Start by marking “Jigsaw (87th Precinct #24)” as Want to Read:
Jigsaw (87th Precinct #24)

Jigsaw (87th Precinct #24)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  565 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
-- Jigsaw keeps readers on the edge of their seats as cops are forced to play a game with a demented killer who delivers clues to his puzzle via dead bodies. Cops rush to solve the mystery before more "pieces of the puzzle" are delivered.
Published December 1st 2000 by Warner Books (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Jigsaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jigsaw

James Thane
When two men turn up dead in a sleazy apartment, one shot and the other stabbed, detectives Brown and Carella conclude that the man who lived in the apartment surprised a burglar and killed him, but not before the burglar was able to inflict a fatal blow on the tenant. It seems like an open-and-shut case until the detectives discover that one of the men is holding a small piece torn from a photograph. What could that be all about?

Shortly thereafter, an insurance investigator shows up in the squa
Cathy
Apr 09, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, series, police
If you don't mind dead bodies piling up, this was kind of a fun story. The location of the loot from a bank robbery seven years ago is shown in a photograph that was cut up into small jigsaw puzzle pieces. Each of the crooks in on the bank robbery gave their piece to someone - just in case. Good thing too - as all the crooks died in the failed getaway plan, but the $750,000 take was never found. Detectives Carella and Brown get drawn into trying to solve the puzzle along with the insurance adjus ...more
John Marsh
May 06, 2015 John Marsh rated it it was amazing
Skip
Nov 11, 2012 Skip rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
Arthur Brown, as squeal, catches a double murder: one shot dead, one stabbed in the carotid artery. He finds a piece of a photo clutched in one of the dead man's hands. Then, an insurance investigator shows up to tie the deaths and photo to a six year-old bank robbery, where the loot ($750,000) was never found. Brown goes undercover to ferret out the remaining seven pieces. Taut police thriller, with double dealing galore.
Mike O'connell
Feb 23, 2010 Mike O'connell rated it really liked it
Another great read. Entertaining and fast. I really enjoyed the intergation dialogues. I went to the library this morning and checked two more.
Susan Chamberlain
Apr 04, 2012 Susan Chamberlain rated it liked it
Shelves: crimis
This is the epitome of an old-fashioned, cop and robber type mystery. Great airport reading.
Lawrence Cooper
May 31, 2015 Lawrence Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovin' it

I have seen Ed McBain on the shelves for nearly 40 years. Maybe I read one short story when I was in my teens. Maybe I didn't. I can't remember cuz I got old.

However I did read this one thanks to an Amazon recommendation and I loved it.

This is a finely tuned police procedural. The writing is taut and descriptive. The characters are vividly written. The story is fairly straightforward with few detours, but it was still very enjoyable.
Christian
Aug 11, 2015 Christian rated it liked it
Three-and-a-half. Thought this one plodded along a bit, but I liked the star turn by Arthur Brown. However, I thought that the age of the book showed itself a bit when it came to the race relation stuff.
Red Heaven
Jul 06, 2015 Red Heaven rated it really liked it
Ideally I would rate this 3.5 stars. It really fell between the two ratings for me.

The pro: everyone loves a puzzle, and this gives us a literal one. It's exciting seeing the cops work their way round, trying to get all the pictures of the puzzle.

It was nice that Arthur Brown was a main character in this book, whereas the white detectives are usually taking the lead in the books.

The con: Case cracked by employing a horrible bit of racist stereotyping

Very obvious stereotypes of gay people.

But the
Jasmiina F
Oct 03, 2014 Jasmiina F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I loved this book. Ed McBain's crime novels are all creative and well written and I just love the characters in these books.
Carobe
May 06, 2014 Carobe rated it really liked it
Shelves: deckare
Pusslet
Gfec
Jan 06, 2016 Gfec rated it it was amazing
one of best EdMcBain 87s , misleading puzzle of events, characters, traces, streets, potential robbers/killers, social losers, miscellaneous policeman and labyrinth of all that mess is drifting to resolving the next labyrinth of jigsaw of pieces of photograph of treasure. and , last step is hardest and really last in these crime revelation. "short and sweet, sweat and cake, cat and mouse/treasure and cops" ...more
Aileen Bernadette Urquhart
Aug 20, 2014 Aileen Bernadette Urquhart rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
We're up to 1970. Women wearing more up to date clothes. Still sexist, and now McBain has a pop at homosexuals, and there is more focus on racial tension. Less humour in this book, and more graphic violence. I found it was a tad complicated to follow, but at least McBain worked at a story. A couple of books lately have been very scant on plot. Can't wait to read the next one, but think I'll read a classic first.
Betty Church

I enjoyed this story. It has wit and an enjoyable plot. Had me guessing a little too. Do yourself a good turn and read it.
Nikmaack
May 21, 2013 Nikmaack rated it really liked it
I'd forgotten how much fun Ed McBain is. Nice, hardboiled police procedural with a sense of humour.
doug bowman
May 28, 2012 doug bowman rated it really liked it
First McBain I ever read
Valerie Palangas
Valerie Palangas rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Simon Powell
Simon Powell rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Kelly
Kelly added it
Feb 02, 2016
timothy smith
timothy smith rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Jim Fagan
Jim Fagan rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
William Kirkland
William Kirkland rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Jose added it
Jan 21, 2016
  • Candyland
  • The Kill: A Hunt Country Suspense Novel
  • Out of Time (Casey Jones Mysteries #2)
  • Not Comin' Home to You
  • Bottleneck (Scott Cullen Mysteries #5)
  • Stealing Trinity
  • Red Light (Merci Rayborn #2)
  • Storm Surge
  • Gently By the Shore
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Never Forget
  • Noble Cause, A
  • Slaves of Valhalla (The Prometheus Wars, #2)
  • Dover Beach (The Last P.I., #1)
  • The Case of the Calendar Girl
  • Bump in the Night
  • Night Blind (Blake Sanders, #1)
  • El Gavilan
Excerpted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_McBain

'''Ed McBain''' (October 15, 1926– July 6, 2005) is one of the pen names of an [[American literature|American author]] and [[screenwriter]]. Born '''Salvatore Albert Lombino''', he legally adopted the name '''Evan Hunter''' in 1952. While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as '''Ed McBain''', a name he used for m
More about Ed McBain...

87th Precinct (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1)
  • The Mugger (87th Precinct #2)
  • The Pusher
  • The Con Man (87th Precinct, #4)
  • Killer's Choice (87th Precinct, #5)
  • Killer's Payoff (87th Precinct #6)
  • Killer's Wedge
  • Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)
  • 'Til Death (87th Precinct, #9)
  • King's Ransom (87th Precinct #10)