Start by marking “Communion with the Triune God” as Want to Read:
Communion with the Triune God

Communion with the Triune God (Works of John Owen #2)

Does it make a difference that the God Christians claim to worship has revealed himself as triune-the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit? Does this fundamental truth of biblical authority have an effect on a believer's personal fellowship with God?

Puritan theologian John Owen recognized the great need for every believer to understand the triune God. Communion with the Triune God
Published September 27th 2007 by Crossway Books (first published 1657)

To ask other readers questions about Communion with the Triune God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Communion with the Triune God

Wow. This book left me undone in the presence and goodness of God and gave me new perspectives and a deeper understanding of the essence and beating heart of the Christian life: Communion with God.
I re-read each chapter several times, one I even read six times, just to soak in the truth. I wept for joy and wept for repentance to realize my blessings and misappropriation of the blessedness of communion with the Holy Trinity.

I have never read a book so full of references to the scripture, and to t
John Weis
Jan 01, 2017 John Weis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: puritan
Communion with the Triune God - John Owen

The introduction from Kelly M. Kapic is quite helpful, allowing the reader to map Owen's unique thought and balance of doctrine and application.

Of Communion with the Father

Third, they differ in this also: The love of God is like himself — equal, constant, not capable of augmentation or diminution; our love is like our selves — unequal, increasing, waning, growing, declining. His, like the sun, always the same in its light, though a cloud may sometime

Jacob Aitken
Owen gives us a dense, thorough, yet manageable snapshot, not only of Reformed prolegomena, but of Trinitarian piety as well. Given the current (if overblown) popularity of the YRR crowd--who know not Turretin nor his principia--yet strangely seek Owen, Owen can give them a taste of proper Reformed theologomena. In many ways, this can function as a primer to systematic theology. So here it goes:

Basic definitions:

communion: A mutual communication of such good things grounded upon some union (Owen
Al
Feb 18, 2011 Al rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: puritan
What can you say? It's John Owen, a giant among Puritan theologians. All of his books are packed with doctrine and application, and this one is no exception. Not a book you can read once; you should read it several times.
Michael Kenan  Baldwin
Dec 22, 2016 Michael Kenan Baldwin rated it it was amazing
Frustrating at times, deeply insightful at others, and at others yet profoundly moving and emotive. Tears were shed!
Sterling
Nov 19, 2016 Sterling rated it really liked it
Good, but a bit of tough sledding.
Stevie
It was doctrinally rich and insightful.

Poignant Quotes:

"The Father knows that his people can bring no greater hurt to his loving heart than to have such hard thoughts of him."

"Sin brought infinite punishment because it was committed against an infinite God. Christ, being the infinite God in human nature, could suffer the infinite punishment that the sinner deserved. An so, by this personal union in Christ we are saved."

"To encourage our hearts to give themselves up more fully to the Lord Jesus C
Ben Chidester
Sep 11, 2016 Ben Chidester rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
No work I have yet read has had such a profound impact on both my theological understanding of God and my devotion to Him. In this work, Owen expounds upon how we hold communion with God (both in our communing with Him and His communing with us) both as the one God and yet distinctly through the three persons of the Trinity. Many of the truths I had a shallow understanding of before, but Owen expounds upon them to such a moving depth, entreating us earnestly to the love of God communicated to us ...more
Kevin Morse
Sep 04, 2011 Kevin Morse rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! A word of warning though: his writing style can be challenging. I read somewhere (I think J.I. Packer said this) that Owen writes English with Latin syntax. There is a pretty simple cure though, if you're willing to do it. Read the book out loud to yourself! I found that I was able to not only follow the arguments easily, but to really enjoy Owen's style when I started reading out loud.

This book is well worth reading though, simply because Owen does a very good job of lifting
Vaughn
Feb 17, 2014 Vaughn rated it really liked it
This is an academic, well-researched, yet accessible version of John Owen's classic work. But don't be fooled - it's not easy reading. Truth be told, I probably should have read the Puritan Paperback version (http://www.amazon.com/Communion-With-...) first as it is an abridged paraphrase.

Regardless, Communion with the Triune God is worth the investment and will find a home on my bookshelf. It's one of those that serve me well over the next several years.

Highly recommended, especially for the ac
Coyle
Feb 18, 2011 Coyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely wonderful. As one pastor has pointed out, most people who encounter Owen (which is a small enough number anyway) encounter him through either Mortification of Sin or The Death of Death in the Death of Christ, the former of which was written for high-school age students, and the latter as a polemic against Arminians, and because of that they miss out on the true depth of Owen's devotional thought. Having read this, I heartily agree.
Brian Moon
Jul 24, 2014 Brian Moon rated it really liked it
Wonderfully rich. Really difficult to read. Owen seems to look at his sentences and decide "why use 10 words when I can use 17!" And then he tosses them out of order and sprinkles liberally with commas.

That said, it is a wonderfully rich book. I found the section on communion with the Father and his love for us tremendously helpful.

