All the Pretty Dead Girls

All the Pretty Dead Girls

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  40 reviews

One By One. . .

Two decades ago, at a private women's college in upstate New York, a student was brutally attacked in her dorm room. Her assailant was never found. . .

They Disappear. . .

Sue Barlow arrives at Wilbourne College twenty years later. When a classmate disappears, Sue thinks it's an isolated incident. But then two other girls vanish. . .

And Die. . .

As fear grow

Published April 1st 2009 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published 2009)

Mackenzie
Valeri
First of all, the back cover summary of this book is extremely misleading. Secondly... it's just terrible. The author leads you around in circles for the first 3/4s of the book, and not in a good way. When he finally gets to the point it starts to pick up a little, but by then the story has reached its climax, leaving ending flat. Most of the characters are wanting, and the ones that seem to have potential are left in the dust. Over all, not a great read.
I didn't care for this book at all. I had 2 friends recommend it and they really liked it. I thought it was going to be about murder/suspense/mystery not about about cults and satan. I didn't care for the characters or the whole plot.
Tom M
Rating: 3.5 (Goodreads, add half stars!)

To give a sparse summary without giving the story away, Sue Barlow is a new student at the nearly all-female Wilbourne Academy in upstate Lebanon, New York. On her arrival she sees a screaming face in a dorm room that's later found to be unoccupied. During her first few weeks, some female students go missing and are later found murdered. The story continues as a suspense novel with atypical twists, containing elements of The Devil's Advocate as well as his...more
Jeff O'Brien
You'd think I'd have nothing negative to say about a book I gave 5 stars to. Well, I have two negative comments. But they have nothing really to do with the story.
1. All The Pretty Dead Girls is a VERY misleading title. If you're expecting an 80's Sorority House Slasher movie in novel form, which the title is suggestive of, that is not even close to what you're getting here.
2. This book has a few too many typos and words missing from sentences. Since that's the editor's job I don't hold it again...more
Anja
This book; All the Pretty Dead Girls by john Manning, had some good and some bad things going on. On one hand it is very exciting, a real page turner. I had to force myself from it, so that I could pick up my daughter from school. On the other hand it had a lot of faults. A few things I suspect is because of the translation into Norwegian, there was a few sentences that was badly written.

But there were several other things that I had issues with. One of them was that in almost every dialogue, on...more
Denise
4.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical thriller -- have fun with this one!, May 24, 2009

This review is from: All The Pretty Dead Girls (Paperback)
This book was NOT at all what I expected. I was thinking it would be a run-of-the-mill thriller - the type with a plot that I can write in my sleep. I assumed it would feature the usual: torture, rape, and a sicko psycho predator stalking coeds because of some hideous compulsion that would be detailed in the novel. Be warned - there is murder, but the st...more
Tracy
Good and creepy...bringing demons and the antichrist in for that extra special creepy factor. Sue is finally independent and headed off to college. She has been brought up by her grandparents, her parents have died. She is getting her first taste of freedom...but what is the screaming girl doing in an empty room? Why does she keep seeing it. Why do people tell her her parents are still alive? Girls are going missing from this school and a local sheriff wants to get to the bottom of it, but it se...more
Darlene
this book i thought was pretty good some of it was alittle weird hard to understand but in the long run i like i read it likt a few years ago so i really cant tell what happened im sorry just wanted to write a review....But i did enjoy it
T.M. Carper
I was excepting a straight-forward thriller dealing with a psychopath. What I was treated to was an unexpected, fast-paced read.

A rash of sightings of the Virgin Mary across the world draws a college professor into a world of darkness in a small town where every twenty years, several teenagers mysteriously vanish--only to show up later as corpses. A cult is uncovered, but who can you trust when people of authority cover-up murder?

