Start by marking “A Portrait of Emily (Portrait, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Portrait of Emily (Portrait, #2)

A Portrait of Emily (Portrait #2)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  9 reviews
When Peter Brandon is commissioned to paint Emily Hastings' portrait, his keen psychic awareness unlocks the dark secret that has haunted her since childhood. Now on the brink of at last finding happiness in the arms of the man she loves, she is faced with her father's resolute desire to destroy her life.

When her father, Charles Hastings, is found murdered, Emily is suspec
Published May 29th 2003 by

To ask other readers questions about A Portrait of Emily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Portrait of Emily

Okay I admit to being a little wary of this story because of the whole plot with Joey. I remember Jeff reminiscing about him quite fondly in the first book and I'm always apprehensive about the ex-boyfriend storylines with their usual potential for love triangles and second thoughts and other unpleasant issues.

I'm so glad all my worries were for nothing! :)
I've been absolutely delighted how Jeff and Peter handled this situation, how Jeff was totally sincere and honest about Joey's visit and what
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Although I gave the first one 1.25 stars, I'm willing to give the second one a try since I've liked other books by this author.

Update 6/6/15
Well that was a mistake.

He was held at gunpoint by a psycho cop (as he says) a year before and it's just faded to an unpleasant memory?

Just a few pages in and we already have a sex scene.

Info dumps galore.

Used whom wrong.

Head jumping mid paragraph.

Cheating. Out of the fucking blue. (He let the kiss progress, and got hard before he pushed him away and a f
Emily Hansings is a quiet, nervous and beautiful young woman who is newly engaged to marry. Peter has been hired by her fiancée to paint Emily's portrait after he sees the outstanding job Peter did on Emily's cousin's portrait. Peter senses an emotional connection between Emily and he and think there are secrets that this fragile and lovely young woman is keeping. This novel is a disturbing look at child abuse in every form, it's a book that cuts deep to the core. When Emily's secret are let out ...more
Sep 12, 2014 CB rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-f
This story is still based on the MC's Philip and Jeff. Even though Emily is shown on the cover and plays a major role, she is not really a MC in that there are no f/m sex scenes. The sex is kept to the males and it is hot!

The book does cover incest and pedophilia, however, it does not go into describing specifics but rather the results of. Very tough subjects to write about without being offensive but I thought the author did it very well.

The characters are so engaging I found myself completely
Love this series. The characters are interesting though some times cliche. It has humor, it's sexy and although the mysteries were kind of easy to figure out I enjoyed the ride immensely. This particular book had characters you couldn't help but sympathize with and some you couldn't help but want to see dead.
I'm glad that some people in this story are dead.
I have some problem with the fact that Emily didn't go to see a psychologist and that, again, sex with love, seems to be the solution afters years of abuse.
For the rest, I love everything again!
I love this series, and I've fallen for the main characters.

Warning: This book has a mother who needs to be smacked and smacked hard.
Dale Hankins
loved the book really like the main characters--somewhat graphic--would love to meet the characters in real life
Beiza added it
Oct 03, 2015
Elisa Rolle
Elisa Rolle marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Loisa marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Karina marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Sammyd marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Loisa added it
Mar 20, 2015
Andy added it
Mar 26, 2015
Lynnette Hartwig
Lynnette Hartwig marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Sal Dinapoli
Sal Dinapoli marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
J.P. Bowie was born and raised in Aberdeen, Scotland. He wrote his first (unpublished) novel – a science fiction tale of brawny men and brawnier women that made him a little suspect in the eyes of his family for a while.

Leaving home at age eighteen for the bright lights of London, he found himself in the midst of a “diverse and creative crowd” that eventually led him to the performing arts. For th
More about J.P. Bowie...

Portrait (6 books)
  • A Portrait of Phillip (Portrait, #1)
  • A Portrait of Andrew (Portrait, #3)
  • A Self-Portrait (Portrait, #4)
  • A Portrait of Olivia (Portrait, #5)
  • A Christmas Portrait (Portrait, #6)
My Vampire and I (My Vampire and I, #1) Ride 'Em Cowboy (Ride 'Em, #1) My Vampire Lover (My Vampire and I, #2) A Deadly Game (A Nick Fallon Investigation, #1) Duet in Blood (My Vampire and I, #3)