Start by marking “In His Own Write” as Want to Read:
In His Own Write

In His Own Write (John Lennon)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  3,395 ratings  ·  133 reviews
About The Awful

I was bored on the 9th of Octover 1940 when, I believe, the Nasties were still booming us led by Madolf Heatlump (who only had one). Anyway they didn't get me. I attended to varicous schools in Liddypol. And still didn't pass -- much to my Aunties supplies. As a member of the most publified Beatles my (P, G, and R's) records might seem funnier to some of

Published October 10th 2000 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about In His Own Write, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In His Own Write

John
I am a John Lennon fan... but this is complete crap.

If you think that this book is any good, I bet you like the cut and colour of the Emporers New Clothes too.
Sophie
Total and complete nonsense.
I enjoyed it completely though.
Most of the time, I didn't understand a word that was written, but sometimes I would catch on and see his little tweaks to words like 'in the jumble... the mighty jumble' instead of 'jungle'.
Some of the passages will make you scrunch up your eyebrows in confusion, but by the end of the story or poem, you're laughing. If you're a John Lennon fan, that is- or, at least, you have a good sense of humor and aren't very particular in your lite...more
J.P.
Jun 23, 2008 J.P. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poetry fans, Beatles fans
Mary
People will say 'This book is absolute crap!'...They are dead wrong! They obviously have a short attention spam because this book is so meaningful! If you are willing to read this book, i suggest to take your time and read it slowly, if you don't, you will find yourself putting the book down after the very first poem! Make sure you spend time to think deeply about every word, you will find it much more enjoyable! i understand that not many people understand Liverpudlian but that is no excuse to...more
Garrett Zecker
Meh. Okay, so I have been over the Beatles for a while now. I was fascinated for a time, but now I am over them. Someday I anticipate I will no longer be over them and will be touting their brilliance like everyone else seems to, but I am over it. But that is not to say that I don’t get it. I get it.

The one thing that I will never be over is reading, though. And British comedy. Both. And it has to do with this review.

This book is a book of poetry, musings, sketches, and nonsense verse by John L...more
Lily
In my edition In His Own Write is paired with A Spaniard In The Works, but I guess I'll write the reviews separately. Also, Paul McCartney not Yoko Ono wrote the introduction, and, frankly, I can only be grateful, because Paul gives the readers a good advice - the stories don't have to make sense and there is no need to look for a hidden meaning: "if it seems funny then that's enough".

It was often funny and sad at times, but brilliant all the way through. John Lennon had a knack for words and an...more
Alexandra
I loved it, but it's certainly not for everyone. the whole book is back to front, nonsensical, whimsy wordplay, which I find delightful, but others may feel they're wasting their time.
It's fun to read, and strangely reminiscint of Roald Dahl, in my opinion.
Emilie Leming
I bought this book when it first came out and love Lennon's quirky, oft' bizarre sense of humor. Some pieces have made me laugh so hard... well, great stuff from my favorite Beatle, singer/songwriter & author.
Marius van Blerck
John Lennon clearly liked Lewis Carroll and Edward Lear, and it shows in this amusing and intelligent book of short stories, which are collectively a delightful example of wordplay.
Thom Dunn
"What I learned from this book"---Writing as a Liberating Activity
Dacod
This book is likely to go over the heads of many readers and surely under the head of scholars and serious readers but for those, such as myself, that understand what Lennon is doing with his writing the reading experience is unparalleled. I can honestly say that I have never read a book that has made me laugh out loud as many times as this one, in fact I can't recall many other books that have made me laugh at all. Lennon's experimentation with the English language is enviable and influential o...more
Joe Caravella
Twistedly Funny, The Smart Beatle shows his lighter side, It is hard to "Imagine" such mirthfull Little Vignets Comming from the mouth or mind of the man who once proclaimed His Band To be bigger than Jesus, Buts Just the point a truley brilliant mind is aware of his Insanity & his Genius, Because there is a fine line between the two. John was a Poet,A Composer, A Rocker,A Rebel, A activist, a Writer of 3 volumes of short silly Tomes, A spokesman for a Generation, A front Man for the greates...more
P.Sannie
Mar 15, 2010 P.Sannie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beatles fans, John Lennon fans
Shelves: the-beatles
Quirky. That's pretty much In His Own Write in one word. Maybe eccentric would be another one.

It's a collection of very short stories, poems, and drawings from John and to be perfectly honest, I doubt he'd have been able to get it published had he not been a Beatle. Regardless, it made me chuckle because the humor is just so specific and rather dark; I don't know how many stories ended rather unpredictably and all in the same fashion (without giving anything away).

There are little lines thrown i...more
maricar
I didn’t understand half of it! Haha! But that brief experience was still enjoyable :)

I know I’m commenting on this piece of work from a biased perspective (am a Fab Four fan…and proud of it, babe ;-) ), so if that’s not gonna help…don’t bother reading on…

