Start by marking “In His Own Write” as Want to Read:
In His Own Write

In His Own Write (John Lennon)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,133 Ratings  ·  161 Reviews
About The Awful

I was bored on the 9th of Octover 1940 when, I believe, the Nasties were still booming us led by Madolf Heatlump (who only had one). Anyway they didn't get me. I attended to varicous schools in Liddypol. And still didn't pass -- much to my Aunties supplies. As a member of the most publified Beatles my (P, G, and R's) records might seem funnier to some of

Published October 10th 2000 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about In His Own Write, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In His Own Write

John
Apr 13, 2008 John rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am a John Lennon fan... but this is complete crap.

If you think that this book is any good, I bet you like the cut and colour of the Emporers New Clothes too.
Sophie
Jul 22, 2010 Sophie rated it it was amazing
Total and complete nonsense.
I enjoyed it completely though.
Most of the time, I didn't understand a word that was written, but sometimes I would catch on and see his little tweaks to words like 'in the jumble... the mighty jumble' instead of 'jungle'.
Some of the passages will make you scrunch up your eyebrows in confusion, but by the end of the story or poem, you're laughing. If you're a John Lennon fan, that is- or, at least, you have a good sense of humor and aren't very particular in your lite
Paige
May 03, 2016 Paige rated it liked it
Oh John (or #jawn if you have the misfortune of following me on Tumblr), how I love to hate you and hate to love you.

Honestly, I surprised myself by even picking this up considering he's my least favorite Beatle, but on my never ending quest to absorb as much Beatle knowledge and material as possible, I figured I'd give this a quick read.

I think the part I liked most about this little...whatever you'll call it, was Paul's (#pol, again for the Tumblr reference) introduction. He prefaces this mis
Lily
Sep 03, 2012 Lily rated it really liked it
In my edition In His Own Write is paired with A Spaniard In The Works, but I guess I'll write the reviews separately. Also, Paul McCartney not Yoko Ono wrote the introduction, and, frankly, I can only be grateful, because Paul gives the readers a good advice - the stories don't have to make sense and there is no need to look for a hidden meaning: "if it seems funny then that's enough".

It was often funny and sad at times, but brilliant all the way through. John Lennon had a knack for words and an
J.P.
Jun 23, 2008 J.P. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: poetry fans, Beatles fans
Mary
People will say 'This book is absolute crap!'...They are dead wrong! They obviously have a short attention spam because this book is so meaningful! If you are willing to read this book, i suggest to take your time and read it slowly, if you don't, you will find yourself putting the book down after the very first poem! Make sure you spend time to think deeply about every word, you will find it much more enjoyable! i understand that not many people understand Liverpudlian but that is no excuse to ...more
Garrett Zecker
Mar 20, 2013 Garrett Zecker rated it it was ok
Meh. Okay, so I have been over the Beatles for a while now. I was fascinated for a time, but now I am over them. Someday I anticipate I will no longer be over them and will be touting their brilliance like everyone else seems to, but I am over it. But that is not to say that I don’t get it. I get it.

The one thing that I will never be over is reading, though. And British comedy. Both. And it has to do with this review.

