Start by marking “Thanks, Johnners: An Affectionate Tribute to a Broadcasting Legend” as Want to Read:
Thanks, Johnners: An Affectionate Tribute to a Broadcasting Legend

Thanks, Johnners: An Affectionate Tribute to a Broadcasting Legend

Jonathan Agnew, known to his legions of Test Match Special fans as "Aggers," has at long last written a personal tribute to his late colleague Brian Johnston, universally known as "Johnners." The on-air incident in which Agnew's comment on Ian Botham's attempt to avoid stepping on his stumps—"He just couldn't quite get his leg over"—provoked prolonged fits of giggles, ...more
Published December 1st 2010 by HarperCollins UK (first published October 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Thanks, Johnners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thanks, Johnners

Sally
Jan 21, 2011 Sally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sport, england
What English cricket fan has NOT heard the Leg-over broadcast? "Aggers for goodness sake stop it," indeed. It's hard to believe that incident was in the early days of Agnew's Test Match Special career.

I may only be 34 but I've been listening to TMS for as long as I can recall. I remember listening to Johnners and Aggers, waking up in the early hours of the morning to listen when England were playing overseas, and playing my Walkman radio between classes. Even now, living in the USA, I tune in on
Roger Whitfield
May 15, 2011 Roger Whitfield rated it really liked it
A really excellent read for those who have ever heard the wonderful Johnners. I fear we will never see his like again, A piece of old colonial England disappeared with his passing. A real joy to read and had me crying tears of laughter and sadness and left me with a sense of melancholy nostalgia for the days of the mid eighties when, instead of revising for O levels I would be listening to Johnners and the TMS team.

Thanks for the book Aggers. A quality read and some excellent arguments at the en
Keri
Jun 25, 2011 Keri rated it it was amazing
A great story of cricket and the life of Brian Johnston told by none other than Aggers. This book was a delightful read and gave me as an American a better understanding of the game and its traditions. If you're interested in a bit of English history, cricket and the life of a broadcasting legend then this is the place to start.
Derek Bell
Nov 29, 2013 Derek Bell rated it really liked it
A fitting tribute to Johnners but also more than that. Agnew is very clear in his views about modern cricket and the future of TMS. He is very much a traditionalist and at times it feels like he is Canute trying to fight of the oncoming tide of modernisation. I don't always agree with his him but he puts forward a cogent argument.
Steve Markham
Dec 13, 2013 Steve Markham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and found It most interesting, being not only a fan of cricket but a long time listener to Test Match special. The book covers a lot of different topics and is most enjoyable
Ian
Sep 19, 2011 Ian rated it it was amazing
A charming, thoughtful and thoroughly enjoyable read. Lovely anecdotes coupled with thoughts and feelings about the wonderful game that is cricket make this a must-read for all fans of Aggers, Johnners, cricket and TMS.
Philip Davies
Jan 13, 2015 Philip Davies rated it really liked it
Love cricket? Then you'll love this book!
A rather sideways look at the workings of the TMS team as seen through the eyes of Jonathan Agnew, with passing reference to Brian Johnston.
Easy to read, easy to pick up and put down.
Peter Wanless
Jun 10, 2012 Peter Wanless rated it liked it

Some privileged public schoolboys get to run the country. Others provide the backbone to Test Match Special.
Ben Hunter
Jan 27, 2012 Ben Hunter rated it liked it
Enjoyed it but somehow I expected a few more stories and a few more laughs. Middlingly entertaining but little more than that.
Nichiless Dey
Nichiless Dey rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2012
Dr Philip G Dommett
Dr Philip G Dommett rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2016
Chris Wood
Chris Wood rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2012
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2011
Ben Kelly
Ben Kelly rated it liked it
May 14, 2015
Merryn Robinson
Merryn Robinson rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Ian Smith
Ian Smith rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Mr J Stevens
Mr J Stevens rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Andrew Wiggins
Andrew Wiggins rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Alan Murray
Alan Murray rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Alan Holdgate
Jan 15, 2012 Alan Holdgate rated it it was amazing
Brilliant tribute to Mr Brian Johnson
Fantastic insight to the world of cricket well worth a read
Rob Hunt
Rob Hunt rated it really liked it
May 14, 2014
Leonard Hulley
Leonard Hulley rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2016
Keven Brooks
Keven Brooks rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2015
Robert Gould
Robert Gould rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2014
Steve Davies
Steve Davies rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Keith Goddard
Keith Goddard rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2013
James Hales
James Hales rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Chris Sharman
Feb 28, 2013 Chris Sharman rated it it was amazing
Excellent tribute
Liam Milner
Liam Milner rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Kodzo Selormey
Kodzo Selormey rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013