Start by marking “Colors of Chaos” as Want to Read:
Colors of Chaos

Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #9)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,261 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The biggest fantasy from L. E. Modesitt, Jr. to date, Colors of Chaos is the story of the White Chaos wizard Cerryl: his education in life and love, and his rise to power in the magicians guild of Fairhaven. This is the direct sequel to The White Order, which told of Cerryl's boyhood and youth, and takes place at the same time as the events in Modesitt's earlier novel, The ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Tor Books (first published December 28th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Colors of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Colors of Chaos

Bryan Brown
Jun 01, 2015 Bryan Brown rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book concludes a sorta-trilogy of Recluse novels. The first one the White Order follows the story of Cerryl a white mage (turning grey) as he grows up and joins the White Order. The second, the Magic Engineer, follows the story of Dorrin a very black mage who is exiled from Recluse and goes through tribulations before returning to Recluse and being granted a small part of the island where he founds a new city. The Colors of Chaos, returns to follow the story of Cerryl and covers almost exac ...more
Yohann
Apr 23, 2016 Yohann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good story, but Cerryl swallows.

I've read this book a couple of times now, and I enjoy the overall story - predictable as it is. It is one of the more 'fleshed out' Recluce stories, and the characters are pretty enjoyable. Most characters have little depth to them, but this is standard - as we're following one character.

But man, Cerryl can be irritating - because he swallows!

Something goes wrong - Cerryl swallows.
Someone gets angry - Cerryl swallows.
Cerryl has a realization about something - Ce
Kurtbg
The Recluce saga continues... This book tells the story of what was happening on the white mage side of what was happening in the book, the Magic Engineer. The two story lines meet, then go their separate ways.

There's nothing much new to expect here, except for the telling of the sides *black order versus white chaos) of one story in two different books. The heroes are always good boy scouts characters who don't want to conform to contemporary parental standards, but want to build something and
Jeremy Preacher
Oct 01, 2011 Jeremy Preacher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I like Colors of Chaos only marginally less than The White Order (although I do like it less.) It's much broader in scope, as the coming-of-age story turns into a more traditional clawing-up-the-heirarchy story. Modesitt does politics and intrigue tolerably well, although his villains are always a little nihilistic for me, and this is one of his better efforts in that direction.

The real interest in this book is that it's a direct companion to The Magic Engineer - same timeframe, same events, tol
Tom Dillon
Jun 04, 2013 Tom Dillon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Anyone who spends any time talking to me about books has probably heard me say how much I like Modesitt's books, but this one probably has to be my favorite to date (although the Imager series has been fantastic as well). So what makes it stand out?

This book is the follow-up to the White Order, and it takes place at roughly the same time as The Magic Engineer, but from the other side. Seeing things from the perspective of Fairhaven, the "evil empire", was quite interesting but where this book re
Jordan Halsey
Jun 12, 2007 Jordan Halsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting addition to the Recluce Saga, revisting the time period already covered in The Magic Engineer from the point of view of the most sympathetic White Wizard, Cerryl. Very good job presenting the viewpoint and philosophy of the White Guild of Fairhaven, who were definitely the villains of The Magic Engineer, and their side of the argument against Recluce. The book changes your understanding of many of the events and characters from the previous novel. Especially the charac ...more
Christian
Jun 25, 2014 Christian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Colors of Chaos is one of my favorite installments in the Saga of Recluce. In this particular novel, which is technically the sequel to Colors of White, Mr. Modesitt provides Cerryl's point of view to the major events lived by Dorrin, Kadara and Brede in The Magic Engineer. Although some may find it somewhat boring to read about the same events twice, I personally think that it was masterfully done by the author. Those three books are definite "must reads"...
Gordon
Jan 08, 2014 Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The continuing story of Cerryl has gotten alot more interesting, and indepth. Following his beginning not nearly as interesting as it got with when he started having more power and choices at his disposal. Plus seeing the other side of the story from Dorrin was pretty cool. Still don't like the White side of chaos because of the way most of them twist things, and not to mention fairhaven is nothing but ordered and structured yet they just ignore that aspect of the city lol. Anyways a good contin ...more
Micaela
Jan 28, 2016 Micaela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best of the bunch.

The format is pretty much the same as all the other books, but the writing style is consistently decent and some of the magical moments are very interesting to read, and clear as to what is happening, which helps.
Mary Mackie
Jul 13, 2016 Mary Mackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazingly detailed. pulls you in! I enjoyed it very much.
Terescia
My favorite book of the series so far.
Avhiendhaphiragonald
Second book about Cerryl
Tim
Dec 18, 2011 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the second part of the story started in The White Order. Together they are another coming-of-age story like the first book, The Magic of Recluce. Shows things from the white mage perspective. Since they have been pretty much the villians in the previous books, this is quite an eye opener and is extremely well done. And it's a really fun book.

It's fun to read this book right after The Magic Engineer as the two books show the same events from radically different perspectives.

Melissa
Jan 25, 2014 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I personally found this book so boring I couldn't even bring myself to finish the last 150 pages.
Sophie
Jun 06, 2015 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the links between this and The Magic Engineer. Good to see the amount of thought that went into discussing the complexities of trade and government. Much more to it than I remember from the first time I read it.
Kyle
May 30, 2007 Kyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like coherent fantasy
Shelves: library
This series (Recluce) manages to have a relatively consistent high quality despite being really long. This book was just as engrossing as earlier ones, and finally breaks out of the classic main character mold in this series (young order mage developing powers, kicked out of some society or other).
Iain Kaslar
Jun 15, 2013 Iain Kaslar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l-e-modesitt-jr
a great sequel to the white order and gives a very interesting different perspective from those of the rest of the recluse saga as its based on the life on white wizards particularly ceryl.
Loretta
Reread, really enjoy the effect taxes, or tariffs, have on the economy. White mages aren't the only ones who just don't get it.
Ruth Ann
Jan 13, 2009 Ruth Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like all of the recluce series. This book and the White Order are my 2nd favorites though.
Jeffrey
Series is starting to get a little stale - which isn't surprising on the 9th book
Bob White
Apr 18, 2013 Bob White rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish it - could never get into it and kept putting it down.
Peter
May 06, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Vastly enjoyable series due tothe depth of the world building
Drew
Colors of Chaos (Saga of Recluce) by L. E. Modesitt (2000)
Yla
Jan 16, 2015 Yla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending was... exhilerating. A good read.
Nate
on of the last of the series that i read
Barrett
amszing book
Terry Woolverton
great
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
  • Fortress of Owls (Fortress, #3)
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)
  • Bonds of Vengeance (Winds of the Forelands, #3)
  • Prince of Demons (Renshai Chronicles, #2)
  • The Gathering Storm (Crown of Stars, #5)
  • Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2)
  • Mistress of the Catacombs (Lord of the Isles, #4)
  • Exile's Return (Conclave of Shadows, #3)
  • A Man Betrayed (Book of Words, #2)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

The Saga of Recluce (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)
  • Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)
  • Scion of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #11)

“The end is always the same. That's why what we do does matter. Good or bad, we die. If we bring some light and prosperity into the world, isn't that better than there being less light?” 0 likes