Now it's up to one profosser to join forces with the daughter of...more
Bruce
I certainly wasn't expecting the story that I got. Based on the description on Amazon, I thought this was going to be a straight forward suspense. It had a supernatural element that went in a direction that I did not see coming. Still, it was pretty entertaining.
Jessica
Let me start by saying I only gave this 2 stars because I actually finished reading it. I struggled, but I finished it. There were a few times I considered not picking it back up, but since the first couple hundred pages were okay-ish, I kept going. The description on the back cover of this book does NOT accurately portray the story. There were demons and alot of weird cult activity, none of which showing up until 2/3 of the way through the book. Definitely not my kind of story. I was thoroughly...more
Mike
Fantastic book; it started out a bit slow and clumsy I thought but as the book went further along it drew me in and towards the last 100 pages or so I simply couldn't put it down. Each page left me wanting to read more and that is a perfect example of a great read.
I think this book can also give those who hate other people based on their religious, sexual or ethical beliefs something to think about. Something that's been lost to far too many people around the globe in this day and age.
Rebecca
The synopsis of the book on the back cover does not tip you to the fact that this book is devil/stigmata related. Therefore, once I figured that out I was very disappointed because that type of book does not interest me at all. I was under the impression it was a murder mystery/suspense. Finished it to see how it came out but would not recommend it if you are like me and don't like that sort of thing.
Nichole

This book made me laugh. It started off an intriguing fast paced mystery, but turned into something completely crazy and unbelievable. I found the main character Sue to be annoying. I did however quite enjoy the fate of the Joyce Davenport character since clearly she was based on Ann Coulter. That was pure poetic justice and earned the book an additional star from me.
Fauziah
It was ok......the ending is to be expected though. About a girl conceived from a devil and a human?????????? Naturally, the girl ends up having superpower.....whether she wants be like her evil devil father or humane like her mum, which I forgot to mention, the mum was rape by the devil. She is sacrificed by her parents...can you believe that?
Ina
It wasn't all that, but enjoyable read if you want something easy and a book you can relax with. I really liked the Sue character a lot. Very fun and a girl with guts. Someone who knows what to do in different situations. And I also liked Manning's writing style a lot so I'm going to check out more about his books later.
Meredith
Good book for a beach read. It was a freebie at the house I stayed at and was something easy and different than what I'd brought with me. I needed a change of pace and this was a fast read. The story wasn't really new, but engaging enough that I wanted to see it through to the end.
Lisa Biegel
Lynda
This book got me in right from the start, not knowing what she was running from or in her case driving away from really grabbed my attention. A real page turner looking forward to reading more.
update ....,just finished reading All the pretty dead girls loved it!
Nice piece of religious fiction

This book has an interesting take on the reality of religion and it's capacity to create a blind cult following. I'm glad I read it.
Karen
This was not what I thought it would be at all but not in a bad way per say. I liked the book. I did find the characters a bit simple. Like I said, it went in a direction I did not expect.
Ray Lee
Can't give a book more than 1 srar when I give up after 50 pages. The style, the obvious plot direction, bith combined. Once I out it down I just couldn't possibly pick it up again.
Heather Smith
Not a bad book at all. It kept my interest and the main story line was pretty good, the only thing I didn't care for was that the romantic aspect seemed a bit juvinile.
Nessa
Had potential....started out really well and then the author messed it all up by making the entire storyline completely unbelievable....and not in a good way
Quinn
I fell in love with the characters and wanted to know each one of them on a deeper level immediately: I don't recommend this to those who fear easily though.
Leslie Sorensen
This books was way too supernatural for me. I didn't like how much the author used religious undertones to infer things in his character development.
Jenn
Jan 07, 2012 Jenn marked it as unfinished  ·  review of another edition
Giving up on this one. It's too vague and rather dull. I have hundreds of other books to choose from so I'll pass this one along to someone else.
Claudia
Different kind of book. It starts with a lonely girl growing up, but turns into a fight between Good and Evil, with the Antichrist being born.
Andree' Schweda mccall
Awesome thriller. Manning ranks right up there with Koontz. Loved this book and would highly recommend dipping into it.
  • Hades
  • Victim Six
  • The Next To Die
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • Spitting Off Tall Buildings
  • Commuters
  • The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • While Galileo Preys
  • Devil's Keep
  • Bleak History
  • Absent Friends
  • Robin and Ruby
  • You Can't Stop Me (Crime Seen #1)
  • Ravish: The Awakening of Sleeping Beauty
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk, #2)
  • Shift (Gate of Orpheus Trilogy #1)
  • The Frightened Man (Denton, #1)
John Manning lives in Boston and Los Angeles and several points in between. A connoisseur of horror films, he especially loves the great made-for-television movies of the 1970s, where the devil always seemed to be lurking around the corner of a college dormitory or a suburban mansion.
More about John Manning...
The Killing Room The Sound of a Scream Field Guide To Fynbos The Emblem What Scares The Boogeyman?