Start by marking “Gods Tomorrow (Ghost Targets, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gods Tomorrow (Ghost Targets, #1)

Gods Tomorrow (Ghost Targets #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  279 ratings  ·  33 reviews
We abandoned privacy and turned databases into something like gods. They listened to our prayers. They met our needs and blessed us with new riches. They watched over us, protected us, and punished the wicked among us. We almost made a paradise. But there were those who tried to hide from the databases' all-seeing eye. They used their wealth or power or intellect to turn t ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Consortium Book Sales & Distribution

A Shade of Vampire by Bella ForrestThe Wronged Sons by John MarrsStarshine by G.S. JennsenTell Me You Want Me by Amelia JamesA Demon Made Me Do It by Penelope King
Best of Little-Known Authors
300th out of 4,319 books — 3,912 voters
Once Upon Another Time by Rosary  McQuestionLife is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison HawnAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneSpare Change by Bette Lee CrosbyVampire Princess Rising by Jami Brumfield
Best Unknown Books
330th out of 2,007 books — 1,763 voters

More lists with this book...

Oct 14, 2010 Jessie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Michael Crichton fans, dystopia fans, fans of strong female protagonists
Shelves: own, consortium
The beginning is a bit slow and the only reason I understand most of the technical jargon because my husband is in software development. However, the characters drive the plot forward, and by at least a quarter of a way through the book, I was devouring every page to find out what happened next. It is really well written, and his setting is definitely plausible. I can see his future becoming our future very soon. All in all, great read!
This book left me somewhat ambivalent; throughout and at the end. Don't get me wrong, my heart pounded during the intense scenes and the book was definitely a page turner - but it wasn't exactly a satisfying, pleasurable read. I was surprised by my reaction, given that I loved another book I read by Pogue (Taming Fire), and Gods Tomorrow was even more highly rated on both Amazon and Good Reads. But it felt like the inferior book - as if, in Taming Fire, Pogue was starting to warm up to being a r ...more
Carlos Velez
I'm partway through this book on my second read. I'll write a full review afterwards, but right now I just want to say a bit about how the author handled blending a rich and fascinating sci-fi world with the easy read of a fast-paced thriller. Don't worry, no spoilers here.

Aaron Pogue's unique, near-future sci-fi world inspires you to want to know more about it. Usually, fantasy and sci-fi authors with this sort of fascinating setting spend a lot of time telling about it to get their readers ful
Not bad for a free book from BookBub, but it really needed a clearer intro to explain how everyone's lives were being recorded, and it seemed to skirt the file storage and ethical issues of recording everyone. Helps if you know something about computer tech but also helps if you don't think too deeply along the lines of how only the writers of this code are the ones able to hack it!!
For a smart woman, the main character is amazingly stupid, naive and idiotic. The technobabble frequently made no sense and was badly described/explained. Figured out the bad guy about halfway through. Not a terrible read, but could have been a lot better.
Lyle Nicholson
I think the author is good, however, there were so many plot lines that didn't seem to work, and lulls in action, that I could only put this down to a first attempt.

There is so much telling in this book. The author is trying to get across this major element called "Hathor," that watches everything. After awhile, you kind of get tired of it, and want the story to move along.

There is also this major plot element of the protagonist leaving these messages for her father. Then, in the latter part of
Short, fast paced crime technothriller. Looking forward to reading the other books inthe series.
JA Garrett
This holds the distinction of being the first book I ever read on my Kindle. But enough about me.

Basic plot (spoiler free!): Katie Pratt is a recently hired FBI Agent, and newest members of a unit called Ghost Targets. In the futuristic world the author creates, a super-advanced surveillance system called Hathor watches the entire world. Originally designed to just function as something not so different from our favorite apps on our smartphones today, within years it became so good at watching e
Goodreads Description- We abandoned privacy and turned databases into something like gods. They listened to our prayers. They met our needs and blessed us with new riches. They watched over us, protected us, and punished the wicked among us. We almost made a paradise.

But there were those who tried to hide from the databases’ all-seeing eye. They used their wealth or power or intellect to turn themselves into ghosts within the endless archive. For years these ghosts have used their anonymity to p
Susan Otto
Unbelievably realistic and scary

We live in a technical age where internet is so readily available with all the data's collected and stored on hard drive, flash drives, are the cloud....I know that the book storyline is here now. Terrifies me what the author's writes is possible. Couldn't put the book down. Will have to get over my fright first before continuing with the series.
S. Otto
Kristine Jared
If you've ever wondered about all your device this book will confirm them.

