Start by marking “Communion with the Triune God” as Want to Read:
Communion with the Triune God

Communion with the Triune God

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  27 reviews
This edited work of John Owen helps modern-day believers understand the timeless truths of the Trinity.
Published September 27th 2007 by Crossway Books (first published 1657)

To ask other readers questions about Communion with the Triune God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Communion with the Triune God

Wow. This book left me undone in the presence and goodness of God and gave me new perspectives and a deeper understanding of the essence and beating heart of the Christian life: Communion with God.
I re-read each chapter several times, one I even read six times, just to soak in the truth. I wept for joy and wept for repentance to realize my blessings and misappropriation of the blessedness of communion with the Holy Trinity.

I have never read a book so full of references to the scripture, and to t...more
Al
What can you say? It's John Owen, a giant among Puritan theologians. All of his books are packed with doctrine and application, and this one is no exception. Not a book you can read once; you should read it several times.
Stevie
It was doctrinally rich and insightful.

Poignant Quotes:

"The Father knows that his people can bring no greater hurt to his loving heart than to have such hard thoughts of him."

"Sin brought infinite punishment because it was committed against an infinite God. Christ, being the infinite God in human nature, could suffer the infinite punishment that the sinner deserved. An so, by this personal union in Christ we are saved."

"To encourage our hearts to give themselves up more fully to the Lord Jesus C...more
Kevin Morse
I loved this book! A word of warning though: his writing style can be challenging. I read somewhere (I think J.I. Packer said this) that Owen writes English with Latin syntax. There is a pretty simple cure though, if you're willing to do it. Read the book out loud to yourself! I found that I was able to not only follow the arguments easily, but to really enjoy Owen's style when I started reading out loud.

This book is well worth reading though, simply because Owen does a very good job of lifting...more
Vaughn
This is an academic, well-researched, yet accessible version of John Owen's classic work. But don't be fooled - it's not easy reading. Truth be told, I probably should have read the Puritan Paperback version (http://www.amazon.com/Communion-With-...) first as it is an abridged paraphrase.

Regardless, Communion with the Triune God is worth the investment and will find a home on my bookshelf. It's one of those that serve me well over the next several years.

Highly recommended, especially for the ac...more
Justin Andrusk
I really enjoyed this Owen book and I really like the section on communion with the Holy Spirit.
Brian Moon
Wonderfully rich. Really difficult to read. Owen seems to look at his sentences and decide "why use 10 words when I can use 17!" And then he tosses them out of order and sprinkles liberally with commas.

That said, it is a wonderfully rich book. I found the section on communion with the Father and his love for us tremendously helpful.

(I should note that I was reading this with a 9 month old, so some of the difficulties in comprehension may lie with her.)
Coyle
Absolutely wonderful. As one pastor has pointed out, most people who encounter Owen (which is a small enough number anyway) encounter him through either Mortification of Sin or The Death of Death in the Death of Christ, the former of which was written for high-school age students, and the latter as a polemic against Arminians, and because of that they miss out on the true depth of Owen's devotional thought. Having read this, I heartily agree.
Nathan Douthit
Excellent book. A difficult read, but this edition's outline at the beginning of the book makes it much easier to follow the line of thought throughout the text. Worthwhile, the sections on Song of Songs is a little long, but a helpful consideration of that text. Does a great job of emphasizing unity of God without sacrificing the distinctives of the Trinity. Practical and pastoral but not losing theological weight of the subject.
Wade
This is an excellent book on the doctrine of the Trinity and what it means for a believer to have fellowship with God. It is not an easy read (to say the least)… it is often necessary to take a break after reading a single paragraph just to try to take in everything that was said in the paragraph. This is excellent theology and a classic work.
Bryan McWhite
I just can't read this book slowly enough. Every time I pick it up, I find a sentence or a paragraph that I just can't manage to let go - I have to stop and let my heart and mind soak and simmer in it. This may be the best book I've ever read on fellowship with God.
Ryan Wolfe
Phenomenal book. Doxological the whole way through. Provokes one to worship with almost every page turn. Cannot recommend this book too highly. It is not a book on prayer per se, but it has affected my prayer life more than any other book outside the Bible.
Jeremy
Jan 01, 2010 Jeremy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this r-e-a-l slowly because it is so genius and I don't want it to end. Owen is a beast and this book is beautiful.

