Start by marking “The Innocent” as Want to Read:
The Innocent

The Innocent (Jack Marconi #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  451 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Getting caught is simply not an option. It's been a year since Jack Marconi's wife was killed. Ever since, he's been slipping up at his job as warden at an upstate New York prison. It makes him the perfect patsy when a cop-killer breaks out--with the help of someone on the inside. Throwing himself into the hunt for the fleeing con, Jack doesn't see what's coming.
Nook, "Re-Edited" Edition, 350 pages
Published October 6th 2010 by StoneGate Ink (first published September 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Innocent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Innocent

Jenny Hilborne
This is a great read. You'll feel like you were inside Greenhaven Prison, that you witnessed the Attica riots and you feel the helplessness of the corrections officers working the overcrowded prison. The Innocent kept me engaged throughout and I was sorry when it ended. Loved it.
Cheryl "Mash"
The Innocent by Vincent Zandri
Published by StoneGate Ink
ISBN-13: 2940011815430
ISBN: 0011815434
At both the author's and blog owner's request, an EBook edition was purchased by me, for my honest opinion.
Synopsis (borrowed from Amazon): Getting caught is simply not an option.
Giovanni Gelati

Personally I don’t know how the guy does it time after time after time. I am going to admit to having read most of his work, not all of it, but most of it. The thing that always sticks with me about his writing is the depth and humanity he adds to his characters. Here is what the novel is about: “Getting caught is simply not an option.
Benjamin Sobieck
Book three in my Vincent Zandri marathon was "The Innocent." It kicks off the Keeper Marconi series, which focuses on a prison warden who makes a career change to kicking ass outside the iron house, not in it.

In a nutshell, "The Innocent" once again finds Keeper set up. This time, he takes the fall for a prisoner who escaped during a dental appointment. He's got to find the prisoner and figure out how to clear his name.

Actually, "this time" would be inaccurate, as I read "The Innocent" before I
Molly
Feb 14, 2011 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all crime lovers
Recommended to Molly by: PUYB
Another winner from the great VZ! Yep, you heard right! Another wonderfully, fast paced, thrilling suspense novel from the great Vincent Zandri! I was so pleased to be able to be squeezed in on this blog tour to review yet another great novel by Vincent. I read both Moonlight Falls and The Remains for previous tours, and of course, with out a doubt, LOVED those books.Zandri's novels are just WOWtastic! His writing style is unique enough to be different yet bold enough to make hit sellers!

In The
Martha Cheves
The Innocent – Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat

‘I was their warden.
I was their keeper, their mother and their father.
Which is why, for me, the matter of Eduard Vasquez’s escape was such a serious offence. I had signed the release form allowing him to visit a dentist on the outside. As the keeper of Green Haven, I was directly responsible It was my decision and my decision only. What I mean is, I could have said no. But then, I couldn’t just deny a prisoner his right to p
Cyn Bagley
Here is the book that started the entire Jack "Keeper" Marconi series. In this story Keeper is the warden of a prison that is filled with corruption especially drugs. And then Vasquez the notorious cop-killer and drug dealer escapes from prison after a trip to the dentist. Keeper has been signing the chits to let him go - a civil rights issue.

Unfortunately, the escape falls on Keeper's shoulders. And when Keeper finds evidence that would show that his two CO's in charge of Vasquez's dental visi
April
Edgy, real and entrapping. The Innocent will take you on a trip not soon forgotten!

If you haven't heard the name Vincent Zandri, you are truly missing out on an amazing author. His talent for entrapping the reader within his stories and flinging them, head first, into never-ending action is remarkable. In The Innocent, we meet Warden Jack Marconi, a man who is mourning the sudden lose of his beloved wife, after she was killed in a horrific way, a year ago. Since her death, the warden has been le
Donna Halloran
3 1/2 stars. Very nice crime drama. Jack Marconi, a lead character, is introduced. At this point, he is the warden of a large prison in New York. I enjoyed the book and the character and would read more but... Jack has flashbacks throughout the book to one of his first jobs - he worked at Attica and was taken captive during the Attica Riots. The Attica Riots is something I had heard about but knew very little about. I was intrigued by what was written in this book. It turns out, however, that th ...more
Yvonne
For years Jack “Keeper” Marconi has been the warden at Green Haven Prison. After his beloved wife dies in an accident, he loses his focus and gives permission for one of his inmates to have a dental appointment outside the prison. This turns out to be one of the biggest mistakes he could have made. Cop-killer, Eduardo Vasquez, escapes leaving Jack accused of not having his mind on his job. The media, as well as his boss, make him the scapegoat but Jack quickly finds out there’s a much bigger con ...more
Lori Henrich
Jack "The Keeper" Marconi is the warden of Green Haven prison in upstate New York. His career is going along pretty well until a prisoner escapes while on a trip to a dentist outside the prison. Jack doesn't believe the two guards that were with the prisoner at the time he escaped and decides to do an investigating on his own.