When newly minted FBI agent , Katie , gets thrown a simple case of murder, it becomes far more than she can handle. Enter Mr. Ghost or rather the inventor of all she once thought impenetrable. A great read for all those who believe tech has gone too far.
This takes place in the future where no one has any secrets. It doesn't sound like a lot of fun. A young agent teems up with a seasoned agent --the type who has been there, and done that. The idea is to combat evil, which could cost them their lives.
Aaron Dubin
A very interesting book taking place in the not so distant future as Hathor and Hippocrates see and hear everything we do. Need a new apartment, Hathor will find one and put it on your tab. Doors will open automatically as it senses you are approaching. Need to make a call. Hathor call Dad. How about in distress, Hippocrates will know you need help and send it to you. This is the world of Gods Tomorrow and our heroine Katie Pratt. It's an intriguing and somewhat terrifying future world. The writ ...more
Charlie Powell
I read very little fiction, but I’m glad I read this book. The author sets the story in a high-tech, near-future world. The FBI-drama story-line is engaging. I found myself constantly eager to see what happens next.

At the same time, the book prompted me to think about some real issues related to the use and development of technology in our world. What is the proper role of technology? How intrusive should it be? Are the conveniences worth the loss of privacy? What spiritual implications might t

I was in awe at the knowledge and intelligence that went into writing this book. This world is very believable and very well written.
It is an interesting premise but the presentation is only passable.
Eddie Paneto
kinda slow but had some interesting chapters.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Free Friday selection Sep 25, 2015.
This book made my head hurt.
Free ebook on Kindle but was not titled Gods Tomorrow but Surveillance.
Not a type of story I would usually read. I like mystery and thriller and scifi which this is all three rolled into one. I'm giving two stars because I'm just not sure of the main character, Katie.
It is an interesting premise and not set in the far off future but in the not so distant future. It is kinda scarey. The characters just left a bit to be desired but were still interesting to a point. Might give the second book a t
as convoluted as a Shadowrun! now give me book two :p
I was surprised at this story. It begun with a struggle and I almost gave it up for being too technical. But for some reason I kept on going, wanting to read something different and this book really shocked me at how much I actually liked it.

The story moves forwards quite nicely especially after you get yourself accustomed to the future technology. The main character was very humane and I liked her.

It was a fun read and would recommend it to others too.
Good concept, but I guess it would have seemed more original had I read it when first published. Unfortunately the subject of heavy surveillance in society (and the avoidance of), has become mainstream and negated a lot of what would have been unique story lines. Still a good read, and I'll probably pick up others in the series to see what other story lines have to offer.
Brilliant book! A classic cop action story but set in a world where there is near perfect surveillance. Thanks to technology. I absolutely loved this book. The descriptions of the technology and the implications on the real world are just familiar & believable enough to make give a lot of food for thought. Looking forward to reading more books by this author.
A very fun book set in a very fun world -- with total surveillance by automated systems that is aimed at making like safe and convenience. The characters do come to life and I want to follow what happens with them. The plot is also believable, which is - funnily enough - important for good scifi.

I am really looking for more books in the series.
Lisa Parker
Not my usual but a great read

Glad I picked this book up and will continue the series. Big brother is watching but how accurate are they really?
Wasn't sure I would like this one - it was a little too futuristic for me; however, the more I read the more into the story I got. There was plenty of action, good character development and a few twists that kept it interesting. I give this one 4.5 stars.
Pleasant sci-fi book with well crafted and believable future tech. However the characters seemed too naive and I found the whole thing rather predictable. Read as kindle version (called "Surveillance")
Sue turner
An interesting story. New , nothing like anything i have read before. Well written, good character development. I would recomend to a friend of police mysteries.
This is an interesting and fast paced techno-thriller, enjoyed it. will read others in series.
  • Dover Beach (The Last P.I., #1)
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)
  • Sweat
  • Whiplash River: A Novel
  • Kick (Jenkins Cycle, #1)
  • Mind Games (Diana Racine #1)
  • Blue Fall (The Tournament, #1)
  • Artificial Evil (The Techxorcist, #1)
  • The Missing Link
  • Imaginary Things
  • Deadeye (Mutant Files #1)
  • Scavenger Hunt (A Finny Aletter Mystery, Book 1)
  • Georgia on My Mind and Other Places
  • The Reborn (the Day Eight Series Part 1)
  • The Unforgivable Fix (Mort Grant #3)
  • Winter (The Demi-Monde #1)
  • The Living Image
Aaron Pogue is a husband and a father of two who lives in Oklahoma City, OK. Aaron started writing at the age of ten. His first novels were high fantasy set in the rich world of the FirstKing, but he's explored mainstream thrillers, urban fantasy, and several kinds of science fiction. Author of the Dragonprince's Legacy, the Godlanders War, and the Ghost Targets series, Aaron Pogue has sold a quar ...more
More about Aaron Pogue...

Ghost Targets (4 books)
  • Expectation (Ghost Targets, #2)
  • Restraint (Ghost Targets, #3)
  • Camouflage (Ghost Targets, #4)

“he said. He was surprised his voice didn't tremble. He took some confidence from that.” 0 likes