Start by marking “Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth, #2)” as Want to Read:
Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth, #2)

Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth #2)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  6,889 Ratings  ·  634 Reviews
The Ghost

Okay, I admit it. I'm not perfect, no matter what you've heard. First off, I'm dead. Second, I got sent back from the Great Beyond. I mean, seriously, who is running things up there? Now I have to spend the summer after my senior year working - and on behalf of a bunch of whiny spirits, no less. But a girl's got to what a girl's got to do.

It's a good thing Will Ki
Published May 31st 2011 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Queen of the Dead, please sign up.

Stacey Kade Hmm. I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer this, but I'll give it a go. :D It is similar to the first one in that you have Will and Alona,…moreHmm. I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer this, but I'll give it a go. :D It is similar to the first one in that you have Will and Alona, bickering and fighting as they deal with ghost problems. It's different in that things get more complicated for them. Will meets another ghosttalker and Alona takes some drastic action after realizing that her family is moving on in a very definitive way. Those two things cause big problems for them and things are changed in a big way by the end. Hope that helps!(less)

Vinaya
I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK!!!

I really enjoyed The Ghost and the Goth, so I was a little apprehensive about ruining the magic with Queen of the Dead. Middle books are sometimes such HUGE disappointments, especially when they revolve around an established romantic couple from the first book. Thankfully, Queen of the Dead, far from suffering from the Middle-Child Syndrome, rocked my socks right off!

Remember Crescendo? No, I haven't read it, but I've read enough and more about it, and from what I can tell
Norah Una Sumner
“Nice. I like a little desperation in a guy. It builds character.”

Giving this four stars simply because both Will and Alona are SUPER stubborn in this one.Everything else is great as always.There's a bit of action,there's a bit of romance and there are a lot of unexpected events so basically it never gets boring or cliché-y.Also,there's a lot of sarcasm and humor-just what I like.

description

Love the character development and I really hope that in the last book Will will (see what I did there ;)) stand
Zyra
Feb 03, 2017 Zyra rated it it was amazing
oh second book was so much better than the first. it actually improved. what happened with alona was such a pleasant twist.
Nikoleta
Oct 27, 2015 Nikoleta rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ghostly
Εκεί που αναρωτιόμουν πως μπορούσε κανείς να γεμίσει τριλογία με ένα τέτοιο θέμα, το δεύτερο μέρος της σειράς με ξάφνιασε απίστευτα! Τι να πω; Πρωτότυπο μέχρι εκεί που δεν πάει. Κ αν το πρώτο βιβλίο -παρόλο που το βρήκα εξαιρετικά διασκεδαστικό- δεν μου έξαπτε την περιέργεια, στο δεύτερο βιβλίο έχει δημιουργήσει ένα τέτοιο μπλέξιμο για τους ήρωες, που αν δεν μάθω πως στο καλό θα λυθεί, θα κρατήσω την ανάσα μου μέχρι να σκάσω!
Keertana
Jun 09, 2012 Keertana rated it liked it
You know how nearly every second book in a trilogy suffers from insane boredom, lack of character development, humor, and plot summary? Well, I'm happy to say that Queen of the Dead only partially fell into this rut. The second book of Kade's The Ghost and the Goth series disappointed me by severely lacking the humor I'd grown to love and surprised me by taking a rather serious - and utterly unique - turn.

The last thing Will expects is to find another person like him - someone who can see
Lexie
Oct 18, 2010 Lexie rated it it was amazing
Ever since I finished THE GHOST AND THE GOTH I was eagerly waiting for the sequel.  The blurbs and info on the net only made me want to read it more because, quite frankly, I love Will and Alona.  Together, individually, bickering, snarking...they caught my attention like few couples seem to.

The addition of the 'Order', a secret society/business who played Ghostbusters for science and profit, was definitely interesting.  It gave Will a new perspective.  Undeniably when Alona convinced him to hel
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
I read this series for entertainment value, and only that. So of course I had to go and ruin it all by reading the synopsis of the third book before I'd even started the first one. Which in turn thoroughly spoiled this installment, as I already knew what was going to happen during the climax of the story. Sometimes I wish I could tighten my screws.

sigh

Even so, I liked it. While there are moments when it feel banal, and Will's narration and his revelations seem a bit forced, overall, it's a fun
Kate
Feb 15, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I really like Alona Dare, and love her and Will together. This book further cemented that fact for me, but I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending. I'll wait a few days to write a review. No matter what though, I know I'll be sticking with this series until the end, and I'll be checking out anything that Ms. Kade publishes.
Erin V
Got to read it while doing Sunday Laundry and I got to say I love theses two characters and their chemistry. can't believe I finally found a ghost book that I think is actually really great. I can't wait for the next book that I bought already on Amazon. Such a great story.
Louise
Mar 20, 2011 Louise rated it really liked it
Ah I love these books! Really enjoyed this book. Really funny as well. Think the next book is going to be really good, can't wait for the next now. :D
Karmavee
Mar 20, 2013 Karmavee rated it it was amazing
I love this Series!
the second one did not fall flat!