Jack finds out that everything is as it seems and he winds up on the run. His investigation turns up a web of deception that he never expected. He is still dealing with fla
Kyle  Uniss
I really wish there was a way to give a half a star-I really want to give this book 4 1/2 stars. Very crime noir in the old school sense. Jack Marconi is a warden at a NY Prison in the late 90's, and he seems to have been a really great 'keeper until his wife was killed a year before the story begins. Since her death he is, under his own admission, floating through life and his job.

A prison break by a cop killer causes Marconi to wake up. A conspiracy is uncovered, but the full extent isn't know
Bri Clark
After I read this book I had the craziest dream that was a cross between the novels The Innocent, The Shining and the tv shows Paranormal State and Sisterwives. That's what Vincent Zandri does...it's his magic power...his books take you to the depths of your morality, emotions and imagination. When you fall asleep after reading his work you are left asking yourself questions, "Would I have done the same thing? How would I have reacted? Do men really look at women when they stretch?"
Ok so that la
Shelly Burch
love a good crime novel and was excited to read a new author, especially after reading such great reviews of Vincent Zandri's other works. Unfortunately I was quite disappointed with "The Innocent." Yes, it's an easy read, but it's just a little cliché for my taste. Zandri used the usual elements for his story: a scarred hero, a misunderstood female who is a bit of an intellectual but easily abused, the loyal female sidekick, and the usual group of criminal types who all have a good reason for ...more
Gaile
Haven't finished it but am really enjoying it. Can hardly put it down. It is about a warden of a prison in NY. He has a prisoner that escapes while going to a dentist. It talks about their experience when they had the uprising at Attica and how it affected their lives. The warden is blamed for the escape and the 2 guards that were transporting the prisoner hardly have a scratch on them but one of them winds up in the hospital and eventually dies. Turns out there is a scheme of drug running invol ...more
Phyllis Quesnel
Intriguing

Suspenseful, somewhat predictable. Good read! I liked the various character descriptions as well as the flashbacks to the Atica experience!
Erin Duffy
I usually don't like this kind of book. I like this kind of movie--and this book would make a good movie. But I was looking for something different to read and gave this book a try. I really enjoyed it--especially the first part. (in this kind of book, the farther in, the more it stretches credulity). I also like the weaving of the current story with a story from the character's past. That gave the story depth and legs.

I read it in three sittings-- really couldn't put it down without a lot of w
Kelly
Liked the story a lot. The flashbacks were handled well. Nice pacing and twists leave the reader guessing. The reason for the four star rating instead of five was editing. While there were only a couple errors that I remember, one of them was on a character name. I don't like being pulled out of the story with errors like that. I get distracted by trying to figure out if I am not remembering the name right.

Warning: A little graphic in places both from a sexual standpoint and blood as well.

I will
Glenda Ricord
May 08, 2011 Glenda Ricord rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes light mysteries
This book was a quick and easy read. It is about a prison warden thrown in the middle corruption in the prison system and being set up by former friends to take the fall for the escate of a dangerous cop killer while on a trip to a dentist outside the prison.

There is lots of talk about drinking alcohol. Of course, maybe if I was in that situation I'd be drinking too but I felt it was not necessary in the plot of this book.

All in all, I enjoyed this book. It's easy and quick to read. Not as goo
Michael Parker
Zandri is a good writer. Reminded me of the Mike Hammer stories and Dragnet. The Innocent was well written but for me it lacked tension. Zandri seemed to spend a great deal of time going back over the reasons why the characters were in the muddle they were in. It was as if he wanted to keep reminding the readers in case they forgot why the main character, Keeper was in trouble. A good story, well told, but could have done with more cliff-hanging, chapter endings to give the story that 'can't put ...more
Benoit Lelievre
Fantastic novel, albeit very dark. THE INNOCENT is an astonishing tale of survival and the toll it takes on the human soul. Not only Zandri has drawn a great character in Keeper Marconi, but the strange, unhealthy symbiosis which he lives in with his co-survivors from Attica prison riots is downright fascinating. Blood binds, whether it runs in your vein or it's spilled on the floor. Gripping, sophisticated and infernal. This book was too good to be kept under the rug by a publisher.
Kate
very good!!
D.g. Gass
The Innocent was my first introduction to both Jack Marconi and his creator, Vincent Zandri. The story flowed effortlessly from one action packed scene to the next. Well written, I was able to get caught up into this story, where I was envisioning Bogie in the role of Jack Marconi.

