Start by marking “Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 (Otherworld Stories, #8.1; The Chronicles of the Black Company 0.3)” as Want to Read:

Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 (Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy #2)

Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy, published in 2008 to widespread critical and popular acclaim, provided a unique showcase for some of our finest practitioners of dark, disturbing fiction. This much anticipated second volume more than meets the standards set by its predecessor, offering a diverse assortment of stories guaranteed to delight, unsettle, and enthrall.

Table
Published March 31st 2011 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about Subterranean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Subterranean

Alytha
Jan 08, 2012 Alytha rated it liked it
I won a copy of Tales of Dark Fantasy on Pat's Fantasy Hotlist. As alluded to by the title, this is a collection of 11 fantasy short stories with a dark twist.
In general, it's quite good, with some unfortunate exceptions.

Some honorable mentions:

The Passion of Mother Vajpai by Jay Lake and Shannon Page: although this is not explicitly stated, this story might be set in Lake's City Imperishable. It's about the final test of a young female assassin student, who is confronted with a task rather mor
Deyara
Sep 23, 2015 Deyara is currently reading it
Wolverton station / Joe Hill -- Fine, nothing too exciting.

The passion of Mother Vajpai / Jay Lake and Shannon Page -- Hated Green so wasnt expecting much but actually enjoyed this. Glad it was a short though.

Chivalrous / Kelley Armstrong -- Liked this one a lot. Heart-breaking though. Made me sad!

Smelling danger: a Black Company story / Glen Cook -- Didnt like it at all. Didnt really get what was going on and didnt enjoy the style.

The dappled thing / William Browning Spencer -- Okay, not my cup
Vicki G
May 25, 2011 Vicki G rated it liked it
I bought this b/c of Joe Hill's story, Wolverton Station, but I liked the second story a lot. I hadn't heard of Jay Lake or Shannon Page. Even though there were lesbian love scenes, it didn't bother me to hear about it. I guess, from my view, you have to write about it a certain way. Until now, I'd never read scenes of gay lovemaking without feeling like the author who wrote it was uncomfortable doing so. These authors weren't uncomfortable so it came out natural-sounding, as if it could have be ...more
Fantasy Literature
Jul 01, 2013 Fantasy Literature rated it really liked it
EDITOR INFORMATION: William K. Schafer is the head editor at Subterranean Press, which was founded in 1995. Schafer’s bibliography includes Embrace the Mutation: Fiction Inspired by the Art of J.K. Potter and the first Tales of Dark Fantasy anthology.

ABOUT SUBTERRANEAN: TALES OF DARK FANTASY 2: Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy — published in 2008 to widespread critical and popular acclaim — provided a unique showcase for some of our finest practitioners of dark, disturbing fiction. This much
Orrin Grey
Oct 20, 2010 Orrin Grey added it
Shelves: unfinished
I got this from the library but wasn't able to get through it. Not because it was bad at all, I just didn't have the time right now, and have too many other things to read. I'd specifically checked it out for two stories ("The Dappled Thing" by William Browning Spencer and "Vampire Lake" by Norman Partridge) and I read both of them, and they were both great.

Maybe sometime when things are a little less hectic I'll check it out again and read the rest of the stories...
Tzu-Mainn Chen
Mar 21, 2016 Tzu-Mainn Chen rated it liked it
This is neither a great anthology nor a terrible one. It is slightly misleading, as the stories aren't uniformly 'dark fantasy'. There's light and romance, high fantasy and humorous fantasy, wistfulness and uplift.

And to be honest, I kinda liked the anthology that way, with me starting each story not knowing what to expect. It allowed me to hold back my expectations and come into each new tale with an open mind. Most of them were forgettable. Some felt incomplete. A couple of them were great.

In
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Chivalrous, Otherworld Stories 8.1 by Kelley Armstrong

This was brand new to me, which was a surprise, b/c I'd thought I'd read all of the most recent additions to this series.

It's a Reese POV, and as one of the newer members of the pack, I'm very interested in his back story that previously had only been hinted at in the main books.

All that skittishness in regards to Pack wolves? Well . . . turns out he had good reason. VERY good reason. I'm looking forward to him eventually getting the reveng
Wm
Jul 10, 2011 Wm rated it liked it
The good news: there are some very good and some very interesting stories here and I don't think there's a really clunker or howler in the entire bunch.

The bad news: there are several stories that are rather underwhelming and/or have weak endings.

Recommended for: dark fantasy fans; KJ Parker worshippers; Glen Cook completists; urban fantasy sophisticates

Not recommended for: anyone who is turned off by George R. R. Martin-level sex, violence and profanity (although actually there's less but just
Jeremy Preacher
Jul 15, 2011 Jeremy Preacher rated it liked it
I am a big fan of fantasy and not so big a fan of horror, so I mostly liked the less dark of this definitely dark collection. They were all pretty solid - "The Passion of Mother Vajpai" and "Not Last Night but the Night Before" were particularly brilliant, in my view. It's a good collection of authors, and if "Dark Fantasy" is an imperfect intersection of genre for my personal tastes, it doesn't mean the collection isn't solid.
Carrie
May 20, 2011 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I bought this because of Kelley Armstrong's short story which tells the story of Reece, introduced in one of her earlier novels. I enjoyed his story. I had not read any of the other authors before. Some I liked and will now consider buying - a few stories weren't to my taste but will likely be enjoyed by others.
Kaylynn
Jan 07, 2014 Kaylynn rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f
I only read the stories by Glen Cook, Steven R. Boyett, and K.J. Parker. I really liked those three. I didn't read the others because my husband had warned me off them because they had too much R-rated content.
Rob
Jan 08, 2014 Rob rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f
I quite enjoyed the K.J. Parker short story (itself almost entirely worth the price of admission). The Glen Cook and Steven R. Boyett stories were quite enjoyable as well. The rest of the stories might as well be pulped--nothing of value for me in them.
Brandon
Jun 05, 2011 Brandon rated it really liked it
Any book with a new Black Company story is going to be good. I enjoyed most of the other stories as well. It was a little more urban fantasy than I was expecting, but there was only one vampire story so that was okay.
Yvensong
I received this by accident, and I hope that whoever had originally put this on hold at the library finally gets it.

As with most anthologies, some of the stories are really good, while others are so so. On the whole, I enjoyed more of the stories.
Tez
Sep 12, 2011 Tez marked it as dnf
I beta-read Kelley Armstrong's CHIVALROUS, so if she got the Aussie bits wrong...that would be my fault ;-)
Josie
Jul 03, 2013 Joanne added it
Shelves: a-paper-book
Read Chivalrous - 4*'s
Amy Gideon
I only read Kelley Armstrong's contribution to this collection, so my rating is for this story only. It's a great installment to her Otherworld series.
Bea
Sep 15, 2011 Aine marked it as anthology
Read:

"Chivalrous" by Kelley Armstrong
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Nicola
Nicola rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2014
Renee
Renee rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2011
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Rosemary Potter
Rosemary Potter rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Jamie Forster
Jamie Forster rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2012
Olivier Arsac
Olivier Arsac rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead (Otherworld Stories #10.1)
  • Kitsunegari (Otherworld Stories, #9.1)
  • The Bitten Word
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)
  • The Ammonite Violin & Others
  • By Blood We Live

Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy (2 books)
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy