Start by marking “Mamalita” as Want to Read:
Mamalita

Mamalita

This gripping memoir details an ordinary American womanOCOs quest to adopt a baby girl from Guatemala in the face of overwhelming adversity. At only 32 years old, Jessica OOCODwyer experiences early menopause, seemingly ending her chances of becoming a mother. Years later, married but childless, she comes across a photo of a two-month-old girl on a Guatemalan adoption webs ...more
Published May 14th 2014 by Not Avail (first published October 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mamalita, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mamalita

Thorn MotherIssues
Interesting that she was honest about the ways she and others paticipated in corruption when they were desperate, which is probably something unusual to read in an adoption memoir. I found the last chapter about connections with birth family absolutely moving, but was also kind of frustrated throughout that someone who didn't do her due diligence and knew very little about adoption going in was able to get a book deal out of it. Is that unfair? I don't know.
Kristen
Mar 03, 2016 Kristen rated it liked it
Mamalita, by Jessica O'Dwyer, was a very compelling story about the struggles of adoption. In this memoir, Jessica and her husband agree on adopting a little girl. Jessica feels drawn to adopt from the country of Guatemala because the babies adopted from that country usually get to their adopted families sooner than most countries. However, Guatemala turns out to be a bad decision as the couple learn about its system and its unreliable adoptions. My eyes were really opened to the struggles and l ...more
Michelle
Nov 16, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it
I appreciated the raw, authentic, honesty of the author however I did not find that I enjoyed the book as much as I hoped to. Obviously, as a memoir Jessica O'Dwyer is sharing her experience and portraying that experience of a Guatemalan-US adoption as she lived it. I, therefore do not find fault in the actual story.

Perhaps, it was because I read this book as a woman who has considered adoption and wanted to know more about it. I knew there was corruption, and obviously we cannot expect to find
Louise
May 13, 2014 Louise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs
MY REVIEW:
Seal Press|October 19, 2010|Trade Paperback|ISBN: 978-1-58005-334-1
Jessica O'Dwyer is the adoptive mother of two children born in Guatemala, Olivia and, Mateo.
Jessica and her doctor husband went to hell and back trying to get their daughter out of Guatemala. It wasn't the most pleasant experience of their lives. Dealing with corrupt people, knowing who to trust and who not to trust was one of their biggest hurdles. From lost documentation to cover-ups it didn't seem as though this coup
Rosa Folgar
Aug 19, 2013 Rosa Folgar rated it really liked it
I'm still not sure how I feel about this book. It is the first book I've ever read about my country and its heartbreaking depiction of the maya indigenous and the poor remind me why. I think it is a good story and I admire the author for tenacity and her honesty, but at the same time, I found it judge mental and I resent her.

As I read the last pages and get to the end, I see the picture of Olivia and she looks just like my sister. Our parents were there for the civil war and we were some of thos
Jamie
Feb 28, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it
This is a seriously great and unique book. If you are interested in adoption, international travel, or Latin American culture, this will be a book to enjoy. Mamalita offered unique insight into the increasingly controversial practice of international adoption. The author is exceedingly brave in being extremely open about her adoption experience. She wasn't afraid to air some unflattering information about herself.

If you love the complicated and fascinating country of Guatemala, you will also lo
Gil Michelini
Dec 27, 2010 Gil Michelini rated it really liked it
This is a story that show just how far we will go for our children. Jessica does a great job pulling the reader into her time living in Guatemala to bring her daughter home. As a fellow adopter of a daughter of Guatemala, I was especially interested in her descriptions of what goes on behind the reception desks in a Guatemalan adoption.