This book is a book of poetry, musings, sketches, and nonsense verse by John L
Riley
Feb 05, 2016 Riley rated it liked it
I loved the nonsense of the whole thing. This was clearly written with the intention to be laughed at, quickly read, and overall relaxing - which it certainly was. Good job John, I enjoyed your deliberately misspelled words and questionable (sometimes even scary) plot lines. Very witty, very Lennonesque.
Yasemin
Feb 04, 2016 Yasemin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deneme
Çok kısa bir kitap...Ama çok tatlı çizimler, anlamlı-anlamsız anektodlarla dolu aynı zamanda. Yumuşak G yayınları da sıra dışı bir yayın eviymiş cidden. (Kitap 1997 basımı)
Blogbaas Van 'tVliegend Eiland
9/10
Will
Sep 04, 2015 Will rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
The first book of Lennon's twisted, silly, some-say-sick humour was a BREAKOUT SUCCESS! To understand Lennon's humour one has to suspend almost all of their school-learned rules of syntax, grammar, punctuation and spelling.
He puns practically every word, mis-spelling for clever effect, Lennon is not fond of what today we call "Political Correctness." In fact, he charges at every racist, sexist, mysogynyist, ageist, homophobic, disabled, ethnic, religious topic he can think up. And he thinks up
Shelby Wilson
Dec 23, 2014 Shelby Wilson rated it really liked it
This is my second Lennon, and it reads a lot like the rest of Lennon, though they are a bit shorter. It is amazing to me that Lennon was producing stuff like this so early in his career. The book is a testament to the fact that Lennon was ahead of his time and past the rest of the Beatles as artists at a very early stage. It is my belief that the Beatles didn't actually begin to change music until after 1965 when they stopped touring. Lennon poetry and short stories in this collection goes far b ...more
Alexandra
Sep 19, 2009 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
I loved it, but it's certainly not for everyone. the whole book is back to front, nonsensical, whimsy wordplay, which I find delightful, but others may feel they're wasting their time.
It's fun to read, and strangely reminiscint of Roald Dahl, in my opinion.
Emilie Leming
Sep 19, 2010 Emilie Leming rated it it was amazing
I bought this book when it first came out and love Lennon's quirky, oft' bizarre sense of humor. Some pieces have made me laugh so hard... well, great stuff from my favorite Beatle, singer/songwriter & author.
Marius van Blerck
Jun 30, 2009 Marius van Blerck rated it it was amazing
John Lennon clearly liked Lewis Carroll and Edward Lear, and it shows in this amusing and intelligent book of short stories, which are collectively a delightful example of wordplay.
Sofia Scanlon
Mar 28, 2016 Sofia Scanlon rated it liked it
If this book wasn't written by John Lennon, I wouldn't have read it. When I first heard Lennon wrote a book (or books) I was like:
'Omg. This book probably is filed with symbolism and is very deep and it might say something about the Beatles and Sean (his son) or his life and you would just tell right away John Winston Lennon wrote it."
Well I was almost right.
This book is filled with short stories that are very funny, symbolic, ad entertaining. I suggest this book for all people who like short s
Thom Dunn
Jun 30, 2009 Thom Dunn rated it liked it
"What I learned from this book"---Writing as a Liberating Activity
Beth
May 11, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing
Together with A Spaniard in the Works, John Lennon proved his facility with words, a rich poetic sensibility, and above all, a hilarious perception of the world. The tone, style, and even the original drawings are reminiscent of Spike Milligan, and lead directly to the collections of John Hegley. The enormity of Lennon's talent as a musician seeps out into the stories, poems, and observations that comprise this book. If you're one of those people who snivel at the 60s, get over yourself and enjo ...more
Amy
Dec 18, 2007 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wordnerdery, reread
This book changed my life.
Dacod
Jun 25, 2014 Dacod rated it it was amazing
This book is likely to go over the heads of many readers and surely under the head of scholars and serious readers but for those, such as myself, that understand what Lennon is doing with his writing the reading experience is unparalleled. I can honestly say that I have never read a book that has made me laugh out loud as many times as this one, in fact I can't recall many other books that have made me laugh at all. Lennon's experimentation with the English language is enviable and influential o ...more
Mary Narkiewicz
Jan 25, 2014 Mary Narkiewicz rated it liked it
oh so long ago.
Mike Steven
Mar 30, 2015 Mike Steven rated it it was ok
I'm a big fan of The Beatles and specifically John Lennon but this collection of nonsense rhyme and prose is self-indulgent and dated.

For example, it's not really acceptable to take pleasure in a story where the protagonist 'lept off the bus like a burning spastic' following an argument with a 'coloured conductor'. I wouldn't judge Lennon as his writing reflects how society was at the time, however, I do judge the work in itself.

Lennon is quite talented in his word play and use of puns - and I
Joe Caravella
Dec 19, 2008 Joe Caravella rated it it was amazing
Twistedly Funny, The Smart Beatle shows his lighter side, It is hard to "Imagine" such mirthfull Little Vignets Comming from the mouth or mind of the man who once proclaimed His Band To be bigger than Jesus, Buts Just the point a truley brilliant mind is aware of his Insanity & his Genius, Because there is a fine line between the two. John was a Poet,A Composer, A Rocker,A Rebel, A activist, a Writer of 3 volumes of short silly Tomes, A spokesman for a Generation, A front Man for the greates ...more
P.Sannie
Mar 15, 2010 P.Sannie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beatles fans, John Lennon fans
Shelves: the-beatles
Quirky. That's pretty much In His Own Write in one word. Maybe eccentric would be another one.

