Start by marking “The Torch in My Ear” as Want to Read:
The Torch in My Ear

The Torch in My Ear (The Memoir Trilogy #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The Torch in My Ear is the account of Canetti's young manhood, of his arrival in Vienna in the early 1920s, of his schooling, and of the beginning of his life as a writer.
Published November 1st 1999 by Granta Books (UK) (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Torch in My Ear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Torch in My Ear

M. Sarki
Another great segment in the trilogy. It was rewarding to read as Canetti matured. The next, and last book, should be a knockout as he becomes the writer he has worked so hard to be. This was a man who read everything he possibly could and his self-study was remarkable in its expansive ideal.
Lorenzo Berardi
Well, I've to confess that my expectations for 'The Torch in My Ear' were not that high upon having been struck by the mesmerizing (if slightly self-referential) beauty of the first volume of Canetti's autobiography, 'The Tongue Set Free'.

This was essentially my problem as I do prefer memoirs dealing with childhood years and focusing on other characters than the protagonist himself.

In fact, this book took a little longer than the first one to catch my attention as I've found the first pages abou
Juan Manuel  Charry Urueña
Toda una vida dedicada a una obra, una aventura intelectual única e independiente. Algunas de las cosas que dice el libro: La enorme diversidad de tipos humanos que siempre ha existido. Dejando de lado solamente a los filósofos: Platón y Aristóteles, salvo éstos, leí casi todo. Decidir si uno se resigna a aceptar dócilmente la muerte o se rebela contra ella. Una manifestación contra el asesinato de Rathenau me proporcionó mi primera experiencia con la masa. Solo encuentro digno de escenificarse ...more
Después de leer con mucho interés y casi diría fascinación la lengua absuelta, me enfrenté a la lectura del segundo volumen de la autobiografía de Canetti con mucha ilusión. sin embargo este volumen no ha conseguido provocar en mí el mismo efecto que el primero. No es que esté peor escrito ni mucho menos sino que simplemente el autor protagonista ha dejado atrás la inocencia y por ello el relato de su vida cambia radicalmente de punto de vista. Al contarnos su juventud reflexiona sobre muchas de ...more
The second part of Elias Canetti's autobiography which covers the Berlin visits and his return to Wien. I loved his description of Ibby and the meetings with Brecht.
Fabian Prieto
Lo compré en un aeropuerto de forma casi impulsiva. Quería un libro y ese fue el que escogí. Del aeropuerto salía a una serie de viajes por todo el país, y este libro siempre lo recordaré por su compañia. La juventud de Canetti me resultó interesante y me invitó a hacer cosas que siempre pensé hacer pero no las hice. Su idea del viaje a la montaña, su relación con Veza, su declaración de principios, todo eso ha retumbado en mi, particularmente en este momento de mi vida. No debo negar que es una ...more
Zöe Yu
This is a wonderful book. In second one of the three, we know more about his literary road, and as a whole picture in Berlin, I think it shaped his whole future. As he said, except my future, I've got nothing.

Second, he brings us attention to the discussion of collectivitism and death. It's a bridge leading us to the last book.

Middle part of a 3-part autobiography of a Noble Literature winner, The Torch in My Ear covers Canetti's years in Vienna which is why I skimmed it. This book will only be of interest to people who want to know more specifically about Canetti or those who are interested in the intellectual atmosphere of Vienna and Berlin in the 1920s.
incipit mania

I cambiamenti di scena dei mie primi anni li accettai senza opporre resistenza ...
Il frutto del fuoco
Linse Daugaard
Fantastisk efterfølger til første bind i Canettis erindringstriologi, Den reddede tunge. Det ødipale tema trænger sig stadig på, men løsrivelsesprocessen er påbegyndt.
Seconda parte dell'autobiografia. A questo punto inizia a interessare solo per gli amanti di Canetti e/o della letteratura austriaca. Ma per questi è fondamentale.
Need to read the rest of canetti's oeuvre. Crowds & Power and this - both perfect.
Apr 03, 2008 Martin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Good insight to cultural ongoing in Vienna!

I read the italian version
Maria marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Kristina marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Jur marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Pirjo added it
Oct 28, 2015
Norbert Schnöde
Norbert Schnöde marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Quân Khuê
Quân Khuê marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Joey Dhaumya
Joey Dhaumya marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Jose Alfredo
Jose Alfredo is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2015
Safran added it
Sep 23, 2015
ila marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
  • Green Henry
  • Sońka
  • The Notebooks of Raymond Chandler; and English Summer: A Gothic Romance
  • The Book of Franza and Requiem for Fanny Goldmann
Awarded the 1981 Nobel Prize in Literature "for writings marked by a broad outlook, a wealth of ideas and artistic power."

He studied in Vienna. Before World War II he moved with his wife Veza to England and stayed there for long time. Since late 1960s he lived in London and Zurich. In late 1980s he started to live in Zurich permanently. He died in 1994 in Zurich.

Author of Auto-da-Fé, Party in the
More about Elias Canetti...

The Memoir Trilogy (3 books)
  • Die gerettete Zunge: Geschichte einer Jugend