If you are looking for a feel-good, quick-read, possible tear-jerker at the end this is a book for you. If you are considering international adoption from any cou
Kim G
Sep 13, 2012 Kim G rated it liked it
I rarely purchase books, but since I could not find this book to borrow I broke down and bought it. I read it in about 3-4 days, which is very quick for me. As I read it I kept feeling like she was telling my own Guatemalan adoption story, only her's occured 4 years earlier. In some ways I had wish this book had been published before we decided to adopt. I wonder if we would of done things differently. On the other hand had we not experienced what we did in Guatemala would I ever think to read t ...more
Brandon O'Neill
Sep 30, 2016 Brandon O'Neill rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this fast read about an international adoption between the U.S. and Guatemala in several places that I have been to. The corruption aspect of adoption in Guatemala is disturbing since it relates to some of the most vulnerable people on Earth. Having to deal with it for the greater good is also disturbing. No clear answers here - people do what they have to do to get their child home. I don't know if it is good that the system is different now. Does changing the players in adoption mea ...more
Mindy
Feb 06, 2012 Mindy rated it really liked it
I couldn't put this one down - I would still have really enjoyed this one even if we weren't adopting...

You really get a sense of Guatemala, the pains of adopting (from anywhere), the emotional roller coaster. I was really frustrated that she went into it so blindly... emotion definitely overshadowed ethics (and common sense!). But she was really candid about the dark side of everything, including herself.
Karen
Jan 04, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
As the mom of a daughter adopted in Guatemala this was a MUST read. Jessica describes all of the emotions so well that I felt but had somehow forgotten....kind of like a mom who gave birth and forgot the pain. Reading about her visits to the offices in Guatemala where all the paperwork went was very eye-opening.
Ilie Ruby
Jul 28, 2011 Ilie Ruby rated it it was amazing
Fabulous memoir detailing a harrowing but ultimately heartwarming journey through the labyrinth of international adoption, specifically in Guatemala. Pacing was just exquisite. A well-told story very much worth reading.
Caitlin
Jun 05, 2012 Caitlin rated it liked it
A fast-paced and heartfelt read. I could've done with more interrogation into the complexities of international and trans racial adoption, particularly given the heinous corruption described in the book.
Heather
Jul 31, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
I read this book as quickly as humanly possible while also being responsible for 3 kids. It was an easy, but incredible, read. I'm not sure it is for everyone, but as an adoptive mom of a Guatemalan child, I loved it!
Alison
Jul 13, 2014 Alison rated it really liked it
“I love books on adoption for some reason and this one really was interesting to me as it took place in the country where I grew up and a lot of it in my town. About a North American couples hardship with the adoption process.
Patricia Davis
Nov 18, 2010 Patricia Davis rated it really liked it
See our review the December 2010 issue of HS radio e- magazine (Coming out December 10, 2010) at www.harlotssauce.com
Michelle Rowley
Sep 08, 2011 Michelle Rowley rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Terri Stover
Aug 18, 2012 Terri Stover rated it it was amazing
Cannot say enough good things about this book and this incredible mother.
Lavelle
Dec 19, 2010 Lavelle rated it liked it
A friend gave me this book because she knows the author. Enjoyable and certainly an eye-opener to the world of international adoptions and the turmoil that can be part of that world.
Erin Siegal
Jan 06, 2011 Erin Siegal rated it it was ok
Shelves: already-read
Wow. Lots to say about this one.... can't say I'm satisfied with the way this author portrays corruption in Guatemalan-US adoption.
Amanda Birdwell
Jan 10, 2011 Amanda Birdwell rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking and realistic. Really, a good, good good story, plus one that made me think a lot differently about parenthood.
jenni
jenni rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2011
Julie Robinson lawrence
Julie Robinson lawrence rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Paula
Paula rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2012
Jill Dobbe
Jill Dobbe rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2014
Jenobrush
Jenobrush rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2010
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Lillian
Lillian rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jessica O'Dwyer is the adoptive mother to two children born in Guatemala. Her essays have been published in the San Francisco Chronicle Magazine, Adoptive Families, and the West Marin Review. She lives in Northern California."
More about Jessica O'Dwyer...