Start by marking “Jigsaw (87th Precinct #24)” as Want to Read:
Jigsaw (87th Precinct #24)

Jigsaw (87th Precinct #24)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  417 ratings  ·  11 reviews
-- Jigsaw keeps readers on the edge of their seats as cops are forced to play a game with a demented killer who delivers clues to his puzzle via dead bodies. Cops rush to solve the mystery before more "pieces of the puzzle" are delivered.
Published December 1st 2000 by Warner Books (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Jigsaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jigsaw

James Thane
When two men turn up dead in a sleazy apartment, one shot and the other stabbed, detectives Brown and Carella conclude that the man who lived in the apartment surprised a burglar and killed him, but not before the burglar was able to inflict a fatal blow on the tenant. It seems like an open-and-shut case until the detectives discover that one of the men is holding a small piece torn from a photograph. What could that be all about?

Shortly thereafter, an insurance investigator shows up in the squa
Cathy
If you don't mind dead bodies piling up, this was kind of a fun story. The location of the loot from a bank robbery seven years ago is shown in a photograph that was cut up into small jigsaw puzzle pieces. Each of the crooks in on the bank robbery gave their piece to someone - just in case. Good thing too - as all the crooks died in the failed getaway plan, but the $750,000 take was never found. Detectives Carella and Brown get drawn into trying to solve the puzzle along with the insurance adjus ...more
Skip
Arthur Brown, as squeal, catches a double murder: one shot dead, one stabbed in the carotid artery. He finds a piece of a photo clutched in one of the dead man's hands. Then, an insurance investigator shows up to tie the deaths and photo to a six year-old bank robbery, where the loot ($750,000) was never found. Brown goes undercover to ferret out the remaining seven pieces. Taut police thriller, with double dealing galore.
Mike O'connell
Another great read. Entertaining and fast. I really enjoyed the intergation dialogues. I went to the library this morning and checked two more.
Susan Chamberlain
This is the epitome of an old-fashioned, cop and robber type mystery. Great airport reading.
Jasmiina F
I loved this book. Ed McBain's crime novels are all creative and well written and I just love the characters in these books.
Carobe
Pusslet
Aileen Bernadette Urquhart
We're up to 1970. Women wearing more up to date clothes. Still sexist, and now McBain has a pop at homosexuals, and there is more focus on racial tension. Less humour in this book, and more graphic violence. I found it was a tad complicated to follow, but at least McBain worked at a story. A couple of books lately have been very scant on plot. Can't wait to read the next one, but think I'll read a classic first.
Betty Church

I enjoyed this story. It has wit and an enjoyable plot. Had me guessing a little too. Do yourself a good turn and read it.
Nikmaack
I'd forgotten how much fun Ed McBain is. Nice, hardboiled police procedural with a sense of humour.
doug bowman
First McBain I ever read
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Daddyd Smith
Daddyd Smith is currently reading it
Nov 10, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Case Hopkins
Case Hopkins marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Katy Todd
Katy Todd marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
  • Candyland
  • Not Comin' Home to You
  • Red Light (Merci Rayborn #2)
  • Bump in the Night
  • The Edison Effect: A Professor Bradshaw Mystery
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Stealing Trinity
  • El Gavilan
  • Storm Surge
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • Death Toll (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine #3)
  • The Kill: A Hunt Country Suspense Novel
  • Slaves of Valhalla (The Prometheus Wars, #2)
  • Noble Cause, A
  • Out of Time (Casey Jones Mysteries #2)
  • By Hook or By Crook and 30 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year
  • Blood Moon (Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
  • Frozen Assets (Officer Gunnhilder, #1)
Ed McBain is a pseudonym of Evan Hunter, who was born and raised as Salvatore Lombino in New York City, living in East Harlem until the age of 12, at which point his family moved to the Bronx. He attended Olinville Junior High School, then Evander Childs High School, before winning an Art Students League scholarship. Later, he was admitted as an art student at Cooper Union.

Hunter served in the Nav
More about Ed McBain...
Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1) Ice (87th Precinct, #36) The Mugger (87th Precinct #2) Let's Hear It For The Deaf Man (87th Precinct, #27) Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)