Start by marking “Seaborn (Seaborn Trilogy #2)” as Want to Read:
Seaborn (Seaborn Trilogy #2)

Seaborn (Seaborn Trilogy #2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"From the first page of Seaborn, you are immersed. Chris Howard navigates a wild ride through a brilliantly edgy and richly atmospheric alter-world. Here is a fresh, formidable spin on fantasy, and Howard is a talent to watch out for. Seaborn will leave you spellbound."
—Adele Griffin, author of where I want to be

"Dark and atmospheric, Seaborn is an imaginative new entry
Published September 1st 2010 by Lykeion Books (first published June 13th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Seaborn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seaborn

Seaborn is a unique fantasy; it's unlike anything else I've read. Chris Howard tells a compelling story of merpeople and of two women who struggle to become their own woman (or mermaid) in the face of opposition.

Our heroines are Corina Lairsey, a California girl who becomes possessed by a megalomaniacal merman while scuba-diving; and Lady Kassandra, an exiled princess of the Seaborn who is hatching a plan to overthrow her usurping grandfather. Howard does a great job with Corina's plight, vividl
Shaun Duke
Seaborn has taught me a valuable lesson: never underestimate Juno Books. For some reason I had assumed that Juno Books was a publisher of romance novels with a genre twist, but the reality is that Juno Books is not that much different from any other publisher of fantasy, except that they publish novels with strong female leads. And Seaborn certainly has a cast of strong female leads.

Seaborn follows Kassandra, the granddaughter of the current King of the Seaborn and the Wreath-wearer, a person of
It's strange, and sometimes really horrible and I'm happy I don't understand everything in some descriptions (english not being my mothertongue). It's like the sea , giving and taking, beautiful and horrible.
I really like this book and am loving the series.
Karen Field
These days it’s not often that I find a book that is unique. Often, when I read I think this reminds me of … another story, but that thought never crossed my mind once whilst reading Seaborn by Chris Howard. Those other books that reminded me of something else were good stories, I enjoyed them, but the uniqueness of Seaborn makes this book stand out from the rest.

Also, it was obvious to me that the author knows his world extremely well. He should, he created it, but often authors unknowingly let
In Seaborn, Chris Howard explores a new dimension of urban fantasy. Rather than keeping to the city as the genre would imply, Howard delves into an undersea world. Seaborn weaves the tales of Kassandra, an exiled Seaborn royal desiring revenge while trying to free herself from her ancestry, Corina, a college student struggling to survive a Seaborn sorcerer’s possession, and Aleximor, the sorcerer working to possess Corina in order to enact revenge on Seaborn’s royalty. It is no surprise, then, t ...more
Haralambi Markov
Classification & Literary Class: It has been a lot easier to write reviews to books that I didn’t enjoy than to something that I seem generally in love with. Plain and simple, novels you don’t resonate with, lack that magical quality. Without it, you can pop the hood and analyze every little process effortlessly. But the story changes when you are confronted with a novel that has this quality, that is organic and whose magic you can never pinpoint or analyze. You get where I am going with th ...more
This book goes a step in the right direction by focusing more on the magical underwater world and less on the mundane. Kassandra is in a situation that no sane person should envy. Having limited power over the ocean sounds great right. Well the catch is that you have to wear a crown sorry I mean wreath that has the bonus of having the previous wearers souls embedded within always ready to give advice. Well taking the crown and choosing a successor will immediately kill you and then be sent to wr ...more
Disclaimer: Definitely read Saltwater Witch by Chris Howard before you read this one; it sets up some much needed back story. I can see how reading this one first would be confusing to the point of destroying all enjoyment.

But... After reading Saltwater Witch, this book is AMAZING. The world Howard has created is complex and consistent, and his storytelling abilities are excellent. The drama and suspense build at an appropriate pace, and he throws in the best kinds of surprises (the kind you did
Fantasy Literature
Seaborn is a unique fantasy; it’s unlike anything else I’ve read. Chris Howard tells a compelling story of merpeople and of two women who struggle to become their own woman (or mermaid) in the face of opposition.

