Start by marking “It Came from Del Rio” as Want to Read:
It Came from Del Rio

It Came from Del Rio

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  32 reviews
There are borders and then there are borders. Between right and wrong. Between Texas and Mexico. The first is a joke to Dodd Raines, the second a payday. Then there's the borders he's made. Between himself and his estranged daughter, the border patrol agent. Between himself and his one-time employers. And there's another border, one he cares about even less than the Rio Gr ...more
Published October 22nd 2010 by Trapdoor Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about It Came from Del Rio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Came from Del Rio

Geek Love by Katherine DunnLamb by Christopher MooreThe Contortionist's Handbook by Craig ClevengerA Dirty Job by Christopher MooreInvisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
Best Books You've Never Heard Of
143rd out of 813 books — 688 voters
Nobody Loves a Bigfoot Like a Bigfoot Babe by Simon OkillPhantom Bigfoot Strikes Again by Simon OkillPhantom Bigfoot & The Haunted House by Simon OkillPhantom Bigfoot & The Vampettes From Venus by Simon OkillCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
fantasy creature feature books
33rd out of 95 books — 194 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul
This story about a bunny-headed zombie shouldn't work, shouldn't be so moving and gritty. But it is.
Richard Thomas
( This review was originally published at at The Nervous Breakdown:
http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/rt... )

Once Stephen Graham Jones has you, once you’re invested, and want to see what’s going to happen next, that’s when he elevates his game. He’s one of those rare authors (like Brian Evenson, William Gay and Cormac McCarthy) that can write, and publish, and exist in two worlds: the land of genre fiction, with the horrific, the fantastic; and also the high towers of the academic, the language
Jesse Bullington
I don't know the last time I've been this blindsided by a book--Jones takes a decidedly pulp premise (and title, with accompanying great cover!) and delivers an absolutely heartbreaking, brilliant two act novel. The first half follows accomplished mule Dodd as he attempts to make one last border run with a mysterious cargo, but from the very beginning we know that Dodd is in too deep and we're not in for a storybook ending in the second half, where things take a radical but immensely satisfying ...more
Gordon
The cover literally screams genre fiction, but under the hood we realize that Jones is using genre conventions and plotting (zombies, chupacabras, border cops, etc.) in this tale of what might otherwise be considered lit-fic, given his sharp prose and characterizations. The "voice" he adopts for the daughter's POV in the second half is rendered perfectly and really draws you in as she pieces together her father's fate. My only disappointment (which doesn't linger in hindsight, only during), was ...more
Matthew Vaughn
Forgetting the fact that everything I’ve read from SGJ was exceptionally great, I would want to read, It Came from Del Rio for the cover alone. It reminds me of a comic book cover, one that would have come from something like DC’s Vertigo line, not from the standard super hero books. And because of this cover I expected a crazy horror, slasher novel, or something close. But I’ve read SGJ before, so why would I even think that.
We begin with the story of Dodd, a fugitive hiding out in Mexico with
Chris
I wasn't exactly sure about this one for the first 30-some pages. It wasn't bad, but I wasn't really all that into it either. Yet, I pressed on--and glad I did.

Soon enough, Jones had me totally pulled into the world he'd created, the humor, the horror, and the downright bizarre. I'll admit, I don't think that Jones is the most eloquent of wordsmiths, but he sure knows how to tell a story, keep his readers interested, and even give a few nuggets of downright brilliance to his readers.

Like so many
DeAnna Knippling
First half: Five. Knocked it out of the freaking park.

Second half: Just skip it.

The second half basically is a retread of some parts of the first half, with the major suspense points that aren't retread hanging on the second main character finding out details about the first main character.

TOO BAD WE ALREADY KNOW OR CAN GUESS THOSE DETAILS. No suspense in the second half whatsoever.

