Start by marking “Fatal Error” as Want to Read:
Fatal Error

Fatal Error (Repairman Jack #14)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,486 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews

“Repairman Jack is one of my favorite characters--I'm full of happy anticipation every time I hold a new RJ novel in my hands.”

--Charlaine Harris, creator of True Blood

The End of the World is at hand!

Munir Habib's life has become a nightmare. His tormentor has warned Munir not to report the kidnapping of his family, or else they will pay a terrible price. A friend
Published October 12th 2010 by Tor Books (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Error, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Error

Chloe
Mar 13, 2011 Chloe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I should have known better than to segue from Mario Vargas Llosa into the cheap pablum of another Repairman Jack adventure. I should have realized that it would be akin to drinking a shot of Eagle Rare, neat, with a Kool-Aid back. I should have known this and, to be fully honest, a part of me did admit to it on some deep down unconscious level. Yet that did not stop me at all. I had a new Jack book in my hands- not just any Jack but the second to last book in a series that has stretched so long ...more
Ensiform
Sep 20, 2012 Ensiform rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The penultimate Jack book. In this issue, Jack is hired by Munir, an Arab whose wife and son have been kidnapped by a sadistic lunatic who blames Munir for his sister’s 9/11 death – but the kidnapper is actually a tool of the Adversary, who needs Munir’s code to create a super cyber-virus. For the forces of the Adversary are intent on taking down the entire Internet, which will weaken the noosphere so much that the Lady will die.

This is a surprisingly weak Jack book, in my opinion. On the one ha
Mike (the Paladin)
Looks like I have a couple of books to read now as FPW's saga comes to a climax. One more Repairman Jack and the climax of the Adversary series. (A side note here, I don't care for the Adversary series nearly as much as this series.).

Here things are moving toward what seems to be the inevitable end (of the books and maybe of the world). The end of this book is a no nonsense cliffhanger. The words "Get the Next Book" should have been the last thing on the pages.

I like these books. A heads up here
Randy
Oct 16, 2010 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Repairman Jack series is nearing it's end. Only one more to go and then the updated Nightworld. In Wilson's time line, it's February of Year Zero and the final novel will be set in March. Nightworld is set in May and is The End of Civilization as We Know It.

Several plot threads run through this one, all eventually connecting.

Jack help out an Arab-American named Munir whose wife and son have been kidnapped and is being forced to jump through hoops to save them, being forced to perform things
Benjamin Thomas
This 14th book in the Repairman Jack series hurtles the action along at a breakneck pace towards its inevitable conclusion coming in the next book, The Dark at the End. As high as my hopes and expectations for this novel were, F. Paul Wilson has managed to meet and even exceed them. He has created a monumental series and this penultimate novel cements them in my all-time favorite series, all genres included.

This is not a stand-alone novel. If you have not read the preceding novels in the series,
Andrea Yargeau
Sep 04, 2011 Andrea Yargeau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this one down! So close to the end. I know I don't usually give 5 stars to books that are "to be continued" but I read this book in 24 hours. That has to be saying something. Jack gets involved with an Arab man whose family has been kidnapped and is being tortured. He thinks it is unrelated to him, but remember, there are no more coincidences in Jack's life, so of course this turns out to be related to the Septimus Order and Rasalom's ultimate plans. The Order's plan is to take o ...more
Kaje Harper
I love the Repairman Jack books, despite their darkness, because Jack is just such a great character. The next book in the series will be the last one, and I expect a lot from it. I think that coming end affected this book a bit negatively though - it seemed like a lot of the story was setting up for the climax, and it felt less like a complete narrative than most of this series. Still good though.

The situation is becoming complex - in the early books you might be able to read one in isolation,
Brian
I'll admit to being disappointed. I've been a big fan of the Repairman Jack series, but this one is less a complete book of its own, and more a bridge between the RJ series and Nightworld, and even at that, it's more a companion book to Reprisal than something which can be read independently.

The call-outs to Wilson's YA series were also a bit unwelcome, being worked into the story about as smoothly as a Family Guy flashback scene.

