Start by marking “Bitter Betrayal (Harlequin Presents, No 1369)” as Want to Read:
Bitter Betrayal (Harlequin Presents, No 1369)

Bitter Betrayal (Harlequin Presents, No 1369)

It happened all the time

Jenneth told herself she wasn't the only woman in the world to have been let down by the man she loved and expected to marry.

She knew people went on to rebuild their lives and find lasting relationships. So why couldn't she put the past behind her? The fact that she still loved him was totally irrelevant now.

But Luke Rathby wasn't the sort of man wh
Published by Harlequin Books (first published June 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Bitter Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bitter Betrayal

This romance aggravated me from here to Sunday, but was fun anyway, for some reason. Jenneth has never been able to love again since being cruelly dumped by her fiance, who married another woman. Now his wife is dead and he wants to get Jenneth back. By telling her the bizarre truth about his marriage and asking for forgiveness? Nah, by plotting and scheming to force himself on her against her will. Oh Penny Jordan, why can’t I quit you?

There are so many little annoyances in this. The narration
Meh. I think perhaps, I need to step away from the HPs for a bit. My luck has been dismal of late.

I realize that miscommunication is the glue that holds the HP universe together, but this was absurd. Seriously this could have been cleared up with one 5 minute conversation. The hero's machinations were like those overly elaborate murder plots concocted by a cartoon villain. Just pull the trigger! is what I always want to scream. But no, that simply will never do.

Also, I cannot count the number o
Jun 08, 2011 Mareli rated it did not like it
This was my fist Penny Jordan and I didn't like it. I cannot believe that an adult woman can be reduced that way. What a doormat... and him being a very a@@hole!!!!

He accused her to be promiscuous and she didn't say anything! And she did marry him, after all because SHE LOVED HIM!!

grrrrrrr!!!! Not recommended.

I have some expectations for this author but maybe she's not my cup of tea :(
Grace Harwood
Dec 23, 2014 Grace Harwood rated it did not like it
It’s 1989 and the year of my first job (something I disliked so much that once whilst complaining about it to a colleague, he gave me the following advice: “You could always take the baby option”.) It was something that really depressed me at the time; but this book embodies those attitudes from that time entirely.

Yes, there’s a distinct lack of feminism here as Jordan’s heroine (Jenneth) allows herself to be coerced, manipulated and bullied into a reunion with a man who broke their engagement (
Someone club me before I willingly enter into a relationship with another book like this. So. Much. Anguish. So much manipulation, by old friends, gossipy neighbours, darling little moppets, concerned twin brothers ... and of course the hero of the tale. Perhaps I just have to be in the mood for an engagement broken because the hero has made another gal pregnant*, a heroine who is still a virgin eight years later because the scumbag hero has left her frozen -- who knows? There are enough lies an ...more
Linda Sims
May 12, 2015 Linda Sims rated it did not like it
Complete and utter rubbish, one of the worst books I've had the misfortune to read. It's hard to believe that a woman would write such tripe.
The book itself gets 2 stars because it's... well... pretty crazy, but my enjoyment of its OTT ridiculousness was at 5 so I'm splitting the difference at 4 stars (why not 3.5, you ask? Because it's my review and I do what I want).

This was a great little piece of 80s totally over the top angstastic fun. Let's be clear -- this book will not be for everyone. Luke and the ignominiously named Jenneth (I'm assuming her parents were Kenneth and Jennifer? Are people actually named this? Don't answer tha
I lapped up this for the brand of angst, tension and passion Penny Jordan wrote so well, even while disliking Luke for his stupidity! The plot could have been pulled out of an 80s soap opera, it was kind of crazy. (view spoiler) ...more
Sep 05, 2012 Tia rated it really liked it
The novel was great, right up until the end. At that point I could of happily shot the hero in the head for being such an idiot. Children are not responsible for their parents mistakes and the hero shouldn't have did what he did. It was stupid. It ruined some of the book.
Işık Türksün
Işık Türksün rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2014
Sanjana rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2016
Christine rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Kandyce Ellis
Kandyce Ellis rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2013
Susan rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2012
NINORE rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Hiker rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2013
Rebecca rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2013
Cathy Norfin
Cathy Norfin rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Avisha Beeharreea
Avisha Beeharreea rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2013
Kelleyj rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2011
Eny rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Reader in NJ
Reader in NJ rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2015
Alina Bu
Alina Bu rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Michelle rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2011
Travelbug rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Michelle rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2011
Lovemesomelove rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2015
Sherri rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2016
Angie Fournier
Angie Fournier rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Tarry rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Penelope Jones Halsall
aka Caroline Courtney, Annie Groves, Lydia Hitchcock, Melinda Wright

Penelope "Penny" Jones was born on November 24, 1946 at about seven pounds in a nursing home in Preston, Lancashire, England. She was the first child of Anthony Winn Jones, an engineer, who died at 85, and his wife Margaret Louise Groves Jones. She has a brother, Anthony, and a sister, Prudence "Pru".

She had
More about Penny Jordan...