top five. It's a powerful combination of buddhist thought mixed with western psychology. Supremely healing.
Tim Weakley
An exploration of healing the inner child from the Buddhist point of view. It made for a good read, if a very quick one. The book is made up of transcripts of dharma talks given by Hanh over a 10 year period. The downside can be that this makes for a little bit of a disjointed flow, but the ideas in the chapters are well worth thinking over.
Jacqueline H
Good content; excellent even. However, I cannot handle the writing style. It's very redundant. I feel like the book could be half the length if it refrained from saying the same thing 12 different ways in one paragraph.
Jeni Andrews
Such an insightful way to approach your innermost tragedies in life. I really liked how Thich Nhat Hanh explains how you are connected to your ancestor's suffering and that unless that suffering is resolved, you will pass it down to your children. He talks about how to experience anger and sadness in a productive way and to teach yourself mindfulness and compassion towards yourself and others. You cannot go out and heal the world if you do not heal yourself first.

I definitely recommend this book
Danielle Dorchak
A practical guide for healing, and restoring wholeness. A book to come back to, over and over. Life-changing. Thank you Thich Nhat Hanh.
A.H. Haar
In the other books of Thich Nhat Hanh (at least those that I've read-Being Peach, Touching Peace, True Love) he speaks of what to do when our mindfulness is weak; Meditate on the beautiful things, even if only for a few minutes. For those few minutes spent breathing and appreciating the strength and stature of a tree, or the beauty of a flower, are a few minutes you strengthened the seeds of peacefulness and mindfulness while not watering the seeds of anger, fear, or despair. The idea is that on ...more
Christy
Sweet and beautiful book that will be cherished by anyone that struggles with wounds from the past or anyone feeling lost and out of touch with themselves and the world. We cannot be connected to the world until we are connected with ourselves...it's true. Thay writes with such a gentle and loving voice...the reader cannot help feeling safe and held in every single word. This is a book that I will return to over and over again...
Marie Rose
I don't have much to say about this book. But that's not because I don't like it. I do. A lot. It's because I come back to this book over and over again, and every time I do, I take something new from it. Because it's never the same for me twice in a row, I don't imagine two people would ever experience it in the same way. So I don't have much to say, other than, experience it! Read this book. More than once, at different times in your life. You'll be glad you did. I feel so fortunate to be born ...more
Ginni Dickinson
A deeply compassionate book. Thich Nhat Hanh suggests that it is through understanding the roots of our own suffering that we can be healed and move forward to enjoy the present moment. Also, a major component of our own healing is to understand that all beings suffer. If we view the challenging people in our lives as beings who also suffer we can develop compassion and forgiveness. It is through this forgiveness that deep healing of ourselves can occur. I will be reading this book again and aga ...more
Maggie
This book on mindfulness is very interesting and helpful. It isn't as "new agie" as the title suggests, or maybe it is and I'm just more new agie than I thought. It's about being kind to yourself to acknowledging hurts and not really working through them, but being mindful of them. Okay this probably doesn't make sense, but if you are into mindfulness or are interested, this is a good book to read.
Renate
I loved reading Thich Nhat Hanhs practical spirituality. He is a true teacher that impressed with accessibility and depth. You don't have to be a full swing budhist to find useful stuff here. His views on family relations rang true to me. A book recommended to those striving to be more mindful and more compassionate.
Marcia
This is a book with a beautiful message. Hanh shares an eternal message of love and healing and compassion and clearly describes for his readers the steps needed to heal oneself as well as others. Such a great read, especially helpful if one is in need of some reconciliation...
Margaret
This was a great book and the second I've read by Thich Nhat Hanh. His way of writing brings me into the now and often fills me with joy. This book explores our ancestry and how the experiences of our grandparents and parents become a blueprint in our own lives.
Shee Tsim Nam
The principles are there, but the transformation (to practices) may not be entirely smooth. Such practices take time and suitable environment to carry out. I just gather the principle and see if the practices can be modified to my own need.
Tonja
A good book to remind us that we must forgive ourselves and face our fears/guilt. Easier said than done, of course. But I often go back to this, open a page, and start reading. And I always learn something new about myself.
Chrissy
There's probably a ton of books about reconnecting with your inner child, or healing your inner child, or anything to do with your inner child. This is the only book out there that I trust on the matter.
Kevin
An extraordinary, inner exploration of what self-limiting thoughts and feelings I have let rule my life. The exploration was difficult but a necessary step in my progression forward.
T.
This excellent book provides techniques for healing your inner child, as well as using communication and compassion to improve relationships, with both ourselves and others.
Kyle Roberts
It is an interesting collection of thoughts that I did not find a big help till I got past half way. I am sure that anyone can find something of value when reading this.
Jeff Strain
A rich and reflective read for those struggling with hidden or damaging childhoods. Thich Nhat Hahn remains my favorite Buddhist writer.
Sandy
Dec 30, 2011 Sandy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
This is a book to read and re-read and re-read. I've read other works by Thich Nhat Hanh, but this one excels all of them.
Jessica
I found myself highlighting numerous passages within this book.A great book on the importance and benefits of mindfulness.
Charles Minguez
This book has made me more aware of my parenting and has allowed me to look at my past with new eyes!
Danice
A gem about how to heal and attain peace.
Heather
Painful, but good.
Christen Eberly
Christen Eberly marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Alexandra-Iuliana Hapliuc
Alexandra-Iuliana Hapliuc is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2015
  • The Essence of Buddhism: An Introduction to Its Philosophy and Practice
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Your Best Life Now for Moms
  • Wake Up To Your Life: Discovering the Buddhist Path of Attention
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Intimacy with God: An Introduction to Centering Prayer
  • God: A Story of Revelation
  • Impact Player: Leaving a Lasting Legacy on and Off the Field
  • The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind
  • Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living
  • The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People: What Scientists Have Learned and How You Can Use It
Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh is a global spiritual leader, poet and peace activist, revered throughout the world for his powerful teachings and bestselling writings on mindfulness and peace.

His key teaching is that, through mindfulness, we can learn to live happily in the present moment—the only way to truly develop peace, both in one’s self and in the world.

Thich Nhat Hanh has published over 100 ti
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Living Buddha, Living Christ The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Being Peace

“The reality is that we are safe and we have the capacity to enjoy the wonders of life in the present moment. When we recognize that our suffering is based on images instead of current reality, then living happily in the present moment becomes possible right away.” 1 likes