The Trials of Lenny Bruce: The Rise and Fall of an American Icon

The Trials of Lenny Bruce: The Rise and Fall of an American Icon

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  21 reviews
About the Author

Ronald K.L.

Collins graduated from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles and was a judicial fellow in the United States Supreme Court. He is currently the First Amendment scholar-in-residence at the First Amendment Center in Arlington, Virginia. He has written numerous scholarly articles in the Harvard, Stanford and Michigan Law Reviews, and more than 150 newspap...more
Published February 1st 2003 by Sourcebooks, Inc (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Trials of Lenny Bruce, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trials of Lenny Bruce

Donna
I cannot remember the last time I felt so strongly about a book I had bought. I have never, ever felt this strongly about a CD! I found, by a rare bit of luck, this hardcover book in brand new condition, in a used book store. The CD inside the cover was still sealed. It is not just an actor on the CD; it is actual footage of Bruce's voice performing (along with narration by someone else). It cost me all of five bucks. Unbelievable!

If you are a champion of free speech, you have to know that this...more
Joey
This book was a bit disturbing as far as how we treat and define obscenity in this country. to me, obscenity is generally a waste of time, sort of like jaywalking tickets. who gives a fuck? there are bigger things with which to deal. i don't know if lenny bruce is funny, but the authors of this book seem to think so (and so did a lot his contemporaries). the one thing i hate about biographies is how doting they seem to be.
Dave Peticolas

A legal history of Lenny Bruce's obscenity trials. This book is far more gripping than the subject matter might indicate. The authors document the series of misdemeanor obscenity trials which Lenny Bruce had to endure and which, arguably, contributed to his untimely death.

Bruce emerges from the book as a complex iconoclast hounded mercilessly by the authorities for daring to break cultural and religious taboos. Recommended.

A CD included with the book contains recordings of Bruce's bits, intervie

Yvette
Great book about a man whose unconventional stand-up act tested the edges of what freedom of speech really means.
James
Dig, I read this book about Lenny Bruce, The Trials of Lenny Bruce: The Fall and Rise of an American Icon by Ronald K.L. Collins & David M. Skover.

Collins and Skover, both lawyers, do not provide a traditional biography of the infamous “sick comic,” but rather a legal lineage of his battles against misdemeanor obscenity charges brought forth as a result of his stand-up acts. The book also includes an audio CD of actual Bruce performances for which he was arrested. The supplementary interview...more
Chuck O'Connor
I came to an appreciation of Lenny Bruce, as I suppose most people might, during my youth, when the weight of growing up was mistaken as persecution, and Lenny could be patron saint to my perpetual sense of unique misunderstanding. Therefore, my knowledge of the man can only be seen with the patina of reverence for the rule-breaking liberality he symbolized. That is, until this book. The presentation of who Lenny Bruce was through the analysis of the many "People vs. Bruce" obscenity trials, wit...more
Jtack79
I liked learning about Lenny Bruce and his impact on a wide range of people from Margaret Cho to Hugh Hefner.

Where I agree with Skover and Collins is in their view of the fragile balance our society has with the first amendment and how easily that social agreement can be skewed one way or the other if we as a society do not remain vigilant and open to discourse on language and what constitutes obscenity or social commentary.

I also like the inclusion of the linguistic origins of profanity; in wh...more
Judith
.....a different approach to the "dangerous Jew"...here, it is "comedy on trial", the five years during which Prosecutors sought to bust Father Bruce for "word crimes". Meticulously documents both litigants, and the literary scene of the 1960s, as taboos were broken in the struggle for Free Speech...there's a CD included with the book, of Lenny's own words.

Do you swing with the First Amendment?

5 Stars
Matt Champagne
Kind of tedious, though passionate enough that I enjoyed it. And--let's say it--a lot of Bruce's stuff now just isn't funny. Compelling. But not funny.
Jake Basner
Interesting as a case for our country's 1st amendment rights, Lenny Bruce never struck me as funny.
Andrew
I'd seen this title remaindered and never bought it because the book looked like a long list of court dates. I eventually picked it up last year for 50 cents, and I'm glad I did. Very well-written and insightful, tons of things I never new about Lenny, all laid out in a very clear narrative that doesn't overwhelm when it comes to legal mumbo jumbo. Totally fascinating book that shows how much Bruce was his own worst enemy. Being his lawyer would have truly sucked. Comes with a CD as well, variou...more
Mike Barnett
I've read a lot about Lenny Bruce, but this was the first book that covered it from the point of a legal analysis of his cases. Great book!
Kristina
We, the American people, owe much to Lenny Bruce. He tested the limits of free speech and he won (eventually). Without him, our comedy would be much more lame and PG. It's amazing to me that he could get arrested for making jokes about religion and using mild profanity. Hooray for Lenny Bruce! Also, the accompanying cds are great. Some of the jokes aren't funny, but some are absolutely hilarious. I still remember a particular one about the Pope, Jesus, and Satan. Good stuff.
Patrick Challis
Lenny Bruce is a man surrounded by myth, legend and a hell of a lot of hearsay but how much of it is true?

Here the authors create a fantastic look at one of the most infamous yet legendary stand up comedians of all time in the shape of Lenny Bruce.

Without Bruce there would be no George Carlin, no Bill Hicks and more so click to see the full review and see why.

Nancy Hite
Lot's of great information about a character that enjoyed pushing the line of acceptance in a world so blinded by their prejudice
Polstar
Jan 04, 2010 Polstar marked it as to-read
I bought this for my husband - it's virtually brand new with the disc inside. I can't wait to read it but it's hardback which means I don't like to lug it about with me!
Mike Lieberman
crazy how the man revolutionized the comedy game and how he was persecuted for using simple words. a bit too long for my liking. would've rated higher if it were shorter.
1sttime0ffender
Its a bit dry in places, a lot of places but for anyone interested in Lenny and his effect on 1st amendment rights its a must
Kelly
I had to read this for a psych class. Interesting topic, horrible organization & writing.
Ryan Newman
The author was a rambling mess.
Mr.
What a mess.
Cookdandbombd
Cookdandbombd is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2014
The Reading
The Reading marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Joni Wagner
Joni Wagner marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Ted
Ted added it
May 24, 2014
Jennifer Morgan
Jennifer Morgan marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Mania: The Story of the Outraged and Outrageous Lives That Launched a Cultural Revolution The Death Of Discourse Mánie On Dissent: Its Meaning in America We Must Not Be Afraid to Be Free: Stories of Free Expression in America