I spent the second half of the book waiting for it to get the point, at which point it ended. It wasn't awful or a
Chris Deal
I wrote a long review of this over at the Velvet, but I'll say this here: IT CAME FROM DEL RIO is one of those rare, fun reads that touches something deep inside you, that moves you even when what's going down crosses the border into the world of the absurd, but still, this book, it's fun in a way that few things can be. So, you should probably read it. I mean, who doesn't want to read a book about a zombie with a bunnyhead?
Mark
This is an amazing, genre-shattering, read. I never thought I'd read a book about a zombie and find it so beautiful, so eloquent about love and loss, and end up being moved to tears.
John
It's a weird little book. Jones' style irks me and his shifts in point of view are somewhat sloppy. But he will every now and again turn an interesting phrase or come up with an interesting image / expressive arrangement and those are worth plowing through for. Plus he writes so propulsively that it doesn't take long to finish this particular book. Before you know it you're halfway in and entertained just enough and think, "Hell, I might as well just finish." And then an hour later you're done a ...more
Paul Eckert
One thing you can say about Stephen Graham Jones – you never know what you’re going to get, but you won’t be let down. Such is the case with It Came From Del Rio. This is one book you really can’t judge by it’s cover. That cool, man-eating bunny on the cover belies the real heart of this story.

Perhaps the cover was a clever ruse, a meta-trick on the reader. Where one would expect a riveting page-turner of man versus zombie rabbits, what you actually get is the story of a connection (or the abse
Boden Steiner
This "little book" is going to sneak up and devour people in giant incisor bites. Easily one of the most cool,fun, perfectly written books I've read in a while. In a lesser writer's hands, this story could have drifted away, but with It Came from Del Rio, Stephen Graham Jones wrangles it all together, delivering a novel that blurs the line between comic book aficionado and "serious" reader. Effortlessly. In truth, this book should have both of these type of readers either high-fiving or fighting ...more
Andrea
Border town dark and brilliant, as much noir as SF as neither, just as the borderlands are never one thing or the other. I raced through this the way I haven't done in a while. Since Moorcock. Jones is a great writer, both in his language and in his eye for the curious and crazy details that make character unforgettable, both in people and places. Those are the details I've always loved and if you want eccentric details, the southwest's sure got them. Of course I love it more that this is my pla ...more
Jake Gest
A very unique novel by local Colorado author Stephen Graham Jones, It Came From Del Rio is a postmortem account of what the main character, Dodd Raines, intends to be his last job. A criminal forced to flee to Mexico with his daughter after a failed bank heist, he now earns his living transporting contraband across the border. When he gets a call and discovers his employers know too much about his daughter, he plans to finish this one last job.

Divided into two parts, the novel is narrated by bot
Pembroke Sinclair
I finally finished It Came from Del Rio by Stephen Graham Jones. Man, that seemed to take slightly longer than I had anticipated. Oh, well. It's done now.

I really enjoyed the book. It is split into two sections: Dodd's and Laurie's. Dodd's section gets a little confusing at times because it's not told in linear fashion. He skips around in time a lot. Laurie's is told chronologically, and it helped make everything clear. Well, almost everything. It is the first in a series of books.

I'm not exactl
Dave Anderson
I've heard Jones name more and more decided to start to see what the hype is and yeah, he can really write an original interesting story. This book is like nothing else I have ever read and can't wait to start reading all his other books now!
Frederick
It Came from Del Rio by Stephen Graham Jones It Came From Del Rio by Stephen Graham Jones - I have a few of Jones's books and have been looking forward to getting to them. This was my first. I'm not sure if it was quite what I expected, but either way I thought it was awesome. The story is told from two different perspectives, which I thought was really cool. I found the narration a little strange at times; it was just something I wasn't used to. It didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book though. I will certainly be looking forwar ...more
Dorie
I honestly have no idea what I just read. I enjoyed it, but about half-way through I decided that between me and the author, at least one of us was tripping. Probably not both, because then we would have understood each other.

I went into it blind, knowing nothing about the author or the story, just that it got high ratings on Goodreads and the summary sounded interesting. Wasn't prepared for the supernatural twist, but I went with it.