This one is for Wilson completists, but I'm not sure I'd recommend
Kris Calabrese
Mar 16, 2014 Kris Calabrese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the 80s, F. Paul Wilson wrote what we called 'The Adversary Cycle', which consisted of The Keep, The Tomb, The Touch, Reborn, Reprisal and ended in Nightworld. All but The Keep & The Tomb eventually went out of print. The Tomb introduced the character of Repairman Jack, who basically is a working man "fixer" who somehow stumbled into a supernatural conspiracy. As the years went by Wilson decided to not only update the other novels of the Cycle, but to write more and more Repairman Jack bo ...more
Shelly
Dec 19, 2012 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: repairman-jack
I cannot believe that I only have a few more books left in this series. The author recommends reading "The Adversary Cycle" before the next Repairman Jack book, so I think I will do that. F. Paul Wilson, so far these have been great--I hope the payoff is worth it!
Todd
Feb 18, 2015 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wilson's "Grand Unification" is in full-on go mode by now - this is NOT a book that stands on its own like the first 10 or so RJ novels did. If you haven't followed along from the beginning, and read the Adversary series to boot, you're going to be lost a lot. Some of the internet-related plot threads are a bit thin, but the stuff that's happening personally to Jack and the ones he cares about makes up for that. And the Munir storyline really highlights what I like about Jack - even though by no ...more
Lance Springer
Some of the characterization in this was pretty weak. I know that tying Gia and Vicky to the railroad tracks every novel would get sort of absurd, but their appearances (Abe also) seemed like afterthoughts and poorly integrated into the story.

I have to admit that it explains pretty handily the absence of the internet for the previously-written but later-in-the-timeline climactic book. Clever, my man, but it was a little too obvious-clever. And a little lazy.

Sorry -- just not as good as the "clas
john s conte
Oct 04, 2014 john s conte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting closer to the end

F. Paul Wilson is putting all the final pieces together for the final confrontation in the Adversary Cycle. Jack is still on the sidelines, in defense mode against Rasolom/ The One. The Lady in mortal danger of being taken out of existence for the Ally by the fall of the internet, and Jack still using his wits and guns at the things that go bump in the night. Jack, the anti hero, still trying make sense of the unexplainable is set free by the events cultivating here and
Earl
Feb 14, 2011 Earl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Fatal Error" is a welcome return to what makes the Repairman Jack books fun. Fast moving plots and action, and the promise of a big payoff. This book could have easily been another slow plod like the previous book in the series, "Ground Zero", marking time until the Wilson reaches the end of his story with "The Dark at the End" and the revised "Nightworld", but instead there's a return to the style of the earlier Repairman Jack books, with a seemingly simple job turning into big nastiness, and ...more
Mike
Apr 02, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it

As usual, a Repairman Jack novel has action, thrills and Jack kickin' some derriere. I do have a couple of conceptual issues with this one though. The first half of the book moves along nicely, although Jack is a bit slow taking the job. I would note that if you have not read the Adversary Cycle by F. Paul Wilson you need to read up to Reprisal, don't let the cover fool you, it's a wonderful novel and has some intense moments of fear. It's what a horror novel should be, not blood & guts but

Viccy
Jan 05, 2011 Viccy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
This series is hard to classify in my reading classification system; it is crime fiction because crimes take place but it is also paranormal because the plot centers around the struggle between the Ally and the Otherness for Earth. What to do? What to do? I'm sticking with paranormal.
Repairman Jack has been recruited to fight the Otherness. The Ally's previous paladin, Glaeken (now known as Veilleur), who fought for a millenium has been allowed to retire and he is aging. Veilleur wants Jack to t
Eric
Sep 12, 2011 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid entry in the Repairman Jack series. As the previous novels, it's fast-paced and fun to read, with its share of thrilling and funny moments. It also gets back (a bit) to Jack's fix-it roots with the Munir character, with the resolution neatly tying into the plot arc.

I did have a couple quibbles, though. The constant references to the YA novels got annoying. I haven't read them and I'm not going to read them, I doubt I'm the only reader who feels that way, so why bang the series ove
Felix
Mar 20, 2013 Felix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I can't believe the Repairman Jack series is about to end.
I started reading this series several years back when Borders
bookstore was still selling books. At that time, I was
just browsing books and was looking to read a horror novel
that was not written by Stephen King and happened to see a book
with the title "The Tomb". The book cover looked scary and
there was an endorsement from Stephen King and some other famous
authors. So I took a chance and bought the book and I was glad
I did.

Repairman J
Zedsdead
Fatal Error isn't a story, it's a collation document. It's sole purpose is to collect and tie up all the loose plot threads of the last thirteen books. I suspect that the next (and purportedly final) Repairman Jack volume will feel much the same. F Paul Wilson kind of painted himself into a corner when he penned the end of the saga (Reprisal, Nightworld) so long ago.

Fatal Error's flimsy plot wrapper consists of an attempt to finally destroy the Lady by taking down the internet--and hence, the n
Andrew
Feb 18, 2012 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Repairman Jack applies his customary blend of psychology and extreme violence. This is the second-to-last Jack book, plus the promised _Nightworld_ at the end. (I have read most of the Adversary books, but not the Baby Jack prequels. Enh on that.)

