Start by marking “Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 (Otherworld Stories, #8.1; The Chronicles of the Black Company 0.3)” as Want to Read:

Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 (Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy #2)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy, published in 2008 to widespread critical and popular acclaim, provided a unique showcase for some of our finest practitioners of dark, disturbing fiction. This much anticipated second volume more than meets the standards set by its predecessor, offering a diverse assortment of stories guaranteed to delight, unsettle, and enthrall.

Table
Published March 31st 2011 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about Subterranean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Subterranean

Alytha
I won a copy of Tales of Dark Fantasy on Pat's Fantasy Hotlist. As alluded to by the title, this is a collection of 11 fantasy short stories with a dark twist.
In general, it's quite good, with some unfortunate exceptions.

Some honorable mentions:

The Passion of Mother Vajpai by Jay Lake and Shannon Page: although this is not explicitly stated, this story might be set in Lake's City Imperishable. It's about the final test of a young female assassin student, who is confronted with a task rather mor
Fantasy Literature
EDITOR INFORMATION: William K. Schafer is the head editor at Subterranean Press, which was founded in 1995. Schafer’s bibliography includes Embrace the Mutation: Fiction Inspired by the Art of J.K. Potter and the first Tales of Dark Fantasy anthology.

ABOUT SUBTERRANEAN: TALES OF DARK FANTASY 2: Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy — published in 2008 to widespread critical and popular acclaim — provided a unique showcase for some of our finest practitioners of dark, disturbing fiction. This much
Vicki G
I bought this b/c of Joe Hill's story, Wolverton Station, but I liked the second story a lot. I hadn't heard of Jay Lake or Shannon Page. Even though there were lesbian love scenes, it didn't bother me to hear about it. I guess, from my view, you have to write about it a certain way. Until now, I'd never read scenes of gay lovemaking without feeling like the author who wrote it was uncomfortable doing so. These authors weren't uncomfortable so it came out natural-sounding, as if it could have be ...more
Orrin Grey
Aug 18, 2011 Orrin Grey added it
Shelves: unfinished
I got this from the library but wasn't able to get through it. Not because it was bad at all, I just didn't have the time right now, and have too many other things to read. I'd specifically checked it out for two stories ("The Dappled Thing" by William Browning Spencer and "Vampire Lake" by Norman Partridge) and I read both of them, and they were both great.

Maybe sometime when things are a little less hectic I'll check it out again and read the rest of the stories...
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Chivalrous, Otherworld Stories 8.1 by Kelley Armstrong

This was brand new to me, which was a surprise, b/c I'd thought I'd read all of the most recent additions to this series.

It's a Reese POV, and as one of the newer members of the pack, I'm very interested in his back story that previously had only been hinted at in the main books.

All that skittishness in regards to Pack wolves? Well . . . turns out he had good reason. VERY good reason. I'm looking forward to him eventually getting the reveng
Wm
The good news: there are some very good and some very interesting stories here and I don't think there's a really clunker or howler in the entire bunch.

The bad news: there are several stories that are rather underwhelming and/or have weak endings.

Recommended for: dark fantasy fans; KJ Parker worshippers; Glen Cook completists; urban fantasy sophisticates

Not recommended for: anyone who is turned off by George R. R. Martin-level sex, violence and profanity (although actually there's less but just
Rob
Jan 08, 2014 Rob rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf-f
I quite enjoyed the K.J. Parker short story (itself almost entirely worth the price of admission). The Glen Cook and Steven R. Boyett stories were quite enjoyable as well. The rest of the stories might as well be pulped--nothing of value for me in them.
Jeremy Preacher
I am a big fan of fantasy and not so big a fan of horror, so I mostly liked the less dark of this definitely dark collection. They were all pretty solid - "The Passion of Mother Vajpai" and "Not Last Night but the Night Before" were particularly brilliant, in my view. It's a good collection of authors, and if "Dark Fantasy" is an imperfect intersection of genre for my personal tastes, it doesn't mean the collection isn't solid.
Kaylynn
I only read the stories by Glen Cook, Steven R. Boyett, and K.J. Parker. I really liked those three. I didn't read the others because my husband had warned me off them because they had too much R-rated content.
Carrie
I bought this because of Kelley Armstrong's short story which tells the story of Reece, introduced in one of her earlier novels. I enjoyed his story. I had not read any of the other authors before. Some I liked and will now consider buying - a few stories weren't to my taste but will likely be enjoyed by others.
Brandon
Any book with a new Black Company story is going to be good. I enjoyed most of the other stories as well. It was a little more urban fantasy than I was expecting, but there was only one vampire story so that was okay.
Amy Gideon
I only read Kelley Armstrong's contribution to this collection, so my rating is for this story only. It's a great installment to her Otherworld series.
Tez
Nov 05, 2014 Tez marked it as dnf
I beta-read Kelley Armstrong's CHIVALROUS, so if she got the Aussie bits wrong...that would be my fault ;-)
Adrienne
Dec 18, 2010 Adrienne marked it as to-read
Has a Black Company story in it - I will have to read it and hope it's a good one.
Angelique
This rating only regers to the short story "Chivalrous" by Kelly Armstrong.
Angel

Jul 14, 2013 Joanne added it
Shelves: a-paper-book
Read Chivalrous - 4*'s
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
infael
infael marked it as to-read
Heather M.
Heather M. marked it as to-read
Mariano Fernandez
Mariano Fernandez marked it as to-read
Carlos Eduardo
Carlos Eduardo marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Katie Higgins
Katie Higgins marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Megan
Megan added it
Mar 07, 2015
Elke
Elke marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)
  • The Ungrateful Dead (Otherworld Stories, #8.2)
  • The Ammonite Violin & Others
  • The Bitten Word
  • By Blood We Live

Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy (2 books)
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy
Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy California Sorcery Subterranean Magazine Summer 2013 (Subterranean Magazine) The Book of Silverberg Subterranean Magazine Fall 2013