Start by marking “Breakfast with the Pope” as Want to Read:
Breakfast with the Pope

Breakfast with the Pope

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A Christian Eat Pray Love Susan Vigilante, an average Catholic wife from Long Island, woke up one morning in the romantic Italian hillside near the ancient village of Castel Gandolfo and had breakfast with Pope John Paul II. How did she get here? Breakfast with the Pope is the funny, endearing, searing, and relentlessly honest story of a woman on a pilgrimage, a woman who ...more
First, 256 pages
Published November 17th 2010 by Richard Vigilante Books

To ask other readers questions about Breakfast with the Pope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakfast with the Pope

Jeff Miller
Susan Vigilante is the author of the Desperate Irish Housewife blog and a contributor to The American Spectator, National Review and the Human Life Review, etc. I recently received her book Breakfast with the Pope for review.

I have liked her writing when I had encountered it before, but I was not prepared for this book. Breakfast with the Pope is in the realm of spiritual biography and a look at her pilgrimage through life. As a lifelong Catholic she frames events through a couple of breakfast’s
Sam Schulman
An astonishing book and a glimpse, for the infidel, of what faith might feel like.
This book, alternately charming and harrowing, is a memoir of a life, a marriage, of childlessness, and of a series of trials that an extraordinarily honest and talented woman undergoes while living a life that is unremarkable in many ways, but is made extraordinary by the character of the writer and of the people who love her - some of them abundantly, but most of them, in the way that we humans have, insufficient
Mark
I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I share the opinion of many of the other reviewers here that it is an encouraging, honest, and very interesting look at Susan Vigilante's life and faith. I found (most of) it to be uplifting and inspiring. It was especially gratifying to see someone struggle with the teaching of the Catholic Church and come down on the side of the following Christ!

What disappointment I have with the book is two-fold. This first is really my fault. I read t
I think I'm probably this book's target audience: I'm also a Catholic woman who has struggled with infertility, life, and sometimes faith. The author describes herself as unbearably shy--I can relate. The book was described in its dustjacket as a spiritual memoir. I guess it is, but there were many aspects which confused me.

Ultimately infertility is important background but not the focus here. What is the focus? spiritual struggles. The author's tone, presenting her beliefs defensively and at o
Amy
About a lady, her friendships and her faith. Left a bit to be desired at the end. But, I appreciated her honesty about her life and struggle to accept God's plan for her and her family.
Bethany Fehlinger
Julie Davis
Meanwhile, at the same time we are going through all this, the whole in vitro revolution is happening. In vitro fertilization. IVF. The baby maker, the magic petri dish, the source of happy young families all over the country.

IVF.

The Big Hope.

Forbidden by the Catholic Church.

Ok, go ahead. I know you're dying to say it. So come on, gimme your best shot.

"A bunch of celibate priess have no business telling married people how to run their lives.

Whoa! You thought that up all by yourself. Well,
Dee
Loved it! Great book on the joys and sorrows of the human existence, and on top of it all, we get to have mass and breakfast with the Pope at his summer residence.

There was some controversy about Susan V. writing this book because of privacy of her friends, but I'm so glad she did. Her story gave me hope and let me know John Paul II a little better as both a man and as the successor to Peter.
Katharine Holden
The ending negates most of the assertions and insights of the preceding three-quarters of the book, and radically reverses several of the strongest characterizations, so I had a strong feeling of disappointment and even a bit of literary betrayal (is there such a phrase?) when closing the book.
Louise
I loved reading this book. The author makes you feel like you are right with her in Italy. The story is very funny and an easy read yet with much food for thought.
Margaret Mary
Interesting book, worth reading. Very unexpected ending though.
Theresa
It says it's a "A christian Eat Pray Love" Hmmm...
Kasia Paprocki
Kasia Paprocki marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014