(I should note that I was reading this with a 9 month old, so some of the difficulties in comprehension may lie with her.)
Nathan Douthit
Mar 03, 2014 Nathan Douthit rated it really liked it
Excellent book. A difficult read, but this edition's outline at the beginning of the book makes it much easier to follow the line of thought throughout the text. Worthwhile, the sections on Song of Songs is a little long, but a helpful consideration of that text. Does a great job of emphasizing unity of God without sacrificing the distinctives of the Trinity. Practical and pastoral but not losing theological weight of the subject.
Wade
Jan 09, 2012 Wade rated it it was amazing
Shelves: puritans
This is an excellent book on the doctrine of the Trinity and what it means for a believer to have fellowship with God. It is not an easy read (to say the least)… it is often necessary to take a break after reading a single paragraph just to try to take in everything that was said in the paragraph. This is excellent theology and a classic work.
G Walker
Tried to wade through this one several times, found Kapic and Taylors edition to be much more accessible. See my notes from _Communion with the Triune God_. Also like Christian Focus' version, Communion with God: Fellowship with Father, Son and Holy Spirit as its formating is quite nice and much more accessible.
Scott Korljan
Aug 29, 2016 Scott Korljan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Owen is not easy to read, and I have been slowly working through this treatise since January. However, if your wiling to make the effort, he offers an incredible combination of theological precision with pastoral application. This is an important topic and he wrestles with questions that are still incredibly relevant today.
Ryan Wolfe
Mar 02, 2012 Ryan Wolfe rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book. Doxological the whole way through. Provokes one to worship with almost every page turn. Cannot recommend this book too highly. It is not a book on prayer per se, but it has affected my prayer life more than any other book outside the Bible.
Apr 27, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Admittedly, I have only read the sections on communion with the Father and the Son so far. But I have every expectation of enjoying the rest, and it's a book I will definitely want to own eventually.
Alex Houston
Aug 09, 2012 Alex Houston rated it it was amazing
Though it's slow going, this book is incredible. I've just gotten through the section on the Father and it was extremely edifying. Owen was a theological giant and any time spent with him will be fruitful indeed.
Scott
Mar 03, 2010 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Owen discusses communion with each Person of the Trinity. The bulk of the book addresses communion with Jesus Christ. I read it rather quickly and did a preliminary outline intending to re read it in the future.
Jeremy
Jan 01, 2010 Jeremy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this r-e-a-l slowly because it is so genius and I don't want it to end. Owen is a beast and this book is beautiful.

1/1/10 - Haven't picked this back up in a while. Will get back to it this spring I'm sure.
Aaron Will
This was a book where every time I thought of reading it I was reluctant to wade through his difficult writing style, but then when I picked it up and got into it I continually wondered why I wasn't reading it more often!
Rock Rockwell
Oct 08, 2007 Rock Rockwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians who feel God is far off
Shelves: christian-living
Owens shows us that our loving Father holds out the cherry cordial to us when we are sick in order to show us His tender compassion. A great read for God's children to understand and embrace the love of God to them in Christ.
Bryan McWhite
Jul 27, 2011 Bryan McWhite rated it it was amazing
I just can't read this book slowly enough. Every time I pick it up, I find a sentence or a paragraph that I just can't manage to let go - I have to stop and let my heart and mind soak and simmer in it. This may be the best book I've ever read on fellowship with God.
G Walker
Very helpful version of Owen's classic. Good stuff. Kapic's introduction is helpful as is the overall "modernization" of the text. Still my favorite version if the Christ Focus one, perhaps that is because I am a simpleton.
David Luke
Aug 19, 2015 David Luke rated it it was amazing
Typical Owen. The style is difficult but the labour is rewarding. Must be my third time reading this and it is always profitable.
G Walker
Great version of a classic work. Very well formatted. Very Good content too. Good little book! Owen is at his best here, I believe anyway.
Katy
Oct 16, 2010 Katy rated it it was amazing
Words can't express how good this book is. It's such a help as to see how Great God is, and how to commune with Him.
Simone Brett
This book is masterful in its examination of the inseparable nature of the Trinity, and how communion with each Person is vital to the Christian life.
Ryan
Aug 07, 2012 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible book... Did wonders in my understanding and participation in fellowship with the Triune God.
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
  • The Bruised Reed
  • The Letters of Samuel Rutherford (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
  • A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life
  • The Existence and Attributes of God
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • The Christian in Complete Armour
  • A Lifting Up for the Downcast
  • For the Love of God: Volume One: A Daily Companion for Discovering the Riches of God's Word
  • Prayer
  • Dynamics of Spiritual Life
  • The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way
  • A Quest for Godliness
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • A Method for Prayer: Freedom in the face of God
John Owen was an English theologian and "was without doubt not only the greatest theologian of the English Puritan movement but also one of the greatest European Reformed theologians of his day, and quite possibly possessed the finest theological mind that England ever produced" ("Owen, John", in Biographical Dictionary of Evangelicals, p. 494)
More about John Owen...

Works of John Owen (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Glory of Christ
  • The Holy Spirit
  • Faith and Its Evidences (Works of John Owen, Volume 5)
  • Overcoming Sin & Temptation
  • Sin and Grace (Works of John Owen, Volume 7)
  • Sermons To The Nation (Works Of John Owen, Volume 8)
  • Sermons to the Church (Works of John Owen, Volume 9)
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
  • Continuing in the Faith (Works of John Owen, Volume 11)
  • The Gospel Defended (Works of John Owen, Volume 12)

“The greatest sorrow and burden you can lay on the Father, the greatest unkindness you can do to him is not to believe that he loves you.” 26 likes
“The love of God is like himself – equal, constant, not capable of augmentation or diminution; our love is like ourselves – unequal, increasing, waning, growing, declining. His, like the sun, always the same in its light, though a cloud may sometimes interpose; ours, as the moon, has its enlargements and straightenings.” 11 likes