Start by marking “The Struggle for Mastery in Europe, 1848-1918 (History of Modern Europe)” as Want to Read:
The Struggle for Mastery in Europe, 1848-1918 (History of Modern Europe)

The Struggle for Mastery in Europe, 1848-1918 (Oxford History of Modern Europe)

The fall of Metternich in the revolutions which swept Europe in 1848 heralded an era of unprecedented nationalism, which culminated in the collapse of the Habsburg, Romanov, and Hohenzollern dynasties at the of the First World War. In the intervening seventy years which are the subject of this book, the boundaries of Europe changed dramatically from those established at Vi ...more
Published December 4th 1980 by Oxford University Press (first published December 4th 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Struggle for Mastery in Europe, 1848-1918, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Struggle for Mastery in Europe, 1848-1918

Kevin
Jan 20, 2013 Kevin rated it it was amazing
A panoramic view of European history from the revolutions of 1848 to the end of the First World Power, when Europe "ceased to be the centre of the world". Though Taylor can be extremely dense, (if I had a nickel for every semi-colon...), he delves into every era with a tenacious insight that leaves you simultaneously gasping for air upon finishing and filled with a profound knowledge of the aims and motives of the great powers and their leaders alike.
I especially liked his treatment of the Crim
Cat
Aug 27, 2007 Cat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of foreign affairs magazine.
Shelves: europeanhistory
What possessed me to purchase this book? There I was, in Bonanza Books, my favorite book store in my parent's home town. I looked at the title and thought, "Maybe I am interested in the struggle for mastery in europe (1848-1918).

I'm not at all a fan of european diplomatic history. Though the material has a certain "Wes Anderson" (filmmaker of Rushmore and Royal Tennenbaum) flavor to it. Lots of triple ententes, diplomatic notes and, my favorite phrase in the whole book- "secret diplomacy". You s
Lauren Albert
Jun 24, 2017 Lauren Albert rated it it was ok
Shelves: history-european
I just couldn't do it. I clearly tried reading both this and his history of England more than once since I found bookmarks in them. I read collections of his essays without a problem. So why can't I make it through these? Partly because he makes statements about situations without explanation. In general, I just couldn't follow. I like to consider myself less ignorant about history than many Americans (if more ignorant than many non-Americans). But maybe I'm wrong.
Scriptor Ignotus
A dense but fascinating account of the intricacies of European diplomacy from the 1848 revolutions, which unhinged the system established at Vienna by Metternich, to the end of the Great War, in which, as Taylor argued, Europe ceased to be entirely the master of its own affairs, becoming a battleground between liberalism and communism. If you're looking for a good international political history of this era, it is hard to go wrong with Taylor. All of the great developments of the era are covered ...more
Mohammed
Feb 27, 2013 Mohammed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
الكتاب يوضح دهاليز قيام التحالفات بين الدول و مدى تأثيرها مصائر الأمم فى ذلك الوقت
4triplezed
May 19, 2015 4triplezed rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, europe
I can hardly complain. A battered copy for few cents in a 2nd hand book shop but it was along haul. Diplomatic history written for those studying diplomacy? I have read plenty of dry and dense history and some I thought was very good indeed but this just seemed to be page after page of dense stream of consciousness prose. I learnt a bit hence 2 stars but I have one more by the author and may give it a while before I get into it.
Douglas
Jun 06, 2007 Douglas rated it really liked it
a classic diplomatic/political history of Europe from the 1848 revolutions to the US entry into WW1. the author picked that as the closing date because that was when Europe stopped dictating its own fate.

this is history from the towering heights - kings, Kaisers, prime ministers and so forth. a refreshing change of pace from the now-obligatory narrative histories.
Dave
Mar 17, 2010 Dave rated it liked it
It's hard to imagine a better one-stop-shop for all you might want to know about this period. While I like to use this as a reference for particular things, I found I could not read it cover to cover. It is so jam packed that I felt it lost any sense of narrative.
Zach
Oct 30, 2016 Zach rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
An extremely thorough look at international diplomacy during the height of the European balance of power. The author has a dry style that was very amusing to me. But beware that this is a history of international relations only - anything else is only mentioned in passing, if at all.
Dfordoom
Political/military/diplomatic history is no longer my thing, but if you do like that sot of thing few people did it better than A. J. P. Taylor.
Nathan
Jan 18, 2012 Nathan rated it liked it
A history of diplomatic maneouvring between the European great powers before World War 1. Rather dry, with little editorial comment. Still, good to learn things from if you're into such things. 3/5
Robert
May 26, 2008 Robert added it
Definitive - but also intensely dry and academic.
Greg D'Avis
Feb 20, 2012 Greg D'Avis rated it it was amazing
First read this in college -- now giving it another go. I can already tell it's going to be amazing.
Andy
Jul 05, 2013 Andy rated it it was amazing
One of the great history writers of all time writes the greatest history of all time. This book is lengthy, but Taylor is never overly pedantic. Highly recommended
Tyler Ostergaard
Jul 29, 2014 Tyler Ostergaard rated it really liked it
Great read but ONLY if you enjoy complex diplomatic history. Still a breathtaking work of scholarship.
Ben Petersheim
Ben Petersheim rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2014
Todd
Todd rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2012
Gerard Kilgallon
Gerard Kilgallon rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2012
nilda enano
nilda enano rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2017
David Cavaco
David Cavaco rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2016
Mel
Mel rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Chad
Chad rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2009
Lóránd Gárdonyi
Lóránd Gárdonyi rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Vassil
Vassil rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2012
Thomas Stemwedel
Thomas Stemwedel rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Ryan K MIller
Ryan K MIller rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2017
Snow
Snow rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2015
Tonytheprof
Tonytheprof rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2012
Mark Henwick
Mark Henwick rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Holy Madness: Romantics, Patriots, and Revolutionaries, 1776-1871
  • The Thirty Years War
  • The Franco-Prussian War: The German Conquest of France in 1870-1871
  • Germany's Aims in the First World War
  • A World Restored: Metternich, Castlereagh and the Problems of Peace, 1812-1822
  • The Mediterranean and the Mediterranean World in the Age of Philip II, Volume 2
  • The End of the European Era: 1890 to the Present (The Norton History of Modern Europe)
  • The Fall of Paris: The Siege and the Commune 1870-71
  • Germany 1866-1945 (History of Modern Europe)
  • The Spanish Civil War
  • The Twenty Years' Crisis, 1919-1939
  • The Foundations of Modern Political Thought: Volume One: The Renaissance
  • Where Have All the Soldiers Gone?: The Transformation of Modern Europe
  • The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire from the First Century AD to the Third
Alan John Percivale Taylor was a British historian of the 20th century and renowned academic who became well known to millions through his popular television lectures.
More about A.J.P. Taylor...

Oxford History of Modern Europe (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Russian Empire 1801-1917
  • The Low Countries 1780-1940
  • Spain, 1808-1975 (Oxford History of Modern Europe)
  • A History of French Passions 1848-1945: Volume II: Intellect, Taste, and Anxiety
  • Germany 1866-1945 (History of Modern Europe)
  • German History 1770-1866