This one is an episode, very much in the TV sense. A major plot event goes by, but in a self-contained sort of way. Some major characters meet up, so those plot threads advance. The big bad guy is temporarily foiled but gains a huge advantage. The good
SenoraG
I am in love with Repairman Jack. If I ever got into a bind he is surely the one that I would want to help me. I am so sad that this series will be ending after the next book but I do understand. Mr. Wilson has been warning us for a long time so there is no use getting mad at him.

You can read Fatal Error as a standalone but I would not recommend it. There is so much back story that you would miss out on knowing if you started here. Yes, you can still enjoy the book but for me anyway I don't thin
John
Sep 22, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, f-paul-wilson
There isn't much to say. If you made it this far into the series you don't need me to tell you how good it is. I really like how he tied this in with Reprisal. If you haven't read Reprisal then you must before you read this one. My advice to anyone is to check out F. Paul Wilson's website and look at the Secret History of the World. It's a guide in what order you should read the books.
Aaron Sanders
I thought that this was going to be the end of the series, but evidently not. It's enjoyable, but there are a few too many inconsistencies, and the story feels contrived especially in the later books, which may be due to the attempt to incorporate multiple story lines together.
Marissa
Mar 16, 2015 Marissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're already 14 books in to Repairman Jack, you know what you're in for. Just dive in and devour it. We're hurtling towards The Dark At the End, and you know as well as I do that you just want to know how this all shakes out.
Nick
The Septimus Order and The Kickers have teamed up to unleash a devastating computer virus with the intent of taking down the entire Internet. However, the Order is using the virus as a conduit to facilitate a much bigger goal. A goal, that if met, will open the door for "The Otherness". Repairman Jack learns of this nefarious plot and in an anticlimactic turn of events really does nothing to stop it.

The series is drawing to a close and this book seemed like filler. Granted there were a few plot
Jeff J.
Jul 15, 2014 Jeff J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a lot going on in this novel but eventually the disparate plots come together, not necessarily neatly, but in acceptable fashion. The climax sets the scene for the endgame ahead.
Barb
Jul 15, 2014 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a surprise. My first Repairman Jack novel. I like the usual suspense and his character. I wasn't quite ready for the techno-internet-world coming to and end. Though I thought it was fun and maybe possible. I did order the next book!
Richard
Nov 30, 2010 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Is this the end of Repairman Jack and the world as we know it?

Will the forces of evil bring about The Change or will the forces of
I-Don't-Care prevail in maintaining the status quo.

In an Author's Note, Mr. Wilson indicates he is about through with
Jack and his quirky friends. I'm sorry. I think he could have done
a great deal more whit their stories and left out all the alien creature
stuff.

He does give us a good view of New York and its citizens who all
seem to believe they are the entire universe.
William Crosby
Apr 02, 2014 William Crosby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast plot, lots of action, good storytelling, Repairman Jack. Why do you need more?
David Marshall
We are now coming into the home straight with only one more book to go before we link back up with Nightworld. The free will vs determinism theme is really coming to the fore now and this has some interesting ideas on possible vulnerabilities to the Internet. The enjoyment throughout this narrative arc has been consistent and I confess to feeling saddened that this is the penultimate outing.

If you have read the previous books in this sequence, this is for you. Otherwise, go back and start at the
  • Graverobbers Wanted: No Experience Necessary (Andrew Mayhem #1)
  • Draculas
  • Big Wheat
  • Terminal
  • The Ascent
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
  • Oil Slick (The Destroyer, #16)
  • Yesterday's Hero (Arthur Wallace, #2)
  • Ghost of a Dream (Ghost Finders, #3)
  • Skullcrack City
  • Murder on the Down Low
  • Trolley No. 1852
  • Primeval (Event Group Thriller #5)
  • Riot Act (Charlie Fox Thriller, #2)
  • Whispers in the Dark
  • Countdown (Joe Ledger #0.5)
  • Deep Sky (Travis Chase, #3)
  • Knife Music
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...

Repairman Jack (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) (Repairman Jack, #1)
  • Legacies  (Repairman Jack, #2)
  • Conspiracies (Repairman Jack, #3)
  • All the Rage (Repairman Jack, #4)
  • Hosts (Repairman Jack, #5)
  • The Haunted Air (Repairman Jack, #6)
  • Gateways (Repairman Jack, #7)
  • Crisscross (Repairman Jack, #8)
  • Infernal (Repairman Jack, #9)
  • Harbingers (Repairman Jack, #10)