While I’m not a big fan of literary noir, Zandri may have just converted me. Looking forward to reading the rest of the Jack Marconi series, as well as other Vincent Zandri books.
Rease
This novel is a little slow at times but overall really interesting. It's sad how believable all the corruption and backstabbing within the criminal justice system is, but that really adds to the novel's draw. Some of the relationships and social interactions are a little forced or predictable, but the heart of the story is the chase for proving innocence and that part is done very well.
Martha
Should not have started this book yet. It's sooo good & I'm baby-sitting the grandsons! Ah well, maybe they'll take a nice long nap after lunch lol
I will definitely be reading more of Vincent's work. I'll be getting The Remains in abt 3 wks so I have some good reading ahead!!

I really, really enjoyed this book. Loved the characters & how the story developed.
Tanya
I don't know if it was just the Kindle app, but this book had a lot of spelling and formatting errors, which made it feel quite amateurish. The story was interesting enough, but I didn't particularly like any of the characters. That makes a big difference for me. Still, it made a long plane ride go by more quickly.
Jan
An interesting read with twist and turns! Imagine a prison warden being taken over by his own fellow CO's he knew years ago as a CO himself when they had endured a prison riot together and he's on the run trying to prove he didn't do any of the things he's accused of years later to stay out of prison himself!
Kathy Ridge
Brutal but ok read - storyline is interesting but the Attica prison scenes are very hard - did human beings really behave like that? I am now onto research to learn what really went on behind the prison walls during that riot. Purchased this for $.99 on Kindle - definitely ok read for that.
Carol
It kept me interested, to see where the writer was going with this book. An upstate New york prison warden loses an inmate. Now he tries to find out if it was a simple escape or something more sinister. I figured it out after reading 20%, but still interesting to see if I was right.
Pmcdnld2
First time I've read this author-I did like the book. A prison warden is set up to take the fall for an escaped cop-killer. As he tries to clear his name, a huge conspiracy involving the corrections system is uncovered and the bad guys end up dead or in prison.
قراء كيندل فى مصر...: The Innocent is FREE 1 31 Mar 24, 2012 10:04AM
The Innocent to be Pub'd by Thomas and Mercer 2 8 Sep 16, 2011 03:06PM
Mysterious Writers Interview 1 4 Oct 16, 2010 04:31PM
  • The Shepherd
  • No Good Deed (Mark Taylor, #1)
  • The Devil's Hour (Laura Cardinal #3)
  • Little Girl Gone (Logan Harper, #1)
  • The Maverick Experiment
  • The Justice Game
  • Eyewall
  • Trojan Horse
  • A World I Never Made
  • RIPTIDE (Jake Lassiter, #11)
  • You Can't Stop Me (Crime Seen #1)
  • Never Back Down
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • Revenge (Travis Mays, #1)
  • Killer
  • The Fall Guy
  • Riptide
  • Sunrise
OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.vincentzandri.com/

Vincent Zandri is the NEW YORK TIMES and USA TODAY bestselling author of THE INNOCENT, GODCHILD, THE REMAINS, MOONLIGHT FALLS, THE CONCRETE PEARL, MOONLIGHT RISES, SCREAM CATCHER, BLUE MOONLIGHT, MURDER BY MOONLIGHT, THE GUILTY, MOONLIGHT SONATA, MOONLIGHT WEEPS, FULL MOONLIGHT, LOST GRACE, THE SHROUD KEY, and the forthcoming, EVERYTHING BURNS. He is
More about Vincent Zandri...

Jack Marconi (3 books)
  • Godchild
  • The Guilty
Everything Burns The Remains The Shroud Key (A Chase Baker Thriller) Moonlight Falls: Dick Moonlight Godchild

“Because when it comes to memories, what counts is not accuracy, but the feelings they call up.” 2 likes
“The trick was learning to live without the grief and without the guilt. The trick was to create a life worth living, a life no longer conscious of death.” 0 likes