Start by marking “The Ideal Bride (Cynster #11)” as Want to Read:
The Ideal Bride (Cynster #11)

The Ideal Bride (Cynster #11)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  3,035 ratings  ·  79 reviews

New York Times bestselling author Stephanie Laurens has created some of romance's most unforgettable novels. Now she has created her most provocative love story—and amazing hero—to date. This is the book that dares to ask the question: Who is this man's ideal bride?
Michael Anstruther-Wetherby is a rising member of Parliament—a man destined for power. Aristocratic, elegant,...more
ebook
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Ideal Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ideal Bride

Kit★
Again with the Cynsters in RLftCI. We decided to go in chronological order instead of published order, so we'll be skipping around the series a bit from this one on. I was ready to read this one until the time came to do it. Then I found myself not in the right mood for a Laurens book. I had a hard time getting into it, and this time I don't think it was the author at fault. It took me until a little over halfway through before I was really interested. The characters were good in this one, both...more
Susan (susayq ~)
I'll be honest and say I didn't really care for the last couple of books in this series. While they were enjoyable, I was frustrated with the characters. Michael and Caro were a nice change. They were both strong characters that were likable.

Once again, I'm invested in the world of the Cynsters.
Netha
stephanie laurens pertama yg ku baca yg ngebuat aq ngotot pengen koleksi novel SL yg lain terutama yg cynster series.

ideal bride bercerita ttg Michael Anstruther-Wetherby (xixixixixi tumben ya aq inget nama lengkap begini???), seorang anggota parlemen. michael adl kakak ipar dari Devil Cynster, the Duke of St. Ives.
ingin mendapat posisi lebih tinggi tapi kondisi mengharuskan michael untuk segera menikah.
pandangannya jatuh pada ellisabeth (kagak ingat nama belakangnya). ellisabeth dari keluarga...more
Diana
BJ Rose
Even though she’s very accomplished in the diplomatic milieu, Caroline is determined not to act as a political or diplomatic hostess for any man ever again. But all that diplomatic experience made it almost easy for her to manage people without seeming to be a managing woman. So why can’t she manage Michael?

Michael has been very successful in his diplomatic career, but to be seriously considered for the next appointment, he must be a married man. So he chooses a young woman he thinks will be his...more
Sheila Melo
Really Liked This One Rating 4.5

THE IDEAL BRIDE is the eleventh Cynster series book. This book doesn't actually have a Cynster as a hero or heroine. It is the story of Honoria Cynster's brother Michael Anstruther-Wetherby who is now a Member of Parliament who has better prospects if he can only find himself a wife. He goes Tobias family home with the expectation that he will ask a neighbor to marry him. He soon discovers, however, that he is more interested in the young woman's aunt than in her....more
Kate
Another one of the Cynster series. However, this book marks the shift that takes place from concentrating on the Cynster family to the various brothers/cousins of the Cynster wives we met earlier in the series. At this stage (if reading in order) there has been only one example of this in Chillingworth's story All About Passion. It follows the typical formula for these books with a strong male who decides he has met the woman for him and will do anything to convince her that she wants him too. A...more
Alyn
I felt this book dragged way too much. There was way too many erotic scenes for me. I want to skip them but I don't because I feel that I might miss something...I don't. I know it is a mystery book too but I do not consider it to be much of a mystery if I figure out who the bad guy is a quarter of the way into the book.
Brenda (b)
I loved this story. Michael was wonderful. He could easily have been born a Cynster. I liked Caro too. She was confident in herself socially if not romantically. And there wasn't the sometimes bothersome reframe from her where she kept declaring that she wouldn't marry him.
Janalynn
Sep 20, 2010 Janalynn rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
When you read any romance novel, you expect a little skin but this book had way too much. I skipped over nearly a third of the book because there was so much. It was boring.
Tiff's*Addictiontobooks
This book was just OK. It was slow moving and I never felt excited while reading it. It took me much longer to read than most books do.
Helene Harrison
ISBN? - 9780749937263

Genre? - Historical / Romance / Erotica

Characters? - Michael Anstruther-Wetherby / Caroline Sutcliffe / Honoria Cynster / Devil/Sylvester Cynster / Elizabeth Morrison

Setting? - England

Series? - Cynster #11

Title? - The title makes it sound like it's a marriage of convenience, but really it's about how what makes an ideal bride is never what you expect.

Character Analysis? - The protagonist isn't actually a Cynster, but a relative of one of the Cynster wives (as a lot of the ne...more
Deirdre
Michael Anstruther-Wetherby needs a wife to rise further in Parliament and fixes his sights on a young lady only to find an obstacle in the form of her aunt, the young widow Caroline Sutcliffe.

Caroline isn't really interested in marriage, her previous experience has her a bit embittered, however Michael is attractive and atttentive and distracting. She's also finding that life as a widow doesn't allow her to follow her ability to steer a diplomat's life.

The two of them are great together and sep...more
LaFleurBleue
Some differences with the previous instalments in this series : the hero needs a wife for professional reasons, has his mind set on practical and pragmatic requirements and not much expectations regarding romance. However his aim is an enjoyable marriage of convenience, so to say.
The heroine is a widow, who married very young, was and is still very accomplished socially but quite unsure of herself personnally speaking.
There was for once a good reason why Caro did not want to marry but was perfec...more
Sylvia Harris
I enjoyed the plot it was different. I liked that the male character had to out think and plan to convince his prospective wife that they would suit. In doing so, he had to be sensitive and compassionate enough to discover what made her so reluctant to marry.
Lucía Herrero
Es una de esas historias de amor que empiezan de una forma casi inesperada, porque ella no quiere ningún tipo de relación y él ha puesto sus ojos en otra mujer, pero poco a poco y sin pretenderlo, se van acercando. Ella es una protagonista interesante: joven pero viuda, toda una personalidad en su mundo y con fama de difícil, o incluso de imposible. Él es lo opuesto a un mujeriego, de entrada hasta parece un poco estirado, pero luego... Bueno, pues eso, que las cosas no son siempre lo que parece...more
Jessi
Michael Anstruther-Wetherby knows that he needs to find wife. His job as a cabinet minister is such that he needs to be married in order to move up in the world. He thinks that he has found the perfect wife in his neighbor's daughter, Elizabeth Morrison.
However, what he doesn't know is that the lady is interested in someone else. To that end, she has enlisted her aunt's help in fobbing Michael off. Caroline Sutcliffe was the wife of an ambassador and knows how to play the political games. She k...more
Maggie
I am surprised at how much I disliked this book. I dunno if it was because the narrator was different than the other Cynster audio books I've "read" or if the story just didn't grab me. My goal was/is to read all the Cynster books in order and on audio, unfortunately I had to skip 10 and go to 11 because I am stuck in a blizzard and can't get to the library to get book 10, book 11 was available at online download so I grabbed it. I don't think listening to bk 10 first would have helped. Luckily...more
Ada Iaboni
I've read several of Stephanie's books. Some are good and some not so good. This one is one of the ones that was not good. The story is flimsy at best, and the threat took for ever to materialize.
The book was over 400 pages... way too long. It may have been better is it was 250 pages and got to the point much faster.
Tonya Warner
Caro has set out to save her niece from having to give up the man she loves, to be the wife of the up-and-coming politican Michael. She had already suffered from a similar situation and would do all she could to direct Michael's attention away from Elizabeth.

Michael needs to be married to further his political career. He thought that though Elizabeth was young, she would make an ideal bride. Coming back in to contact with the widowed Caro, sets his blood on fire. Trying to win her away from her...more
Peggy N
This book was a little complicated to get interested in and I was easily distracted from it, but after the first 50 pages it was more interesting and it kept my interest. The main Characters are interesting as are their lives. Michael a member of Parliment and "Caro" a widowed foreign ambassador's wife meet after years and their meeting she hoped would assist her in disuading him from "offering" for her neice Elizabeth's hand. She did not know that not only would she be successful, but then his...more
Christine
Politician Michael Anstruther-Wetherby is in need of a wife. Thinking he's met the perfect woman, he sets off to learn more about her and surprisingly finds himself drawn to her widowed aunt, Caroline Sutcliffe. As Michael redirects his energies to Caro, Caro finds herself drawn to Michael but doesn't want to be trapped in another political marriage. As they navigate their relationship, like most romance novels, they have to solve a mystery that ultimately brings them closer together.

Laurens di...more
Academicsupport
The Cynster series is truly addictive, which testifies to the author's skill and imagination.
Lucrethia Clark
audio book a little hard to follow accent.
Kerin
eLibrary. Michael Ansthruther-Wetherby, brother of Honoria Cynster, has progressed nicely in his political career, now for advancement he needs to find a wife and fulfill the home life of a politician. He has his sights set on a young daughter of a just retired politician, Elizabeth, but she is in love with her aunt's secretary, Edward. With the help of her aunt Cora they portray Elizabeth as not politician wife material, and end up giving way to feelings between Cora and Michael.
Ashley
at least he wants her for her brain, but still can't a guy just admit to falling in love without having to tie it all back to some sort of gain for them. And why do they always feel the need to tell their suppose soon to be wife their stupid reasons for marrying her, just say you love them and get it over with before the last pages of the book please...enough rant, it is a great book though the series is getting a little stretched thin!!
Lisa Lindsey
I'm a huge fan of the Cynster Series and Michael definitely isn't a Cynster! I don't think I would have been quite as hard on him if he wasn't being compared to characters like Devil Cynster. The story was a bit slow, but I do like is that for once the heroine had a self assurance and place in the world outside of the Hero. Michael needs Caro more than she needs him... Especially when is came to his career.
Sheila
It should have been great--it had a really interesting setup, an independent heroine, a different setting than your usual Regency (in the diplomatic/political world instead of the upper nobility; the hero is an MP), and a mystery.

Instead, I felt like I was being strung along by the plot, the heroine kind of weirded me out, and there was one sex scene with the purplest prose that ever purpled. Euch.
Allison Fetch
This wasn't one of my favorite Cynster novels, though I did enjoy it enough to finish it. The characters were too stodgy, even though they were quite the hurricane in the bedroom. If I read the phrase "social mask" one more time I was ready to scream! The mystery part of the book was entertaining though I thought it took too long to ramp up. Hopefully the next one will be better.
Kristi
I liked that the hero, Michael, wasn't the complete blueprint male (angry alpha male) that Laurens had been using. I'm hoping to see more variations in the rest of her series. Caro, the heroine, was a little flat emotionally, but not so that it made me dislike her. I liked Michael & Caro's relathionship progression which made their romantic HEA satisfying.
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1)
  • Tempted At Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #4)
  • Captive of My Desires (Malory-Anderson Family, #8)
  • The Devilish Pleasures of a Duke (Boscastle, #6)
  • Slightly Tempted (Bedwyn Saga, #4)
  • Beware Of Virtuous Women (Romney Marsh, #3)
  • The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown (Lady Whistledown, #1)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie...more
More about Stephanie Laurens...
Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1) A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2) A Secret Love (Cynster, #5) Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3) A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)