While I did enjoy reading it - it was written well and it held
Kristin Matte
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this book. I definitely found it interesting. I was drawn to it by the cover-art, which is a peak at the story, so if the cover scares you maybe don't read this book. I liked the way in which the story inhabits the frays of country, the frays of certain cultures, and how just absurd and odd parts of it are. I felt the mystery part of it didn't always flow, but overall it was entertaining.
FSU Alumni
Sep 25, 2014 FSU Alumni added it
Shelves: fsu-alumni
Stephen Graham Jones (Ph.D. '98)
Victoria
Not my typical read...and I probably won't continue the series, but I'm glad I read it. It's bizarre -- a crazed rabbit chupacabra seeking revenge. Yeah. Very cool. But it's primarily about a father/daughter relationship, and the lengths a dad will go to prove his love. The first half is told from the dad's POV, and the second half is from the daughter's. The author's descriptions are creative and refreshing. Give it a try.
Ellen
A marvelous hard-edged, sometimes bloody, modern western about a widowed drug smuggler forced to abandon his young daughter when he’s tripped up by something really bad that he’s pressured into carrying across the Mexican-US border. Dodd Raine’s voice and plight engaged this reader totally. How can you not pick up a novel in which the legendary chupacabra is crucial to the plot? Highly recommended
Brendan
A really engaging, very creative noir crime fantasy. I liked both narrators and found the book to be a very quick, very enjoyable read. I have to take issue with the packaging though--the cover makes this sound like a wacky romp a la A. Lee Martinez. While there are some wacky elements, it's really quite dark in tone and subject matter and not at all the zany creature feature suggested by the cover.
Nicholas Lubofsky
What an absolutely amazing book. It's a touching story about the unbreakable love between a father and a daughter… with the undead, chupacabras, and rabbits.

A riveting story — I literally could not put it down. Seriously, I couldn't not finish it this afternoon, even though I had something else I needed to do today, and now there's no time. This book is that good, yeah.
Todd Newton
I've never read a book quite like this before. The unnaturally earthy characters come across so well, just seep into you. It's poetic. People can call this horror, but it's neither gory nor particularly suspenseful; that's not what it's trying to be. It's a story about taking something and twisting it, making it unrecognizable, then loving it anyway. Five stars well-deserved.
Will
A pulp gem. Lots of fun. One of the very few qualms I had was that the first-person narrative voice is pretty much exactly the same from each of the two main characters' POV. But it's a book about a fucking chupacabra, so whatever. All in all, great ride.
Gareth Lewis
The rumors are true. It Came From Del Rio is beautiful and bonkers. It's sort of what Leonard Gardner's brutal, sparse and elegiac boxing novel Fat City would have been if it had gremlins in it.

And my, that cover.
Gregory Frye
Awesome book. here's my review (some spoilers. maybe.): http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/a-bunn...
Eric
This book is as awesome as its cover. And its cover is 100% awesomeness. Read this for all your rabbit-headed zombie chupacabra needs!
Georgina Kamsika
Great pulp-esque novel (I love the cover design) broken into a two-act literary horror-fest. Bunny-headed zombies, oh yes.
  • Warmed and Bound: A Velvet Anthology
  • Deadcore: 4 Hardcore Zombie Novellas
  • Fistful of Feet
  • Tribesmen
  • Supernatural Noir
Stephen Graham Jones is the author of eight novels and two collections. Stephen's been a Shirley Jackson Award finalist three times, a Bram Stoker Award finalist, a Black Quill Award finalist, an International Horror Guild finalist, a Colorado Book Award Finalist, a Texas Monthly Book Selection, and has won the Texas Institute of Letters Award for Fiction and the Independent Publishers Award for M ...more
More about Stephen Graham Jones...
Demon Theory Growing Up Dead in Texas The Ones That Got Away All the Beautiful Sinners The Least of My Scars