Am always have been in awe of Lennon – with and post-McCartney, his musical intellect is undeniable. Added to that awe is a smidgen of a feeling of intimidation. Video footage of live interviews as well as chronicles of people who were, in som...more
Billy
Oct 24, 2007 Billy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Same people who went out and rented "How I Won the War"
When I was in grammar school I got VERY into the Beatles, including checking this out of the library. It's a lot of cheeky nonsense based on mispellings birthing second-tier puns, from what very little I remember. In fact, I recall so little about this and the followup book, "A Spaniard in the Works" (which contained somewhere the line "he even packed the penis he won at a bagatelle", an amusingly dark line for a pop star to get away with in 1965, even without music) that I don't think I can fai...more
Frederick
Nov 07, 2007 Frederick rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beatles Fans, Comedy Fans, Joyceans
Shelves: lennon, humor
The prime mover of the Beatles wrote this and that is why it's still in print. It has its interesting points outside of the fact that it's John writing it: The wordplay is fun, the drawings are amusingly silly and Paul McCartney did a mirthful little preface.
But, if you're looking for the lilting poetry you hear in such songs as "A Day In The Life," "Across The Universe," "Imagine" or "Number 9 Dream," you're not going to find it here. John Lennon was a great songwriter whose lyrics matched his...more
Dianeh
Thinking that John wrote this book when he was very young, I think John was just having fun playing with words. I enjoyed the parts I could understand. Some of the stories or poems made me laugh. Some were hard to understand because he was using words from his childhood and Liverpool dialect. I liked his line drawings that went with the poems. It just seems a frivolous, little ditty of a book.
Debra Daniels-zeller
I've had this book for decades and just recently revisited it. The stories are weird and quirky. I love the drawings, but I'm not sure what John Lennon would have said about the stories today if he was still alive. The titles are intriguing--Partly Dave, No Flies on Fran, The Fat Growth on Eric Herble, but they are so weird, it's hard to say what some of them are even about. Maybe I just couldn't relate to them anymore.
Nicole
I've read this book several times, but until recently, I had not picked it up in years. I noticed two things: One is that I was more shocked than ever by the extremely un-PC language and imagery. The young John Lennon was not a culturally sensitive guy, and while he means no harm, a lot of people will be put off by the ethnic stereotypes.

The second thing I noticed is that I was as in love as ever with Lennon's wordplay. He comes up with deliberate misspellings, malapropisms, and offbeat uses of...more
Hamish Ian
Sep 18, 2008 Hamish Ian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers of unusual literature

This book is full of small gems.

It is short but dense, and not for the faint hearted or the easily distracted. You need to take time to digest 'In his own write'.

The collection is a mixture of prose and poetry written in the style of literary nonsense, Lennon was a fan of Lewis Carroll and this collection and "A spaniard in the works" was inspired by Carroll's poem "Jabberwocky". It is also thought that british comedian Stanley Urwin was an inspiration.

Overall it is a good read, and though it...more
Moya Ross
Found this book 30 years ago in a second hand book store. It was my best book and favorite book for a long time. I laughed, I marveled and loved the use (misuse / muddled) of words. Can you imagine how excited I was when I saw it had been republished ...!
Liliana
If you are a John Lennon fan and you also have a great sense of humour this book is for you. This book is just great nonsense, most of it doesn't even make sense but that's why it's so funny. The style of the book is just so random and interesting. 10/10.
Garrett Cash
John was writing nonsense many years before I Am the Walrus, you'll be constantly entertained for the half hour it takes to read it.
Karen
There just can't be a human who doesn't yearn for Lennnon's world in Imagine. A soul worth loving.
Cynthia
Aug 20, 2014 Cynthia marked it as to-read
This turned up at a yard sale and I couldn't resist. Saving for a fast reading break.
Katsumi
Yes, this is an odd book. Some of the entries were very funny, some very odd, and some were really quite disturbing. However, despite being put off by some of the stories, I did thoroughly enjoy the way Lennon wrote. The play on words were especially humurous if very hard to interpret at times.
This book may not be for those who enjoy traditional comedy, but it's certainly worth a read if you're looking for something new. The complete randomness and, well, weirdness of Lennon's style (and, perhap...more
Charlie
I've been unsure of whether to give this two or three stars. The stories are written in a charming, semi-nonsensical way, and there are a few nice illustrations by John Lennon, including one of a kid flying over a countryside and another of a lady in a wheelchair admiring a flower in her hand. But there are also moments of racism, ableism, and body-shaming (as well as a "comedic death"), all of which were upsetting to come across. So I feel conflicted.
Brittania
Quirky is the best possible way to describe this collection of nonsense poetry and musings by John Lennon. It's completely random, possibly eccentric at times but completely John and completely following in the general standard of dry British humor, and for that I like it.

I would LOVE to see a collection of his writings that follow more similarly to his songwriting style but for now I will be content with this on days when I need something just a little different to quirk up my day.
Taylor
Nov 12, 2007 Taylor rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any Beatles fans or John Lennon fans
This was a really neat book. It only took about 45 minutes to read...it's super short. But that doesn't mean it's not good. It is one of the most interesting books I've ever read.

It contains very unique and quirky drawings, stories, and poems. The way Lennon writes is really cool. He replaces normal words with similar words. It's kind of hard to explain on paper, but if you ever read it, you'll understand his usage of unconventional wording.

Definitely worth reading.
Kenneth Flusche
like Paul, the pictures better than the words, but one more book off by bucket list
  • Lennon Remembers: The Full Rolling Stone Interviews from 1970
  • Shout! The Beatles in Their Generation
  • The Complete Beatles Chronicle
  • A Hard Day's Write: The Stories Behind Every Beatles Song
  • Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles
  • Ticket to Ride: Inside the Beatles' 1964 and 1965 Tours That Changed the World
  • Living in the Material World: George Harrison
  • The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles
19968
John Winston Ono Lennon, MBE, was an English singer-songwriter who rose to worldwide fame as one of the founding members of The Beatles, and together with Paul McCartney formed one of the most successful songwriting partnerships of the 20th century.

Born and raised in Liverpool, Lennon became involved in the skiffle craze as a teenager, his first band, The Quarrymen, evolving into The Beatles in 19...more
More about John Lennon...
A Spaniard in the Works The John Lennon Letters Skywriting by Word of Mouth and Other Writings The Writings of John Lennon Real Love: The Drawings for Sean

“I'm a moldy moldy man
I'm moldy thru and thru
I'm a moldy moldy man
You would not think it true
I'm moldy til my eyeballs
I'm moldy til my toe
I will not dance I shyballs
I'm such a humble Joe.”