It's a collection of very short stories, poems, and drawings from John and to be perfectly honest, I doubt he'd have been able to get it published had he not been a Beatle. Regardless, it made me chuckle because the humor is just so specific and rather dark; I don't know how many stories ended rather unpredictably and all in the same fashion (without giving anything away).

There are little lines thrown i
maricar
May 02, 2010 maricar rated it really liked it
I didn’t understand half of it! Haha! But that brief experience was still enjoyable :)

I know I’m commenting on this piece of work from a biased perspective (am a Fab Four fan…and proud of it, babe ;-) ), so if that’s not gonna help…don’t bother reading on…

Am always have been in awe of Lennon – with and post-McCartney, his musical intellect is undeniable. Added to that awe is a smidgen of a feeling of intimidation. Video footage of live interviews as well as chronicles of people who were, in som
Billy
Oct 24, 2007 Billy rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Same people who went out and rented "How I Won the War"
When I was in grammar school I got VERY into the Beatles, including checking this out of the library. It's a lot of cheeky nonsense based on mispellings birthing second-tier puns, from what very little I remember. In fact, I recall so little about this and the followup book, "A Spaniard in the Works" (which contained somewhere the line "he even packed the penis he won at a bagatelle", an amusingly dark line for a pop star to get away with in 1965, even without music) that I don't think I can fai ...more
Frederick
Nov 07, 2007 Frederick rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Beatles Fans, Comedy Fans, Joyceans
Shelves: humor, lennon
The prime mover of the Beatles wrote this and that is why it's still in print. It has its interesting points outside of the fact that it's John writing it: The wordplay is fun, the drawings are amusingly silly and Paul McCartney did a mirthful little preface.
But, if you're looking for the lilting poetry you hear in such songs as "A Day In The Life," "Across The Universe," "Imagine" or "Number 9 Dream," you're not going to find it here. John Lennon was a great songwriter whose lyrics matched his
Vanessa
Feb 13, 2016 Vanessa rated it did not like it
Oh, well. I guess the absurdist style isn't for me. I really love John, but I didn't enjoy this book at all. The stories are completely nonsense and his english is very hard to comprehend. I can see he's saying something very smart and important... But still... I don't get it. lol Maybe I should have read this with a group, or a teacher, or someone who could discuss it with me. Reading by myself was very complicated and frustrating.
Dianeh
Mar 28, 2014 Dianeh rated it liked it
Thinking that John wrote this book when he was very young, I think John was just having fun playing with words. I enjoyed the parts I could understand. Some of the stories or poems made me laugh. Some were hard to understand because he was using words from his childhood and Liverpool dialect. I liked his line drawings that went with the poems. It just seems a frivolous, little ditty of a book.
Debra Daniels-zeller
I've had this book for decades and just recently revisited it. The stories are weird and quirky. I love the drawings, but I'm not sure what John Lennon would have said about the stories today if he was still alive. The titles are intriguing--Partly Dave, No Flies on Fran, The Fat Growth on Eric Herble, but they are so weird, it's hard to say what some of them are even about. Maybe I just couldn't relate to them anymore.
  • Lennon Remembers: The Full Rolling Stone Interviews from 1970
  • Postcards from the Boys
  • Lennon: The Definitive Biography
  • The Beatles Illustrated Lyrics
  • The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions: The Official Story of the Abbey Road Years 1962-1970
  • The Beatles: Unseen Archives
  • I, Me, Mine
  • Memories of John Lennon
  • Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles
  • Shout! The Beatles in Their Generation
  • Ticket to Ride: Inside the Beatles' 1964 and 1965 Tours That Changed the World
  • A Hard Day's Write: The Stories Behind Every Beatles Song
  • Living in the Material World: George Harrison
19968
John Winston Ono Lennon, MBE, was an English singer-songwriter who rose to worldwide fame as one of the founding members of The Beatles, and together with Paul McCartney formed one of the most successful songwriting partnerships of the 20th century.

Born and raised in Liverpool, Lennon became involved in the skiffle craze as a teenager, his first band, The Quarrymen, evolving into The Beatles in 19
More about John Lennon...

“I'm a moldy moldy man
I'm moldy thru and thru
I'm a moldy moldy man
You would not think it true
I'm moldy til my eyeballs
I'm moldy til my toe
I will not dance I shyballs
I'm such a humble Joe.”