Break and Enter: A Novel

Break and Enter: A Novel

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  10 reviews
By appearances Peter Scattergood leads a privileged life: a post as Assistant District Attorney, a loving wife, and a townhouse in Philadelphia's exclusive Society Hill. Assigned to an explosive homicide case--the murder of the mayor's nephew and the young man's beautiful mistress--the power and prestige he's always craved seem within his grasp.

But soon Peter's illusion of...more
Published January 7th 2002 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1990)

Robert Rosenthal
Jan 06, 2013 Robert Rosenthal rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: none
I am a fan of Colin Harrison, having read The Havana Room many years ago. I would still put it on my top 20 list of contemporary fiction. Therefore, I began Break and Enter with high expectations -- never a good idea I've discovered. This is a novel with lots of potential, but like many first efforts (in the Acknowledgments Harrison thanks his editor for taking on an unpublished author), it sadly falters. There are several reasons for this. But first, the positives. The depiction of Philadelphia...more
Sam Reaves
Anybody who still doubts that crime fiction can be literature needs to read Colin Harrison. What he does is not exactly mystery, not exactly suspense, just rich, ambitious novels about people and the crimes that change their lives. In this one, a Philadelphia prosecutor juggles the breakup of his marriage, a high-profile murder case and corruption on several levels. A great read from a very underrated novelist.
Kyra
Very different from the two other Colin Harrison novels I have read to date. Sort of a John Grisham wannabe. Rather clumsily assembled and not particularly gripping. When the descriptions of Philadelphia are more interesting than either the plot or the characters...there is something definitely missing.
Marti
This started out okay, and I enjoyed it, but then it seemed to get somewhat tediousl, then a little preposterous and off kilter. The Chicago Tribune blurb on the front cover said, "Unpredictable to the very last page, so I expected something more dramatic than the author delivered.
Amy
I was excited about this because it takes place in Philly, but the story just drags on and isn't as compelling as it sounds like it should be.

Note: as of 10/29/10, the summary for this book as listed on goodreads is not at all what the novel's about.
Etanouye
I didn't buy the ending. But the set-up was great, and his other books are worth reading -- thrillers without the bad writing that mars many other thrillers.

Gossip: He's married to Kathryn Harrison, author of "The Kiss"
Dave
An interesting book in which the main character was flawed and not terribly likable. The story kept me going however, and I am glad to have read it - good writing.
Peggy
I didn't particularly care for this book. There was just not much to it and a very boring ending.
Cws
M Har
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Bill Bean
Bill Bean is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2014
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Dan Martini
Dan Martini marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Tom Petot
Tom Petot marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Mamak
Mamak marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Sibusiso Ernest
Sibusiso Ernest marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Colin Harrison is a crime novelist. He is a vice president and senior editor at Scribner.
He lives in Park Slope, Brooklyn, with his wife, the writer Kathryn Harrison, and their three children (Sarah, Walker and Julia).

He attended: Haverford College, BA 1982; University of Iowa Writers' Workshop. MFA 1986

His short nonfiction has appeared in The New York Times, New York Magazine, The Washington Po...more
More about Colin Harrison...
The Finder The Havana Room Manhattan Nocturne Risk: A Novel Afterburn