1/1/10 - Haven't picked this back up in a while. Will get back to it this spring I'm sure.
Aaron Will
This was a book where every time I thought of reading it I was reluctant to wade through his difficult writing style, but then when I picked it up and got into it I continually wondered why I wasn't reading it more often!
G Walker
Very helpful version of Owen's classic. Good stuff. Kapic's introduction is helpful as is the overall "modernization" of the text. Still my favorite version if the Christ Focus one, perhaps that is because I am a simpleton.
Rock Rockwell
Oct 08, 2007 Rock Rockwell rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians who feel God is far off
Shelves: christian-living
Owens shows us that our loving Father holds out the cherry cordial to us when we are sick in order to show us His tender compassion. A great read for God's children to understand and embrace the love of God to them in Christ.
Alex Houston
Though it's slow going, this book is incredible. I've just gotten through the section on the Father and it was extremely edifying. Owen was a theological giant and any time spent with him will be fruitful indeed.
Admittedly, I have only read the sections on communion with the Father and the Son so far. But I have every expectation of enjoying the rest, and it's a book I will definitely want to own eventually.
Alex Villasana
A great book to read. I try to go over this book at least once a year. It has giving me a better understanding and appreciation for the communion I have with the Triune God, specially on the Lord's Table
Simone Brett
This book is masterful in its examination of the inseparable nature of the Trinity, and how communion with each Person is vital to the Christian life.
G Walker
Great version of a classic work. Very well formatted. Very Good content too. Good little book! Owen is at his best here, I believe anyway.
Katy
Words can't express how good this book is. It's such a help as to see how Great God is, and how to commune with Him.
Ryan
Incredible book... Did wonders in my understanding and participation in fellowship with the Triune God.
Matt
Incredibly powerful exposition of the gospel, but became slightly dry by the end.
Josh
Also read in August 2012.
Johnmark
Makes Christ more glorious to the reader.
Louisa Black
Louisa Black marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Noelle Foster
Noelle Foster is currently reading it
Oct 21, 2014
Noel Bass
Noel Bass marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
  • The Bruised Reed
  • All Things for Good
  • The Mystery of Providence (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism
  • A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers
  • Keep in Step with the Spirit: Finding Fullness in Our Walk with God
  • The Reformed Pastor
  • Jesus on Every Page: 10 Simple Ways to Seek and Find Christ in the Old Testament
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • Charity & Its Fruits
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • God of Promise: Introducing Covenant Theology
  • Institutes of the Christian Religion, 2 Vols
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life
John Owen was an English theologian and "was without doubt not only the greatest theologian of the English Puritan movement but also one of the greatest European Reformed theologians of his day, and quite possibly possessed the finest theological mind that England ever produced" ("Owen, John", in Biographical Dictionary of Evangelicals, p. 494)
More about John Owen...
The Mortification of Sin Overcoming Sin & Temptation The Death of Death in the Death of Christ The Glory of Christ The Holy Spirit (Puritan Paperbacks: Treasures of John Owen for Today's Readers)

“The greatest sorrow and burden you can lay on the Father, the greatest unkindness you can do to him is not to believe that he loves you.” 10 likes
“The love of God is like himself – equal, constant, not capable of augmentation or diminution; our love is like ourselves – unequal, increasing, waning, growing, declining. His, like the sun, always the same in its light, though a cloud may sometimes interpose; ours, as the moon, has its enlargements and straightenings.” 8 likes