Start by marking “The Struggle for Mastery in Europe, 1848-1918 (History of Modern Europe)” as Want to Read:
The Struggle for Mastery in Europe, 1848-1918 (History of Modern Europe)

The Struggle for Mastery in Europe, 1848-1918 (Oxford History of Modern Europe)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The fall of Metternich in the revolutions which swept Europe in 1848 heralded an era of unprecedented nationalism, which culminated in the collapse of the Habsburg, Romanov, and Hohenzollern dynasties at the of the First World War. In the intervening seventy years which are the subject of this book, the boundaries of Europe changed dramatically from those established at Vi ...more
Published December 1st 1980 by Oxford University Press (first published December 4th 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Struggle for Mastery in Europe, 1848-1918, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Struggle for Mastery in Europe, 1848-1918

Kevin
A panoramic view of European history from the revolutions of 1848 to the end of the First World Power, when Europe "ceased to be the centre of the world". Though Taylor can be extremely dense, (if I had a nickel for every semi-colon...), he delves into every era with a tenacious insight that leaves you simultaneously gasping for air upon finishing and filled with a profound knowledge of the aims and motives of the great powers and their leaders alike.
I especially liked his treatment of the Crim
Lazarus
A dense but fascinating account of the intricacies of European diplomacy from the 1848 revolutions, which unhinged the system established at Vienna by Metternich, to the end of the Great War, in which, as Taylor argued, Europe ceased to be entirely the master of its own affairs, becoming a battleground between liberalism and communism. If you're looking for a good international political history of this era, it is hard to go wrong with Taylor. All of the great developments of the era are covered ...more
Cat
Sep 02, 2007 Cat rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of foreign affairs magazine.
Shelves: europeanhistory
What possessed me to purchase this book? There I was, in Bonanza Books, my favorite book store in my parent's home town. I looked at the title and thought, "Maybe I am interested in the struggle for mastery in europe (1848-1918).

I'm not at all a fan of european diplomatic history. Though the material has a certain "Wes Anderson" (filmmaker of Rushmore and Royal Tennenbaum) flavor to it. Lots of triple ententes, diplomatic notes and, my favorite phrase in the whole book- "secret diplomacy". You s
Mohammed
الكتاب يوضح دهاليز قيام التحالفات بين الدول و مدى تأثيرها مصائر الأمم فى ذلك الوقت
Sherin
It has a great effort from the Author.
Douglas
a classic diplomatic/political history of Europe from the 1848 revolutions to the US entry into WW1. the author picked that as the closing date because that was when Europe stopped dictating its own fate.

this is history from the towering heights - kings, Kaisers, prime ministers and so forth. a refreshing change of pace from the now-obligatory narrative histories.
Dave
It's hard to imagine a better one-stop-shop for all you might want to know about this period. While I like to use this as a reference for particular things, I found I could not read it cover to cover. It is so jam packed that I felt it lost any sense of narrative.
Nathan
A history of diplomatic maneouvring between the European great powers before World War 1. Rather dry, with little editorial comment. Still, good to learn things from if you're into such things. 3/5
Andy
One of the great history writers of all time writes the greatest history of all time. This book is lengthy, but Taylor is never overly pedantic. Highly recommended
Dfordoom
Political/military/diplomatic history is no longer my thing, but if you do like that sot of thing few people did it better than A. J. P. Taylor.
Tyler Ostergaard
Great read but ONLY if you enjoy complex diplomatic history. Still a breathtaking work of scholarship.
Greg D'Avis
First read this in college -- now giving it another go. I can already tell it's going to be amazing.
Robert
Sep 09, 2008 Robert added it
Definitive - but also intensely dry and academic.
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Wendy Rowden
Wendy Rowden is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2015
Matteo Marini
Matteo Marini marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
KENNETH D CATES
KENNETH D CATES marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Andrei
Andrei marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jul 07, 2015
Barbara White
Barbara White marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Gus
Gus marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Reza رضا
Reza رضا marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
  • The Thirty Years War
  • The Spanish Civil War
  • A World Restored: Metternich, Castlereagh and the Problems of Peace, 1812-1822
  • The Franco-Prussian War: The German Conquest of France in 1870-1871
  • The Fall of Paris: The Siege and the Commune 1870-71
  • The Twenty Years' Crisis, 1919-1939
  • The Enlightenment: The Rise of Modern Paganism
  • The Mediterranean and the Mediterranean World in the Age of Philip II, Volume 2
  • The End of the European Era: 1890 to the Present (The Norton History of Modern Europe)
  • The Armada
  • Imperial Spain, 1469-1716
  • The Franco-Prussian War: The German Invasion of France, 1870-1871
  • The World Turned Upside Down: Radical Ideas During the English Revolution
  • The Boer War
Alan John Percivale Taylor was a British historian of the 20th century and renowned academic who became well known to millions through his popular television lectures.
More about A.J.P. Taylor...

Oxford History of Modern Europe (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Russian Empire 1801-1917
  • The Low Countries 1780-1940
  • Spain, 1808-1975 (Oxford History of Modern Europe)
  • A History of French Passions 1848-1945: Volume II: Intellect, Taste, and Anxiety
  • Germany 1866-1945 (History of Modern Europe)
  • German History 1770-1866
  • The Transformation of European Politics 1763-1848
  • Rumania 1866-1947
  • A People Apart: A Political History of the Jews in Europe 1789-1939
  • Bulgaria
The Origins of the Second World War Bismarck: The Man and the Statesman The First World War: An Illustrated History The Habsburg Monarchy 1809-1918 English History 1914-45 (History of England)