photo tumblr_inline_mh5tr1Zwr91rsymcu_zps9d7ef674.png

Alona Dare, ex-social queen has died and is stuck aiding goth boy/ghost talker Will Killian until she proves to the light she’s learned something…whatever that something is.I love this series because it doesn’t try to be something its not…I mean come on its a YA series about a shallow dead cheerleader. Speaking of Alona, I love the lack of character development for a change.

Alona might have become slightly less mean since meeting Will, but fo
kari
Jun 06, 2011 kari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, 5-star, 2011
Dear Ms. Kade,
I hope this finds you well and most certainly busy working on the next installment of this series. I would actually appreciate having it in my hands, oh let's see, yesterday, so please get on that as soon as possible. Thanks (and get to work!)

Note to everyone: Don't let this book cover fool you. The covers for these books may look silly or fluffy and the books are anything but that. The covers really do suggest what the book is about, but when so many books have gorgeous dark cove
Lindsay
The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade

Good bye Reading Slump, hello Salvation

God it has been so long since I've picked this book up! I remember reading the first book...I think it was a year ago. It was absolutely fabulous of course. And then lucky me, I won this book read a few pages put it down and forgot about it.

Shameful I know...

Well I've been working on getting back into reading since its summer so I'm having a massive reading marathon. And this is one of the few books to help me get back into YA. Oh YA how I've missed you so
Heather
May 08, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngadult
This book was EXCELLENT. I thought that the first book in the series had a lot of potential, but didn’t quite reach my expectations, but Queen of the Dead made up for that.

I love the narrator switch each chapter. I appreciated that in the first book, but even more so now that Alona and Will have better established their “relationship.” Not every author can pull this off, but it really worked; it’s important as they see the world so differently.

Alona has been forced to grow up; she might be dea
Charlotte
Jan 18, 2011 Charlotte marked it as to-read
Oh, no. He better not end up with Mina. He and Alona are meant to me. I just can't allow something as...heart-breaking...as Will going to another her. I can't. I won't. I hope it comes out soon, 'cuz I need some answers. *nods*
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars Enjoyed it, though not quite as much as I did the first. Alona seemed pretty selfish in this one, and it made me a teeny bit uncomfortable at times. Still, I'm looking forward to the next one to see where the story goes.
Jessica-Robyn
This one was a disappointment for me, it lacked the little things I loved about the last book and although the plot was interesting the characters had lost a lot all of their former likability replacing it with whining and a complete lack of common sense.(view spoiler) ...more
Nitzan Schwarz
To read more reviews and fun things go to my blog; Drugs Called Books!

Oh, I loved this book very much.

Alona Dare, with all her imperfection, is just so very likable it's odd. She has her shallow moments, and her deep moments, and they are all wrapped up in one package in a way that makes total sense (kudos to the lovely author for that!). She is dead, and yet so strangely alive in her reaction and thoughts. She's changing, too, and evolving, in more than one way.

Will is just delicious in my min
Angelc
Jun 25, 2011 Angelc rated it really liked it
This book wasn't what I expected it to be, in a good way! The cover looks like a cheesy teen romance, but this story deals with some tough issues and it's actually really scary! There were parts that I personally didn't really like, but overall, it's a well-written teen story with a lot for readers to think about.

First off, Alona is an awesome character. I love that she used to be a "mean girl" in high school, but in the afterlife, she's grown so much. She hasn't stopped being that mean girl alt
Kreiden
Sep 08, 2012 Kreiden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
“Deeper Ghost Romance and Conflicts with a mix of Ghost Busters Action!”

Reading the book 2 is making me feel a lot of heartache and a bit of curiosity on what’s gonna happens next?! Alona and Will’s romance gets deeper and deeper and I am soo glad that they can feel each other (kisses, hugs, etc…). Then here comes a very complicated conflict that makes me want to know the ending. GAWD! I love it!

Until this girl ‘Mina’ (the ghost hunter girl) which I preferred calling her a Ghost Buster hahaha
Holli
Jun 04, 2011 Holli rated it liked it
I wasn't sure how to rate this book. I was expecting things to remain relatively the same with the main characters helping quirky ghosts to head for the light. I was surprised & disappointed when the plot changed course--completely changed course.

