Start by marking “Heavens to Betsy! and Other Curious Sayings” as Want to Read:
Heavens to Betsy! and Other Curious Sayings

Heavens to Betsy! and Other Curious Sayings

He's as mad as a hatter!

Whether it's like a bump on a log or a bat out of hell, these expressions have been around forever, but we've never really known why ... until now! Finally Dr. Funk explains more than 400 droll, colorful, and sometimes pungent expressions of everyday speech. Derived from classical sources, historic events, famous literature, frontier humor, and t

Published January 1st 1984 by Harper Perennial (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Heavens to Betsy! and Other Curious Sayings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heavens to Betsy! and Other Curious Sayings

This book was interesting, but there were parts of it that I just skimmed because some of the phrases were unfamiliar to me-- out of date? I would be interested in reading a more current book on a similar theme.

Some interesting things I learned from this book:
-"Ham actor" originated from "hamfatter", which was applied to Black minstrels starting around 1875.
-Having someone "by the short hairs" didn't, at least at one time, refer to the pubic hairs, but rather to the beard, or the little hairs o
Apr 05, 2008 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recall this being a very fun little compendium.
Sarah Sammis
Heavens to Betsy was first published in 1955 and is still in print. I think by 1955 most of the "curious sayings" were already falling out of common use and by now this laundry list of sayings seems more like a strange historical document than a current look at popular expressions in day-to-day speech.

Funk's begins the book with an explanation as to why "Heavens to Betsy" inspired the writing of the book. Although he gives no definitive explanation about the history or origin of the saying the p
Bailey Jane
This is one of those interesting books that sheds a little light on those little phrases you've always wondered, "How did that ever come to be said?" It's a great coffee table book as anyone can thumb through it and be more enlightened than before they sat down! It's nice to have one of those books around that isn't necessarily meant to be read in any kind of order. Just opening to a page and reading is sufficient!
Jun 27, 2011 Mindy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I thought this would be really interesting, and at first it was. First of all: it rapidly became BORING! This author completely sucked the life and interest out of the subject. In addition, since it was written in 1955, meanings of some of the expressions have actually changed! It felt dated beyond belief.
This book was a handy way to occupy those last few minutes when one is dressed and ready to go somewhere or waiting for the computer to warm up. I learned the origins and whys and wherefores of many of our common sayings. It was O.K. with me that I did.
Sep 23, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
The writing style and word usage seemed a bit antiquated. I also got very bored with references to Hog on Ice. That being said this was the perfect thing to read a few minutes at a time while in the bathroom. I found myself saying quite often, “That is interesting.”
Feb 21, 2009 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The book covers a good number of expressions, but most of them are ones I heard before an already knew what they meant. I was somewhat skeptical about the origins he gave for some of the expressions, but it was a fun read overall.
Apr 10, 2011 Alison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love finding out where interesting sayings come from, but this book wasn't what I was looking for. Many of the sayings' origins are obvious, and others are so outdated that I had never heard them used.
Apr 26, 2013 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was interesting, and even funny at times, but could have been more readable. The entries doen't appear to be organized in any way, they don't follow a theme, they're not divided into chapters. I would hate to have to look up an expression in this book.
This book is an interesting compendium of curious mostly American sayings, along with a brief history of how they came about. A rather fun romp through history via local color.
Aug 11, 2013 Alan rated it really liked it
Shelves: box-1
From 1955, so some of the phrases are out of date, it is still a fun, and occasionally educational, read.
Ashley Hunt
Ashley Hunt rated it did not like it
Nov 21, 2011
Val Nichols
Val Nichols rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2008
Pam Lauman
Pam Lauman rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Kristi rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2007
Jenifer rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2011
Burlison rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2015
Christian rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Beatrice (Camille)
Beatrice (Camille) rated it it was ok
Mar 29, 2012
Linda rated it it was ok
Dec 13, 2014
Debbi Hodge
Debbi Hodge rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Leslie rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2007
Lee Sanders
Lee Sanders rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Hank Hoeft
Hank Hoeft rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Eric Brown
Eric Brown rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2010
Jane Davis
Jane Davis rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2010
Kate Mcpherson
Kate Mcpherson rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2011
Cori rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Kgrubbs rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • College Cooking: Feed Yourself and Your Friends
  • Essentials of Business Communication (with Printed Access Card)
  • How to Tell a Story: The Secrets of Writing Captivating Tales
  • More Anguished English: An Exposé of Embarrassing Excruciating, and Egregious Errors in English
  • The Meaning of Tingo and Other Extraordinary Words from around the World
  • I Love it When You Talk Retro: Hoochie Coochie, Double Whammy, Drop a Dime, and the Forgotten Origins of American Speech
  • In Other Words: A Language Lover's Guide to the Most Intriguing Words Around the World
  • Moral Minority: Our Skeptical Founding Fathers
  • 101 Things to Do Before You Die
  • Secrets of the Code
  • The Long War Against God: The History & Impact of the Creation/Evolution Conflict
  • Foxfire 12
  • Shakespeare's Kitchen: Renaissance Recipes for the Contemporary Cook
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Bible
  • There's a Word for It!  A Grandiloquent Guide to Life
  • Uncle John's 4-Ply Bathroom Reader
  • The Tunnel of Hugsy Goode (The Alley, #2)
  • Subversive Seamster: Transform Thrift Store Threads Into Street Couture