Our heroines are Corina Lairsey, a California girl who becomes possessed by a megalomaniacal merman while scuba-diving, and Lady Kassandra, an exiled princess of the Seaborn who is hatching a plan to overthrow her usurping grandfather. Howard does a great job with Corina’s plight, vividl
William Gerke
I went in expecting an urban fantasy along the lines of Rachel Caine's "Weather Warden" books and found something comparable to Mark Teppo's "Lightbreaker." "Seaborn" presents a vividly-imagined, densely-packed world of undersea magic that is deeply grounded in a gritty portrayal of Greek mythology--specifically focusing on the oceans.

Complex characters populate a world of Byzantine undersea politics fueled by power that passes from one generation to the next in ways that are unpredictable and s
Jan 20, 2011 A.M. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to A.M. by: Jaid
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
An epic contemporary fantasy with a really varied, fascinating cast. The story follows several interweaving plotlines all to do with the feuding Seaborn (mermaid) families who are in line for the throne. Kassandra, a Seaborn brought up as a human, is the granddaughter of the current evil King and plots to overthrow him. But there are many other enemies in the waters, amongst which an ancient spirit who has managed to possess the body of a human woman.

The world building is great, seamlessly blend
Let me preface this review by saying I didn't know it was book number 2 in a series, so perhaps my complaints would be invalidated by reading book number 1.

With that being said, I quit reading after about chapter 5. While things are supposed to be mysterious so that you can be "led" into the book, this was just too mysterious and weird. I enjoy fantasy. This one was just not understandable. It was seriously fragmented. The plot jumped around between characters with no lead-in or explanation for
Very convoluted and confusing. Also, I would like to talk to the author about his use of descriptive dialog. Sometimes, you CAN be too poetic. It was really hard to get through this book, in fact, I only made it half way through. Call your editor, Howard, ream him/her out, because they did a horrible job guiding you on how to keep each perspective and storyline clear.

This is not going to get a full review from me, because I didn't finish it.
I had a bit of a hard time getting into this story, but I enjoyed the style and originality of the setting and I'd happily try a second book from this author.

Here's my full review.
This was a great read. It is well written and I couldn't put it down. It was dark and entrancing, deviating from the traditional paranormal fictions of vampires, weres, and shifters by placing under the sea and giving a twist to merfolk.
Jan 12, 2010 Miyu is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
it's complicated at first but then it gets easier and funner to read
Maggie is currently reading it
Oct 03, 2015
melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Gille added it
Aug 12, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Naomi marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Maria Lima
Maria Lima marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Barbara White
Barbara White marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Marlize van niekerk
Marlize van niekerk marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
  • In Great Waters
  • My Sister Sif
  • Selina Penaluna
  • Pegasus Falling (The Cypress Branches, #1)
  • The Colors of Malent (The Colors of Malent #1)
  • Merrow
  • Primary Source
  • Tidal Whispers
  • The Ascent of PJ Marshall
  • Risin' Sun (Legends of Eonia, #1)
  • Siren Call (Mermaid Catcher, #1)
  • The Spyglass Project (Secret Six, #1)
  • Siren's Call (Dark Tides #1)
  • Antara (Antara, #1)
  • Call of the Sea
  • Magic of the Loch
  • The Mere Weight of Words
  • Road Trip of the Living Dead (Amanda Feral, #2)
Chris Howard is just a creative guy with a pen and a paint brush, author of Seaborn (Juno Books, 2008), Salvage (Masque/Prime Books, 2013), Nanowhere (Lykeion, 2005), and a shelf-full of other books. His short stories have appeared in a bunch of zines, latest is "Lost Dogs and Fireplace Archeology" in Fantasy Magazine. His story "Hammers and Snails" was a Robert A. Heinlein Centennial Short Fictio ...more
More about Chris Howard...

Seaborn Trilogy (3 books)
  • Saltwater Witch (Seaborn Trilogy #1)
  • Sea Throne (Seaborn Trilogy #3)
Saltwater Witch (Saltwater Witch Comic #1) Saltwater Witch (Seaborn Trilogy #1) Sea Throne (Seaborn Trilogy #3) Saltwater Witch Graphic Novel: Chapter 2 The Complete Seaborn (Seaborn Trilogy, #1-3)