The rules for this fictional world flew out the window & the explanations didn't make sense. They came off as --ooops! I wrote myself into a corner in the first novel now hang with me while I change things up & give flimsy excuses for why th
Ana Banda
Nov 27, 2011 Ana Banda rated it it was amazing
Spoilers; spoilers; SPOILEEEEEEEERS!

Dios mio; estoy chillando como loca :'(
Amo esta trilogia! El primer libro fue super divertido pero este; simplemente hermoso! Nuevos personajes que odie!
Mina cara de pira jodete -.- que te trague la luz azul o del color que sea; solo su propio interes & Will que? -.-
Alona; una parte de ella que no conociamos pero divina; sacrificarse por Lily fue muy lindo pero tendra su recompensa al tener unos "padres" que se preocupen por ella :3
William Killian eres e
Sydney

Just felt like adding that.

I really liked Ghost and the Goth. I didn't like this one as much. It made me angry. I wish Alona and Will would have just made up. That is one of the things I liked about these books. Believe it or not, Will is on my book boyfriend list. I really like them as a couple, but now they annoy me. I'm going to read the third to see what happens, but this book felt to thrown together. The beginning was good, the middle was boring and dragged, but the end was good. I just rea
Tabby
Dec 31, 2010 Tabby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, e-book
The Ghost and the Goth was one of my favorite books last year, so I couldn't wait to get my hands on Queen of the Dead; unfortunately I was disappointed.

I love Alona and Will; Mina and the other ghost talkers not so much. Which sucked for me since that's what most of the book was about. I also didn't like the whole situation involving Lily's body. I just wish this book didn't go in a completely different direction from the first.

With that said I do love Alona and Wills interaction and this boo
Tabatha
Don't get me wrong, I loved Queen Of The Dead but sometimes I wish authors would just keep it simples you know?

Over & Out, T xx
Linds
Quick paced and a fast read with a simple plot. It reads like an episode of Angel, a simple story with pre-established characters. This one was less of a romance than the first one, which made for a better story.
Rebecca McNutt
What on the surface seems like just a shallow book proved to be much more. Showing that appearances aren't everything and that people can still be good friends regardless of the social order of high school, this often hilarious and surprisingly intriguing YA novel is definitely worth reading.
Fani *loves angst*
Alona is turning into one of my favorite heroines; I love her spunk! And Will's the perfect match for her, quiet and subdued but not a doormat by any means.
Can't wait to see what happens in book #3.
Tina
Nov 05, 2014 Tina rated it really liked it
A bit slow in the beginning, but it was much better at the end. Sweet!
Mei
Alona Dare continues to be Will Killian's spirit guide, after being sent back by the light. Both have no idea why she returned and Alona refuses to tell what happened that time. They help ghosts tend to their unfinished business concerning the living. A ghost they were helping, Mrs. Ruiz (a housekeeper), leads them to another ghost-talker, Mina, and a secret organization that investigates everything ghosts and rids of those who harm humans. As far as Will knows, his dad is the only person he kno ...more
If you havent already read.... 2 30 Oct 12, 2013 08:39PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Queen of the Dead - 4th Feb book 1 3 Feb 10, 2013 05:40PM
truth 3 79 Jul 25, 2012 09:25PM
  • Reign Check (Demon Princess #2)
  • Fairy Bad Day
  • Just a Dream (Carolina Pack, #1)
  • Fins Are Forever (Fins, #2)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Werewolf Rage (Taming the Wolf, #2)
  • My Unfair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #2)
  • Far From Heaven
  • Resisting The Alpha (The Crane Curse, #2)
  • Bad Taste in Boys (Kate Grable, #1)
  • Seducing the Dragon: Part 3 (Stonefire Dragons, #2 part 3 of 4)
  • A Killer First Date  (Drake Chronicles #3.5)
  • You Are So Undead to Me (Megan Berry, #1)
  • A Tale of Two Proms (Bard Academy, #4)
  • Give Up the Ghost
  • Always a Witch (Witch, #2)
  • Love Sucks!
  • The Dangers of Adopting a Werewolf (Changeling Encounters, #2)
The daughter of a minister and a music teacher, Stacey Kade grew up reading Harlequin romances on the sly in the basement. Kade is the author of two young adult series (The Ghost and Goth trilogy and the Project Paper Doll series). Her first adult contemporary romance, 738 DAYS, was released earlier this year.

Prior to writing full time, Kade worked as an award-winning copywriter for several Fortun
More about Stacey Kade...

The Ghost and the Goth (3 books)
  • The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1)
  • Body & Soul (The Ghost and the Goth, #3)

“Nice. I like a little desperation in
a guy. It builds character.”
74 likes
“This girl who equally drove me crazy and made me care about her more than I should. She was the only one who understood. The only one who could help make what I was more bearable, even if she occasionally tortured me in the process.” 40 likes